Realistic Summer 2017: Ins & Outs

Oaencha

Crazy the actual amount of young talent out there that can be targeted.

Where does the caf rate the following in order of desirability, obtainability and instant impact?

• Mbappe
  • Ousmane Dembele
  • Douglas Costa
  • Fabinho
  • Lukaku
  • Greizmann
IMO

Desirability

1 Mbappe
2 Dembele
3 Griezmann
4 Lukaku
5 Douglas Costa
6 Fabinho

Obtainability

1 Fabinho
2 Lukaku
3 Griezmann
4 Douglas Costa
5 Mbappe
6 Dembele

Instant Impact

1 Lukaku
2 Griezmann
3 Fabinho
4 Douglas Costa
5 Dembele
6 Mbappe

Philadelphian

I would say we will sign about three players.
I think you're crazy to think that Jose Mourinho, at the richest club in the world, stuck at 6th in the table most of the season, and losing significant sponsorship revenue if he can't make top 4, won't enter this summer's market very aggressively.

That doesn't even take into account the obvious areas of the team where we lack depth and balance that 3 new players simply cannot cover.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Dunno about starting XI signings because you can go in a lot of different ways in several positions, but I hope we're keeping tabs on some top talents and are actively working towards signing them in the summer or over the following seasons. José doesn't have a stupendous record of promoting those type of players - that's a fair argument, but even if you hit on 1 or 2 out of several, you end up developing a player who's used to your system and save a lot of money. Like when Atlético signed Giménez for less than €1 million (he now has a €65m release clause), or when Madrid signed the duo of Asensio and Vallejo for just ~9 million - they could both become integral players with Vallejo even emerging as a successor to Ramos - that could prove to be an astute investment.

Off the top of my head, we should looking at players like Kai Havertz - who was busy with exams for Leverkusen vs Atlético :lol: and is a really good midfield talent, or Alessandro Bastoni - who's Italy U-18 captain and a potentially top centerback prospect in the vein of Rugani or Caldara. If you wait too long for players like that, a lot of times their value explodes - like Saúl's clause going from sub-€10 million when he was a Spain U-19 player to a current high of €80 million.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
With the BFG leaving and Carrick leaving(probably) too, I think there's a big chance that we might be go for Barkley or Ox, considering both of them will have one year left for contract and both are refusing to sign a new one.

IIRC Jose asked for Ox when Cech went to arsenal.

Havak

Pokemon master
I've been thinking about this a lot for the past couple of days for some reason, and the list of players who could theoretically leave is quite high. Obviously, I don't expect us to have a major clear-out, as this very rarely happens even when you have a lot of players most would consider 'average'. Normally even in a busy Summer, you'd only lose 4-6 players at the most who were considered part of the 23-man squad (roughly). Here's who I think is in danger of being given the boot, or in some cases, who we're in danger of losing (you can probably add any of the CB's bar Bailly to this list as well, if we sign another one):

Matteo Darmian
David de Gea
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Anthony Martial
Wayne Rooney
Bastian Schweinsteiger*
James Wilson
Ashley Young

Basti has already gone, and obviously Memphis/Schneiderlin left already as well which starts to make a potential big list. I think Darmian will be surplus to requirements along with Wilson who is too injury prone. I have grown to like Ashley Young more lately, but I think his wages are still too big to warrant to the role he is playing for us. Rooney will likely go to Everton, but I think he may be tempted to try and fight for a place if we're in the Champions League (which is probably why he hasn't made a decision already).

Now, with those out of the way (losing roughly six squad players and a youngster or two in half a year), we move onto the big questions. Will Zlatan stay another season? Champions League may be a factor here, as he might want one more season in it before he decides it's time to settle for something a bit more 'small time' in comparison to his previous clubs. If Dave wants to go to Spain he will, and I don't think anyone will blame him. Up until now, he has probably been too good for us if I'm honest. We're lucky we kept him through the LvG years. Martial is a tough one, but it is guaranteed we sign a forward of some distinction and there will be a lot of competition across that front three. It seems like Martial wants to be the main striker of a team, or at least guaranteed to start as one of a front two or three every game, which is hard for anyone in our squad.

