Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Don’t think he will though. He’s unpredictable but when it comes to managerial appointments, I genuinely struggle to recollect him appointing an external manager who’s coming off the back of as monumental a failure as Jose’s.
Queiroz? But I remember it was a summer where Madrid struggled to appoint a manager and Queiroz was like the 10th option on the list.

Patrick08

You're talking as if it easy to do it. The transition period can be as ruthless as the situation they are in now. It is not that easy to get a new competent manager then replace 4 or 6 key members of the team and become automatically competitive. They are risking to go in a similar period like between 2004-2010 and things are differents as it's more difficult to get top players now than it was back then. Good luck to them.
Not that difficult through except striker and right winger. They ain't stagnant like us. Hazard is running the contract down for them, Erikson could be another one. They would surely have cash to burn on a top tier CB as well and could rival us for koulibaly or de ligt. Have already replaced a goal keeper for cheap.

Last edited:

LoveFootball

Not that difficult through except striker left winger. They ain't stagnant like us. Hazard is running the contract down for them, Erikson could be another one. They would surely have cash to burn on a top tier CB as well and could rival us for koulibaly or de ligt. Have already replaced a goal keeper for cheap.
Everyone thought Sanchez would come here and be our talisman player, we thought Mourinho would win us big trophies, Chelsea brought Morata to be their main striker for the next decade, Pogba and Martial were supposed to be BO contender by now, Juve paid 100M for Huguain and he was swapped with Bonucci, ....

Nothing is certain in football. It's not an exact science. We should know better about this as we experienced it more than anyone else with every summer been labeled as perfect or great.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Don’t think he will though. He’s unpredictable but when it comes to managerial appointments, I genuinely struggle to recollect him appointing an external manager who’s coming off the back of as monumental a failure as Jose’s.
Rafa Benitez comes close

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Just seen Bale and Benzema have only 11 goals together in league.

People thought Ronaldo prevented the rest to perform but it looks the opposite for me. Bale and Benzema are getting exposed to their true level now there's no Ronaldo to cover for their arses.
Imo are three players who were supposed to take a step forward this season and they haven't: Isco, Bale and Asensio.

But the worrying part is not that they haven't covered Ronaldo's absence, which was to be expected. The worrying part is they have performed way below their own standards.

Had Asensio and Isco played according to their quality in no world they would be substitutes and Lucas Vazquez would be a starter.

Isco, in particular, looks like a former player now. His run trying to chase Real Sociedad's striker in the last minute of the game wouldn't look out of place alongside Benny Hill's tune.

And what to say about Lucas Vazquez? He just doesn't have the quality to be a starter at Real Madrid. I cannot think of a single Real Madrid side where he would be starter in the last 70 years. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

fallengt

It shows what an average manager Zidane is doesn't it?..........
Zidane's finished with 76 points in his last season, 17 points behind Barcelona.
Whatever problems Madrid had last season, they're showing it again now.

Without Ronaldo Zidane definitely would struggle as well..

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Zidane's finished with 76 points in his last season, 17 points behind Barcelona.

Vibrations are very different though.

The performance in the league was bad last season and after the first games the lack of motivation was evident, but everything was mixed up with some very good performances, like 5 0 vs Sevilla, the win vs PSG in Paris, etc. It was inconsistent but it had moments of sheer brilliance, and you could sense it was a matter of having the capacity but not having the will in the league.

But this time it seems both of them are missing. Real Madrid would not be able to beat Sevilla 5 0 now, and defeats at home vs minor teams are plausible.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And many people share your opinion(I partially), that the club have deliberately self-destroyed but it is also true that you are quite installed in the idea that Madrid have money to spare.
Odriozola, Lunin, Odegaard, Vinicius, Rodrygo, Ceballos, Theo, Vallejo and Brahim for about 200 million.
The team had to be reinforced with elite players but 80/100 m€ suppose an excessive effort and more if the price is inflated.
But that is a lot of money spent on transfers the last 2 years. And we know for a fact that we offered €180m to Monaco for Mbappé. What held us back wasn't a lack of money, it was the unwillingness from moving on from the team that delivered the best season in 50 years. We didn't get Mbappé because we weren't willing to pay him what he wanted and make space for him in the side by selling Bale. We're signing all these kids instead of more established players because we refused to move on from Modric, Kroos, Benzema, Isco, etc. What's the point of signing, say Hazard, at a record fee, when we already have Isco and Asensio?

