RAWK goes into Meltdown 20/21 Edition

Mindhunter

"Contact" "CONTACT" "CONTACT!"
There's the debate. Why do you think making physical contact warrants a penalty?
Another debate, of course, is regarding the diving.
Penalties can't be always awarded based on the outcome. Granted that the ball was going over either way but Allison didn't know that and hence it didn't influence his actions.

Therefore, he shouldn't be making an infraction in the box when he doesn't know what the outcome would be. If he is coming off the line, he should either get the ball or avoid touching the player else it is a penalty. If not, then you are incentivizing goalkeepers to come out and take strikers down as they please and then claim that the ball was not headed for the goal either way.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Having no fans is hurting them but it's an advantage to United. :houllier:

Cardozo

The shot is a toe-poke because Alisson dives straight towards him. If Barnes leaves his feet of the ground and doesn't jump Alisson might break them. If Alisson doesn't go out Barnes just brings the ball down for an easy 1v1. It's that old discussion as to whether players should need to expose themselves to an injury risk just to get a foul called for them?

I mean, even if there was no contact, Alisson diving straight towards his feet while getting nowhere near the ball impacts his ability to have a proper shot at goal. Barnes is just ensuring that contact is made while not exposing himself to a potential leg breaker (80 kgs of goalkeeper steaming right through the planted legs).
Yeah, I suppose if it was a defender outside the box who clattered him after the ball had gone it's a freekick so there's no argument.

I just think for a keeper he has to make a dive to save in a close 1-on-1 so he's going to likely to make contact with the player after the balls gone and therefore the ball should be reachable for it to be penalty worthy.

I know that's not the law of the game though. Just think it's quite harsh on keepers generally when a player pings it around them and straight out of play and goes down dragging his foot across the out stretched hand.

I couldn't be bothered with VAR then determining if the ball was reachable either so I'll settle for it being a penalty... haha.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

Having no fans his hurting them but it's an advantage to United. :houllier:
I do think it's having a really positive impact on our away games because it used to feel like every single away game the opposition would totally raise their game for us because the fans wanted it so badly.

Anustart89

Yeah, I suppose if it was a defender outside the box who clattered him after the ball had gone it's a freekick so there's no argument.

I just think for a keeper he has to make a dive to save in a close 1-on-1 so he's going to likely to make contact with the player after the balls gone and therefore the ball should be reachable for it to be penalty worthy.

I know that's not the law of the game though. Just think it's quite harsh on keepers generally when a player pings it around them and straight out of play and goes down dragging his foot across the out stretched hand.

I couldn't be bothered with VAR then determining if the ball was reachable either so I'll settle for it being a penalty... haha.
I see what you mean, but the problem is that if keepers are allowed to charge players and force them into taking poor shots without consequence it gives them another advantage on top of barely being allowed to be touched when claiming the ball from the air.

If Alisson doesn't charge out, Barnes doesn't have to try to poke the ball over him and reduce his chances of scoring (we can all agree that had Alisson stayed on his line, that would not have been the finish that Barnes had made). His opportunity at a fair attempt at goal has been impeded by the aggressive rush from the goalkeeper that is nowhere near getting the ball. The attacker is under no obligation to just give the ball to the defender upon being charged, so the onus is on the defender to not tackle in a way that takes him through the opponent if he misses the ball.

UDontMessWith24

Your assessment of my assessments is wrong. Clearly you're an Accrington Stanley Ladies reserves fan.
Do you think penalties should be given for contact?
Do you think players should hit the deck deliberately?
What is your assessment of the numerous penalties Salah has “drawn”?

Cardozo

I see what you mean, but the problem is that if keepers are allowed to charge players and force them into taking poor shots without consequence it gives them another advantage on top of barely being allowed to be touched when claiming the ball from the air.

If Alisson doesn't charge out, Barnes doesn't have to try to poke the ball over him and reduce his chances of scoring (we can all agree that had Alisson stayed on his line, that would not have been the finish that Barnes had made). His opportunity at a fair attempt at goal has been impeded by the aggressive rush from the goalkeeper that is nowhere near getting the ball. The attacker is under no obligation to just give the ball to the defender upon being charged, so the onus is on the defender to not tackle in a way that takes him through the opponent if he misses the ball.
Okay, you've convinced me. :D

Member 90887

I do think it's having a really positive impact on our away games because it used to feel like every single away game the opposition would totally raise their game for us because the fans wanted it so badly.
But that's the same for everyone ? for every big team ? there's no proof whatsover of any of this.

hubbuh

Fergie has Mike Riley on board.

These are going to be tough to shift but we have to go back to mentality monsters to do it.
Uh-oh, Liverpool are taking on their final form... it's the dreaded.. MENTALITY MONSTERS!!!!!

I also fecking love how Fergie is still pulling the strings in their heads like the wicked and godly puppet master he obviously is.

city-puma

Having no fans is hurting them but it's an advantage to United. :houllier:
It only means that without people encouraging them, they cannot do their best. It’s like anyone in real world life, if no one encourages the guy, he will give up on himself or do things mediocre. :confused:

brian017

How funny if we get to celebrate #21 before they get to celebrate #19 :lol:

Last edited:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Wow the last few pages. Good times. This reads exactly like it did when we were winning big trophies regularly.
The part with Klopp missing his family is priceless. After all no other manager has their family abroad.

T_Model101

We need Johnno White sympathising with them while slagging off Ole to have peak RAWK.
Ah Johnno...…..was it ever explained why a former Busby loving Top Red is so active on a Liverpool forum?
Did he just grow to love the ball constantly being passed back and picked up by Grobelaar in the 80's or something?

Chief123

Indeed it was given, but whether it should have been given is debatable. Beyond doubt though, is the dive.
There was absolutely nothing debateable about the penalty! The keeper caught the attacker without touching the ball. Clear penalty. What is there to debate? :lol: