g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Rasmus Hojlund image 11

Rasmus Hojlund Denmark flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Yes, and we did not need to buy Hojlund, Onana and Mount. None of them are of the required quality. None of them improved us. The 100 million to buy a world-class striker was actually there, ETH spent more than that on average players.

And if we couldn't get any world class player, we could get a reasonably established striker. ETH spent world-class fees on a gamble.
We didn't spend a world class fee on Højlund, nor did we have the luxury to spend a 100 mill on one player

Woziak

He won’t be starting for United next season , he’ll be warning the bench learning to be a much better player. He needs to watch a top number 9 from the bench.

El Jefe

I think he’s terribly out of place starting for us. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad player but as we all guessed this was a signing made at least two years early.

His first month here and his purple patch in the middle shows there is potential there but that only accounts for 25-30% of the season. I can honestly say he’s been dreadful for the rest of it.

The problem we have is he’s so far off being ready that we absolutely can’t go into next season with him as our starter despite paying a kings ransom for him.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Awful yet again.

Yet you still have idiots on here defending him.

Malone_Post

Awful yet again.

It’s new signing armour. Most players get it on here when they’re first signed. Usually lasts about a season before people start admitting their doubts. Same happened with Antony last season.

He's strongly in the running for being literally the second worst starting number 9 in the league.

He's 6ft3 yet winning 27% of his aerial duels - a lower percentage than multiple 5'7 forwards. His touch is routinely awful, his movement is too, he can't create his own chances, has no creativity or invention in his passing, regularly bodied by every centre back he faces and to top it off he's completely gassed by the hour mark of every game.

For me he wouldn't be a regular starter for 19 teams in this league, yet he's an every week fixture for us.

Arsenal - Havertz, City - Haaland, Liverpool - Nunez, Villa - Watkins, Spurs - Richarlison, Newcastle - Isak, Chelsea - Jackson, West Ham - Antonio, Wolves - Cunha, Brighton - Joao Pedro, Fulham - Muniz, Bournemouth - Solanke, Palace - Mateta, Everton - Calvert-Lewin, Brentford - Toney, Forest - Wood, Luton - Adebayo, Sheffield Utd - Brereton Diaz.

The ones in bold I feel are no brainers. Some teams obviously have multiple 9's who'd start ahead of him, I just went with the one most similar stylistically.

He absolutely can't be counted on as a starter next season. We need to sign a starting number 9 (my choice, given our budget and the age profile we should be targeting, would be Joao Pedro).

Keep Hojlund in a backup role and hope he has a massive off-season improvement...and it is purely hope at this point because none of his underlying stats suggest it's coming.

Last edited:

united for life

He won’t be starting for United next season , he’ll be warning the bench learning to be a much better player. He needs to watch a top number 9 from the bench.
i can say that about everyone in this united team.

for hojlund, it was all unfair to him. We brought a kid to solve our goal scoring problems. The team is struggling, his development is struggling, his performances are poor. It’s a complete mess

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
A 20m punt bought for 75m to start for Manchester United, a team that used to have four strikers who could start for 95% of the teams in the world. Truly mind-boggling.

Lyng

Awful yet again.

Yeah I am one of those. He is a very good talent and has regressed so much in one season it's insane.
Ten Hag has managed to ruin the biggest talent we danes have had in many years.

TempusFugit

What are his instructions? What's he supposed to do? Run the channels, running in behind, wait for crosses? He is just as confused as the rest of the team, floating beside the Palace CBs with no idea how to get involved in the game. He hasn't been brilliant this season but this is young player who absolutely has the tools to make it here.

Ten Hag's system is just terrible, all the possession goes to the wingers who are horrible at link up play and only try to cut in and shoot. I don't understand why we have a striker as quick as Højlund yet make no attempt to use his speed. He's stuck trying to control long balls with 2 Palace CBs wrestling with him. He's lucky if he gets to test the opposition keeper with a shot or two in 90 minutes!! every single game. Set up for failure. Stats show that he shoots less than twice per 90, just terrible.

Mike Smalling

Remember back in the early days of this season, when he looked like a real handful for defenders? I remember him powering past Galatasaray players, and giving the Arsenal centrebacks a real challenge. He hasn't done anything like that recently, but hopefully it's still there. Maybe he's just not fully fit or he's played too much.

In general, I think that a lot of our players look worse than they really are, because of the terrible coaching and severe lack of confidence.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's strongly in the running for being literally the second worst starting number 9 in the league.

He's 6ft3 yet winning 27% of his aerial duels - a lower percentage than multiple 5'7 forwards. His touch is routinely awful, his movement is too, he can't create his own chances, has no creativity or invention in his passing, regularly bodied by every centre back he faces and to top it off he's completely gassed by the hour mark of every game.

