2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

ti vu

Wonder how many shots he's actually had on goal since joining us? Notice lots of people are saying we failed to pick him out when he came on again.

Obviously Wout was a terrible striker for us but it always seemed he barely had a shot on goal either. It's kind of important if you're going to score goals for teammates to find your striker.
Weghorst problem is very different. He was not fast enough to get going to receive pass when we were creating chances. He didn't know what area our players would put the ball in. His shooting technique is terrible. He missed a few clear unmarked 1 vs 1 chances.

Our issue right now is creating chance for our forward. Our midfield is particular worse. Can't cintrol game. No penetration, yet easy to be overrun. Ironically, Mount seemed to get to the end of some good ball, and he fluffed all his chances whereas our CF barely got any service.

Son

We really shouldn’t have a striker learning his trade leading the line for us. His ability to take a chance at times is very lacking.

I like other parts of his game like pressing but anything on the ball like linking with others I haven’t seen a whole lot to suggest he’s the next big thing.

Doku for City is a year older but looks a far better prospect from what I can tell for example.

Dragam

We really shouldn’t have a striker learning his trade leading the line for us. His ability to take a chance at times is very lacking.

I like other parts of his game like pressing but anything on the ball like linking with others I haven’t seen a whole lot to suggest he’s the next big thing.

Doku for City is a year older but looks a far better prospect from what I can tell for example.
When exactly has his ability to take a chance been lacking ? In what games at what times ? Or are you just pulling this crap out of your arse (spoiler alert : you are)

And major /facepalm at you comparing a 9 to a winger...

Erics_Collar

Can just see the likes of Inter or Sevilla snapping him up in 2 to 3 years for a song, and he'll go on to great things.

Irwin99

Weghorst problem is very different. He was not fast enough to get going to receive pass when we were creating chances. He didn't know what area our players would put the ball in. His shooting technique is terrible. He missed a few clear unmarked 1 vs 1 chances.

Our issue right now is creating chance for our forward. Our midfield is particular worse. Can't cintrol game. No penetration, yet easy to be overrun. Ironically, Mount seemed to get to the end of some good ball, and he fluffed all his chances whereas our CF barely got any service.
I acknowledge he was bad but there were in fact some occasions where the forwards could have played him in and didn't (perhaps for good reason in his case). They're completely different players but i have noticed a similar pattern with Hojlund because we have a striker that feels like he barely has any shots on goal because our wingers either mess up the pass or shoot on sight.

I can't help but think that this team would make even prime RvN a 1 goal in 6 games striker.

FerociousCorgis

i mean what for the season overall he has 2 more goals than rashford so far in all our comps right? Wouldve sounded so good had someone said that before the season started haha. Except it means rashfords one league goal vs hojlunds 3 UCL goals.

Son

When exactly has his ability to take a chance been lacking ? In what games at what times ? Or are you just pulling this crap out of your arse (spoiler alert : you are)

And major /facepalm at you comparing a 9 to a winger...
He’s a striker who’s scored 0 goals in the league… He’s done well in Europe but all our fears have came to fruition. We are now almost at Christmas.

He’s not ready in the league and we don’t score any goals. His finishing is not near the level yet despite getting in some decent chances.

I know you don’t like to hear it but facts are he has 0 goals in 7 matches playing main striker for Manchester United in the league. Our bread and butter btw and he’s underperforming his xG.

I’m just saying when Doku plays the guy is absolutely electric at creating chances. He’s a brilliant footballer / similar age and was got with less fanfare.

Last edited:

Dragam

He’s a striker who’s scored 0 goals in the league… He’s done well in Europe but all our fears have came to fruition. We are now almost at Christmas.

He’s not ready in the league and we don’t score any goals. His finishing is not near the level yet despite getting in some decent chances.

I know you don’t like to hear it but facts are he has 0 goals in 7 matches playing main striker for Manchester United in the league. Our bread and butter btw and he’s underperforming his xG.

I’m just saying when Doku plays the guy is absolutely electric at creating chances. He’s a brilliant footballer / similar age and was got with less fanfare.
This post is so increadibly stupid - either you are trolling, or you don't watch the games...

Getting decent chances in the league? Show me clips and / or timestamps of those decent chances where he missed...

Again with that doku comparison... dude, you're beyond daft.

zaafi

Why are you comparing Doku with Højlund?

KD6-3.7

He probably has made the worst decision of his career coming here.

Even if we were a properly run club I still don’t think he will be world class, more on the level of say Mandzukic which is still pretty good but I don’t see how he will progress with a club that is an utter mess, he’s still to raw and shouldn’t have the pressure of being our starting striker we need to bring in someone better and keep Højlund as a backup.

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
Big fan, just hoping he can get his first league goal for us soon so it doesn’t become a burden he’s trying to get rid of, hard for him with 2 wingers who cut inside and shoot every chance they get, have high hopes for him once we set up to get the best out of him, reckon he’ll be a rare successful transfer for us

Sylar

I reckon if things keep going like this, we are going to iron out his best aspects, and he will probably get into bad habits like stop making runs in the box (because hes not being found), stop pressing (especially if hes the only one doing it and others behind him arent).

lex talionis

This should have been Hojlund's apprenticeship season with United, not his Messiah season. Going off recollection only,. our front line players have scored 1 goal in 10 EPL games this season.

