Rashford considering his future...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ok, thank you for the balanced response but a few things on this.

1. I couldn't care less about his non-football ventures if he's not doing the job that allowed him to have the profile to achieve those things in the first place.

I've wanted the guy out for two years because his performances have been woeful even when he was scoring because he's detrimental to the way we play and in the long run it is going nowhere quickly.

2. On being on the same side. Are we really though? We've seen him barely move on the pitch this season in huge games, such as the Manchester derby. You can attribute that to injuries, mental health or whatever else but to me it was pretty obvious he couldn't be bothered.

On top of that, he's always been a very, very physical player and reliant on those characteristics. There's two issues here. If he's indeed crooked, we should get rid, as we don't need another Phil Jones. If he's still there physically, I still don't believe he fits in the way a team like us plays i.e. on the edge of the opponent's box (or how we should play...).

3. Finally, the double standards. For me, he's always looked a bit too clean for comfort and has been allowed way too much. I don't hear people supporting Martial the same way and they've basically been in the same form for 2 seasons (although Rashford was posting the numbers in the 2020/21 season).

It all comes down to the fact that I'm seeing another instance of Rooneyism. He looks done, the fans know it and can see it but we'll give him a new contract and he'll remain a toxic presence in the dressing room, just like he was last season (even if people like Neville would not say it outright).

This is all my opinion of course but I find it baffling how he's been given so much leeway for being poor at the start of his prime. If we were a serious football club, we'd sell this summer, like Mane and Liverpool and won't have to read any more of the bollocks after the Manchester derby where stories were coming out he was in huge demand.
Great post

Hercules

1. I couldn't care less about his non-football ventures if he's not doing the job that allowed him to have the profile to achieve those things in the first place.

I've wanted the guy out for two years because his performances have been woeful even when he was scoring because he's detrimental to the way we play and in the long run it is going nowhere quickly.

2. On being on the same side. Are we really though? We've seen him barely move on the pitch this season in huge games, such as the Manchester derby. You can attribute that to injuries, mental health or whatever else but to me it was pretty obvious he couldn't be bothered.

On top of that, he's always been a very, very physical player and reliant on those characteristics. There's two issues here. If he's indeed crooked, we should get rid, as we don't need another Phil Jones. If he's still there physically, I still don't believe he fits in the way a team like us plays i.e. on the edge of the opponent's box (or how we should play...).

3. Finally, the double standards. For me, he's always looked a bit too clean for comfort and has been allowed way too much. I don't hear people supporting Martial the same way and they've basically been in the same form for 2 seasons (although Rashford was posting the numbers in the 2020/21 season).

It all comes down to the fact that I'm seeing another instance of Rooneyism. He looks done, the fans know it and can see it but we'll give him a new contract and he'll remain a toxic presence in the dressing room, just like he was last season (even if people like Neville would not say it outright).

This is all my opinion of course but I find it baffling how he's been given so much leeway for being poor at the start of his prime. If we were a serious football club, we'd sell this summer, like Mane and Liverpool and won't have to read any more of the bollocks after the Manchester derby where stories were coming out he was in huge demand.
Sums up my feelings, excellent post.

Smores

With saf players were lucky to get a second chance and rashford is already on his 5th chance ?

And this is ignoring him downing tools and probably leaking dressing room info to journos, which quite frankly is unforgivable.

I don't get how anyone can support his continued presence in the starting xi ? If the club is seriously interested in winning silverware this is not how its done.
He certainly wouldn't have been tolerated this long under Sir Alex. He never accepted bad form for this long from anyone. The bigger reason though is players had to have some fire and fight to them and Rashford just doesn't have it.

I'm still hopeful that he has a purple patch of form. If he manages several decent games we might see some spark back. The idea of him as a star player is gone but he can still be useful.