For me he wouldn't be a regular starter for 19 teams in this league, yet he's an every week fixture for us.

Arsenal - Havertz, City - Haaland, Liverpool - Nunez, Villa - Watkins, Spurs - Richarlison, Newcastle - Isak, Chelsea - Jackson, West Ham - Antonio, Wolves - Cunha, Brighton - Joao Pedro, Fulham - Muniz, Bournemouth - Solanke, Palace - Mateta, Everton - Calvert-Lewin, Brentford - Toney, Forest - Wood, Luton - Adebayo, Sheffield Utd - Brereton Diaz.

The ones in bold I feel are no brainers. Some teams obviously have multiple 9's who'd start ahead of him, I just went with the one most similar stylistically.

He absolutely can't be counted on as a starter next season. We need to sign a starting number 9 (my choice, given our budget and the age profile we should be targeting, would be Joao Pedro).

Keep Hojlund in a backup role and hope he has a massive off-season improvement...and it is purely hope at this point because none of his underlying stats suggest it's coming.
It's not been a great first season that's for sure and the hope that ge improves massively is just that at this stage. We need a Toney type striker badly in the summer.

Lyng

Remember back in the early days of this season, when he looked like a real handful for defenders? I remember him powering past Galatasaray players, and giving the Arsenal centrebacks a real challenge. He hasn't done anything like that recently, but hopefully it's still there. Maybe he's just not fully fit or he's played too much.

In general, I think that a lot of our players look worse than they really are, because of the terrible coaching and severe lack of confidence.
It's Ten Hag and his awful chaos-ping-pong shit ball. Every player regressed under him.

Schmeichels pinky

Awful yet again.

Sums up the reactions nicely. The “idiots” here (and I would never use that word myself) are the ones blaming a youngster for not thriving in a dysfunctional team. It’s always the same with you people.

No one bar maybe Kane or other top 10 strikers would’ve been able to do much in Hojlund’s position this season. But instead of seeing the obvious potential you need to slack off Hojlund. If everything written in here was true, he has no assets at all - some even claim he slow which is just factually wrong.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Caf's faith about how every young player will "improve" always strikes me. Mainoo (or Garnacho on some level) are examples of young players where you can see talent from day one. And for those players it was obvious that they will be United first choice material.
Where is that huge potential in Hojlund? He has some potential to be good squad option but there is nothing in his game which can give hope that he will be top striker and game changer.
It is only his price because of which fans are desperate to see something which isn't there.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He doesn’t create situations, or hold the ball up. Doesn’t get himself remotely involved enough.
He isn’t involved enough in the build up. He created no situations. A striker at this level needs to do more
Watched him live today and thought he was weak and kept moving vertically up and down centrally when he was making his runs. He doesn't really get involved, he's too busy trying to be a target man. Problem is he's also not a very good one. He does basic things well enough and nothing else.

There has been very little between him and Weghorst in general play and that's damning.
These all feel very general. That's not to say he doesn't need to improve in these areas.
Watching that game last night there were probably only 1 or 2 passes into him where I thought he did poorly, the rest were just poor passes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
These all feel very general. That's not to say he doesn't need to improve in these areas.
Watching that game last night there were probably only 1 or 2 passes into him where I thought he did poorly, the rest were just poor passes.
It's not general. It's a broad skillset that he underperforms in. Also I was right by the front row on the end he fell down from a pull back being almost one on one and it was fecking weak. The defender did nothing and he was totally trying to get a cheap foul.

If you want specific things, he's not great in the air, he's not as strong as he needs to be, the ball often looks trapped under his feet when he has possession and his movement for runs in behind is far too narrow.

AndySmith1990

Personally I think he's a painfully average forward. The sort of forward you'd expect to see at a bottom half of the table team after they've taken a £20m punt.

However, he's almost certainly not going anywhere this summer, therefore I sincerely hope he's far better than this and a proper coach can get more out of him. The current manager is so unbelievably bad I'm willing to overlook most performances from players who've only been here for 1-2 seasons.

El Jefe

Has anyone else noticed that his he has the most pointless hold up play. He tries to pin defenders like most good target men do but he does absolutely nothing after that. He just holds the ball (on the rare occasion he’s able to trap it) and gets involved in a strength battle with the CB. He makes no attempt to lay the ball off, or bring others into play he just stays pinned to the CB for a few seconds until a foul is called or he loses the ball.

It’s just totally pointless and kills any potential attacks. RVN and RVP always controlled in one touch and moved the ball on to get themselves and others into better positions.

