Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

Regarding the 85%, I think it's easy to criticize those who got fed up of him last season but even the season before that his goals masked some seriously dire performances and workrate and I always insisted he looked fecking injured for the majority of the time.

All players go through rough patches, you only have to think of Giggs in 2002-03 or in 2007-08 or Rooney in early 2010 but geez, that was a LONG period of bad form for Rashford where he didn't even looked arsed half the time last season. In this instance I can't blame fans for losing patience.
I think what makes it look bad is that we knew he had some major injury issues with a fractured back and that makes more then half the time he was poor. He played with that issue and so we add it to the frustration time where, maybe other players would have taken the time off to heal. He then went off to the Euros instead of recovering and that did not help.

I'm not even mad for the votes, I might have voted myself for "sale" I don't remember. But the comments about him as a never been good/ etc player are just bad.

Superden

lets be honest, for someone whose only talent according to the caf is to run fast (into blind alleys) hes done alrite at the world cup.
theres constructive criticism, theres frustration, theres annoyance and then theres borderline psychotic hatred. a lot of that was aimed in rashys direction. poor show

Quagmire Maguire

Haven't changed my opinion of him, I still want him gone. If he was on less than a 100k a week I would say he is a good squad option. However on the salary he will command 350k+ then no I don't want him and definitely don't think he warrants that after a couple of months of being better than the shite he served up for 2 years! I don't have a short memory.

It's brilliant for him and United that his form has improved and I am happy for him. I still don't believe we win anything with him as our main man, once again as I have said time and time again I sincerely hope I am proved completely wrong. I will enjoy eating humble pie whilst Rashford lifts the champions League trophy in a United top.

jackal&hyde

Haven't changed my opinion of him, I still want him gone. If he was on less than a 100k a week I would say he is a good squad option. However on the salary he will command 350k+ then no I don't want him and definitely don't think he warrants that after a couple of months of being better than the shite he served up for 2 years! I don't have a short memory.

It's brilliant for him and United that his form has improved and I am happy for him. I still don't believe we win anything with him as our main man, once again as I have said time and time again I sincerely hope I am proved completely wrong. I will enjoy eating humble pie whilst Rashford lifts the champions League trophy in a United top.
You don't have a short memory. So you remember that in 2019-2020 he scored 22. The next season, 2020-2021 he scored 21 goals. Then he broke his back and played like that for the next season instead of the club giving him the time to recover. Scored just 5 in the 21-22 season.

This season he already has 8 with less then half of a season gone and both club and International form says he is getting back to his best.

So how much a week is a 20+ goals a season 24yo should get? Where do we get a better one?

mctrials23

Its hard. Heart says that we should perhaps cash in on him but head says that makes zero sense.

He is currently our player. Replacing him with a better quality player would probably cost 100m+ for anything close to a guaranteed improvement. Anyone we bring in will want something approaching Rashfords current wages. We also only have 18 months left on his contract so won't get 100% of his value.

Simply doesn't make financial sense to sell him even if you ignore the football side of things.

If we can get him on a lower basic wage but higher performance bonuses that would be perfect but I doubt that will happen. What I don't think we should do is give him an insane contract. He simply isn't worth it and has massive holes in his game still that mean he isn't worth huge wages. His mentality issues also hang over him.

AndySmith1990

lets be honest, for someone whose only talent according to the caf is to run fast (into blind alleys) hes done alrite at the world cup.
theres constructive criticism, theres frustration, theres annoyance and then theres borderline psychotic hatred. a lot of that was aimed in rashys direction. poor show
Haven't seen any hatred. He was rightly criticised for an extended period of poor performances.

Superden

Haven't seen any hatred. He was rightly criticised for an extended period of poor performances.
there was all sorts of abuse hurled at him, on match day threads as well on other pages in the caf. questioning his ability, his attitude, his personality, his outside interests etc etc

AndySmith1990

there was all sorts of abuse hurled at him, on match day threads as well on other pages in the caf. questioning his ability, his attitude, his personality, his outside interests etc etc
Not arsed about his personal interests, but his attitude on the pitch was poor, as were his performances. If he turns it around and plays brilliantly in future then that'll be brilliant, but it won't change the fact the criticism at the time was justified

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Go and learn what abuse means. Criticizing his performance on the field is not abuse. Sick of these misguided knights on a white horse defending lazy millionaires

Frank White

Go and learn what abuse means. Criticizing his performance on the field is not abuse. Sick of these misguided knights on a white horse defending lazy millionaires
Did you stop reading half way through his post or something? Critiquing his match day performances is literally what the player performance threads are for but once it gets to clothes he wears, people he talks too, hobbies etc it's just a bit weird tbh.