I think Griezmann is coming regardless of if we lose Zlatan/Martial, he'll be more of a replacement for Rooney (but actually start every week). Other than that, I can't see who else we will get... If Jose trusts Shaw / Fosu-Mensah to play full back then he might resist buying one. Again at CB, if he doesn't sell one of Jones/Rojo/Smalling, I don't think we'll sign one. Central Midfield is guaranteed to have a major signing, though. If we lost both Zlatan and Martial, then I could see us paying out for Lukaku as well, but I do see him as a major target for Chelsea - buying back players you sold seems to be a thing these days.

MadMike

With the BFG leaving and Carrick leaving(probably) too, I think there's a big chance that we might be go for Barkley or Ox, considering both of them will have one year left for contract and both are refusing to sign a new one.

Basti never played though, so he doesn't really need replacing. His place will be taken by Pereira who's coming back from his loan. Carrick will be replaced by a capable DM. Only if Fellaini is also sold would it make sense to move for Ox/Barkley.

However neither of them would be starters as their potential positions in the team (Creative CM/AM/RW) are taken by Pogba and Mkhitaryan who are both better. Not even Mata is a guaranteed starter. So if Ox for example is happy to settle for a squad role AND Fellaini goes, then maybe. But let's be honest it doesn't look very likely.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I think you're crazy to think that Jose Mourinho, at the richest club in the world, stuck at 6th in the table most of the season, and losing significant sponsorship revenue if he can't make top 4, won't enter this summer's market very aggressively.

That doesn't even take into account the obvious areas of the team where we lack depth and balance that 3 new players simply cannot cover.
This approach is just more of the same old same old which mainly hasn't worked since Fergie left - spend mega-bucks on many new players, discard those on which mega-bucks was previously spent, rinse and repeat, more squad churn, less continuity.

If you want to rebuild a dynasty, you start by thinking long-term and build piece by piece. This means signing no players aged over 26, no quick-fix big changes, no signing of big-names without a solid idea of how they will fit into the kind of team you want to build, and a greater emphasis on youth development. It also means - IMO - building from the back, starting with (in United's case) a new LB and CB.

Alabaster Codify7

This approach is just more of the same old same old which mainly hasn't worked since Fergie left - spend mega-bucks on many new players, discard those on which mega-bucks was previously spent, rinse and repeat, more squad churn, less continuity.

If you want to rebuild a dynasty, you start by thinking long-term and build piece by piece. This means signing no players aged over 26, no quick-fix big changes, no signing of big-names without a solid idea of how they will fit into the kind of team you want to build, and a greater emphasis on youth development. It also means - IMO - building from the back, starting with (in United's case) a new LB and CB.

I do agree with all of this more or less, apart from the 'continuity' part.

Continuity is only worth pursuing if you have the personnel to 'continue' with. If we want to be challenging for the top honours, we do need to upgrade in several areas. Continuity led us to have players like Anderson hanging about the place for about 4yrs longer than he should have been! I certainly agree with there needing to be a firm plan in place and no more splashing huge fees on superstar names without knowing exactly where they are going to fit in.

MadMike

If you want to rebuild a dynasty, you start by thinking long-term and build piece by piece. This means signing no players aged over 26, no quick-fix big changes, no signing of big-names with no solid idea of how they will fit into the kind of team you want to build, and a greater emphasis on youth development. It also mean - IMO - building from the back, starting with (in United's case) a new LB and CB.
Agree with incremental changes rather than wholesale changes, but disagree on the order of priorities.

I still don't understand how people look at this United team and think the defence is the priority for spending. You could throw £100m at that defence and only get marginal improvement if any at all (just look at City).

We are basically in a situation where we will have lost 3 MFs within 6 months; Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Carrick. Getting a CM/DM is absolute top priority to maintain the squad depth and add quality in the most crucial area of the pitch. We have scored ~15 goals less than our rivals and we have a 35yo striker. Sorting out our attack long term is the second highest priority.

