Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

humdinger

So we can’t sign new players without a permanent manager in place but we can extend contracts? Sounds about right.

DevTheRed

Quite surprised by the poll result.. if we did sell him what fee would people be happy with?

There’s certainly still a player there and being only 24 there’s still plenty of time before he peaks.

Hughes35

He's an incredibly marketable player and he is still at an age where another club would likely pay big money for his "Talent" even though in reality we all know he's not top class.

If we can get good money, move him on.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Quite surprised by the poll result.. if we did sell him what fee would people be happy with?

There’s certainly still a player there and being only 24 there’s still plenty of time before he peaks.
I'd accept nothing less than 70 million at a push i'd take a number closer to 60 but that's pushing it. It should be noted though if his current trajectory holds that asking price will only decrease with time.

MiracleInMadrid

Given we get a good price for him, I'd move him on.
The same goes for Shaw.

We can't keep giving underperforming players more and more money while showing signs of developing or being instrumental for our team.
I know that someone like Rashford has the potential to be one of the best english players of his generation, but right now Elanga is far more valuable to us on the field. Which should be what matters. There will always be other players coming through or brought in.

If we extend their contracts, we will indirectly force the next manager to give them a big role in the team.

We are at a crossroad. It's time to focus on the football side of things, and not be scared to sell any member of the squad.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He's an incredibly marketable player and he is still at an age where another club would likely pay big money for his "Talent" even though in reality we all know he's not top class.

If we can get good money, move him on.
I have my doubts if he's an incredibly marketable player outside of United. He is for us because he's "one of our own" but if he goes to Newcastle for example in what way would he be marketable? I don't think feeding kids or writing children's books would sell his shirt to fanatical Geordies. To be marketable he would have to go to a (potentially) big club with a global fan base. How many of those do you think would sign him?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I still think there is a player there. He seems very low on confidence now though.

Hughes35

I have my doubts if he's an incredibly marketable player outside of United. He is for us because he's "one of our own" but if he goes to Newcastle for example in what way would he be marketable? I don't think feeding kids or writing children's books would sell his shirt to fanatical Geordies. To be marketable he would have to go to a (potentially) big club with a global fan base. How many of those do you think would sign him?
English, Feeding the kids, good looking, all over social media, a main player on the likes of Fifa etc. He would be very very marketable for somebody like Newcastle IMO. They'd 100% have him on all their posters and stuff.

Zlatattack

Trigger his extension and give him till next summer to prove he deserves a new contract. If in Summer 2023 we think he's not worthy, sell.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We don't even need to renew it right now, there's an option for a further year right?
Well, if we do that then he will only have one year left then he has power to dictate or even refuse to sign a new deal and leaving for free like Lingard. Either sell now when there is value or give him new contract. Unless if we are okay with player dictates this again.

RedDevil@84

Well, if we do that then he will only have one year left then he has power to dictate or even refuse to sign a new deal and leaving for free like Lingard. Either sell now when there is value or give him new contract. Unless if we are okay with player dictates this again.
Lingard is a 75k-80k pw player. Rashford is a 200k player pw.
Rashford will struggle to find anyone who would pay him better money.

Quagmire Maguire

Trigger his extension and give him till next summer to prove he deserves a new contract. If in Summer 2023 we think he's not worthy, sell.
Problem with this he will be on even more obscene wages and even harder to move on. There is a reason we can never get rid of our deadwood and renewing and rewarding under performing players with huge wages is a massive part of that.

RedDevil@84

Problem with this he will be on even more obscene wages and even harder to move on. There is a reason we can never get rid of our deadwood and renewing and rewarding under performing players with huge wages is a massive part of that.
No. Triggering extension does not increase wages.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Stupid poll as there is no need to do either

He will be a United player next season

Jezpeza

For me, the bigger question is - if we sign a player who plays to the ability of peak rashford - lets not forget he was worlds most mvp on transfermarkt not that long ago and how good he is on top form. This isnt FIFA football, every effort needs to be made to get him back on track. We have so many things to sort in this team without needing to shell out £80m on a winger

Hammondo

For me, the bigger question is - if we sign a player who plays to the ability of peak rashford - lets not forget he was worlds most mvp on transfermarkt not that long ago and how good he is on top form. This isnt FIFA football, every effort needs to be made to get him back on track. We have so many things to sort in this team without needing to shell out £80m on a winger
Transfermarkt is a joke, no actual value to any of it.

Rashfords peak wasn't that great. You gotta weigh up the risk reward.