AFC NimbleThumb

But kudos on the carefully-constructed post, with such disposable lines as "believe it or not, not every gesture footballers make is to appease you'. :lol:
From the poster that brought us disposable sentences such as. . .
Redcafe loses its shit and is justifiably wary of any PR-driven efforts by said athlete to get fans to forget the blatant disrespect shown last season.
So Redcafe [read Jem] is ‘justifiably wary of PR-driven efforts by said athlete to get fans to forget blah blah blah’. Sure reads like you think his ‘PR-driven efforts’ are done with Redcafe [read Jem] in mind. We can play a game of linguistic gymnastics all day long but its a tad absurd overreact to something not aimed at you [unless you’re a malnourished child of course] then say you’re ‘justifiably wary’ of it :lol:
However, ambling about the pitch and even turning his back on a goal-scoring opportunity as he did in a game back in January (I think it was Greenwood who cut it back for him) is not loss of confidence, in my opinion - it's moping, and that is unforgivable.
Yes Rashford’s poor performances attributed to losses this season but they weren’t the sole reason for our losses. Fundamentally we have a squad of players who should be a good teams 6th [maybe 5th] to 11th best players. The phenomena of blaming the singular player [was Pogba, was Lingard, was Martial, now Rashford] over the team is a bit futile when the malaise isn’t just with them.

Smores

How many years did Anderson play for us?
Think that's harsh on Andeson he never had seasons this bad. Even then Fergie fell out with him and pushed him to just a squad player. If he didn't have the enthusiasm he did I doubt he'd have been here so long.

That's the issue with Rashford there's no redeeming element right now. He's got another chance and if he doesn't take it he'll regret it forever.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Think that's harsh on Andeson he never had seasons this bad. Even then Fergie fell out with him and pushed him to just a squad player. If he didn't have the enthusiasm he did I doubt he'd have been here so long.
Oh he did. He was mostly woeful for us. A likeable fella by all accounts and I think Fergie was softer by then.

That's the issue with Rashford there's no redeeming element right now. He's got another chance and if he doesn't take it he'll regret it forever.
That'ts fair and I think he deserves the opportunity. I wonder if Fergie would have kept him motivated better than Ole and Ralf did. Probably.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
How many years did Anderson play for us?
Did you just compare a squad player to our supposed superstar who is gunning for a new contract that would be higher than his current £1m/month?

It's somewhat ironic Rashie's defenders are comparing him to a no-mark Portuguese.

Greck

I'm not convinced Rashford is "done", but anyone who does believes this has a sound basis for his belief.
It has definitely been interesting to see the double standard afforded him for things like leaks and branding. Even from the likes of Neville who gave other players hell for loafing on the pitch and having a life off of it.

Grande

Thanks for a more elaborate response than most. I’ll try to take it in point by point.

1. I agree about the football part being the bottom line for a footballer. I don’t want Ten Hag, Murtaugh and Arnold sitting like Woodward looking at the commercial usefulness or PR attractiveness of a player as a part of why we should aquire or depart with him. I like and reapect what Rashford and Mata have done for other people than themselves, but it should not be a reason to keep them on if it doesn’t aid the football. Though there are quite a few posters who go further than that, and morally condemn Rashford as something like a bad human being based on mostly guesswork. I’ll be extra careful with that based on the good stuff he’s done for others.

2. Are we on the same side? It’s a fair question. Do we know? Evidently we are, formally. Also, we have had several managers and coaches commending Rashford in particular for his professional attitude, his effort in training, his humility towards the club and his teammates. Are we to overrule their judgement based on rumours and layman body language interpretation? I’m not saying your impression is wrong, he might not be bothered. It might be other things as well, though. We know he was seriously by injury for a long spell, and it would be harsh, even strange, to accuse a player of lack of effort or attitude when he’s playing every bloody match for one or two years through injury, pain and risk of spoiling his carreer. The last five months may be another matter. We know several players struggled with understanding Rangnik’s ideas towards the end, and looked everything ranging from brain dead to sabotaging to apathetic during games. It might be attitude, but it might be attitude problems most of us would show, even the best of us. Maybe even experienced, professional and lovable guys like Edi Cavani. Just some food for thought.

