RAWK Goes Into Meltdown (2012/2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

x42bn6

Lucas is apparently beter then Khedira.
Lucas has gradually gone from one of the more underrated players in Liverpool's squad, to their most consistent midfielder, to their best midfielder, to Liverpool's missing link to Premier League glory, to one of the best midfielders in the world.

The last three steps have happened during his injury.

As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder...

Bear Attack

One can argue that many of us here have made similar claims about a certain Tom Cleverley and United.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Nonsense. People here are excited about Cleverley and many predict great things for the lad, but that's not the same as saying he's a world beater now.

Revan

Assumptionman
Lucas has gradually gone from one of the more underrated players in Liverpool's squad, to their most consistent midfielder, to their best midfielder, to Liverpool's missing link to Premier League glory, to one of the best midfielders in the world.

The last three steps have happened during his injury.
As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder...
Saying that he's one of the best midfielders in the world is mental, but on the other side there are many here who say that Carrick is one of the best in the world too. Carrick and Lucas IMO are very similar players with Carrick better but Lucas can become as good as him. At the moment when Lucas wasn't injured he was one of the best midfielders in the Premier League.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
On another forum a couple of weeks ago there was a thread discussing how many Liverpool players would make Spain's team, and a couple of people said that it would be a tough choice between Lucas and Busquets. TBF they were laughed at.

Revan

Assumptionman
On another forum a couple of weeks ago there was a thread discussing how many Liverpool players would make Spain's team, and a couple of people said that it would be a tough choice between Lucas and Busquets. TBF they were laughed at.
They had so many bad players during the last few years so if they have a player which is opne of the best in the league they think that he's the best in the world, if they have a decent player they think that he's one of the best in the league.

I had the same debate with my room-mate who is a LFC fan and he said that Lucas is at-least as good as Busquets which is obvioulsy mental. I argued with him that he's not evern near Busquet's level and is not even as good as Carrick. He continued to say that three of them are at a similar level :lol:.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Saying that he's one of the best midfielders in the world is mental, but on the other side there are many here who say that Carrick is one of the best in the world too. Carrick and Lucas IMO are very similar players with Carrick better but Lucas can become as good as him. At the moment when Lucas wasn't injured he was one of the best midfielders in the Premier League.
Lucas is far more comparable to Darren Fletcher, both in terms of style and how their relationship with fans has developed.

Bear Attack

Nonsense. People here are excited about Cleverley and many predict great things for the lad, but that's not the same as saying he's a world beater now.

Well, you are right. People weren't exactly branding him as world class then but he was hailed as our missing link and midfield Messiah; comments of which were made when he was injured and we needed much inspiration in the middle of the park.

The absence makes the heart grow fond comment is very apt with regard to Cleverley then and there.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
They haven't even kicked off pre-season yet, but some RAWKites are already beginning to turn against Rogers for daring to imply that Caroll might be surplus to requirements.

x42bn6

One can argue that many of us here have made similar claims about a certain Tom Cleverley and United.
Nobody has gone and compared him to Khedira's ability (right now). Nobody has put him on the level of Mascherano.

We've just been guilty of getting over-excited about how good Cleverley could be.

On the other hand, Lucas has been elevated to legendary status without having kicked a ball in a year, because he's better than Charlie Adam and Jordan Henderson.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
That couldn't be more wrong. Carrick has more attacking creativity in left nut than Lucas.

Lucas basically plays as a 3rd CB running around his defensive zone hacking people. He's a fouling machine - he racked up 5 yellows in the first 5 games and was promptly suspended. He doesn't play any attacking passes, only distributing passes. He does his job well and it's the reason he's 'grown' to be something special in their eyes.

But you look at his transition. Alonso leaves and he's played advanced in a distribution role. Sucked balls at that. Mascherano leaves and he's dropped even more deep to play that role and to be honest wasn't all that great at recycling the ball. He's now dropped EVEN deeper to not play nearly any attacking passes in their own half. He's basically a footballing defensive midfielder equivalent of Pete Burns. There's really no place for someone that technically limited in the modern game.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Interesting someone linked on FB an opus on why Liverpool's forwards should be scoring 20+ goals this season.

When you go back through their archives only 1 player has scored over 20 league goals since 1995. :lol: Deleted my comment.. typical :rolleyes:

lysglimt

Scout
They haven't even kicked off pre-season yet, but some RAWKites are already beginning to turn against Rogers for daring to imply that Caroll might be surplus to requirements.
Carroll will never be a really good player - he is too basic for that, but used in the proper way, he can be very dangerous. And I thought he showed enough in the last 2 months of the season to at least be given a chance.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Carroll will never be a really good player - he is too basic for that, but used in the proper way, he can be very dangerous. And I thought he showed enough in the last 2 months of the season to at least be given a chance.
Is a steaming turd on your coffee table that is slightly developing a crust and going white worthy of being called decoration though? Sure the smell is gone and it's turning a different colour but it is still a lump of shite.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I feel sorry for Carroll. Its already difficult for a player like him (decent but not great) to be able to make the step up from a decent club to a big club. Having to do it with a 35m tag around his neck is close to impossible. Things get worse when one consider that top quality sides are shifting away from the 'hit the big striker's head' tactic to a more technical game, based on ball to feet and one touch football.