Nothing eclipses the above two priorities, not even getting a LB.

manufanatic

"crazy"
if we get anyone it will be proven Premier league players unless a star is available. Jose wants to win the title he cant wait for players to acclimate to the premier league.

arthurka

Out
Rooney
Darmian
Young
Schweini
1 more

In
Griezmann
Bakayoko
Fabinho
CB
Hopefully another CM

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Agree with incremental changes rather than wholesale changes, but disagree on the order of priorities.

I still don't understand how people look at this United team and think the defence is the priority for spending. You could throw £100m at that defence and only get marginal improvement if any at all (just look at City).

We are basically in a situation where we will have lost 3 MFs within 6 months; Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Carrick. Getting a CM/DM is absolute top priority to maintain the squad depth and add quality in the most crucial area of the pitch. We have scored ~15 goals less than our rivals and we have a 35yo striker. Sorting out our attack long term is the second highest priority.

Nothing eclipses the above two priorities, not even getting a LB.
It may not be the priority, that is true. But that does not mean it does not need addressing either, which it most certainly does. I still think Shaw's future at United is in the balance.

NoPace

Your observation regarding buying from Monaco make sense but at the same time I can't see Mourinho ignore our left back problem. In my opinion we need more quality in our midfield, that's why Fabinho and Keita looks likely in order to have two quality players in veery position.

Valencia/Young
Bailly/Jones
Rojo/Smalling
Mendy/Shaw (or Blind) this is where it gets complicated.

Herrera/Keita
Fabinho/Carrick
Pogba/Fellaini

Greizmann/Mata/Lingard
Zlatan/Rashford
Mhkitaryan/Martial
My prediction is similar except I think it'll be one CM and not 2, since Pogba, New CM and Herrera makes 3 and we'll often play 4-2-3-1 and use Mkhitaryan, Griezmann or Mata as a 10 and Mourinho will annoyingly feel that Fellaini and Carrick is enough midfield cover even though it definitely isn't.

1. Griezmann/Mertens
2. CM
3. LB

and Blind, Rooney and Darmian leave. I could see us signing a CB who can pass to pair with Bailly but I think Mourinho might just be fine with the current options.

Over/under 3.5 first team signings, I'll take the under.

Camilo

I think he'll spend big.

New LB

New RB (love Valencia, and he's a fine defender, but he's utterly useless going forward! Funny how these things work out!)

New midfielder to play with/interchange with Pogba and Herrera. Keeps Fellaini definitely.

A big attacking signing. Maybe Griezmann? (Is he actually all that good?).

And he should buy a new striker.

And he should grab Sanchez if he's available.

And a new CB.

Hmmm... Is that realistic?! 3 out of 4 defenders new?! 3 out of 4 attackers new?! Ok.. Maybe not.

NoPace

I sort of agree. The way Madrid has done things by buying young established stars like Kroos and Bale is the logical way to proceed. But at DM you can buy say, a 28 year old and get 5 years from him.

A perfect summer would look like this:
1. Griezmann (26 yesterday) since he could play as a 9, 10 or RW.
2. A young CM like Verratti, Bakayoko or Fabinho to challenge/rotate with Herrera and Pogba
3. A DM like Weigl to start as the deepest CM
4. A young LB like Rodriguez or Mendy to challenge Shaw
5. A young CB like Laporte, Manolas or Van Dijk

and we'd be nice and set for about 3-4 years apart from needing to replace Valencia at RB in a year or two and Zlatan when he leaves, which is a perfectly reasonable 2018 summer plan. De Gea leaving would require a similar like for like big money buy.

If we can't find the right guy at all 5 spots I do think we could skimp on the CM to rotate with Herrera/Pogba as long as we do get the DM and he's still a solid, clever midfielder who can be an alternative to Fellaini when one of those 2 is out and we want to play 3 proper CMs. I could also see delaying the CB option if Mourinho is fine with Rojo, Smalling or Jones starting next to Bailly, though obviously that presents risks/limited upside.

walkinhop

Does the caf actually rate Ox? I've seen his name mentioned quite a bit and wonder if people think he is obtainable or actually good enough

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Does the caf actually rate Ox? I've seen his name mentioned quite a bit and wonder if people think he is obtainable or actually good enough
Easily obtainable considering he wants to leave, is in his last two years of his contract, and plays for Arsenal.