I just took a look at the table to confirm that we've played 10 EPL games to date, and remarkably have scored only 11 goals. But what's even more remarkable than our woefulness is that we're actually not that far off from the top 4. Yes we're already 8 points behind the fourth place club but we've got a long runway to climb back into the top four club. There's no reason to believe that we're going to sort our shit out any time soon, but if we did and if Hojlund can accelerate his apprenticeship we just might get back into the top four conversation.

But I worry that we're asking too much of Hojlund and that we could really fukk him up.

Son

Why are you comparing Doku with Højlund?
They are similar age both came in at the same time. Ours had all the fanfare Doku none let’s be honest.

City are doing City things. Very impressed with their recruitment yet again. He has time to breathe and intergrate although he did so immediately anyways.

i would argue he’s had games when he’s created as many chances as all our attackers have all season for far less money than Antony, Hojlund and Sancho.

They embarrass us again and again with recruitment. Alvares another example. Ridiculously talented player who scores goals and got for such a low fee.

That's how you buy young. Spending all your budget on a 20 years old not named Wayne Rooney is nuts.

Last edited:

zaafi

They are similar age both came in at the same time. Ours had all the fanfare Doku none let’s be honest.

City are doing City things. Very impressed with their recruitment yet again. He has time to breathe and intergrate although he did so immediately anyways.

i would argue he’s had games when he’s created as many chances as all our attackers have all season for far less money than Antony, Hojlund and Sancho.

They embarrass us again and again with recruitment. Alvares another example. Ridiculously talented player who scores goals and got for such a low fee.

That's how you buy young. Spending all your budget on a 20 years old not named Wayne Rooney is nuts.
I don't disagree that they're insanely good with recruiting, and you'll find posts of me saying we should go for Doku before he signed for City, but he is a winger and Højlund is a striker, so that's why I didn't understand the comparison. It is his job to create chances, and he will quite easily do so because City as a team dominate oppositions, and he has crazy speed which means he will be in a lot of positions to create chances.

By the way, Doku has created 10 chances in 405 minutes and Antony has created 8 chances in 404 minutes. The difference isn't really that big, but of course, I'd much rather have Doku than Antony.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Feel sorry for this guy. He’s been brought in with no plan. He’s playing with 2 inverted wingers who like to cut in and shoot so he isn’t getting the service he needs.

chris123

Clearly not ready to lead the line, but we have no one else. I do feel for him
Yep. His hold-up play is good, but he's nowhere near ready. Decision making is a major major question mark. He's so fecking talented but he's just too raw to be in this position at the moment.

Lyng

Bruno actively avoiding him for several great runs today. Stats are there for all to see. Højlund won't work out as long as that is the case.

Rockets Redglare

Just start Martial and give him minutes off the bench. He’s not ready to lead the line and he’s being absolutely starved by dross.

Idxomer

I'm not seeing it.

Very rarely a striker could be a part of a top team with that technique.

L1nk

He's already cutting a frustrating figure - was angry at the bench when coming off, can't say that I blame him because the team is giving him nothing, just hopeful punt forwards to try and control

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ll go against the grain and say he’s clearly ready to start and isn’t the problem at all. Give him some decent service and he will score. His hold up play is brilliant.

Bobski

His hold up play is seriously erratic. Yes the midfield are not doing a good enough job at getting him the ball but he is also not providing the hold up and link play that the rest need from the striker. That is why a broken down Martial keeps getting mins.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Created zero for him again. Can't even judge his finishing at this point.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Man is starving, looked pissed coming off
Probably pissed off with himself. Several times he should have done better with his passing, his vision and even his runs (which were overall good). He's right to be pissed with the long balls always going over him. He's not been given a good chance to win headers.

Adamsk7

I think he’s great but he’s a proper striker which means he lives and dies on service. He’s not getting any, end of.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'm not seeing it.

Very rarely a striker could be a part of a top team with that technique.
He’s arguably got better technique than Haaland so that’s nonsense. You’re doing the usual and being reactionary based on a lack of goals.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Looked like Bambi on ice today. But when the alternative is mannequin Martial, I guess we have to keep starting him.

Once it was decided that Greenwood would leave, we really should've got a backup striker in, even if it was another Ighalo.

Hester_manc

7 matches
0 goals
0 assists.

I have watched him, since he played his first game for Copenhagen, and I find it hard to understand that he is so poor for us, when he played good for Atalanta and for Denmark.

mavradal

Honestly can't see anything he's really good at while also being really clumsy and seem to lose his balance way too easily.

Idxomer

He’s arguably got better technique than Haaland so that’s nonsense. You’re doing the usual and being reactionary based on a lack of goals.
Nope, his lack of technique was apparent at Atalanta and was commented on before his move.

It is clearly not better than Haaland's who's very efficient with his use of the ball.