3. What is his talent? What might he contribute? Perhaps the most fair questions. I don’t really think there’s any point in measuring out stick for a player to ‘even out’ what critique another has got. If anything, what the incredibly silly ‘Rashford vs Martial’ thread shows, it’s that there are plenty dishing out both criticism and vitriol for both, even when they play well. I don’t really see anyone being spoiled or let off the hook, quite the opposite. To me, just the idea of pinning to team mates against each other like that sounds like a blueprint for divisiveness. Then again, little over a year ago I predicted that Martial would soon turn a corner and become world class, so maybe I’m too supportive in general? I do question comparing a 25 year old Rashford with a 30 year old Rooney or Mane when it comes to carreer trajectory. For me, if a coach like Erik ten Hag looks at Rashford in training all summer and thinks: ‘He’s not physically spent, he’s technical level is useful for this team, he’s not a toxic presence’, I doubt any of us having input and competency even marginally as valuable as Ten Hag will regarding that question. Even Gary Neville (even if he’s not dead to me).

I’m very uncertain as to which version of Rashford we’ll see next season. I do think he is not physically past his best, and I don’t agree he’s technically limited. I think he needs to develop mentally and in regards to understanding of play amd decisions, and I think that’s very possible for a 25 year old. What I’m willing to bet, is that Ten Hag and the football people at the club won’t agree with you and won’t rate the cash of a potential sale above the potential of his talent. That’s my gut feeling and summation of the facts, and perhaps also the optimistic view. We’ll see.

Apokalips

Fully agreed

Zlatattack

2022/23 is last chance saloon for Rashford. He either delivers or he should be out on his ass. No contract talks until January.

lex talionis

It has definitely been interesting to see the double standard afforded him for things like leaks and branding. Even from the likes of Neville who gave other players hell for loafing on the pitch and having a life off of it.
I truly do appreciate the great work Rashford has done for the children, but he has to be held accountable for the performance of his day job. We all understand bad days and even bad seasons, but what supporters don't understand is a lack of effort.

LDUred

Rashford in terms of footballing ability is in a different league to the Danny Welbecks of this world but based on last season's form, you would probably rather have Danny Welbeck because at least you are guaranteed a shift from Danny, along with pressing, linking of play, and movement.

Absolutely last chance saloon for Rashford next season in terms of getting back to where he was. Put up or shut up.

Last edited:

jem

So Redcafe [read Jem] is ‘justifiably wary of PR-driven efforts by said athlete to get fans to forget blah blah blah’. Sure reads like you think his ‘PR-driven efforts’ are done with Redcafe [read Jem] in mind. We can play a game of linguistic gymnastics all day long but its a tad absurd overreact to something not aimed at you [unless you’re a malnourished child of course] then say you’re ‘justifiably wary’ of it :lol:

Yes Rashford’s poor performances attributed to losses this season but they weren’t the sole reason for our losses. Fundamentally we have a squad of players who should be a good teams 6th [maybe 5th] to 11th best players. The phenomena of blaming the singular player [was Pogba, was Lingard, was Martial, now Rashford] over the team is a bit futile when the malaise isn’t just with them.
the amount of effort you put into these posts is quite amusing. Bless.

jem

Any particular reason for bolding ‘attributed’? I think you mean ‘contributed’, but thought I’d check.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Rashford in terms of footballing ability is in a different league to the Danny Welbecks of this world but based on last season's form, you would probably rather have Danny Welbeck because at least you are guaranteed a shift from Danny, along with pressing, linking of play, and movement.