Hojlund looks like an U21 striker.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's not general. It's a broad skillset that he underperforms in. Also I was right by the front row on the end he fell down from a pull back being almost one on one and it was fecking weak. The defender did nothing and he was totally trying to get a cheap foul.

If you want specific things, he's not great in the air, he's not as strong as he needs to be, the ball often looks trapped under his feet when he has possession and his movement for runs in behind is far too narrow.
I meant general in regards to my question, which was specific to what he situations he could've done better in last night.

Might need to see a replay but it looked like the defender ran into the back of his legs when I saw it, and that is consistently given as a foul.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I meant general in regards to my question, which was specific to what he situations he could've done better in last night.

Might need to see a replay but it looked like the defender ran into the back of his legs when I saw it, and that is consistently given as a foul.
He was extremely weak, it was never enough to bring him down. We all groaned when we saw how easy it was for him to fall. Oh yeah - that's another thing. He always fecking falls over !? Why does he do that. I've noticed with him he falls loads generally speaking - is his balance bad or something?

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Has anyone else noticed that his he has the most pointless hold up play. He tries to pin defenders like most good target men do but he does absolutely nothing after that. He just holds the ball (on the rare occasion he’s able to trap it) and gets involved in a strength battle with the CB. He makes no attempt to lay the ball off, or bring others into play he just stays pinned to the CB for a few seconds until a foul is called or he loses the ball.

It’s just totally pointless and kills any potential attacks. RVN and RVP always controlled in one touch and moved the ball on to get themselves and others into better positions.

Hojlund looks like an U21 striker.
Well that comparison is a little far fetched.
First of all RVN and RVP did not play at this level at Hojlund's age and they became incredible players in their prime, after 25.
Secondly the instances you remember are in a period when we were a good-great team. Now we are terrible.
We should wait on Hojlund for 2 years at least, if the doesn't progress then it's a another big amount of money wasted.

Schmeichels pinky

Caf's faith about how every young player will "improve" always strikes me. Mainoo (or Garnacho on some level) are examples of young players where you can see talent from day one. And for those players it was obvious that they will be United first choice material.
Where is that huge potential in Hojlund? He has some potential to be good squad option but there is nothing in his game which can give hope that he will be top striker and game changer.
It is only his price because of which fans are desperate to see something which isn't there.
Interesting, I see the exact opposite: frustrated fans not seeing the very obvious potential because the price made them expect a prime Van Basten. If you want maybe you’re actually one of the few who bother) you can read everything about his potential and how he’s actually performed very well until his injury in this thread and articles (google).

The only real specific thing you mention is his heading (the ball “often looks trapped” not as strong “as needed” and runs that are “too narrow” are not really concrete, are they?). That’s coincidentally also the only correct point you’ve made.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The only real specific thing you mention is his heading (the ball “often looks trapped” not as strong “as needed” and runs that are “too narrow” are not really concrete, are they?). That’s coincidentally also the only correct point you’ve made.
How much more specific do you want? They're all concrete and correct.

The ball is often trapped under his feet.
He's often not a threat in the air.
He's balance is poor.
His runs are too narrow.

You can't get more specific a criticism than what I've given, and they're all concrete and correct.

K Stand Knut

Wow!!!

The disproportionate over-reaction strikes again.

I hope he is reading these message boards to get a feeling what the majority of our fan base is really like.

Absolutely moronic at times

gajender

What is he supposed to do? Take the ball of Onana dribble past entire opposition team and score a solo goal?
Like seriously, what is he supposed to do?
He is supposed to be finished article at 21 who shouldn't be impacted by shit show all round him , look he isn't without his faults but he has enough about him for me atleast to be confident that he could develop into a pretty good striker .

L1nk

It is like a gold fish memory syndrome by reading this thread. :houllier:
Second highest goal scorer for the season despite how terrible this team is and barely ever being in games because of the way we play and yet apparently he is the absolute worst player United have signed in over 10 years. The reactions on here are odd but not unexpected of this fanbase, practically hounding players out of the club for having some bad games despite having some fantastic games before that. Has he been good recently? No. Has anyone been good recently? No.

Still think he deserves a couple of seasons with some help before he's totally given up on.

Lyng

Its funny you say that cause Kobbie and Garnacho where awful yesterday. Maybe the talent is there with all three but our current manager is ruining them.

Lee565

Someone tell me how this guy is better than mateta, at least mateta physically bully's defence

spiriticon

The more I see him play, the more I see a Lukaku regen. Good pace, terrible touch, not that great in the air. Even then, I'm not sure he'll be half the fox in the box that Lukaku is. There was a period where he was in the right places at the right time, but now it's gone again.

Let's see if his all round game improves next year. It has to be better.