The problem is that Modric, Kroos, Isco, etc, haven't performed at their level for a year and a half.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
It used to be Madrid could just go buy the next lot of Galacticos.

Those days are gone, even Madrid dont have the kind of money it would cost to go purchase Hazard, Eriksen, Kane.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I would still take Modric. Even though I doubt he'd start many games, what a player to have in the squad.

MrPooni

It shows what an average manager Zidane is doesn't it?..........
'It's easy to win with those players, anyone could do it'
"I've watched madrid very closely, anybody could win when you have a midfield trio of Modric, Kroos and Casemiro and Ronaldo upfront. Zidane is an average manager who lucked out for 3 CL's in a row"

Kinda insane that only 6 months back people on this very forum were in unison that Zidane had nothing to do with Madrid's success and was carried by the team. now that he has left, the midfield trio is suddenly "nothing special"and Ramos is a poor man's rambo
I'm afraid there's a huge, gaping Ronaldo shaped hole in this argument but please feel free to keep pretending Zidane was some kind of magical managerial phenom if it helps you sleep at night.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
But that is a lot of money spent on transfers the last 2 years. And we know for a fact that we offered €180m to Monaco for Mbappé. What held us back wasn't a lack of money, it was the unwillingness from moving on from the team that delivered the best season in 50 years. We didn't get Mbappé because we weren't willing to pay him what he wanted and make space for him in the side by selling Bale. We're signing all these kids instead of more established players because we refused to move on from Modric, Kroos, Benzema, Isco, etc. What's the point of signing, say Hazard, at a record fee, when we already have Isco and Asensio?

The problem is that Modric, Kroos, Isco, etc, haven't performed at their level for a year and a half.
and I don't think they will perform again at their level,at least as a unit.
I agree with what @#07 said about the club demanding everything at the same time.
In this case on the one hand they seem very conservative, defending the group and on the other constantly promoting the young people.
I think they are looking forward to a coach to sit them, being able to defend it with results

JMack1234

I'm afraid there's a huge, gaping Ronaldo shaped hole in this argument but please feel free to keep pretending Zidane was some kind of magical managerial phenom if it helps you sleep at night.
:lol::lol::lol: Helps me sleep at night...

cheeky_backheel

And wants him to work with all the youth talents they just signed :lol:. I don't think so.

I think a serious fight for pochh is on.
Seems you dont know Perez well enough - he simply doesnt do the long term planning, slow building stuff and prefers going for the TKO in the early rounds.

The only reason Perez would be interested in Poch is for PR - Poch does not fit Perez philosophy at all and wont be able to handle the pressure and dynamics at Madrid.

Poch would be stupid to take the Madrid job cos the white hanky will come out for him within 3 seasons even though the problem would be caused by Perez mismanaging the squad

el3mel

Madrid last season were dogshite in every competition under Zidane as well except in CL. CL aside and look at their form in league and cup and it was terrible. They were also terrible in CL group stage, you can't say this decline wasn't coming unless you never followed them except in CL so yeah imo Ronaldo leaving is a bigger impact than Zidane leaving.

They simply lost what was covering for their arses with 45 goals a season, which exposed the real form of their other attackers.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Madrid last season were dogshite in every competition under Zidane as well except in CL. CL aside and look at their form in league and cup and it was terrible. They were also terrible in CL group stage, you can't say this decline wasn't coming unless you never followed them except in CL so yeah imo Ronaldo leaving is a bigger impact than Zidane leaving.