Good enough to be a good squad option who can get a good number of games playing as an RW or in a three man midfield. He wouldn't be part of our potential "best 11".

Whether that is the kind of role he would want is a different issue.

pilky02

Supports
I could eat a nob at night
IN:
LB - Raphael Guerreiro - I don't think Luke Shaw is that good and I don't see Mourinho keeping him. I expect the player to seek a move.

CM - Fabinho

ATT - Bernando Silva

ST - Belotti/Griezmann

CB - Manolas/Van Dijk

- Bring Pereira back from loan as first team player.

Out:
Bastian (already left for MLS)

Smalling - can't defend for toffee. Ball literally goes through him. Only good at heading the ball. Useless with the ball at his feet or square vs any player.

Darmian - No Comment

Rooney - Career is over time to move on.

Carrick - should stay but his future is up in the air If I was to guess i think he will go.
That would be a perfect transfer window in my eyes. Wouldn't mind O Dembele over Silva though, just for the extra pace.

Cheekiey

if we can't get Griezmann I hope we.go all out for Lukaku and Douglas Costa.

the latter would probably benefit the team alot more than Griezmann, but Griezzy is Griezzy

wolvored

I agree. A minimum of 4 and probably 5-6 will come in. He now knows how poor our squad is compares with the best.

RedMaestro

Don't know what the lineup will look like next season but here's a guess on potential "realistic" signings:

GK: David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Joel Castro Pereira
RB: Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young
CB: Eric Bailly, Marcos Rojo
CB: [Virgil van Dijk], Chris Smalling
LB: [José Luis Gayá], Daley Blind
CM: [Idrissa Gueye], Michael Carrick
CM: Ander Herrera, Marouane Fellaini
CM: Paul Pogba, Andreas Pereira
AM: Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard
CF: [Antoine Griezmann], Anthony Martial
ST: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Marcus Rashford

Squad total: 24 players

Potential sales: Luke Shaw (better to sell him now if he's not in Mourinho's plans), Matteo Darmian (does his job, but I'd think he'll want to play in the first team to get a better chance to play in the WC - Seria A?), Phil Jones (if a new CB is coming, he or Smalling should leave - I like Jones but he's injury-prone), Wayne Rooney (likely to go, maybe wants to fight for a place in the WC - Everton?).

Potential loans: Timothy Fosu-Mensah (if he's not getting a "fair" chance then he needs to get match time or he'll "decline", but if Carrick retires (?) maybe he'll get a chance as a back-up?), Axel Tuanzebe (same as for TFM, should be loaned out).

So; 4 players in, 4 players out and 2 players on loan.

Last edited:
Jose wants only a couple of new signings, and rightly so. We need to settle, and continue extracting the full potential of the players we've got. It's obvious we need a left back and centreman.
If we go with 3 CBs I have something like this:
.................................De Gea.......................
...................Bailly......Blind.....Rojo.................
Valencia..............................................Shaw....
...............................PAREDES......................
.................Herrera...............Pogba................
..................Mkhitaryan................................
..............................Rashford..........................
2nd xi.
...............................Romero............................
...............Jones....FMensah.....Smalling........
Young............................................TIERNEY...
..............................Carrick...............................
................Fellaini...............Lingard.................
........................Mata.........................................
.............................Martial................................
But if Carrick and Zlatan leave we might bring some luxury signings like Griezmann and Keita.
I think Paredes would be good choice, he's hitting his straps again after injury. He appears to be the best all rounder of Roma's midfield.
I want Tierney because he's a quality defender, not just an attacking wing back.

Philadelphian

Without CL I'd say 3. With CL I'd guess 5 incoming.

