Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaafi

No, it is alarming. We are literally looking for a goalscorer. If his team scores 31 goals in the last 3 games and he only manage two as a number 9, it is alarming.
I can't tell if you're serious or not. You're actually upset about him not scoring a goal in a match they won 10-0?

What is shows is that they have multiple goal scorers. It's really not more complex than that.

What is he supposed to do? Snatch the ball from the player who is about to shoot?

This constant whining and finding new ways to be upset about everything has to be so tiresome for you.

Posh Red

OMG. He is the fecking striker, was he sleeping during the 10 goals? :lol:
I would not feel better if they win 2-0 and he does not score, but I would be terrified if his team scores 10 and he is nowhere on the score sheet and he is the fecking striker.
Guess how many goals Salah scored when Liverpool beat Bournemouth nine nil last season.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Didn’t we just finish 3rd, win a trophy and were one game away from a cup double without a CF…?

Buying a project CF and then trying to shoehorn them in during a PL season can, and often does, cost you points and matches. Look at Liverpool with Darwin Nunez.

Hoijlund could very easily turn out the same - what we’re Nunez’ numbers before he came to the PL btw? Better or worse than Hoijlund?
Liverpool weren't rubbish because Nunez. Their midfield had no legs and their defenders forgot to defend for half a season.

mav_9me

I haven't seen much of him, but I'm happy to get ETH the striker he wants.

I also totally get why people are skeptical of this, for a 20 y/o to be our main striker...understand the concerns.

But this take of not scoring in a 10-0 is worrying is so stupid, I can't believe it. It's a one off game. Who cares.

I for one can't wait for us to get him and us to start with a proper no.9

SAFMUTD

They could also be the same level prospect or Hojlund can be a better prospect. Currently Ferguson seems to have more of an eye for goal while Hojlund seems to have a lot more to his game. Ferguson has PL tax making him twice as expensive if he even is allowed to leave in the next couple of season, so it's kind of irrelevant.
He definitely won't be twice as expensive when Ferguson is being quoted 60-70M.

I'm genuinely surprised no one has inquired about Ferguson him being such a talent and not even being a starter for Brighton currently surely this is the time where he'll be easier to get (unless he turns out to be not that good of course).

mav_9me

He definitely won't be twice as expensive when Ferguson is being quoted 60-70M.

I'm genuinely surprised no one has inquired
about Ferguson him being such a talent and not even being a starter for Brighton currently surely this is the time where he'll be easier to get (unless he turns out to be not that good of course).
I'm surprised that you are surprised. No one has enquired cuz everyone knows he is not leaving Brighton at this time. He signed a new long term contract earlier this year, as he was starting to show his talent. Which tells you he wants to continue developing there for now and then go for the big move. Yeah you may be able to get him for a crazy amount say 100m€ or something but of course nobody would do that now, at least not yet.

Posh Red

Guess how many league goals Salah scored overall last season - it’s 19.

Guess how many league goals Højlund has scored in his entire career thus far, spanning 3 seasons and in far weaker leagues… it’s 18.
Not sure what any of that has to do with what I said. My point was that making conclusions about a player based on one game, where they didn’t score, doesn’t make sense. What does your reply have to do with that?

mav_9me

Guess how many league goals Højlund has scored in his entire career thus far, spanning 3 seasons and in far weaker leagues… it’s 18.
Exactly. Your point is a valid one (even if you are comparing an experienced peak performer, which is what he is in that Bournemouth match, so fair) whereas that point of not scoring in a 10-0 point is useless.

Chief123

Those having a meltdown at him not scoring in a 10-0 friendly win must think Salah is shit for not scoring in a competitive league game Liverpool won 9-0.

FrantikChicken

first of all this doesn’t address the point made about the 10-0 game, but sure I’ll bite.

guess how old Salah is? Now guess how many league goals he had scored at the age of 20? Now guess how old he was when he made it to one of the top leagues in Europe?

Strelok

What difference does that make? Other players can't score goals because he's the striker? That logic is actually hilarious.

Atalanta winning 10-0 and him not scoring literally did him a disfavour in your eyes.
That logic is not hilarious mate. When a team scored 10 goals in a friendly match that mean they absolutely dominated the game and created a shitload of chances. As a #9 if you didn't score any that means you either didn't know how to get to the end of those chances, or didn't know how to finish.