Jezpeza

Transfermarkt is a joke, no actual value to any of it.

Rashfords peak wasn't that great. You gotta weigh up the risk reward.
you need an £80m winger to replace him. Thats the bottom line. Better to get him back on form. His peak was 20-30 goal contributions. Thats very good

Wheato

He's so off the boil at the moment, that we won't get much for him to be honest. It's probably more worthwhile to build him back up, fix the problem and get him playing again. He is only 24 and not even reached his peak yet. Although, it is so rare to see a good player just fall apart before reaching his prime and we may never see him reach his potential. I suppose it is up to him if he wants to be a footballer again. You don't often see a players who were better at 18/20 than they are at 24. He just needs to find that hunger and ambition he had before. I believe that this is a mental issue, more than anything else.

Hammondo

you need an £80m winger to replace him. Thats the bottom line. Better to get him back on form. His peak was 20-30 goal contributions. Thats very good
You really don't need a £80m player to replace him. City and Liverpool have bought many wide players better for a lot less. At the moment we could promote a youth player to do better.

Denis79

So what are the rules now with Brexit? How many players in the squad have to be british or trained within the UK?

Jezpeza

You really don't need a £80m player to replace him. City and Liverpool have bought many wide players better for a lot less. At the moment we could promote a youth player to do better.
so as it stands, come july when our loans come in:

sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford
Martial

shoretire
Elanga
Pellistri

You are saying you would want to weaken that set of options and gamble on a cheap wing option to step it up?

Irwin99

Stupid poll as there is no need to do either

He will be a United player next season
He will because we won't have a single striker on the books at this rate what with who's leaving :lol: He'll get his chance under the next manager. Value might plummet further though.

I like Rashford but he's another player that I'm just tired of the media circus around surrounding them. Just getting fed up of hearing about him which is why if I wouldn't be too bothered if he left. Hopefully he turns it around though.

MUFC OK

Hard to continue to back him when these stories are coming out on a daily basis whilst he’s playing so poorly. I wouldn’t sell him but he’s not up for the fight and a new manager can’t change that he will eventually have to go.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If we want top dollar (if that's possible at the moment) selling this season is probably the optimal pay. The vast majority want shot of him, almost 6:1.
Yes I noticed and it's a shame so many are ready to dump a homegrown hero after an injury hit period of poor form

Regardless of this poll, he'll be here next season

Lost bear

Sell him to Newcastle with Shaw, Martial and Maguire
Personally I find it hard to believe that the club is even considering a new contract. Time for United to abandon its absurd sentimentality. Let him go.

It’s not a ‘poor form’ issue but one of attitude: Rashford doesn’t even try, doesn’t concentrate on playing himself back into form by concentrating on the basics, etc. He reeks of disinterest. We should return that, I’m afraid.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yes I noticed and it's a shame so many are ready to dump a homegrown hero after an injury hit period of poor form

Of what on-field heroics do you speak?

Hammondo

so as it stands, come july when our loans come in:

sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford
Martial

shoretire
Elanga
Pellistri

You are saying you would want to weaken that set of options and gamble on a cheap wing option to step it up?
I am saying freeing up the wages could mean we can buy more than we can with him.

Jezpeza

I am saying freeing up the wages could mean we can buy more than we can with him.
we pay him a reported 10.4 million. Its peanuts really when you are talking about turning that into other wages and transfer fees.

Plus whoever comes in isnt going to play for free. And if he goes we have to replace his position as well because we will be short. Its not like if we sold Phil Jones and Tuanzabe because we are stocked at CB anyway so there are funds to reinvest in other areas whilst retaining squad depth.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Most likely, yes. Fans opinion don't really matter much to how the Club run.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't want him gone because I want to give him a chance under a proper manager -

But since we bought Sancho his positioning is much less available and in jeopardy; so I don't really think it's impossible that he leaves us I the future either.

LoneStar

Is his contract up the end of next season or the one after that? If its the latter, we should just hold off for the season, and see if he improves next season before deciding.

Marwood

He was primarily a winger as a youth player? He is right footed-why has he not put any work into learning how to cross? Even limited players like Gary Neville and Lee Sharp worked hard in training and learned how to put a cross in. Yes I know he scores goals, but why does he look so lost on the right-wing when he is right footed?

And tracking back?
Lee Sharp was always a lovely crosser of a ball.

Rashford's quicker and more professional than Sharp was but as a footballer, Sharp was not limited. More ability than Marcus.

Status
Not open for further replies.