Without CL:
New CM (Fabinho)
New attacker (Bellotti)
New CB (Van Dijk)

With CL:
Fabinho
Ox
Van Dijk
Griezmann
Strootman

Out (Without CL):
Rooney
Smalling
Ibra
Darmian

Out (with CL):
Rooney
Mata
Smalling
Fellaini
Darmian

AP88

Supports
Man City
Ideally I'd throw £300m at Levy and literally buy Tottenham's first team; their entire first team would be an upgrade barring maybe Valencia,Martial and Mkhitaryan. I'd rather have their coach too...

They've built their team the Ferguson way, with the best British and Northern European talent available to them at reasonable prices and developed them. Fantastic project that's one or two catalystic additions, plus a couple more years of collective maturing of the young squad from becoming a dynasty.

In reality that isn't possible; they have a new stadium, new kit deal and the players all adore the coach. But so too, allegedly, do Barcelona; should they be able to entice him this summer to replace Luis Enrique, then a few of their stars might be gettable.

Eric Dier was immense last season as the midfield anchor, but Wanyama's arrival has seen him revert back into defence, a position in which he becomes mediocre. He fits Jose's physical profile well and is one of the few British players with a Carrick-esque simplicity to his game. Already been press rumours of a £35m move and I think it'd be a shrewd one. He's a Matic-like monster on his day and very young too.

Rose is currently better than Shaw; Luke has a higher ceiling IMO, but Jose clearly doesn't rate/want him so Shaw plus significant amount of cash could tempt them. After all Pocchettino developed him at Southampton and would likely welcome the chance to work with him again. With the new stadium, Levy could be tempted to recycle some cash.

The likes of Kane, Alli and Alderweireld would be perfect, Fergie-era additions, but sadly are almost impossible these days.

Michael Keane is a must for me; solid dependable British centreback and a United lad as well. With Lee O'Connor 3 years away from the first team I wouldn't invest in a young rightback but instead use Jones or Tuanzebe as Valencia's cover; the Irish kid is a once in a generation talent IMO who'll become a United regular for a decade.

Midfield depth is an issue; I'd take Dier, and if it was up to me I'd sell Pogba but it isn't and it won't be happening while Woodward can still market him so the midfield has to be Pogba + 2 for the foreseeable future. Herrera is adequate but runs to hard to maintain his form over a full season without rotation; Gueye from Everton looks quality in that role, but I would also trial Bailly in there while he matures. He's mobile, powerful, likes a tackle and has decent feet; his ceiling in midfield could actually be higher than in defence, given his inability to head or read the game. Lingard would also be a valid option on tbe right of a midfield 3 with a proper anchor behind him.

Up top id let Zlatan go and focus on a more fluid, collective attacking unit that maximises the potential of everyone and not subdue them like Ibra clearly has. Griezmann makes sense in every way, but a target man who brings others into play and offers a plan B is also a necessity.

Fellaini could do that with Martial and Griezmann playing off him, but Mandzukic would be ideal.

De Gea
Valencia-Keane-Rojo-Rose
-----------Dier--------------
Herrera----------Pogba
Mkhitaryan---Griezmann--Martial

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
Ideally I'd throw £300m at Levy and literally buy Tottenham's first team; their entire first team would be an upgrade barring maybe Valencia,Martial and Mkhitaryan. I'd rather have their coach too...

They've built their team the Ferguson way, with the best British and Northern European talent available to them at reasonable prices and developed them. Fantastic project that's one or two catalystic additions, plus a couple more years of collective maturing of the young squad from becoming a dynasty.

In reality that isn't possible; they have a new stadium, new kit deal and the players all adore the coach. But so too, allegedly, do Barcelona; should they be able to entice him this summer to replace Luis Enrique, then a few of their stars might be gettable.

Eric Dier was immense last season as the midfield anchor, but Wanyama's arrival has seen him revert back into defence, a position in which he becomes mediocre. He fits Jose's physical profile well and is one of the few British players with a Carrick-esque simplicity to his game. Already been press rumours of a £35m move and I think it'd be a shrewd one. He's a Matic-like monster on his day and very young too.

