g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Rasmus Hojlund image 11

Rasmus Hojlund Denmark flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It must be very difficult for the young man to come into a side that is not playing at all well. And one which does not create chances.
I do believe that given time and more opportunities he will be fine.

The Original

Højlund has already been clocked at 35.45 km/h in PL in which he has played less than 800 minutes. You shouldn't really take this "top speed" literally. Dominic Solanke has been clocked at 36.10, but we all know he isn't as quick as Mbappé. Acceleration is very important as well.

Osimhen is dispossessed almost equally as much as Højlund. And just to add to what Højlund does better - statistically - progressive passing, shot-creating actions, take-ons, progressive carries, progressive passes received (hold-up), carries into penalty area, passing distance, passes per 90, pass completion, etc. Osimhen really isn't better when it comes to ball retention, carrying or dribbling.
Even in the areas he's better than Osimhen at, Hojlund is still not great compared to other strikers. But more importantly, for the way United play it really isn't an argument of Hojlund vs Osimhen, it's whether we should have even been looking at this profile of striker in the first place. Kolo Muani always made more sense for the way Rashford and Antony play. He's pretty much a functional Martial and would have made our wingers better while contributing reasonably well himself just like Firminho used to do for liverpool.

zaafi

Even in the areas he's better than Osimhen at, Hojlund is still not great compared to other strikers. But more importantly, for the way United play it really isn't an argument of Hojlund vs Osimhen, it's whether we should have even been looking at this profile of striker in the first place. Kolo Muani always made more sense for the way Rashford and Antony play. He's pretty much a functional Martial and would have made our wingers better while contributing reasonably well himself just like Firminho used to do for liverpool.
Absolutely agree. Would be much more fluid, as it's clear having a striker as a focal point is pointless with the current squad and their ways of playing.

Lyng

I thought that was the instance being talked about. If not, my bad. Which instance were you talking about?
The one against Bayern. Højlund is in line with the defenders. He even does the move like Coman and gets free, but he never gets a pass from Dalot. Instead, the latter just runs straight forward straight into a clean tackle.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
That pass wasn’t on, you guys need to move on. There’s literally a defender on the 6yard line with clear view of the ball as well as Hojlund and ready to intercept the pass.
Kane’s pass yesterday was behind the defenders where Coman had made the run. Hojlund is in front of the defender. And with a defender on the 6 yard line already there’s probably too little space between defender and keeper for him to receive the ball if Dalot puts it across. Nor is Hojlund getting there in time, unless he can run faster than the ball.
If Dalot had cut back it would have been two on one and a tap in for Rasmus. The first time pass wasn’t really on though.

lex talionis

It must be very difficult for the young man to come into a side that is not playing at all well. And one which does not create chances.
Agreed, but I'm starting to worry that Rasmus will only be fine and never come near to the level we had hoped. ETH did him dirty by bringing him to a dysfunctional club and expecting him to lead the line and bang even just a measly PL 10 goals this season and we're at a point now where his game is visibly regressing from what were actually pretty impressive performances in his first 4 or 5 games.

Early days, but I hope we haven't wrecked Rasmus while he's still in diapers.

Wing Attack Plan R

I feel there should be a player cheat sheet that is pinned to the top of any discussion thread. There is some ret-conning here that Højlund was going to come in and be the second coming of Cantona, when in reality nearly everyone said he's a prospect, one for the future, and that we need an experienced striker to shoulder the burden for him in order for him to develop. There are a lot of straw man arguments here too with people saying "see? he's not a world class striker like 30 year old Harry Kane!" when no one -- no one -- was expecting anything of the sort, and practically everyone said it was going to be a fecking disaster if we relied on a 20 year-old to lead our attack.

The Original

Stop taking nonsens. Rasmus is almost 2km/h faster.
I shared stats that conclusively show that Osimhen has reach much higher top speeds.

Now if you're going to butt in obnoxiously just to accuse people of talking nonsense then show the stats that prove its nonsense.

Lyng

The Original

Do you really not understand that this is campaign-specific data that shows each player's top speed attained in this season's Champions League (a grand total of 4 games for Osimhen) alone and not their top speed in their career? Is that really your understanding of what we're talking about when we discuss which player is the faster runner?

Lyng

Do you really not understand that this is campaign-specific data that shows each player's top speed attained in this season's Champions League (a grand total of 4 games for Osimhen) alone and not their top speed in their career? Is that really your understanding of what we're talking about when we discuss which player is the faster runner?
You only took serie A.

