Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelinho87

Don't get the concern.

This is a Manchester United type signing if ever there was one.. we were at our best when signing the biggest potential and never when we signed the finished article.

I'm excited.

DevTheRed

If we can get him for around £40m-50m I think it’s a great buy in all honesty. For a 20 year old he looks like he holds the ball up and links play very well whilst also being very quick and able to run at defences and stretch play.

From a few videos I’ve seen he also has decent movement in the box. We’ve seen how much Rashford has improved in and around the box after working with Benni and there’s no reason why this guy can’t improve vastly also. Very exciting signing.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Don't get the concern.

This is a Manchester United type signing if ever there was one.. we were at our best when signing the biggest potential and never when we signed the finished article.

I'm excited.
Well, the biggest potential is where some of the doubt is coming from. But I guess the price seems to be an obstacle right now so let's see whether we manage to sign him at all

Strelok

We always used to complain that the commercial side of the club ruled the nest. But I suspect the footballing side wants to keep him. Greenwood was scoring more goals -- mind you, from the RW than Hojlund was at the same age.

Let's see who will make the decision this time -- commercial or the footballing side of the club.
It's a bit off topic but imo it'd be the Glazers or the new owners who would have the final say in this.

Crashoutcassius

Don't think this guy starts for us this year regardless of the fee. Think he will be back up to martial and that rashford will also get minutes up front in the games we need to hit on the break. There's just nothing to suggest he would come in and be an auto starter with the lack of experience and goals he has. Presume that is why we don't want to part with 60m, because he is a depth option as a long term number 9 deal will take longer to get done.

Remember the geese

There's just nothing to suggest he would come in and be an auto starter
Pretty simple really. He will be the only striker we have. Martial is barely worth a mention due to his unavailability. Rashford is an option as a 9, with Garnacho/Sancho on the left, but I only see that as being something we do now and then and not consistently throughout the season.

swissgenius

Don't think this guy starts for us this year regardless of the fee. Think he will be back up to martial and that rashford will also get minutes up front in the games we need to hit on the break. There's just nothing to suggest he would come in and be an auto starter with the lack of experience and goals he has. Presume that is why we don't want to part with 60m, because he is a depth option as a long term number 9 deal will take longer to get done.
Considering Martial will be injured for 2/3 of the season, he will get plenty of minutes. Heck, he is already and/or still away with an injury to start the season...
Rashford is basically the only other option at CF and he won't start 50 games.
Can see Garnacho filling in there but his speed is better used out wide.

zenith

As I see it, we are only half addressing the problem of a striker with the best possible alternative we can under the circumstances.

The no. 9 role will likely be shared between martial, rashford and hojlund with the system being a more important aspect than the individual skills of the players.

We'll likely keep our net spend down this year and make another play for a big name striker next year once the takeover situation is resolved and martial is out of contract.

Swedish_Plumber

God there’s so much negativity :lol: Haven’t even signed the lad yet! What are you gonna be like when he hasn’t scored within 10 mins of his debut?

lysglimt

Scout
This guy reminds me of James Wilson, IMO he'll be a championship-level player in a few years. But I like club bets on young players, it'll be fun to watch him.
Yes because James Wilson had 6 international goals in 6 matches by the time he was 20 like Højlund has - jeez

El Jefe

God there’s so much negativity :lol: Haven’t even signed the lad yet! What are you gonna be like when he hasn’t scored within 10 mins of his debut?
Concern isn't the same as negativity. I don't see posters bashing him or the club, just rightfully questioning if he has enough to contribute to the level we'll need next season.

cyberman

Concern isn't the same as negativity. I don't see posters bashing him or the club, just rightfully questioning if he has enough to contribute to the level we'll need next season.
How is it rightfully so when no Cnut here has seen him play bar a few Danish fans?

WirralRed

People are just obsessed with Stats these days and as soon as they see them they base their opinions around that. Betting hardly anyone crying in here has ever watched him play.

El Jefe

How is it rightfully so when no Cnut here has seen him play bar a few Danish fans?
Let's even say that's true, the Danish fans have pretty much said he's raw and this move might be coming too soon.

That aside, he's 20 and he's not some young prodigy like Mbappe so coning to the league and being expected to be our saviour upfront is clearly asking for too much IMO.

What we need is a big time goal scorer, and I don't see Højlund being that next season or even the year after and that's where the concern comes from.

Remember the geese

Let's even say that's true, the Danish fans have pretty much said he's raw and this move might be coming too soon.

That aside, he's 20 and he's not some young prodigy like Mbappe so coning to the league and being expected to be our saviour upfront is clearly asking for too much IMO.

What we need is a big time goal scorer, and I don't see Højlund being that next season or even the year after and that's where the concern comes from.
There isn't any need for concern. People just can't seem to accept that outside of Kane and Osimhen there isn't anyone who can come in and be that "big time goal scorer", as you put it. Therefore, the alternative is to sign someone who could potentially be that man - further down the line.