Absolutely last chance saloon for Rashford next season in terms of getting back to where he was. Put up or shut up.
Danny Welbeck had better link up play and wasn't reliant on his pace. He also wasn't a lazy git and put in the effort. Rashford, when he was breaking out, looked to be a more clinical goalscorer and finisher of a variety of goals but that has all gone now. When was the last time he scored a header or a tap in?

roseguy64

Danny Welbeck had better link up play and wasn't reliant on his pace. He also wasn't a lazy git and put in the effort. Rashford, when he was breaking out, looked to be a more clinical goalscorer and finisher of a variety of goals but that has all gone now. When was the last time he scored a header or a tap in?
He scored a tap in last season. And he barely played last season so not sure how he could score a lot of goals.

stw2022

Welbeck was a bog-standard cake. For a while we hopped Rashford would be the icing on the cake. Turns out there’s no cake, it’s just icing. I’d rather have bog-standard a non-iced cake than just icing

There will always be a player who that match, that day, that weekend or season - or at any point in the history of the club, English football, or ever in sport - who did something worse or looked worse than Rashford so the excuses will always be there.

Even if his only contribution to a game is having a shit in the goalmouth we’d be inundated with Lineker comparisons competing with “He feeds kids” chants

Last edited:

Kellyiom

It was confirmed by Rangnick that Rashford trained to very high standard last season. But he can't convert the form in the training into the match.

It's more phycological and confidence issues, hope ETH or someone can help him.
That's interesting, must have missed that from Rangnick. Ralf didn't seem slow to call out poor attitudes and seemed fairly transparent if someone was playing poorly because of an injury, he'd say. That gives me a bit more optimism that Rashford can just focus and plough through this poor form. The club itself has been in a steep decline and it's basically an extended family socially, for these younger lads, so it's naturally going to be disruptive.

AFC NimbleThumb

Any particular reason for bolding ‘attributed’? I think you mean ‘contributed’, but thought I’d check.
We can play a game of linguistic gymnastics all day long but its a tad absurd
The fact I called out your next move in the post you replied to sums you up perfectly. Typical Caf behaviour, make nonsensical statements then instead of furthering the discussion subvert it.

Any particular reason for being ‘justifiably wary’ of something he’s been doing long before his drop in form & that isn’t aimed at your demographic? Didn’t think so but thought I’d check.

The amount of effort you put into avoiding addressing your initial comments is indeed amusing. Bless.

Edit: Did a quick check of your recent posts for grammar. . .
Just a far better player for us. Lingard came nowhere the level Mata displayed im his first few years (and that’s less an endorsement of Mata than it is a critique of how substandard Lingard has been.)
All this from a man that can’t spell ‘in’. That’s the trouble with going off on side missions because you can’t back up your initial nonsense. We’ve all made errors. Pathetic move.

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

That's interesting, must have missed that from Rangnick. Ralf didn't seem slow to call out poor attitudes and seemed fairly transparent if someone was playing poorly because of an injury, he'd say. That gives me a bit more optimism that Rashford can just focus and plough through this poor form. The club itself has been in a steep decline and it's basically an extended family socially, for these younger lads, so it's naturally going to be disruptive.

The below article stating that the club needs to help Rashford on finding form for the match.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...cus-Rashford-perform-games-does-training.html

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He scored a tap in last season. And he barely played last season so not sure how he could score a lot of goals.
Barely played? I think he made over 20 appearances in the league and played in 5 out of 8 available CL matches.

My point was, when he first broke out, he played in a different way. Making runs in behind, being in positions to score headers in the penalty box, getting on the end of chances in the box etc. Nowadays all he seems to want to do is receive the ball on his feet and cut inside.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It was confirmed by Rangnick that Rashford trained to very high standard last season. But he can't convert the form in the training into the match.

It's more phycological and confidence issues, hope ETH or someone can help him.
It's true. Tbf how could you miss that? Rangnick said it many times about Rashford. He compared him to Sancho's difficulties at the beginning of the season, and that he was hoping for a similar outcome for him with time too, but if anything it just got worse to the point he appeared broken mentally by the end, and needed taking out for his own good.

