Realistic Summer 2017: Ins & Outs

wolvored

On the CB I would agree, but not on D Costa.
He is versatile winger who prefers playing on the right, where we have Mata, sometimes Lingard, rarely Mikhi and relying mostly on Valencia. Now if you combine Mata and Lingard you will get D Costa. We don't have pace and technical ability within the same player who plays on the right.

And who are our right attackers? Valencia? Who is playing as a right back. Or Mata? Whose natural position is a #10.

These are the players I want to see join Utd.
Desirability for me would be
  • Dembele
  • Greizman
  • Lukaku
  • Fabinho
  • Costa
Obtainable
  • Costa
  • Fabinho
  • Greizman or Lukaku
  • Dembele
And instant impact
  • Dembele
  • Greizman
  • Lukaku
  • Costa
  • Fabinho
Reason I put Fabinho on the bottom of the last list is because he is DM and it takes a couple of months for those players to be appreciated.

End of the line I believe we are desperate for someone like D Costa or Dembele. Someone to light up that right wing. As for now we don't have such player.

Griezman is important. He could also attack from the right and should Mourinho choose he could opt for more fluid attacking trio and choose him over Zlatan.

Fabinho - that's another are which is a must. With Carrick's future in the air, refusal to rely more on TFM, clearing out unneeded players, we need one midfielder.

Lukaku - with the right amount of money he can be obtained. Questions will rise though. What's his relationship with Mourinho. Where does Rashford fit in, if Lukaku arrives. How about Zlatan, should he extend his contract.
You have lingard miki rashford even young all right footed. Even martial could play there I'm talking a proper winger on the left who can cross with his left foot not a striker who has to cut inside

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
It is probably not realistic but here is what I would want at this moment:

Incoming:

K.Mbappé
Perisic
A.Griezmann
T.Bakayoko
N.Semedo
V.Van Dijk

CBJ and A.Pereira also to join the team and TFM, Tuanzebe and J.Pereira to remain

Outgoing:
Carrick
Rooney
Ibrahimovic
Young
Darmian
Jones

Januzaj to be loaned out again

It are alot of changes but I think it is a must. We still have a lot of deadwood players who don't achieve the level expected and alot of older players who are end of their career and who either don't achieve the level anymore required or who just don't fit in the type of football we all want to see United play. With the outgoing transfers of Depay, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger that would complete the purge of our selection.

-------------------DDG-------------------------
Semedo-----Bailly----Van Dijk--------Shaw
-----------------Bakayoko--------------------
---Mkhitaryan-----------------Pogba--------
------------------Griezmann-----------------
----------Mbappé-----------Rashford-------

------------------Romero--------------------
Valencia----Smalling-----Rojo---------Blind
-------------------Fellaini--------------------
------Pereira--------------------Herrera-----
--------------------Mata-----------------------
----------Perisic---------Martial--------------

Reserves: J.Pereira, CBJ, Tuanzebe, TFM, Lingard
Perisic...so you would spend a 35-40 mil on a 29 year old just to have him as an option from the bench? That's ridiculous and he's not good enough anyway...

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Perisic...so you would spend a 35-40 mil on a 29 year old just to have him as an option from the bench? That's ridiculous and he's not good enough anyway...
I didnt say anything about how much I would spend on any of those players.

If you want to win anything you also need a strong bench.

Also we have Rooney right now as a full on bench player and he is on massive salary that is ridiculous especially as he offers the team nothing anymore. I'd rather use some of that money for someone like Perisic who can offer the team alot.

Saying Perisic is not good enough, he would be much better for us than Rooney, Lingard and Young and seeing how Martial has been playing this season you can include him in that list aswell.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
You can count on one hand the players available to us who will actually make a difference and meet the extremely high standard that we expect of a Man Utd player. Douglas Costa is not one of those players.

Lets say hypothetically if we did sign him. He wouldnt play as those who wanted to buy him to play. Then they suggest another winger to buy next season. Then we buy that winger and he doesnt materialize as planned and then we buy a different winger and on and on the carousel goes.

