Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

Something happened. Doing circles over Cat and fiddle inn in Macclesfield forest.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Football. First time I was only 19 years old and did the ACL after my studs got caught in the turf meaning I went one way and my knee went the other - :mad: Had the operation at 21 and was back playing aabout 18 months after that.

Second time, I was about 32 and playing 5 a side. A very large gentleman on the other team lost his balance and fell into the side of my leg pushing the joint inwards and rupturing same knee with the repaired ligament. With advances in surgery since the 90s I was back playing within 7 months of the operation. I am still playing 5 a side now aged 48.
Feck... very unlucky with the two ruptures.

I had a cracked tail bone after getting kneed in a ruck. But most of my fractures have been from mountain biking. I am supposedly have a degenerative MCL so I cant really run anymore -- certainly no more footie which is sad.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Hope he's got thick skin, the British media already have their teeth out for him...
He's joining on 70m+ to the biggest club in England. Why would he not be posted about relentlessly?

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I hope he brought a gas can.
They are giving the large passenger planes priority, so making them circle for a bit.
Don't they know it's Hojlund? Much more important than a bunch of no name "passengers".

Wheato

Just seen the plane go over, disappeared in the clouds above Kinder scout. Heading over Glossop now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Football. First time I was only 19 years old and did the ACL after my studs got caught in the turf meaning I went one way and my knee went the other - :mad: Had the operation at 21 and was back playing aabout 18 months after that.

Second time, I was about 32 and playing 5 a side. A very large gentleman on the other team lost his balance and fell into the side of my leg pushing the joint inwards and rupturing same knee with the repaired ligament. With advances in surgery since the 90s I was back playing within 7 months of the operation. I am still playing 5 a side now aged 48.
I'm similar to you. Was 18 on my first one, was closing down a player and as I cut to the side, my knee buckled. Other leg was when I was 23, did a body feint while on the ball, felt the wobble and heard the noise, so passed the ball off, limped off the pitch and did my own knee extensions to test and it was off. Didn't actually hurt much for either, but got very swollen and was more the dread of knowing what happened.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Saw this on reddit, which I thought was a good perspective to look at the fee with.

No way we would sell our most promising/talented youngster who is clearly on upward trajectory, no matter how meh his stats appears to be.

When Vinicius Junior was only at 20 years of age, he has like 6 goals 4 assists in 49 games for Real Madrid. Very meh stats. The next season he exploded and went 22 goals 16 assists in 52 games.

strandty

He's down :drool: 30 mins to an hour before we see the blacked out Merc arriving at Carrington I'd imagine then

HaliRed

Hahaha, it's been a while since I've noticed a Flight Tracker discussion in here. I forgot how entertaining these are, with everyone in an uncharacteristic good mood in the Caf!

dinostar77

What's there to be baffled at? He's an elite CF prospect. Top CF prospects are very rare. Bayern are signing a 30 year old after they went a year without a striker because their mid 30s striker left to go to Barca. Madrid lost their mid 30s striker and are using a striker less formation now, waiting to sign Mbappe who is a wide forward anyway. City have Haaland who along with Osimhen are literally the only under 30 year old strikers who are ready for top teams. Before getting Haaland, City went a year without a striker too. Liverpool don't really have a striker, just a bunch of wide forwards. Arsenal have Jesus who is a CF and works hard but doesn't score much.

The CF market is shit is what it is. Football stopped developing strikers so when you get the chance to sign a top prospect, you simply pay up if you want him.

You have Haaland, Kane, Lewandowski, Osimhen, Benzema who are the top level strikers currently. 3 of them are 30+, 1 is at City and the other is getting quoted at 150m+, and was bought by Napoli before he did much for 70m anyway.

You have a bunch of wide forwards who teams try to adapt to make do at CF, to varying degrees, like Jota/Gakpo, Isak, Kolo Muani, even Mbappe, who aren't proper #9's and don't really do that hold up play and being a focal point (or to varying levels).

You have mid tier players like Lautaro, Vlahović, Toney, Ramos, Watkins, Mitrovic who are being quoted absurd fees without having top level potential, so you would pay elite level prices for Europa League production out of them as their ceiling.

Then you have a few youngsters with big potential, like Hojlund and Sesko. And of them, Hojlund is the one of the very few on this entire list who is a proper #9 with all the tools to be a top center forward. Think of it like paying to get a CF in the mold of Dzeko, Lewandowski, Ibra, Kane, Drogba, Cavani, etc at the age of 20. None of these guys did anything at that age, most broke out at 22/23 (Kane at 21). The second these guys break through, they are over 100m and pretty much unobtainable if you didn't get them beforehand (unless you are Haaland who puts a clause in). It's securing a rare profile, elite talent that we happen to be in dire need of as well, and a player who may not be all that far away from stepping up either.

As for who starts... Martial doesn't have the pace or strength or movement in the box that Hojlund has, despite the age. Yeah Martial will get his gametime when fit which is good. Hojlund is barely 20. By the time Martials contract is out, Hojlund might just be ready to be the full time guy. He gives us that threat in behind that only Rashford offers in our squad, he gives us proper #9 movement in the box, he gives us a focal point.
A very good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.