Lyng

I am a danish fan and I disagree with several of the other danes on Højlund. I think he is highly underrated by danes in general. And this is coming from someone who always thought danes overrated Dolberg.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
As I see it, we are only half addressing the problem of a striker with the best possible alternative we can under the circumstances.

The no. 9 role will likely be shared between martial, rashford and hojlund with the system being a more important aspect than the individual skills of the players.

We'll likely keep our net spend down this year and make another play for a big name striker next year once the takeover situation is resolved and martial is out of contract.
As others said, Martial is not reliable and not fit enough to be counted on. Rashford will most likely play upfront and share the position with Hojlund, especially as Garnacho on the left will have an even bigger impact this season. So in a way, we solve the issue to have a young, talented, upcoming striker in that position. For anyone else (Kane, Osimhen), we're priced out.

massey

So according to this thread atm he's got a decent output considering the minutes he's played but also hasn't scored enough,is going to flop in a few years and be the next James Wilson or is the best Danish talent since Brian laudrup.

Trex

The reason you get all this microanalysis and negativity is because he's within our reach. Its looking like its just a matter of time so he's getting downplayed just like Onana, Rashford and Bruno.
Go look at Mac Alister thread earlier this summer when he was being linked, it was full of people saying not good enough. Suddenly he was the best thing since slice bread and better than Mount when it became clear we were buying Mount. Weird inferiority complex from a fan base whose club is the most dominant in English football history.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

What we want is a big time goalscorer.

What we need is a CF who can help us to finish in the CL places again this year, which doesn't require someone quite so prolific.

Then next summer we can always reassess. It's not like we won't still have room for another CF signing, and maybe within that year someone will have emerged or become available. Or maybe we'll be in a better position financially to pursue someone like Osimhen.

Strelok

So according to this thread atm he's got a decent output considering the minutes he's played but also hasn't scored enough,is going to flop in a few years and be the next James Wilson or is the best Danish talent since Brian laudrup.
It's more like most agree the lad has good potential but still very young, a bit raw so nobody can be even half sure how he'd do here.

massey

It's more like most agree the lad has good potential but still very young, a bit raw so nobody can be even half sure how he'd do here.
I definitely get that because of his raw potential and age views on him will be polarising but just think it's strange to write him off as to me he looks to have the tools to be top quality striker,even him starting some games and coming off the bench against tired legs with pace would be exciting imo and I'd rather see him than a weghorst or martial.

cyberman

We’ve all watched United games and there’s still weirdos questioning Rashford and Bruno. Fans not seeing what’s there is more common than you think and it’s a much smaller sample size on top of that.

Dempsey19

I hate this "move too soon stuff". If we don't sign him and he has a great season everyone be moaning that we didn't sign him and coming up with random things like he would of gotten us 15-18 points more with his goals.

Also his price be higher next year if he has a good season.

Kostov

Maybe scouts do just that - scout - and recommend. Perhaps, just perhaps, they don't actually make the decision on who to bring in? You do realise we scouted both Caicedo and Vinicius Junior first?
I do, therefor I pointed out in the other post that it's not just them. But the level of incompetence has been so high that surely some scouts have been bellow the required level. The Italy scout who recommended Amad is maybe the same scout here. Would you be comfortable with his evaluation of talent for instance?
He is a player who keeps getting repeated, but he isn't good enough.
Maybe he is not linked to us, but "he isn't good enough" is an absolute nonsense, he is much more proven talent compared to Hojlund for instance. If Atalanta are really stinking to 70m evaluation, then exploring Vlahovic for cheaper is probably a safer bet.

El Jefe

There isn't any need for concern. People just can't seem to accept that outside of Kane and Osimhen there isn't anyone who can come in and be that "big time goal scorer", as you put it. Therefore, the alternative is to sign someone who could potentially be that man - further down the line.
But this almost proves my point. Højlund could come good and reach the desired level we want for our No.9 but in the short term there could still be a void and that's where the concern comes from. Can he hit the ground running soon enough to fulfill our striker needs this coming season?
I am a danish fan and I disagree with several of the other danes on Højlund. I think he is highly underrated by danes in general. And this is coming from someone who always thought danes overrated Dolberg.
This is good to hear but as you mention there are several posters that have this view. Hopefully you're the one that ends up being right.
What we want is a big time goalscorer.

What we need is a CF who can help us to finish in the CL places again this year, which doesn't require someone quite so prolific.

Then next summer we can always reassess. It's not like we won't still have room for another CF signing, and maybe within that year someone will have emerged or become available. Or maybe we'll be in a better position financially to pursue someone like Osimhen.
No we need a goal scorer, its not a want. Watching us last season it was the most glaring limitation of the team.

Taking top four for granted as you seem to be doing is a dangerous game. Sure we should be expected to make it but it will be even more difficult than last year considering our rivals are making signings too and in some cases have no European games.

Lyng

This is good to hear but as you mention there are several posters that have this view. Hopefully you're the one that ends up being right.
Yes and of course there are never guarantees in football. But his strength are exactly what I felt we where missing last season.