If posters are criticizing Paul Pogba, who was probably the best MF we could buy, then i can guarantee Douglas Costa is not going to fare too well.

MadMike

Realistic transfer ins/outs, the thread says. Then people go on to list 6-7 players worth upwards of a 1/4 billion combined. :wenger::lol:

Maybe the admins should make a new thread:
Completely unrealistic and downright surreal transfer ins/outs.

.... then copy half the messages from here.

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
I didnt say anything about how much I would spend on any of those players.

If you want to win anything you also need a strong bench.

Also we have Rooney right now as a full on bench player and he is on massive salary that is ridiculous especially as he offers the team nothing anymore. I'd rather use some of that money for someone like Perisic who can offer the team alot.

Saying Perisic is not good enough, he would be much better for us than Rooney, Lingard and Young and seeing how Martial has been playing this season you can include him in that list aswell.
You need strong bench but we never spent 30-40 million on players so we can get our bench stronger. We never will, not with intention to bench that player. Real life isn't Footbal Manager. Especially if they are 29 like Perisic. Also, Rooney situation can't be used as an example at all, he is a club legend that played here for a more than a decade, not some random player we bought and payed a lot to be on the bench. He just aged. And his massive salary I would rather use on someone who can actually contribute in the first team...Perisic (or anyone who would be just a bench player) is not that. Or if you are buying for depth/bench and pay that much then you buy a prospect at 19-23 years old who won't mind being a backup and could develop in the first team player down the line.

Champagne Football

In - Semedo, Giminez or Varane, Kessie or Fabinho or Bakayoko, Greizmann or Peresic or Lemar

Out - Shaw, Smalling, Darmian, Rooney, Blind, Carrick, Mata, Possibly Martial if we were to sign Dembele

Last edited:

The red panther

princess transfer emo
You need strong bench but we never spent 30-40 million on players so we can get our bench stronger. We never will, not with intention to bench that player. Real life isn't Footbal Manager. Especially if they are 29 like Perisic. Also, Rooney situation can't be used as an example at all, he is a club legend that played here for a more than a decade, not some random player we bought and payed a lot to be on the bench. He just aged. And his massive salary I would rather use on someone who can actually contribute in the first team...Perisic (or anyone who would be just a bench player) is not that. Or if you are buying for depth/bench and pay that much then you buy a prospect at 19-23 years old who won't mind being a backup and could develop in the first team player down the line.
Now that is ridiculous because we already have Rashford and Martial and as you could see I would be adding Mbappé to that list. That are 3 extremely young players, you need some more experienced players to balance that out.

Right now we have Rooney and Zlatan. But Rooney just isn't good enough anymore even as a bench player. And Zlatan does not fit into the kind of football I would like to see United play because he is too slow and it is impossible to have him as an option from the bench because Zlatan will always demand to play or he will leave.

That is why I would get rid of Rooney and Zlatan and use the money (we save from their gigantic slaries) to buy an experienced player who would fit well into the type of football we want to play and who would not mind to be put on the bench from time to time to accomdate for our other 3 young strikers who need game time to develop. Also doesn't mean he will be a bench player all the time, you have competition for places and who ever is the best option plays. But we need some alternatives in the team with experience because we cannot have a team full of 20 year olds. And it is crazy to keep giving Rooney 300k per week to sit on the bench when everybody agrees he isn't good enough anymore to even come of that bench. And as explained Zlatan is good but he is slow and will hinder our offence if we keep him as main striker, using him as impact sub just isn't an option either. Perisic makes perfect sense then to me, even more because he is versatile and could be used in many positions and roles and you keep saying he will cost 35-40m, I don't know about that, I just think he would be a good player for us to have and he is gettable but idk for how much money that would be. Maybay he could cost 25m-30m who knows.

I'd also argue that in a world where your top players cost you 100m, it is not so ridiculous that your bench players will start costing you 40m. I mean If I look at what kind of money we spend on players like Shaw, Martial, Herrera, Fellaini who are regular bench players they also cost us that kind of money.