Rangnick in Jan:
“He is trying to give his very best and he does show that in training. There have been a couple of training sessions over the past few weeks when he has performed at the highest level and that is why I have always given him the chance to play again.

“As long as he does that, he will always make my list to be involved within the starting XI. Of course, it’s about showing that on a regular basis and continuously playing at a high level. For him though, like anyone else, there is still room for improvement.”

Speaking to the press ahead of this weekend's game in the Midlands, Ralf said that he believed Rashford's best form was not too far away, and pointed to the opening 20 minutes of the cup tie against Villa as evidence.

“I think in the first 20 minutes of the game against Aston Villa, he was good,” assessed Rangnick. “He was on fire and constantly involved.

“But then after that, he didn’t play on the same kind of energetic level that he did in the first half-hour. Of course we need to speak about that because he cannot do that regularly.”
Rangnick in Feb:
"We had a very similar situation, if I remember, with Jadon six or seven weeks ago,” Rangnick said,

"He is the best example of what can happen, again it’s the player himself who has to perform and get the best out of his own performance – and this is the same with Marcus."

Sancho initially failed to make an impact following his high-profile £73million transfer from Borussia Dortmund.

But after a rocky start, the 21-year-old winger is now beginning to find his feet in Rangnick’s side, with two goals and two assists coming in his last six games.

Sancho’s form has been in stark contrast to Rashford, who was hauled off in the 75th minute for Anthony Elanga against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday.

Elanga went on to score the all-important equaliser in the 1-1 draw in Spain, but Rangnick rejects the idea that there is anything hampering Rashford.

"He is definitely not injured. He definitely has no issues with his shoulder any more,” he explained on Friday.

"We have spoken a lot about Marcus in the last couple of weeks and I have personally spoken a lot with him.

"It's with him like with all the other players, when it counts and they are on the pitch, they just have to perform and I am pretty sure he is not happy with his performances right now.

"Right now he is trying to find his best possible shape and performance, and we just try to give him helping hands with everything we can. We show him video footage and we speak with him regularly.

"In training he is in top form. That is why I decided to play him (in Madrid). Now it’s about having that transformation from training performance to the competition in the league – and this is the next step he has to take."
After he started to leave him out in March:
"To play on the same level he trains," Rangnick replied when asked what Rashford had to do to get back into the team. "This is all, we spoke about that a week ago, two weeks ago in a press conference. "Marcus is training well, he's got an abundant of talent, he's got almost everything you need for a modern striker, it's about transforming the performance of the training sessions into the regular games."
End of April:
Ralf Rangnick is hoping Marcus Rashford can replicate his training ground form onto the pitch at Old Trafford against Chelsea.

The Mancunian striker exploded into scoring form this season with three goals in his first four matches of the season, but he has since been on a barren spell since scoring against Brentford and West Ham in January.

However, he starts tonight against Thomas Tuchel’s side, looking to end the campaign on a high.

Asked if he hoped this would be a big night for Rashford our interim boss Rangnick told MUTV. “Yeah I hope so as, often before, he has been good in training and I very much hope, not only for himself but also for the team, that he can also transform that onto the pitch tonight.”
Just my opinion, Rashford's biggest issue is how he can start matches sharp and with confidence, but once he makes a mistake, he struggles to recover from it, and his performance nosedives from thereon. For whatever reasons, he seems to be his own worst enemy right now.

Last edited:

Kaos

I'd happily swap a 24 year old Rashford for a 24 year old Welbeck. The latter at least puts the work in and doesn't have this bratty sense of entitlement, nor does he yap away to his mates in the media the moment things don't go his way.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I'd happily swap a 24 year old Rashford for a 24 year old Welbeck. The latter at least puts the work in and doesn't have this bratty sense of entitlement, nor does he yap away to his mates in the media the moment things don't go his way.
So would I right now. I just don't understand why he doesn't channel his frustrations into regaining possession after a mistake instead. I can forgive any lack of quality if the attitude is still there to help the team. That's been my biggest frustration with him ever since his return.