Superden

Did you stop reading half way through his post or something? Critiquing his match day performances is literally what the player performance threads are for but once it gets to clothes he wears, people he talks too, hobbies etc it's just a bit weird tbh.
like i said its like a psychosis, the levels of personal hatred for what are complete strangers.

Rightnr

I am not reading that drivel in full. If someone starts lumping legit abuse with fair criticism, he demonstrates a profound lack of ability to make a point

Rightnr

like i said its like a psychosis, the levels of personal hatred for what are complete strangers.
The only psychosis is the one in your head where you are making up strawmen to argue against. You know it because you are spouting your playbook phrases and cannot even come up with a good argument against the criticism which is more than fair.

Threesus

Guarantee he drops a stinker vs Senegal. They are not fodder like Iran and wales.

El Jefe

Club football can't come back soon enough for some of you, the world cup has made you lose all sense of perspective.

I was always down the middle with whether I wanted Rashford sold or to be given a new contract but there was more than enough reason not to. That doesn't suddenly dissappear because of goals against Iran and Wales.

He's not a world beater, that much is clear and any new contract will be close to £300k at the very least. For the level of talent he is, he's not good enough to command such a contract. Is he even a long term starter for us? I seriously doubt it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Difficult decision.
He's come back into his top form now, after a difficult couple of years for varying reasons.

Our massive problem is his agent will take one look at Sancho, on a reported 350k a week, and not unreasonably say that he's far out performing him, so should at least have parity!

OrcaFat

Regarding the 85%, I think it's easy to criticize those who got fed up of him last season but even the season before that his goals masked some seriously dire performances and workrate and I always insisted he looked fecking injured for the majority of the time.

All players go through rough patches, you only have to think of Giggs in 2002-03 or in 2007-08 or Rooney in early 2010 but geez, that was a LONG period of bad form for Rashford where he didn't even looked arsed half the time last season. In this instance I can't blame fans for losing patience.
The reason he looked injured is because he was.

He carried debilitating injuries for the best part of two years until he finally got his operation. Obviously it took him a while to get back up to speed and he didn’t cover himself with glory under Ralf. His attitude could have been better I suppose but his main problem was that long period of playing while injured.

roseguy64

Guarantee he drops a stinker vs Senegal. They are not fodder like Iran and wales.
*deletes memories of the numerous good Rashford goals and performances in big matches*
Guaranteed so true. Rashford has never played well in a big match.

Eli Zee

Criticism at the time was justified. He is turning it around. We'll see what level he is at in 2 years time, since he'll be at the club still probably.

jem

You would think he was in Haaland territory with the way the likes of Rio are going on about him. The fact is that he's been markedly better this season, but that's not saying much when you consider how shite he was last season and most of the season before. I actually don't think he's looked that great for United this year (I haven't watched England's games, but from what I've heard Maguire has also looked good, so there's that...) We will probably resign him but I think it'll be a massive mistake to give him a new bumper salary.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Fingers crossed, eh?

Criticism at the time was justified. He is turning it around. We'll see what level he is at in 2 years time, since he'll be at the club still probably.
A lot of the criticism for his sustained poor performances was certainly warranted. Not the personal abuse some posters love to throw at him though- some struggle to recognise or accept the boundary there.

Judas

Open to offers
I agree as he was awful for a good period of time. The hate and what seemed often like people wanting him fail and be shit, either due to their dislike of him or because they wanted to be proven right due to posts made on the internet were absolutely appalling.

maverickjesus

All this hand wringing is so pointless. We all know he's gonna get a bumper new contract and be here for 10 more years.
He'll be on 400k a week, strolling around the pitch and blowing simple buildup play with his terrible touch, and everyone will be fuming again. It's written in the stars.

Mr PG

He's never gotten proper coaching before in his life...until now. ETH is coaching him and not hesitant to drop him if he underperforms. Unlike previous managers whose only tactic was to coddle thereby turning Marcus into a diva who just strolled around the pitch, never even attempted headers and rarely passed the ball. Some of these kids come from broken homes and need a strict environment to thrive.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Giving player undeserved high wages is usually edging them to not bother improving. It happens in any work in life, and it happens with many players at United.

If we do extend his contract, hopefully we learn something from before.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's never gotten proper coaching before in his life...until now. ETH is coaching him and not hesitant to drop him if he underperforms. Unlike previous managers whose only tactic was to coddle thereby turning Marcus into a diva who just strolled around the pitch, never even attempted headers and rarely passed the ball. Some of these kids come from broken homes and need a strict environment to thrive.
That's BS. He was coached at United since he's 7 y.o.

Fully Fledged

They'd already downed tools before Rangnick. We did better under him that we did under Ole last season. Quite a few players actually improved once he came in. Certainly not all, but some did.
You realise that Rashford had an operation over the summer and didn't start back until November after Rangnick had already joined?

Status
Not open for further replies.