King Kenny old (dare to say obsolete) way of management + Liverpool's naivety in paying over the odds for him proved a big mistake. He's basically Bebe's signing on a massive scale.

Revan

Assumptionman
Lucas is far more comparable to Darren Fletcher, both in terms of style and how their relationship with fans has developed.
In relationship to the fans yes, but in terms of style I think that he has more similarities with Carrick. Both are defensive midfielders who try to dictate the game and are good at keeping the ball. Also they make many short passes but they're not that good of creating chances. Fletcher was more like a box to box midfielder with a lot of energy, but not that good technically although he scored some screamers.

Decotron

I think Lucas is more of a box to box player personally. He was asked to fill the defensive role which isnt his natural game.

His technique is better than people think as well. To say he plays basically "as a 3rd centre half" is a bit mental in my eyes.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
This is how Liverpool journo Tony Evans defends the Aquilani signing.

Tony Evans: Aquilani wasn't bought to play, he was bought because he was injured and cheap and Rafa saw a hefty sell-on value.
Most retarded thing ever. Surely even Rafa wasn't that stupid.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
also.

hes pretty handy to have against the teams who like the long ball. usually clears everything. much rather him clearing a high ball than reina.
That makes sense, just stick him in goal.

It's like playing a kick about with your mates as a kid, the shit guy always got lumped in goal.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Was that from the web chat?
It was.

Comment From JDubs
Does Aquilani have a future with Rodgers at Liverpool? Surely he is the type of player that could flourish in a Rodgers Tika Taka midfield

Tony Evans:
This always comes up JDubs, but the basic problem is that Aquilani is not physically equipped to play in the PL. He wasn't bought to play, he was bought because he was injured and cheap and Rafa saw a hefty sell-on value. It was a manic decision brought on by crazy times. I can't see him in a pressing midfield
Ridiculous.

He also said that we needed to sell Nani. Whether he meant because he won't sign a contract extension, I don't know.
Yeah, I noticed that too but from everything I've read Nani is open to signing a contract extension. Here's the relevant bits of the webchat. I don't think anything can really be read into that.

Comment From Jason
Anyway, yes it's an interesting point you make about Man Utd's transfer strategy this summer....hard to make sense of.

Tony Evans:
They need to ship out Nani, Jason. They might have a good go at RVP, too

Comment From bobby
hi tony was wondering whether you believe man utd wilmake any further signings this summer. all seems a bit stale at united at the moment with IPO's being discussed, a lack of transfer activity (despite powell and kagawa) and the departure of the great Park Ji sung... where do you see United being in the leahue come the end of next season and what is your opinion of Kagawa?

Tony Evans:
They'll spend money, Bobby. It could be a lot if they shift Nani out. Think Kawanga will be a real threat

Comment From Steffan Trousers
with welbeck and Hernandez rotating up top with Wazza, where does Kagawa fit in with Valencia, Young, Nani and the occasional outing for Giggsy?

Tony Evans:
Nani is unlikely to be there, Steffan. Less Giggs and more Young than Valencia. But United need someone at the base of the midfield

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Young to be more prominent than Valencia? Nani to go? Aquilani bought for his resell value?

The man is a fecking idiot.

Considering that Liverpool have twice set a transfer fee at the end of a loan for Aquilani far below what they paid for him, which in both cases was spectacularly not met by the clubs he was loaned to who both haggled for a bit and moved on, the idea that he was bought for resell value is actually one of the stupidest things I've ever had the misfortune of hearing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Tony Evans is actually one of the better Scouse journalist. He clearly meant that we'll sell Nani if we can't get him to sign a contract extension which I think we all know.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Always been dubious of Tony Evans football knowledge, when 2 seasons ago he was on the radio arguing that Man City would not finish in the top 8 :houllier: He is the leader of the Liverpool mafia at the Times. About half the football journalists at that paper support Liverpool.

NoLogo

The problem is a player like Carroll doesn't fit Rodgers playing style at all and I can't see him getting much playing time in system that relies on short passes and agile, technically able players.

Suarez might thrive in such a system but Carroll will probably look even worse in such a tactical system then he looked over long periods of the last season.

RedCanuck

This is how Liverpool journo Tony Evans defends the Aquilani signing.

Tony Evans: Aquilani wasn't bought to play, he was bought because he was injured and cheap and Rafa saw a hefty sell-on value
Most retarded thing ever. Surely even Rafa wasn't that stupid.
Let the revisionism continue!
From ESPN:

The Italy international had developed a reputation for injuries after making only 35 appearances for Roma in the previous two years, and he arrived at Anfield nursing an ankle injury. "We have to wait for a month for him to be fit, but he is a player we are signing for five years, not for five matches," Benitez explained.
I also remember hearing Benitez say Aquilani would have been worth 30-million if he hadn't been injured.

Plan M

Too many quotes from journos and other sources in here for my liking.

This is RAWK Goes Into Meltdown, not The Liverpool Echo prints a load of bollocks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.