g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStarUnited

Some of the amateur fecking accountants in here, feck me. Some people just have to have a moan about anything and everything. You don’t see Madrid fans whining why they spent x on a player they really wanted. They just celebrate getting them. Which is what we should be doing here. Why the obsession over the fee? The same should be expected of him whether we paid 55m or 75m.

The bottom line is that he was the managers top choice for a CF, and we’ve gotten the deal done at a price we could afford, and early in the window. In a position we DESPERATELY needed to strengthen. I don’t understand what’s not to like here.

Madrid dropped 80m on a bench player for the future last summer, as they forward plan, and their fans took it with typical big dick energy. Meanwhile we’ve got a gaggle of mewling quims, who get a better chubby from winning the bookkeeping DoF olympics, than actually building a good squad. The same harem of snivlepots who are still whining about how much Antony cost, or think jokes about “preparing a bid, or monitoring developments” are still funny.

This place is honestly such a depressing buzzkill most of the time. Shoot me for coming in excited we’ve signed a top talent, for a position we were desperately lacking in. I should’ve known I’d be walking into a nerdy, uninformed, nihilistic circle jerk.

Realistically mate Madrid are run better and their fans also expect a lot more. When/If he is a certified flop then Madrid will probably sell him pretty swiftly. And those big d energy fans don't get shy when they dont like a player. Antony would have already been bood.

AndyMUFC

The market is crazy so the fee is the fee. Pointless caring about that these days.

It's an incredibly exciting deal and while we shouldn't expect miracles straight away, he's working with an elite coach in Ten Hag which ca only help his development if his potential is as high as some think.

avgp_1

Was massively impressed with him last season.

Delighted we are about to get him. He will enjoy the PL

humdinger

He seems very promising, glad we’re wrapping this up. Shame it wasn’t done for the tour, but he will still get some preseason games.

saik

Funny thing, United signed him for the exact same amount in my FM save albeit 3 years later. :lol:

His attributes don't look shabby either.

zaafi

Real Madrid bought a 16 year old Endrick for €70m (add-ons included) and they are praised for it.

We buy a 20 year old Højlund for €70m and the same people just cant resist the urge of whining endlessly because we could potentially have negotiated it down by €6m if we had spent another month on the deal.

Marcelinho87

Wild, wild money for a player at his age and situation. Fans will, unfortunately, slam him if he doesn't start hot or when he has his first inevitable dry spell. Excited to get him in but, hope he handles the expectations well.
The only fans doing any slamming are on forums, and they mostly just flap gums at one another.. match goers won't hurl at him like they don't others (bar Maguire)

mu4c_20le

Just realized he cost more than Vlahovic, who dominated serie a for two years.

ErikElevenHag

Young lad, high potential and wants to play for the club. What's not to get excited about.

Hope he can be a star for us, even if it isn't in the coming season.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Well feck it, im balls deep into Ten Hag right now so if he says jump, im asking how high. Give the man what he wants. Proof will be how well we're doing in 18 months still imo.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think he'll be a good starting striker for Denmark for years. I haven't yet seen anything that gives me confidence that he has it in him to become one of the best strikers of his generation. Most facets of his game are very raw, he doesn't really stand out in any particular area, and despite scoring a lot of goals in those games, he actually missed quite a few big chances too. I'm excited to see a Danish striker at United and I hope for the sake of both my club and country that I'm wrong but I simply don't see him as someone who has it in him to nail down a starting spot at a club like United – and I think it's also somewhat worrying that the coaches at FC Copenhagen didn't really rate him that highly just 18 months ago.
If anything, the fact that he was trashed at FC copenhagen, then went to sturm and earned himself a move to the serie a all in a year screams of a great mentality, plus he went into the national team and delivered right away. He has the physical attributes, he is no weghorst on the ball either, plus he got a goal nose which is the most important aspect of a striker. There is clearly a lot of potential in this guy, and of course he can make it here.

RedStarUnited

I'm unfathomably bored, so to all the "9 goals is hardly great"-chaps, here's a few great strikers in their first season in a top-5 league:

Name + Age in seasonClubSeasonGoals - all comps.Assists - all comps. Minutes per goal/assist
Zlatan - 22/23 years oldJuventus2004-0516 goals11 assists133 minutes
Højlund - 19/20 years oldAtalanta2022-2310 goals4 assists135 minutes
Raúl - 17 years oldReal Madrid1994-9510 goals3 assists145 minutes
Lewandowski - 22/23 years oldDortmund2010-119 goals4 assists152 minutes
Torres - 18/19 years oldAtl. Madrid2002-0314 goals1 assist163 minutes
Batistuta - 22/23 years oldFiorentina1991-9214 goals0 assists179 minutes
Agüero - 18 years oldAtl. Madrid2006-077 goals0 goals394 minutes

Do with it what you want. I look at it as a way a normalizing expectations for strikers and their goal hauls in a top-5 league. As I've found out, a bunch of the strikers that became legends, had top 5-league debut seasons where they didn't necessarily score or assist 1,5 goals a game like Haaland or Brazilian Ronaldo.

Højlund will be an extremely exciting signing. I just hope our fans are aware of the fact they can't simultaneously want a young striker and also demand that the young striker is a finished product. It's not how signing a 20 year old works - Haaland is an anomaly in that regard. Højlund will miss sitters, misplace passes, shoot where he should've passed, pass where he should've shot, but hopefully we can develop him into a world class striker and be our first one since van Persie.
Erm I think the point is, no one paid this sum of money for any of the players you mentioned at a similar age.