No offense you seem a big fan of him and always defend him I have no prolem with that but let's call a spade a spade. It's actually very worrying.

SAFMUTD

I'm surprised that you are surprised. No one has enquired cuz everyone knows he is not leaving Brighton at this time. He signed a new long term contract earlier this year, as he was starting to show his talent. Which tells you he wants to continue developing there for now and then go for the big move. Yeah you may be able to get him for a crazy amount say 100m€ or something but of course nobody would do that now, at least not yet.
He's not a starter for Brighton so him coming as a rotation option for us doesn't mean he'll be playing less minutes as he currently is. He can still develop here, I would tempt Brighton with a 50M offer. I do believe he has all the attributes to be a very good complete forward.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's not a starter for Brighton so him coming as a rotation option for us doesn't mean he'll be playing less minutes as he currently is. He can still develop here, I would tempt Brighton with a 50M offer. I do believe he has all the attributes to be a very good complete forward.
This made me laugh

zaafi

That logic is not hilarious mate. When a team scored 10 goals in a friendly match that mean they absolutely dominated the game and created a shitload of chances. As a #9 if you didn't score any that means you either didn't know how to get to the end of those chances, or didn't know how to finish.

No offense you seem a big fan of him and always defend him I have no prolem with that but let's call a spade a spade. It's actually very worrying.
I usually appreciate your posts and enjoy these discussions, but can't say I agree with this one bit.

I'm actually a bit surprised how people come to these conclusions. Football isn't as black and white as that, and that bolded part is literally something you just made up.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Not sure what any of that has to do with what I said. My point was that making conclusions about a player based on one game, where they didn’t score, doesn’t make sense. What does your reply have to do with that?
You referenced Salah as comparable with Højlund, my point is that they’re not in the same ballpark and shouldn’t be compared - especially to try and vaguely suggest that Højlund’s inability to score in a 10 goal drubbing against pre season dross is comparable to an all time PL great blanking in a 9 goal drubbing of a competitive PL team.

You chose to compare him to Salah, not me.

Hojlund, thus far, has failed to blow up in the duff leagues he’s been playing in. His lack of goals thus far WILL be brought up, he’s an out and out striker, that’s what his job is.

Strelok

I usually appreciate your posts and enjoy these discussions, but can't say I agree with this one bit.

I'm actually a bit surprised how people come to these conclusions. Football isn't as black and white as that, and that bolded part is literally something you just made up.
We could agree to disagree then I think.

evil_geko

The logic of some people on here. :lol: There were Man City games where they scored 4, 5 games and Haaland didn't score any of them, it fecking happens, bloody hell! Overreacting about a preseason game, in the usual Caf spirit! Alarming? The only thing that is alarming is your logic. :lol:

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
You referenced Salah as comparable with Højlund, my point is that they’re not in the same ballpark and shouldn’t be compared - especially to try and vaguely suggest that Højlund’s inability to score in a 10 goal drubbing against pre season dross is comparable to an all time PL great blanking in a 9 goal drubbing of a competitive PL team.

Hojlund, thus far, has failed to blow up in the duff leagues he’s been playing in. His lack of goals thus far WILL be brought up, he’s an out and out striker, that’s what his job is.
It was made to show how stupid it is to have concerns that a player didn't score in a 10-0 win. What you've posted after means no one needed to do that, you've done that yourself.

zaafi

Salah didn't score in a 9-0. Højlund didn't score in a 10-0. That was the whole point. No one claimed Højlund is better or comparable to Salah.

Only on the caf does one rate a player less after winning a match 10-0 because he didn't score. feck me this place is grim at times.

mav_9me

Not just about minutes. Lot less scrutiny at Brighton to develop in peace under a great coach and set up.

Not sure if the 50m offer was supposed to be a joke.

Abraxas

It's not remotely worrying. It happens in football relatively frequently that a team gets hammered and its not always the expected ones that fill their boots. Over individual matches there is some variance that is going to play out which is why scouts should not and probably do not over extrapolate from individual matches. They build up a picture.

Was it worrying for his teammates when none of them scored and Hojlund gets the crucial goal in a meaningful game? Probably not.