Rose is currently better than Shaw; Luke has a higher ceiling IMO, but Jose clearly doesn't rate/want him so Shaw plus significant amount of cash could tempt them. After all Pocchettino developed him at Southampton and would likely welcome the chance to work with him again. With the new stadium, Levy could be tempted to recycle some cash.

The likes of Kane, Alli and Alderweireld would be perfect, Fergie-era additions, but sadly are almost impossible these days.

Michael Keane is a must for me; solid dependable British centreback and a United lad as well. With Lee O'Connor 3 years away from the first team I wouldn't invest in a young rightback but instead use Jones or Tuanzebe as Valencia's cover; the Irish kid is a once in a generation talent IMO who'll become a United regular for a decade.

Midfield depth is an issue; I'd take Dier, and if it was up to me I'd sell Pogba but it isn't and it won't be happening while Woodward can still market him so the midfield has to be Pogba + 2 for the foreseeable future. Herrera is adequate but runs to hard to maintain his form over a full season without rotation; Gueye from Everton looks quality in that role, but I would also trial Bailly in there while he matures. He's mobile, powerful, likes a tackle and has decent feet; his ceiling in midfield could actually be higher than in defence, given his inability to head or read the game. Lingard would also be a valid option on tbe right of a midfield 3 with a proper anchor behind him.

Up top id let Zlatan go and focus on a more fluid, collective attacking unit that maximises the potential of everyone and not subdue them like Ibra clearly has. Griezmann makes sense in every way, but a target man who brings others into play and offers a plan B is also a necessity.

Fellaini could do that with Martial and Griezmann playing off him, but Mandzukic would be ideal.

De Gea
Valencia-Keane-Rojo-Rose
-----------Dier--------------
Herrera----------Pogba
Mkhitaryan---Griezmann--Martial
There is so much bs in this post I don't know where to begin.

I think this will suffice.

:eek::wenger::lol:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Ideally I'd throw £300m at Levy and literally buy Tottenham's first team...
Even if Levy was minded to sell, £300m would maybe get you Kane, Alli, Alderweireld, Walker, Rose and Lloris - that's 6 players. If you also wanted Eriksen, Dier, Wanyama, Lamela (or Son), Dembele and Vertonghen then it'd take a lot more.

To put the craziness of United's prior transfer activities into some perspective, the sum paid for Pogba alone was more than Spurs paid for: Kane, Alli, Dier, Walker, Rose, Alderweireld, Wanyama, Lloris, Eriksen, Vertonghen and Dembele all combined.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Even if Levy was minded to sell, £300m would maybe get you Kane, Alli, Alderweireld, Walker, Rose and Lloris - that's 6 players. If you also wanted Eriksen, Dier, Wanyama, Lamela (or Son), Dembele and Vertonghen then it'd take a lot more.

To put the craziness of United's prior transfer activities into some perspective, the sum paid for Pogba alone was more than Spurs paid for: Kane, Alli, Dier, Walker, Rose, Alderweireld, Wanyama, Lloris, Eriksen, Vertonghen and Dembele all combined.
I'm not saying they would be sold; no player in their right mind would currently leave Spurs for United; it's simply expensive chaos at Old Trafford since Ferguson left, while Spurs have been embracing that Fergie formula to gradually build a dynasty. Only Dier, who's currently in positional limbo, or perhaps Rose could be attained (the latter because I think Pocchettino rates Shaw enough to replace him with if there was also an extra £30m on the table to reinvest elsewhere.

United need to go back to basics if they're to avoid falling into the abyss of dining out on former glory, where Liverpool, Arsenal and AC Milan currently reside.

Bailly in midfield surely tops it. Like the other stuff is unrealistic but Bailly in midfield. That just came out of left field.
He's got all the attributes to play there; he's been a shambles in defence since AFCON, and was in the most part for Villareal as well.

Z_Wolf

1. Semedo
2. Alderwiereld
3. Fabinho
4. Griezmann
5. Sanchez

Those player would take us two notches up.