JON.B

Sloop
Considering the size of our squad if the most likely players leave we'll be looking to sign at least 4-5 players, maybe more. So despite what Mourinho and Woodward said it could be a busy summer.

worldinmotion66

In:
Bertrand
Dier
Fabinho
Sessegnon
Perisic
Griezmann

Out:
Shaw
Darmian
Young
Rooney
Mata
Carrick

N.B
>Should Shaw leave, I'd like Bertrand but I'm honestly not sure that Jose would consider him. We may well stick with Shaw.
>Dier may be unrealistic.
>Fabinho would give us excellent cover for Valencia, allowing Darmian to leave and giving us a proper, disciplined and athletic holding midfielder.
>Sessegnon would be a great investment and would probably not see much first team involvement. Loan possibly back to Fulham.
>Perisic seems massively underraterd on here. Exactly the type of winger Mourinho would love.
>I think Griezmann will come, but if we could somehow turn Neymar's head, he would be my preference.
>Ibrahimovic will stay.
>Mata will leave for more football.
>So much depends on what Rooney does.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Realistic transfer ins/outs, the thread says. Then people go on to list 6-7 players worth upwards of a 1/4 billion combined. :wenger::lol:

I agree. This is rawkish type stuff. At most we need three players, maybe four if people leave.

I bet the same time next year, we will have the same thing.

Pavl3n

You have lingard miki rashford even young all right footed. Even martial could play there I'm talking a proper winger on the left who can cross with his left foot not a striker who has to cut inside
From that point of view you have a solid point - we don't have such. But from the players which you mentioned no one is really fitting the description you are referring to - proper winger who can swing in a good cross. Only Young actually, but his natural position is on the left.

It really depends what's the manager's view and how he wants to shape the team. My worry is that besides Mikhi we don't have an explosive, fairly experienced winger. Someone to dribble past defenders and chip in with 10-15 goals a season.
We do have Martial, but he's too inconsistent, mainly because he's still young and developing. We need someone to hit the ground running.
I am sure Mourinho has identified someone, but I truly hope it's not Perisic.

wolvored

From that point of view you have a solid point - we don't have such. But from the players which you mentioned no one is really fitting the description you are referring to - proper winger who can swing in a good cross. Only Young actually, but his natural position is on the left.

It really depends what's the manager's view and how he wants to shape the team. My worry is that besides Mikhi we don't have an explosive, fairly experienced winger. Someone to dribble past defenders and chip in with 10-15 goals a season.
We do have Martial, but he's too inconsistent, mainly because he's still young and developing. We need someone to hit the ground running.
Thats what I meant about a left footed proper winger. All the players who play on the left cant cross a ball with their left foot. We havent got a good lb either, akin to Valencia on the right, so to compensate a proper dribbling crossing LW who can also score around a dozen a season is paramount imo. The hardest part is finding him and persuading him and his club to part company.

wolvored

I agree. This is rawkish type stuff. At most we need three players, maybe four if people leave.

I bet the same time next year, we will have the same thing.
It might be rawkish but to stand a chance of winning the league and doing well in the champions leaue - if we qualify - 3 players wont cut it unless its Messi Neymar and Suarez we buy.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If De Gea leaves, I hope we go for Pickford. Very impressed with him every time he played up until his injury. Sunderland are sure to get relegated and he's too good to be in the championship so he'll more than likely move, if not us, someone like Liverpool or City will go in for him I reckon.

Pavl3n

If De Gea leaves, I hope we go for Pickford. Very impressed with him every time he played up until his injury. Sunderland are sure to get relegated and he's too good to be in the championship so he'll more than likely move, if not us, someone like Liverpool or City will go in for him I reckon.
I am two hands for him. English kid, won't be tempted by move to his own country's top teams. Which is DDG's case.

NoPace

I do think if we don't get Griezmann it would make sense for us to tap up Douglas Costa. He's got a lot of talent and isn't happy at Bayern and they have Coman as a replacement. Nobody seems to leave Bayern but people don't complain as openly as Costa did, presumably about money (says Hoeness) or playing time or both.