Bertie Wooster

I keep dipping in and out of this thread, mostly to see if any of the posts are about tweets / updates on the transfer from ITK's.

I'm surprised there seems to be some who are so set against / concerned about the signing, to be honest. If we had some established, elite level alternatives and were opting for him instead then I'd get it. But all the options that are available / we can afford are all a level or so below the likes of Kane, Haaland, etc, so I don't really think there's much to get worked up about that the club seem to be going for Hojlund as opposed to Muani, Ramos, etc. None are going to be any cheaper either, some more expensive, and others - like Ferguson, probably not even available.

So I'm happy enough, given our limited budget and therefore the limited options available, to go along with the clubs choice of those non-elite options.

Posh Red

Where?

I don’t know what you’re going on about to be honest.

redshaw

From 17-20 years of age, Salah and Hojlund are quite comparable, not that means anything at all. Hundreds of players will have hundreds of different outcomes.

All we can say is Hojlund is a bigger gamble for a PL club at 20y than Pool buying Salah (or any hot talent) at 25y after scoring a lot of goals at 23-24y for Roma. We can look at the players attributes.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Salah didn't score in a 9-0. Højlund didn't score in a 10-0. That was the whole point. No one claimed Højlund is better or comparable to Salah.

Only on the caf does one rate a player less after winning a match 10-0 because he didn't score. feck me this place is grim at times.
It was made to show how stupid it is to have concerns that a player didn't score in a 10-0 win. What you've posted after means no one needed to do that, you've done that yourself.
What you both seem unable / unwilling to grasp is that there should be concerns if a pure 9, playing as a CF, who offers little else and who’s being talked up as a 70m signing for your club fails to score in a 10-0 win against complete dross.

Comparing him to Salah - a wide forward, who isn’t a pure 9 and offers a lot more, blanking in a competitive PL match is snide and should be called out as such.

Hojlund is under the microscope and should be critiqued, hard. If he’s coming to Man Utd as the lead CF that will be the norm - get used to it.

And if he’d scored 4 goals in that game, you know full well that all of you that are now claiming his blank means feck all wouldn’t be saying the same about his haul.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
There are plenty of valid reasons to be underwhelmed about the potential signing of this lad. He's got a pretty average goal record in fairly weak leagues, and seems to have been getting a lot of his goals playing on the counter in a front two. His hold-up play doesn't seem anything to write home about and he can't particularly head the ball for someone who's 6'3".

Moaning that he didn't score in a 10-0 win in a friendly against goat herders is mental, though.

Strelok

It's not remotely worrying. It happens in football relatively frequently that a team gets hammered and its not always the expected ones that fill their boots. Over individual matches there is some variance that is going to play out which is why scouts should not and probably do not over extrapolate from individual matches. They build up a picture.

Was it worrying for his teammates when none of them scored and Hojlund gets the crucial goal in a meaningful game? Probably not.
There is a reason why a #9 often scores the most goals in any team. And in a friendly match it's usually much easier to score than in a competitive match. If a #9 can't score a single goal while his team scored 10, in a friendly match then something is obviously wrong here. It's so obvious unless you refuse to see it.

Tbh I started getting tired of this as I hate pointless discussion so this is my last reply on this subject.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Judging if a striker is good based on how many goals he scored in a single high-scoring game is just a weak argument

Side note though, if you watch the highlight, he should have scored a goal at least

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Judging if a striker is good based on how many goals he scored in a single high-scoring game is just a weak argument

Side note though, if you watch the highlight, he should have scored a goal at least
Do you really think that's all they are basing it from?

zaafi

There is a reason why a #9 often scores the most goals in any team. And in a friendly match it's usually much easier to score than in a competitive match. If a #9 can't score a single goal while his team scored 10, in a friendly match then something is obviously wrong here. It's so obvious unless you refuse to see it.

Tbh I started getting tired of this as I hate pointless discussion so this is my last reply on this subject.
It's okay to be critical of this potential signing, but all of this post is made up. You can find so many matches where teams won dominantly and their striker didn't score. It is literally a game of 90 minutes and there are so many factors that comes into play, and not this simple, whiny "he is a striker who couldn't score in a friendly, he sucks"-post.

Status
Not open for further replies.