Mohammed Javed

• Ball playing centre back- Bonnuci a real world class option at the heart of the defence. Much needed with the inexperience of our other defenders. He would make others around him play well. Definitely worth the money considering what he brings.
  • Defensive Midfielder- Weigl/ Paredes either one to take the reins from Carrick. Either one would help Pogba and Herrera reach their potential. The type of players the team is currently lacking.
  • Winger- Douglas Costa Quick player who can beat a man and turn defence into attack. Someone the squad does not currently possess
  • Forward - Dybala/ Griezmann shadow strikers who play just behind the main focal point. Potential world class players.

Red4Life_#7

1. Semedo
2. Alderwiereld
3. Fabinho
4. Griezmann
5. Sanchez

Those player would take us two notches up.
Agreed! But it would cost an arm and a leg :O

I think we need a left back to be honest too. Benjamin Mendy looks like an athlete who would do well in the EPL.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
It is probably not realistic but here is what I would want at this moment:

Incoming:

K.Mbappé
Perisic
A.Griezmann
T.Bakayoko
N.Semedo
V.Van Dijk

CBJ and A.Pereira also to join the team and TFM, Tuanzebe and J.Pereira to remain

Outgoing:
Carrick
Rooney
Ibrahimovic
Young
Darmian
Jones

Januzaj to be loaned out again

It are alot of changes but I think it is a must. We still have a lot of deadwood players who don't achieve the level expected and alot of older players who are end of their career and who either don't achieve the level anymore required or who just don't fit in the type of football we all want to see United play. With the outgoing transfers of Depay, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger that would complete the purge of our selection.

-------------------DDG-------------------------
Semedo-----Bailly----Van Dijk--------Shaw
-----------------Bakayoko--------------------
---Mkhitaryan-----------------Pogba--------
------------------Griezmann-----------------
----------Mbappé-----------Rashford-------

------------------Romero--------------------
Valencia----Smalling-----Rojo---------Blind
-------------------Fellaini--------------------
------Pereira--------------------Herrera-----
--------------------Mata-----------------------
----------Perisic---------Martial--------------

Reserves: J.Pereira, CBJ, Tuanzebe, TFM, Lingard

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I'm not saying they would be sold; no player in their right mind would currently leave Spurs for United; it's simply expensive chaos at Old Trafford since Ferguson left, while Spurs have been embracing that Fergie formula to gradually build a dynasty. Only Dier, who's currently in positional limbo, or perhaps Rose could be attained (the latter because I think Pocchettino rates Shaw enough to replace him with if there was also an extra £30m on the table to reinvest elsewhere.

United need to go back to basics if they're to avoid falling into the abyss of dining out on former glory, where Liverpool, Arsenal and AC Milan currently reside.

He's got all the attributes to play there; he's been a shambles in defence since AFCON, and was in the most part for Villareal as well.
That is simply not true

Pavl3n

This.

We dont need a new CB. And we dont need Douglas Costa either.
On the CB I would agree, but not on D Costa.
He is versatile winger who prefers playing on the right, where we have Mata, sometimes Lingard, rarely Mikhi and relying mostly on Valencia. Now if you combine Mata and Lingard you will get D Costa. We don't have pace and technical ability within the same player who plays on the right.

I agree up to the winger. We need a left winger as we're overstocked on the right
And who are our right attackers? Valencia? Who is playing as a right back. Or Mata? Whose natural position is a #10.

Crazy the actual amount of young talent out there that can be targeted.

Where does the caf rate the following in order of desirability, obtainability and instant impact?

• Mbappe
  • Ousmane Dembele
  • Douglas Costa
  • Fabinho
  • Lukaku
  • Greizmann
These are the players I want to see join Utd.
Desirability for me would be
  • Dembele
  • Greizman
  • Lukaku
  • Fabinho
  • Costa
Obtainable
  • Costa
  • Fabinho
  • Greizman or Lukaku
  • Dembele
And instant impact
  • Dembele
  • Greizman
  • Lukaku
  • Costa
  • Fabinho
Reason I put Fabinho on the bottom of the last list is because he is DM and it takes a couple of months for those players to be appreciated.

