g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Rasmus Hojlund image 11

Rasmus Hojlund Denmark flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

L1nk

I found Hojlund a bit sluggish yesterday and he doesn't look that fast to me. It was a hard game for him, we sat back deep and he was all alone upfront feeding on scraps and challenging for high balls.

But he's getting in positions in the opponents' box when we do go forward, that's a real plus
In his first game he’s already registered a speed as one of the fastest in the league. He clearly isn’t totally match fit yet.

L1nk

10-15 mil on Bayern's offer and Levy wouldn't say no.
How can you not get it through your head had we even possibly signed Kane, at over 120+ mill say if we could convince Levi to sell, on top of his astronomical wages that over the course of his contract it would have been completely financially stupid to spend on a 30 year old that would have limited spending elsewhere by a large amount. Not only that but what would Kane be doing differently currently other than some wayward passes and a better first touch, he’d be feeding on scraps the same as Rasmus is.

Not sure why you continue to cry about Kane, the ship has sailed

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
How can you not get it through your head had we even possibly signed Kane, at over 120+ mill say if we could convince Levi to sell, on top of his astronomical wages that over the course of his contract it would have been completely financially stupid to spend on a 30 year old that would have limited spending elsewhere by a large amount. Not only that but what would Kane be doing differently currently other than some wayward passes and a better first touch, he’d be feeding on scraps the same as Rasmus is.

He wanted to come mate. It was in the media yaknow!

jesperjaap

Amazes me all criticism now of signing a 30year old Casemeiro with the fears he has dropped significantly....yet still loads of people banging on what an error it was to not spend £100m and probably another £50m in wages over a contract to sign a 30year old Kane.

It was for me an error not signing 2strikers this summer, but people were very unrealistic in talking of a young/old signing like Kane/Hoijlund with the costs involved.

Dont think it was a great game for Hoijlnd yesterday, but he makes the right movements. Still cant see any understanding with team mates aroudn him yet, which shold improve

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Kane wouldn't get any goalscoring chances in this side either.

(Ignoring that wasting our whole transfer budget on another 30 year old fee and wages wouldn't have been the smartest idea)

JediSith

We’re not playing to his strengths. Has he received any balls that allow him to run on the ball from a position where he can beat defenders with his pace and then be in on goal? Not once. So far his only chances have come from crosses, and 1 goal, 1 disallowed goal, and the shot just over the bar. So he’s actually doing well.

Look at his Atalanta snippets. His not received any of the passes or been in the positions that made up 90% of his highlight reel for Atalanta

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Aye, that poster has mentioned that Kane thing to death now.

Irwin99

Very very early days but the positives so far for me are:
  • Workrate/pressing/energy
  • Has made a few darts into the six yard box where he was unlucky not to score. looks like he could get a lot of those sort of goals in the future
  • Can hold the ball up and bring others into play (although very raw at this)
Will require a lot of patience though and I just don't have much optimism that we have solved our goal scoring problem of the past two seasons. For all the complaints about Rashford and Bruno not getting subbed there's a reason for that- they're the only two players we have that can get near 15-20 goals for a season and I'm not really sure what goal output to expect from Hojlund in his first season without being too unfair

Wing Attack Plan R

I found Hojlund a bit sluggish yesterday and he doesn't look that fast to me. It was a hard game for him, we sat back deep and he was all alone upfront feeding on scraps and challenging for high balls.

But he's getting in positions in the opponents' box when we do go forward, that's a real plus
There was a moment in the second half when a ball was played out to the left, their right back had a yard head start on Højlund, but Højlund got to the ball a yard ahead of him, meaning he blazed last him in a foot race. Højlund is fast.

My worry is that he’s not got enough finesse to really terrify defenders in the box. He doesn’t seem to have a great deal of control, which means he isn’t creating good shooting chances when he gets the ball (unlike someone like Berbatov, for instance).