They simply lost what was covering for their arses with 45 goals a season, which exposed the real form of their other attackers.
Ronaldo did well to get them there, but he also failed in La Liga (first half) and had zero impact in the later stages of the CL.

Zidane made players like Benzema, Bale, Asensio, Vazquez work in the CL and now they are looking like nobodies

Also several players fell in a post-WC slump (Varane, Marcelo, Modric, Ramos, Kroos), which is not unusual. Lots of great players have the same example (Ronaldinho, Schweinsteiger, Cannavaro, Hummels etc etc)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Duh. That said, clearly the biggest impact of all is that the team as a whole just isn't very good anymore. Afterall, we were dogshite last season too, with Cristiano and Zidane. Really, we just got worse

el3mel

Ronaldo did well to get them there, but he also failed in La Liga (first half) and had zero impact in the later stages of the CL.

Zidane made players like Benzema, Bale, Asensio, Vazquez work in the CL and now they are looking like nobodies

Also several players fell in a post-WC slump (Varane, Marcelo, Modric, Ramos, Kroos), which is not unusual. Lots of great players have the same example (Ronaldinho, Schweinsteiger, Cannavaro, Hummels etc etc)
That's the point of difference here. You think Zidane made them look better than what they were but imo Ronaldo was the one covering for these players arses with his goals record. Matter of opinions I guess. I think both leaving had impact but Ronaldo one was bigger imo.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It used to be Madrid could just go buy the next lot of Galacticos.

Those days are gone, even Madrid dont have the kind of money it would cost to go purchase Hazard, Eriksen, Kane.

Well I think they do. Madrid have been saving money for ages. What I think, though, is that they will purchase Hazard and Eriksen but not Kane.

Imo Florentino has clearly chosen to remain inactive in 2018 because of two reasons:

- He trusted Bale, Asensio and co. to take a step forward.

- 2019 is a far better year to spend big on players and see what the squad needs for the long term.

Hazard and Eriksen would be in their last year of their contracts. That alone reduces the price enormously. You just have to see that Madrid themselves signed Courtois for 35 m euros when the market was asking 80 m for Kepa or Allison, in spite of Courtois being more proven than both Allison and Kepa.

I think both Hazard and Eriksen would cost less than 120 m euros combined. And I say that amount because Hazard is a really good player and because of the Levy factor. But one year left is a huge pressure for the selling club.

Kane is a great striker, but English players are famous for being inconsistent out of the Premier, and his price would be excessive for a player who is not a global icon as Ronaldo or Neymar. If Florentino chose another player that would be a Neymar kind of guy, or Mbappe, but only if they have secret clauses in their contracts, which I fear they do.

So imo, the steps will be:

- Hazard and Eriksen for very good prices.

- A Galactico (I hate this word but people can understand it better) for a huge amount.

- A few quality young signings for reduced fees ala Odriozola or Ceballos.

- Some experienced very veteran player ala Lewandowski.

To partly finance those signings Madrid can sell players like Bale, Modric or Benzema.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
That's the point of difference here. You think Zidane made them look better than what they were but imo Ronaldo was the one covering for these players arses with his goals record. Matter of opinions I guess. I think both leaving had impact but Ronaldo one was bigger imo.
Ronaldo leaving has had a big impact, but people are also forgetting that every year that passes players are one year older and way less motivated.

Modric is the epitome of that situation. 4 CLs, a brilliant World Cup run with Croatia, WC MVP, The Best Award..

He's probably thinking of getting his latest huge contract at Inter now more than anything.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
With the signings I mentioned, which are plausible, except for the Galactico name, Madrid would have a squad like this:

- World class players who are not too veteran: Varane, Courtois, Eriksen, Kroos, Hazard, Casemiro, Carvajal, Isco and possibly a Galactico.

- Veteran world class players: Marcelo, Ramos, (striker = Lewadowski or Benzema?).

- Young quality players: Asensio, Odriozola, Ceballos, Brahim, Vinicius, Rodrygo, possibly Achraf getting back from Borussia Dortmund.