End of the line I believe we are desperate for someone like D Costa or Dembele. Someone to light up that right wing. As for now we don't have such player.

Griezman is important. He could also attack from the right and should Mourinho choose he could opt for more fluid attacking trio and choose him over Zlatan.

Fabinho - that's another are which is a must. With Carrick's future in the air, refusal to rely more on TFM, clearing out unneeded players, we need one midfielder.

Lukaku - with the right amount of money he can be obtained. Questions will rise though. What's his relationship with Mourinho. Where does Rashford fit in, if Lukaku arrives. How about Zlatan, should he extend his contract.

diarm

My dream summer mightn't be realistic but it would certainly make me happy!

Let Rooney, Damian, Young and Wilson go.

Then offer Monaco 180-200mil for Mendy, Fabinho and Mbappe. Spend whatever is left of the 200mil on bringing Michael Keane home.

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Keane Mendy
Fabinho
Pogba Mkhitaryan
Rashford Mbappe Martial

Romero, Jones, Rojo, Shaw, Herrera, Mata, Zlatan
Pereira, Smalling, TFM, Blind, Carrick, Fellaini, Lingard​

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We've got so many roles to fill that I doubt we can go in a spending spree.

GK: If DDG leaves then we should go for Donnarumma. He's the new Buffon and with Milan having issues with his contract, we might as well snap him on cheap.

RB: Its time we start thinking of Valencia's successor. We've been linked with Semedo who seem to be quite a good player. Cancelo would be great too

CB: We need a top quality CB to partner Smalling, Bailly and Rojo. Gimenez is quite a great talent and would do very well with us. Bonucci might leave Juventus after he had issues with Allegri. If we're aiming for potential then Allesandro Bastoni could do the trick.

LB: Sessegnon would be a great addition to the team

DM: That's one role we need to fill ASAP. I am a big fan of Kessie at Atalanta. He's strong, technically gifted and has quite a good eye for a goal. Atalanta has another young midfielder whose got the potential to become the new Marchisio. His name is Melegoni, a 6ft something 18 year old whose quite talented. Beckham is one of his favourite players

AMR: We need goals. I am a big fan of Bernardeschi a hardworking right winger, gifted with great technique whose scoring goals for fun. Mahrez stock has gone a bit down lately, so maybe we could go for him. As a reserve we might go for Berardi. The guy is pure quality but had recently been unlucky with injuries. These players would allow Mkhitaryan to move in a more central role or on the left

Stk:Belotti would do great but he'll be expensive. Rather spend 50m+ on him we might as well go for proven EPL quality like Lukaku. Maybe Everton would be interested in a 40m + Rooney bid.

Sell: Jones, Darmian, Fellaini, Young, Rooney
Buy: Semedo, Gimenez, Kessie, Melegoni, Bernardeschi, Lukaku

johanovic

It will be interesting to see who will leave: Rooney,Ibra(hope not),De Gea(hope not)Carrick,Blind,Darmian,Young,Mata,Jones,Januzaj.
I would hope we get Lukaku and Griezman if Ibra is leaving. Weigl at DM and Mendy/Tierney at leftback plus a right winger like Dembele at Dortmund and we would have a great team. Snapping up Pepe on a free for a year or 2 would be good business as well.
De Gea
Valencia - Bailiy-Smalling/Pepe-Shaw/Mendy

Weigl Pogba

Dembele/Miki Griezman Martial
Lukaku

Subs: Romero,Herrera,Rashford,Rojo,Miki,Pepe,Shaw,TFM,Tuanzabe,

AndyJ1985

This.

We dont need a new CB. And we dont need Douglas Costa either.
We don't have any good wingers, and Costa is a good winger, so I'd disagree there.

Smalling and Jones are a calamity, so again I'd disagree with not needing a CB.

If we're being brutally honest about the strength of our squad, there are arguments to be made for needing a player in almost every position.