Dr. Dwayne

Did you just compare a squad player to our supposed superstar who is gunning for a new contract that would be higher than his current £1m/month?

It's somewhat ironic Rashie's defenders are comparing him to a no-mark Portuguese.
Brazilian. You could at least get that right.

And the only one calling Rashford a superstar is you.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Brazilian. You could at least get that right.

And the only one calling Rashford a superstar is you.
Oh, I've made a mistake, my whole point must be moot...

As for Rashford being a superstar, his bloody wage and new demands suggest so. If he was on 100k/week, he wouldn't be as big of a problem. Not sure why that needs to be explained.

Dr. Dwayne

Oh, I've made a mistake, my whole point must be moot...

As for Rashford being a superstar, his bloody wage and new demands suggest so. If he was on 100k/week, he wouldn't be as big of a problem. Not sure why that needs to be explained.
The point was Fergie wasn't always ruthless as was claimed. He definitely displayed some sentimentality or softness towards the end of his managerial career. He certainly wasn't same manager who ditched players like Ince and Stam at the height of their abilities.

The club is a mess. Not a single one of our players has improved in the last two or three years. Well, maybe Greenwood but he fecked that up. If ten Hag can provide some stability and systematically help players improve then those players who want to be here, apply themselves and maintain the right attitude should be afforded the upcoming season to prove their worth at least. It's probably last chance saloon for Rashford but he's earned the chance, at least.

Him wanting to discuss improved terms is ridiculous. In the club's position I wouldn't tell him to feck off but it's fine to sit down, open discussions, ask him what happened last year and highlight that based on recent performances he doesn't merit improved terms, but it's something that can be revisited later. Hopefully the structural changes mean we won't simply hand out new contracts to protect value but rather use fresh terms to incentivize players to give their best at all times and build those deals with performance related bonuses that inspire players to show their worth on the pitch.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The point was Fergie wasn't always ruthless as was claimed. He definitely displayed some sentimentality or softness towards the end of his managerial career. He certainly wasn't same manager who ditched players like Ince and Stam at the height of their abilities.

The club is a mess. Not a single one of our players has improved in the last two or three years. Well, maybe Greenwood but he fecked that up. If ten Hag can provide some stability and systematically help players improve then those players who want to be here, apply themselves and maintain the right attitude should be afforded the upcoming season to prove their worth at least. It's probably last chance saloon for Rashford but he's earned the chance, at least.

Him wanting to discuss improved terms is ridiculous. In the club's position I wouldn't tell him to feck off but it's fine to sit down, open discussions, ask him what happened last year and highlight that based on recent performances he doesn't merit improved terms, but it's something that can be revisited later. Hopefully the structural changes mean we won't simply hand out new contracts to protect value but rather use fresh terms to incentivize players to give their best at all times and build those deals with performance related bonuses that inspire players to show their worth on the pitch.
That's about as nailed it as it gets.

Any chance we can sticky this post mods?

fallengt

Club is so spineless. It's so tiresome.
If LvG hadn't said firm no, Welbeck would be still playing for us.

Rightnr

Not necessarily wrong thinking here but I'd argue not ruthless enough.

And again comparing what Fergie did with fringe players on small salaries is not the same. Fergie is also the guy that didn't put Berbatov on the bench for a CL final.

Club is so spineless. It's so tiresome.
If LvG hadn't said firm no, Welbeck would be still playing for us.
He also benched De Gea until he signed a new deal. People are just way too nice nowadays.

LvG was not always right but I loved his decisiveness. If only the club would be similar in its current decision-making.

roseguy64

Barely played? I think he made over 20 appearances in the league and played in 5 out of 8 available CL matches.

My point was, when he first broke out, he played in a different way. Making runs in behind, being in positions to score headers in the penalty box, getting on the end of chances in the box etc. Nowadays all he seems to want to do is receive the ball on his feet and cut inside.
This is all a matter of perspective.