- Rest of squad players: Lucas Vazquez, Nacho, Llorente, Valverde...

The two main keys are the strikers and one position in midfield (Modric) needing substitutes. With those changes the rest of signings are easier to sort out.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal

The team has definitely aged and declined and even if Zidane had stayed they wouldn't be great and that's why he left. But it's not, I think, because he didn't want to face the challenge of a transition to a new team but because he knew there was no appetite for a transition from those in charge. Complacency had set in and there was nothing he could do to change that.

All supposition, of course, but I think it makes sense.

ColvaleGoa

Will they try to sign Pogba for their Galactico Quota?

Don't see any other Galactico with a higher profile except Ronaldo:confused:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Will they try to sign Pogba for their Galactico Quota?

Don't see any other Galactico with a higher profile except Ronaldo:confused:
Dybala, Hazard, Icardi... They need attackers, not central midfielders.

@GatoLoco Lewandowski is going nowhere, he accepted that he will stay at Bayern and will not force his way out. And if he would, it would only be for absurd prices like 80m because he still has a contract until 2021.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Dybala, Hazard, Icardi... They need attackers, not central midfielders.

@GatoLoco Lewandowski is going nowhere, he accepted that he will stay at Bayern and will not force his way out. And if he would, it would only be for absurd prices like 80m because he still has a contract until 2021.
Yes, you are right.

Only a very high fee would make that possible, and all things considered I think Florentino would prefer other options in attack, like keeping Benzema and adding Hazard and one Galactico upfront.

It's just that at times some clubs prefer to make money for veteran players who have been many years there and agree a reduced fee so it can benefit all the parties. Supposed a young quality substitute is ready to be signed (Timo Werner?).

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Real need another summer like 2009, the problem is I don’t really see the same level of quality being available. They could sign Hazard, but he’s the best they’re going to get and nowhere near the level they’re used to.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
They play League Cup tonight against Leganes. Do they want to win it, team news, injuries, suspensions, atmosphere, expected team for tonight, very good odds on Leganes. @giorno @carvajal @GatoLoco
Leganes beat Real Madrid in Copa last season, and I think Madrid are worse now. Copa is also a competition Madrid don't take too seriously traditionally, at least in the most modern era.

But I think Solari is aware of this. He's also aware that a team formed by bench warmers might be highly uncompetitive (see 0-3 defeat vs CSKA at home), so I'm not completely sure on what his choice will be. The players are also aware of their last bad results and I don't think they will want to lose.

Leganes are not a good team, but they are good enough to make life hard for this Madrid side.

Keylor Navas will start instead of Courtois. Marcelo, Kroos, Bale and Asensio are missing. Benzema, Lucas Vazquez and Vinicius will start again.

Vinicius had a very good game vs Real Sociedad.

I expect a team with a mix of veteran and young players.

Players that got called up:

GKs: Keylor Navas, Casilla y Luca.
Defenders: Carvajal, Vallejo, Ramos, Nacho, Odriozola, Reguilón.
Midfielders: Modric, Casemiro, Valverde, Isco, Ceballos, Brahim.
Strikers: Benzema, Lucas Vázquez, Vinicius Jr., Cristo.

cyberman

They could very well sign Hazard and Eriksen this summer.
Tbeu badly need a number 9 and a player for the right hand side.
Shows how big the task is, it really is 6/7 players that's needed

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Madrid can’t compete in the market the same way they used to. This will again be evident in the summer.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Inda already starts talking about coaches. It's too early and maybe it's to observe reactions but:
"Massimiliano Allegri is the coach he(Florentino)wanted last summer and who wants next summer. He is a coach with whom he spoke personally last summer and called him on the phone. Since then, Florentino Pérez can't take Allegri out of his head"
Pochettino "is considered impossible because Levy does not release him and has a super contract."
He also talks about Madrid-Alegri,Juve-Zidane.
https://okdiario.com/deportes/real-...ferido-cupula-del-real-madrid-allegri-3513204