Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
13 appearances and 7 clean sheets, say no more.

3KDré

It's honestly crazy to me most Liverpool and Arsenal fans I know don't even think he's top 5 in the league. Apparently Saliba and Konate are both better.

Drz

Wow. I had my doubts, but wow. I wish Fergie had managed to sign him back when!!?? Wish him a healthy 2023, should stand us in good stead.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Varane is great. He makes defending look really easy. He is not as spectacular physically as I thought he'd might be, but he gets on with it and is very well rounded. Some can get the better of him, but not many. In a well coached defensive set up, he is near world class. Reminds me a bit of Rio when he "silently dominated" defensively.

Djemba-Djemba

Absolute top tier quality.

The whole team seems better and calmer when he's playing.

If he stays fit for the whole season we make top 4, and probably comfortably so.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Varane is great. He makes defending look really easy. He is not as spectacular physically as I thought he'd might be, but he gets on with it and is very well rounded. Some can get the better of him, but not many. In a well coached defensive set up, he is near world class. Reminds me a bit of Rio when he "silently dominated" defensively.
He isn't near world class, he is world class and has been for a long time, the only doubt about him was whether he could stay fit, that's obviously still a concern but that's the only one

Near World Class :lol: bloke has a very good argument of being the best defender of his entire generation. He and Ramos are by far the most decorated.

PaulScholes99

That can't be right, surely?
It's true.

League:
20 goals conceded
15 without Varane on the pitch / 589 minutes / 39 minutes per goal conceded
5 with Varane on the pitch / 851 minutes / 170 minutes per goal conceded

The 5 goals we conceded with Varane on the pitch:
1 against Liverpool, Casemiro didn't play
1 against Arsenal, Casemiro got subbed in but after the goal
3 against City (tecnically he wasn't on the pitch for one of the three as it was a corner where he got treatment outside the field, but still..), Casemiro didn't play first half

BUT gotta be said, Casemiro and Varane have 'only' been on the pitch together for 451 minutes in the league and 45 in EL. Still impressive, but not some crazy unbelievable stat. Anyway a good sign that we didn't concede a single goal when they were both on the pitch against Tottenham, Newcastle and Chelsea (60 minutes together).

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Thats a cute stat, but lets be honest. The reason we havent conceded is DDG. This pair has been great but somehow our rivals get clear chances which david has saved, for example our last game. He should be getting the credit for the clean sheets first

Real Name

Thats a cute stat, but lets be honest. The reason we havent conceded is DDG. This pair has been great but somehow our rivals get clear chances which david has saved, for example our last game. He should be getting the credit for the clean sheets first
Thing is, opponent dont get so many chances as they used to, in big part thanks to Casemiro and Varane, and when they do there's DDG to stop it.

the_cliff

It's true.

League:
20 goals conceded
15 without Varane on the pitch / 589 minutes / 39 minutes per goal conceded
5 with Varane on the pitch / 851 minutes / 170 minutes per goal conceded

The 5 goals we conceded with Varane on the pitch:
1 against Liverpool, Casemiro didn't play
1 against Arsenal, Casemiro got subbed in but after the goal
3 against City (tecnically he wasn't on the pitch for one of the three as it was a corner where he got treatment outside the field, but still..), Casemiro didn't play first half

BUT gotta be said, Casemiro and Varane have 'only' been on the pitch together for 451 minutes in the league and 45 in EL. Still impressive, but not some crazy unbelievable stat. Anyway a good sign that we didn't concede a single goal when they were both on the pitch against Tottenham, Newcastle and Chelsea (60 minutes together).
Thanks for the breakdown.

Our change in quality of defending with/without Varane is incredible. Shame he doesn't get the credit he deserves from the media. Also considering 3 of the 5 were against City is even more amazing.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Near World Class :lol: bloke has a very good argument of being the best defender of his entire generation. He and Ramos are by far the most decorated.
That's just my reservations speaking. A lot of great young players struggle when they get older, especially when injury prone. He certainly looks the part right now.

Glorio

With Varane and Martial (at least for now) whenever I see their performance threads bumped just before a game it's incredibly concerning! :lol:

A-man

Thought it was an ok match but below normal standard from him. He was slightly too passive in first half. The goal was on DDG but the situation came after first Case lost a duel in the box, then Varane didn’t defend the pass. Second half I thought he was much better. Should also be said it can’t be easy being CB and paired with Shaw who was all over the place and often in the wrong position, was overplayed etc.

Lost bear

Yes, exactly what I was thinking- 'silent domination'. His positioning is just so good. It would be easier for other clubs fans not to notice, I think- and it sounds like that's exactly what's happening. Silent domination, innit?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So that was the first goal that we conceded with both Varane and Casemiro on the pitch right? Bound to happen at some point.
Shouldn't even have been allowed either. Coady was 5 feet offside and Varane had to make a last ditch attempt to get the ball before it reached him.

If that isn't interfering with play then I don't know what is. Anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.