-----------Ibra-------------- (Rashford)
Martial-Mkhitaryan-Costa- (Mata, Lingard)
-----Pogba----DM---------- (Herrera, Fellaini, Carrick)
Shaw--------------Valencia (Blind, Young, Fosu-Mensah)
--------CB----Bailly-------- (Smalling, Jones, Rojo)
----------De Gea----------- (Romero)

seems like a well balanced squad. Goalscoring winger out left, creative dribbler out right with both cutting in to be set up by a creative front pairing in Ibra and Mkhitaryan.

People would complain about Pogba in a midfield 2 but we would beat a lot of mediocre teams who couldn't deal with that much overall passing quality and we could always tighten up in big games by dropping one of Martial, Mkhitaryan or Costa to the bench at times to be the impact sub when we play 4-3-3 with Pogba, Herrera and the new DM. Mata and Herrera would get tons of time while being able to step in for any of the 5 midfielders (Mkhitaryan or Costa can cover LW) without lowering our technical level at all.

It's not perfect, you'd prefer to see Fellaini upgraded and we're again relying on Shaw at LB, but either can be addressed this summer with our 4th transfer or in January or summer 2018, along with the inevitable Ibra replacement and at some point maybe a Valencia one, as 2018-19 will be his age 33 season and even with his fitness levels that probably requires real competition if Fosu-Mensah isn't a right back and a good one.

GBBQ

It might be rawkish but to stand a chance of winning the league and doing well in the champions leaue - if we qualify - 3 players wont cut it unless its Messi Neymar and Suarez we buy.
We're not that far behind. I think 3 players could make us title contenders so long as we buy right and address our biggest issues. We're unbeaten since November and need something to turn those draws into victories so if it was just 3 players it would be:

A mobile striker who keeps up a good goal to game ratio
A central midfielder who frees up Pogba from a defensive point of view
A central defender who can remain fit and form a partnership with Bailly.

Michael Edge

For me, this summer would be:

In
Lukaku (Dembele at Celtic if Lukaku goes to Chelsea, if Ibra goes I would get the two of them)
Griezmann
Bakayoko
Van Dijk
Rodriguez at Wolfsburg (if Shaw ends up leaving, like to see him stay though)
Pickford/Butland or Donnarumma (obviously only if DDG goes to Madrid, Donnarumma probably out of reach)

Out
Rooney
Darmian
Smalling
Shaw (not by choice just think he will want to leave)

Maybe another CM as we do seem a bit light when we have a couple of injuries

wolvored

We're not that far behind. I think 3 players could make us title contenders so long as we buy right and address our biggest issues. We're unbeaten since November and need something to turn those draws into victories so if it was just 3 players it would be:

A mobile striker who keeps up a good goal to game ratio
A central midfielder who frees up Pogba from a defensive point of view
A central defender who can remain fit and form a partnership with Bailly.
I'd add a winger at least to that but you may be right in the positions and essentially that's what we need as a minimum

Pavl3n

I do think if we don't get Griezmann it would make sense for us to tap up Douglas Costa. He's got a lot of talent and isn't happy at Bayern and they have Coman as a replacement. Nobody seems to leave Bayern but people don't complain as openly as Costa did, presumably about money (says Hoeness) or playing time or both.

-----------Ibra-------------- (Rashford)
Martial-Mkhitaryan-Costa- (Mata, Lingard)
-----Pogba----DM---------- (Herrera, Fellaini, Carrick)
Shaw--------------Valencia (Blind, Young, Fosu-Mensah)
--------CB----Bailly-------- (Smalling, Jones, Rojo)
----------De Gea----------- (Romero)

seems like a well balanced squad. Goalscoring winger out left, creative dribbler out right with both cutting in to be set up by a creative front pairing in Ibra and Mkhitaryan.