The Original

You only took serie A.
That's irrelevant because unlike you, what I shared wasn't an average. It was a single moment top speed. Osimhen has run a 36.6 km/h time. Do you understand you can't undo that by sharing stats from some other time when he ran slower? You've gone forum shopping and picked a figure that is thoroughly meaningless, first because he has already well-surpassed it, and secondly because it is an average that tells us nothing about the actual top speeds reached in that period.

Lyng

That's irrelevant because unlike you, what I shared wasn't an average. It was a single moment top speed. Osimhen has run a 36.6 km/h time. Do you understand you can't undo that by sharing stats from some other time when he ran slower? You've gone forum shopping and picked a figure that is thoroughly meaningless, first because he has already well-surpassed it, and secondly because it is an average that tells us nothing about the actual top speeds reached in that period.
A single moment doesn't point as clear a picture of a players overall speed as average top speed. If you can't understand that then there is no reason to argue.

Apokalips

The team has big big deficiencies.

It does, but some responsibility for chance creation also falls on the forward himself. The best cost a lot of money for a reason and it's not because they tap in chances that are laid on for them by others.

Looking at that graph Martial, who plays in the same team, has received more passes in roughly half the minutes (448 vs 795) that Rasmus has so that shows that some of this is due to Rasmus himself. I, and many others, said in pre-season that it would not be fair to make him our number 1 striker as he has not proven anything and is not a wonderkid like Mbappe or Haaland. Expecting a kid who had scored 20 career goals before joining to fire us anywhere was foolish.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
It does, but some responsibility for chance creation also falls on the forward himself. The best cost a lot of money for a reason and it's not because they tap in chances that are laid on for them by others.

Looking at that graph Martial, who plays in the same team, has received more passes in roughly half the minutes (448 vs 795) that Rasmus has so that shows that some of this is due to Rasmus himself. I, and many others, said in pre-season that it would not be fair to make him our number 1 striker as he has not proven anything and is not a wonderkid like Mbappe or Haaland. Expecting a kid who had scored 20 career goals before joining to fire us anywhere was foolish.
About Martial, probably is because Martial knows how we play, how others move, pass etc.

Its not a coincidence even last season WITHOUT Hojlund we scored 58 league goals. It's not a martial or Hojlund issue but a systematic deficiency in the team attacking wise.

The Original

About Martial, probably is because Martial knows how we play, how others move, pass etc.

Its not a coincidence even last season WITHOUT Hojlund we scored 58 league goals. It's not a martial or Hojlund issue but a systematic deficiency in the team attacking wise.
There are clear deficiencies, but clearly too there are instances of the team playing around Hojlund. It seems to me there might be a trust issue there.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Shaw's shot against Bayern is an example why i question Hojlund's movement. True poacher will go to the right and wait for gk's deflection while opening to Shaw clear shot. Hojlund runs away from the goal and even in some way blocks Shaw's options for shot because he pulls one more defender with him. Yes, i understand that he wanted to offer himself as a pass option but it is wrong movement in penalty box.

Basso

Even Kane would struggle with this setup. Some of the most selfish wingers in PL are at Man Utd.

SAF is the GOAT

Baldy really needs to start speaking up to these players because the kid is starving for some service

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The goals he scored in the CL is abundant proof of his quality. Even in our bad performances under Ole, Bruno would create chances for the forwards, if only to watch them fluff their lines. This is the first manager who's even managed to make Bruno's creativity falter.

united for life

it’s been proven at this club that time will only make it worse… i agree with you though, it is very difficult for this young man to come to this circus and perform. He has shown potential, the way he drops back, his physical ability, his speed. He really seems like a decent material to work with, but he needs service around him. I read somewhere yesterday that he is the striker with the least opportunities created for him…

whatever he is doing, i hope he is not learning from the more senior strikers at the club during training sessions. Don’t look at them, act like they dont exist

zaafi

Not a good game, but not much he can work with. He had one chance, the best keeper in the world saved it, and somehow he's not "it". He is 20. Give him time.

This is the worst attacking United team in way too long, so that definitely does not help him.

PoTMS

Might be better in the future but needs a year in the Championship. He's not good enough for us at the moment.

Betson

Very poor today , did not hold up the ball at all and missed two good chances to win it on the break , we still lack that top class striker. He is not ready to lead the line in the premier league.

RuudtheRed

I wouldn't be so harsh on him, he held the ball up well when he got it today (which was about 5 times). Should have done better with the one chance he got, but it was on his weaker foot against the best goalkeeper in the world probably.