He can certainly work on his first touch to improve it, but I’m not sure how much improvement he can make. He can work on making better runs, linking play, dragging defenders around - all that is easily coachable. What we need him to do is relearn how a football moves, to develop a different intuitive approach to how much pace and power and so on he uses.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I personally have been really impressed by Hojlund so far. I was really scared he would come in and look totally out of his depth and be off the pace. His movement has been great, his positioning has been good, he's dealt with the physicality pretty well, looked a bit gassed towards the end of all the games, and could do with better service but over all considering the lack of a striking options on the market so far very happy.

Conor

He doesn't look fast because he's huge, he's rapid.

SuperiorXI

He is going to be good for us. Built like an Ox, extremely fast and very good at leading the press. He has also shown ability to hold the ball up and start attacks. Not worried about him at all.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Great that he got to complete a 90 minutes for us (even if he did look absolutely shattered after about 70mins).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
His arial ability is so bad for someone of his height.

zaafi

Biggest reason the comparison with Cavani doesn't work as he was always great with his head.
I don't think a player needs to have all of the same characteristics and abilities to be compared to another player. Their movement, shooting and instincts are very similar, and aerial ability can also easily be improved.

Glorio

Getting into good positions all the time. Said before and I'll say it again, he'll score a few. I feel he could reach double figures in the PL alone

lex talionis

A beast lives within his human body. If we can somehow sort our problems at LW and RW we’ll see Rasmus start torching defenders.

Idxomer

I don't think a player needs to have all of the same characteristics and abilities to be compared to another player. Their movement, shooting and instincts are very similar, and aerial ability can also easily be improved.
I don't think Hojlund's shooting is on par with Cavani's either. He was also a very energetic player in a way I haven't seen from Hojlund so far.

Drizzle

His biggest problem is that he's stuck with Rashford.
You mean the Rashford that has provided 3 or 4 good chances for him already, plus an assist for his only goal and another assist for the disallowed goal?

Got it.

hobbers

You mean the Rashford that has provided 3 or 4 good chances for him already, plus an assist for his only goal and another assist for the disallowed goal?

Got it.
Yeah because if we had a good left winger he'd get more chances.

tomaldinho1

I don’t really get why there’s criticism, he’s coming back from injury and has generally looked promising.

Let him develop a bit of an understanding with our wide players and full backs, he’s getting chances and working hard. I think a few of us were saying we’d be ecstatic if he can get close to 15 goals as a first season and I reckon he will if he stays fit.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
They will build an understanding, it takes time. Rashford and Martial built a good synergy over time until the latter become injury prone and lost a yard.

With training, experience they'll figure out how to get the best out of each other.

Maureen-yo

Never mind the lack of service from central players in midfield or the lack of service from the right wing, let’s blame the only player that’s assisted him this season.

Drizzle

You said Rashford was his biggest problem. But Rashford has provided several big opportunities (and assists) in 2 games. Doesn't sound like that big a problem does it?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No he wouldn't. Currently all the chances hes had have come from Rashford. The rest of the team needs to create for him too

NLunited

Very happy so far with Højlund.

Last season I‘d see someone like Jesus fighting and holding up the ball up front and think to myself: that‘s what we need.

Højlund is much better than Jesus. Besides holding the ball up well, he is more physical, faster and has great movement.

He gets to the ball faster than almost all defenders, so I expect goals from him this season.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Still very raw, but it is refreshing to have a proper physical presence up top with lots of pace. It's what we needed for a long time and he's a great age as well.

lex talionis

I like what I've seen so far from him. A shame his RW and LW teammates have their own issues at the moment while he opens his nostrils in his hunt for goals but hopefully that gets sorted out soon.

Litch

More than happy with him but feeding off scraps at moment. Create chances and this lad will score....

Em765

He played 3 full games, Brighton, Munich and Burnley, he scored twice (although the Brighton goal didnt count)

For a 20 year old that just got to the new team, new league and all that is pretty brilliant.
He will come good. Very good.

Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace

Devil81

Got a really bad feeling, little slip ball from Gore tonight and he's not sniffing it out.

He's not sharp, hopefully it's fitness but top strikers is all over that kind of slip ball.