People would complain about Pogba in a midfield 2 but we would beat a lot of mediocre teams who couldn't deal with that much overall passing quality and we could always tighten up in big games by dropping one of Martial, Mkhitaryan or Costa to the bench at times to be the impact sub when we play 4-3-3 with Pogba, Herrera and the new DM. Mata and Herrera would get tons of time while being able to step in for any of the 5 midfielders (Mkhitaryan or Costa can cover LW) without lowering our technical level at all.

It's not perfect, you'd prefer to see Fellaini upgraded and we're again relying on Shaw at LB, but either can be addressed this summer with our 4th transfer or in January or summer 2018, along with the inevitable Ibra replacement and at some point maybe a Valencia one, as 2018-19 will be his age 33 season and even with his fitness levels that probably requires real competition if Fosu-Mensah isn't a right back and a good one.
I just can't figure what's Mourinho's plan with regards Griezman. Would he play behind the striker, will he be the striker or will he be shifted to the right. My concern is the right wing - we need more threat coming from there as Valencia is not enough and Mata doesn't have the pace to be a winger. And as you I also identify Costa, who could be brought in at reasonable price and wage.

With regards the LB - I am more than sure the position will be addressed in the summer with a consistent performer.

So it will be left back, midfielder, right winger or/and Griezman. We could also see a striker coming in, but that will only happen if Zlatan opts against extending, which I don't think is the case.

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
Now that is ridiculous because we already have Rashford and Martial and as you could see I would be adding Mbappé to that list. That are 3 extremely young players, you need some more experienced players to balance that out.

Right now we have Rooney and Zlatan. But Rooney just isn't good enough anymore even as a bench player. And Zlatan does not fit into the kind of football I would like to see United play because he is too slow and it is impossible to have him as an option from the bench because Zlatan will always demand to play or he will leave.

That is why I would get rid of Rooney and Zlatan and use the money (we save from their gigantic slaries) to buy an experienced player who would fit well into the type of football we want to play and who would not mind to be put on the bench from time to time to accomdate for our other 3 young strikers who need game time to develop. Also doesn't mean he will be a bench player all the time, you have competition for places and who ever is the best option plays. But we need some alternatives in the team with experience because we cannot have a team full of 20 year olds. And it is crazy to keep giving Rooney 300k per week to sit on the bench when everybody agrees he isn't good enough anymore to even come of that bench. And as explained Zlatan is good but he is slow and will hinder our offence if we keep him as main striker, using him as impact sub just isn't an option either. Perisic makes perfect sense then to me, even more because he is versatile and could be used in many positions and roles and you keep saying he will cost 35-40m, I don't know about that, I just think he would be a good player for us to have and he is gettable but idk for how much money that would be. Maybay he could cost 25m-30m who knows.

I'd also argue that in a world where your top players cost you 100m, it is not so ridiculous that your bench players will start costing you 40m. I mean If I look at what kind of money we spend on players like Shaw, Martial, Herrera, Fellaini who are regular bench players they also cost us that kind of money.
I never mentioned that we should use that money on a forward. And we would presumably add an experienced CM to the mix of existing players. And then a prospect cause we need depth. Either way spending 40 million on Perisic isn't making any sense even if he would start, let alone if he would sit on the bench. And again, he isn't good enough anyway.

kundalini

Good post.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
For me, this summer would be:

In
Lukaku (Dembele at Celtic if Lukaku goes to Chelsea, if Ibra goes I would get the two of them) - £60-80 million?
Griezmann £80-100 million?
Bakayoko £30-50 million?
Van Dijk £20-30 million?
Rodriguez at Wolfsburg (if Shaw ends up leaving, like to see him stay though) £20-30 million?
Pickford/Butland or Donnarumma (obviously only if DDG goes to Madrid, Donnarumma probably out of reach) £20-30 million?

So potentially you are talking £230 - £320 million in transfer fees? @_@ Ouch.