Two things can be right. We are over paying and He might be worth it.

Eddy_JukeZ

Erm I think the point is, no one paid this sum of money for any of the players you mentioned at a similar age.

Market inflation.

Everyone is paying more money now than they were 10 or 20 years ago.

Spark

Well feck it, im balls deep into Ten Hag right now so if he says jump, im asking how high. Give the man what he wants. Proof will be how well we're doing in 18 months still imo.
Agreed. Back ETH to the hilt, even my rival supporting mates can see he’s class.

Get Acrobat in, sell some deadwood, and this is another promising window.

marktan

Real Madrid bought a 16 year old Endrick for €70m (add-ons included) and they are praised for it.

We buy a 20 year old Højlund for €70m and the same people just cant resist the urge of whining endlessly because we could potentially have negotiated it down by €6m if we had spent another month on the deal.
I mean that's the club that also bought Vinicius and Rodrygo for 50m euros a piece, and one of them has turned out to be the best LW in the world currently (if you count Mbappe as a striker). And tbf Endrick has looked unreal in some tournaments played.

We're the club that's spent £70m a piece of Sancho and Antony, and Hojlund has only looked okay for Atlanta. It's not the same.

bosskeano

if Hojlund can hit double digit goals next season taht will be brilliant and money well spent....i think his pace and channel running is really going to open up space more for rashy, garnacho, sancho and antony. might even see martial pushed out wide at times.

Smores

It's funny but many only accept we overpay in the abstract or when talking about players who have already failed (Maguire, Lukaku etc). It's like they can't see the risk of spending big whilst it's in front of them.

It's an exciting signings for sure but it'd be nice if people would just be honest rather than posturing. It's obviously risky because a prospect by definition is an unknown quantity who may or may not rise to more. We can only ever truly judge return on investment in hindsight but we can discuss the risks.

Malone_Post

One thing that is very obvious when watching clips and videos of him is that he is absolutely tailor made for the PL. Big, strong, athletic, fast. I don’t think he’ll have any trouble adapting to the physical side of English football. Something that the likes of Sancho, Antony, Donny really did (still do) struggle with. This guy was built to play in the PL.

Dazzmondo

Funny thing, United signed him for the exact same amount in my FM save albeit 3 years later. :lol:

His attributes don't look shabby either.
Not starting, hmm. Who's playing up front?

zaafi

I mean that's the club that also bought Vinicius and Rodrygo for 50m euros a piece, and one of them has turned out to be the best LW in the world currently (if you count Mbappe as a striker). And tbf Endrick has looked unreal in some tournaments played.

We're the club that's spent £70m a piece of Sancho and Antony, and Hojlund has only looked okay for Atlanta. It's not the same.
Endrick is 16 and has done absolutely nothing. He shows his talent in Brazil. Can you honestly tell me you would be happy if United paid €70m for him?

He has not looked "okay". He is one of the highest rated youth strikers. It's nauseating how United fans are upset about this. You think it's completely rational to pay €70m for a 16 year old in Brazil but not a 20 year old who plays for Atalanta?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
More expensive than Haaland or what :houllier:

Would rather splash the cash on Vlahovic for that price tag. Proven Serie A quality

jesperjaap

I have barely seen him to comment on the fee individually. My only concern with the fee is if it effect us buying other players, as I still think we need a second keeper, a second striker, another cm and another centre back in a ideal world. Dont see that happening, but we should at least sign two more after him to seriously progress.

We were always paying a premium for Hoijlund, having paid so much for Amad from them and being such a shortage of quality young strikers in Europe currently. But payig more to get the deal done and him into training and preseason could be a big thing.

As for the "we need a proven goalscorer, his record isnt great" blah blah blah. Omishen would have blown our budget (and is only proven for a season), Kane may have been a fortune for possibly a season or two....we are not ready to challenge for the title, so I was personally against the deal, we arent yet just a missing link like Cantona away from a title........and anyway, last season we had Martial....on the bench and Weghorst who may as well have been.....signing any decent striker hugely improves us and he seem mentally, physically, age wise and ability the perfect fit.

I think some of the criticism for the likes of Antony weere unfair......now lets see how he does this season where he actually has a striker to feed and run off....think people are obsessed with goals from a striker siging, what he offers extra to the likes of Sancho, Antony, Fernandes and new signing Mount could be massive as well as taking a bit of a scoring burden away from the likes of Rashford.

Excited to see him in action as have only seen youtube and about 20mins for Denmark

reddev3

Can't believe all the doom and gloom in here, he's going to be an awesome signing. You don't need to be a great striker to score loads of goals in the Premiere league anymore, your team just needs to create a lot of chances and the vast majority of the Prem does nowadays with all the high paced attacking football and high lines.

FFs Bamford scored 17 with 8 assists under Biesla and he wasn't even on pens, then you have Watkins, Wilson, Mitrovic, Toney all scoring freely last season when they were on the pitch. You also had Kane bagging 30 in a crap team, Haaland could have easily hit 40 if he wasn't being rested near the end and then there's Jesus with 11 all the while missing half the season with a bad knee injury and not being able to hit a barn door when he was fit (he could have 7/8 against Leicestershire alone) and the big one, Awoniyi got 10 playing for Forrest in 1400 minutes.

All this talk of him struggling to hit double figures is nonsense, if he plays the majority of the minutes I would not be surprised if hits 20+ Prem goals this season.

The Irish Connection

If he can score 10 goals, hold it up and work for the team better than Martial I’ll be happy.
Looks like he has pace and power so that’s a great foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.