Strelok

I definitely get that because of his raw potential and age views on him will be polarising but just think it's strange to write him off as to me he looks to have the tools to be top quality striker,even him starting some games and coming off the bench against tired legs with pace would be exciting imo and I'd rather see him than a weghorst or martial.
Yeah writing him off atm is pretty the same with saying he'd score 30 goals next season imo, just too extreme. Nobody knows.

Anyway imo he'll see a lot gametime next season if we buy him. And I hope if things don't go well for him at first people could be a bit patient with him. He's still very young and the PL is surely tough.

Remember the geese

But this almost proves my point. Højlund could come good and reach the desired level we want for our No.9 but in the short term there could still be a void and that's where the concern comes from. Can he hit the ground running soon enough to fulfill our striker needs this coming season?
But who/what is the alternative? Any striker who isn't Kane or Osimhen will leave a void. No point worrying about something that isn't available to you in the first place. The club clearly feel that outside of Kane and Osimhen, Højlund is the best candidate in terms of price, but importantly also, current ability. This in addition to the potential upside obviously.

El Jefe

We’ve all watched United games and there’s still weirdos questioning Rashford and Bruno. Fans not seeing what’s there is more common than you think and it’s a much smaller sample size on top of that.
So if its good stuff being said we should take it as gospel but if its something not positive it should be dismissed?

Also lets not pretend like the critics always get things wrong and the positive posters are always right. There is more than enough evidence on here to disprove that. Both sides are wrong often. I recall posters being super high on the likes of Brandon Williams, Elanga, Dan James, Henderson. As recent as last season there were those calling people out for criticising De Gea.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I rate the lad but 20 goals is a bit too much imo. 5 in the league + another 5 in other comp and I'd be happy. He's young, still raw and new to the league too much expectation won't do him and us any good imo. As long as he can keep the ball and help us to link the play a bit I'm fine even if he doesn't score much. Goals should not be the only thing we care about in evaluating a #9 imo.
That would be a horrendous return for a 60m striker. Even Nunez managed to score more and he was labelled as a donkey

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I rate the lad but 20 goals is a bit too much imo. 5 in the league + another 5 in other comp and I'd be happy. He's young, still raw and new to the league too much expectation won't do him and us any good imo. As long as he can keep the ball and help us to link the play a bit I'm fine even if he doesn't score much. Goals should not be the only thing we care about in evaluating a #9 imo.
I agree with the latter, but Martial scored 18 goals in his first season for us, I think 10 goals for such an expensive striker in a good squad with a good manager in an attacking system is a real disappointment. If we're paying 60-70m I expect AT LEAST 15.

Strelok

That would be a horrendous return for a 60m striker. Even Nunez managed to score more and he was labelled as a donkey
Nunez was 23-24 yo and cost 85m. Hojlund is 20 yo and reportedly would cost us about 50m + add ons. Anyway yeah Nunez is a donkey.
I agree with the latter, but Martial scored 18 goals in his first season for us, I think 10 goals for such an expensive striker in a good squad with a good manager in an attacking system is a real disappointment. If we're paying 60-70m I expect AT LEAST 15.
Imo Martial performed well above what was expected of him back then. Using that as a minimal bar for any young striker is a bit unfair and unrealistic imo. And it's the hope that kills.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

No we need a goal scorer, its not a want. Watching us last season it was the most glaring limitation of the team.

Taking top four for granted as you seem to be doing is a dangerous game. Sure we should be expected to make it but it will be even more difficult than last year considering our rivals are making signings too and in some cases have no European games.
I'm not taking top 4 (or rather Top 5 as 5th will likely get a CL place this season) for granted at all.

But the reality is that you don't need a particularly prolific goalscorer to finish in those places, though it would obviously help.

Hojlund returned 0.44 non-penalty goals every 90min last season. Looking at Arsenal for comparison (who were in an actual title race last season), their two most prolific goalcorers by the same measure were Martinelli (0.48) and Jesus (0.44). The former being outmatched by Rashford (0.53) and the latter returning on par with Hojlund.

The point being that we don't need our CF individually returning at particular high rate. What we need is more goals from the team as a whole, who had the third biggest underperformance on their underlying stats in the league last season.

And when you look at the individual players in our team who underperformed in that regard it wasn't just the strikers, it was a collective issue:

As compared to Arsenal's more reasonable spread of under/over performers.

Collective improvement is needed. If Hojlund just returns at the rate he did in Serie A he'll have done his part as a new signing, but the rest of the team has to score more too.

Skills

Snitch
This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

I hope we genuinely invest gametime into developing him though, rather than benching him after a year. If we genuinely think he's the real deal now, that decision shouldn't change in just a years time.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

I hope we genuinely invest gametime into developing him though, rather than benching him after a year. If we genuinely think he's the real deal now, that decision shouldn't change in just a years time.
A good example of that is Vinicius. He wasn't ready when he joined Real Madrid but they gave him game time from the start and kept giving him game time when he was struggling. And if people are being rational, in the short term we are trying to replace Weghorst's contribution, whoever join us improve the attack by simply being better than Weghorst or a cooked Ronaldo. We are not replacing prime Rooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.