Out
Rooney
Darmian
Smalling
Shaw (not by choice just think he will want to leave)

Maybe another CM as we do seem a bit light when we have a couple of injuries

Michael Edge

Haha expensive hey mate! If you break it down we already have 45m in the bank through Memphis and Schneiderlin leaving, if you add to that the lads on the list below I mentioned being sold, your looking at recouping maybe 70m ish, plus you have included the keeper, which that is only if DDG goes to Madrid, which should be 60m you would think, so that already is 175m in sales, plus our budget this year you would think would be about 150m ish, maybe more (mental I know) so that comes to over 300m

I think Lukaku your looking at 60, Griezmann yeah 80, Bakayoko prob 30 I would say, and then a CB for prob 30 and a left back probably 30 odd.

I can see it being a big summer fee wise but only 4 or 5 coming in, but I think you will find a lot of clubs spending crazy amounts, simply due to prices being inflated insanely, talking about 100m for Hazard, the prices are just insane

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Or just change the thread title...

MadMike

Or just change the thread title...
Or...or...or...completely crazy idea.... but maybe posters should apply a little bit of common sense and simple logic before posting? To ensure what they type is thematically consistent with the thread? Or face the consequences.

If I go into the Man City thread and I start typing post-after-post about Exeter, I will eventually get my messages deleted and myself thread-banned. They're not gonna change the title of the thread for me.

Same should apply here.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

What's the word on Lamine Kone? Seems unhappy at Sunderland. Should we get Bailly's fellow countryman to solidify the back line?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't agree with this as one player up top with Zlatan this year who could have chipped in with 15-20 goals would have seen us clear in second place imho. I'm not disputing we need more I'm just saying if we get 3 improvements in our first 11 this year then that's more than enough. I'm for Griezmann all the way.

FredeDK

Didn't Everton have a £18m bid rejected last summer? So can't see Sunderland selling for much less.
Sunderland might be selling for less if they get relegated.

I don't hope that we will buy more African players, with the African Cup of Nations to be played in January. Think about if we bought Koulibaly, then we're going to miss both Bailly and Koulibaly in our central defence. One player is enough.

Special_One

Wouldn't mind the idea of Donnarumma if de Gea leaves, but he must be managed correctly. Alternatively, I don't think de Gea will leave so that pisses on that particular bonfire.

Bakayago would be a nice addition but is he in the Carrick mould? I wonder how many on here have seen him play excluding the Champions League vs. City? A Carrick replacement is imperative.

Kylian Mbappe won't join in the summer, no chance, another one on the bandwagon or the 'hype train'. Not doubting the quality, but he'll be at Monaco come September.

For me, out incomings depend on our outgoings. We don't desperately need any position. The same people who were moaning after we sold two talented players in Memphis and Schneiderlin are the same people who think we should be signing Perisic for 40million.

If Smalling/Jones leaves, a CB is needed (Lindelof, maybe). If Zlatan leaves, put Rashford/Martial up top and get another winger. If Carrick leaves, wither get a DM, or place Blind at DM, and get a left-back. If Darmian leaves, get a right-back, and so-on.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Wouldn't mind the idea of Donnarumma if de Gea leaves, but he must be managed correctly. Alternatively, I don't think de Gea will leave so that pisses on that particular bonfire.

Bakayago would be a nice addition but is he in the Carrick mould? I wonder how many on here have seen him play excluding the Champions League vs. City? A Carrick replacement is imperative.

Kylian Mbappe won't join in the summer, no chance, another one on the bandwagon or the 'hype train'. Not doubting the quality, but he'll be at Monaco come September.

For me, out incomings depend on our outgoings. We don't desperately need any position. The same people who were moaning after we sold two talented players in Memphis and Schneiderlin are the same people who think we should be signing Perisic for 40million.

If Smalling/Jones leaves, a CB is needed (Lindelof, maybe). If Zlatan leaves, put Rashford/Martial up top and get another winger. If Carrick leaves, wither get a DM, or place Blind at DM, and get a left-back. If Darmian leaves, get a right-back, and so-on.
Personally the same way Carrick wasn't a Keane type replacement but worked out well, I don't think we need to chase replicating Carrick. There really isn't a player like him that would fit straight into the team. Players aren't robots so looking for a cultured, fantastic passer who can intercept the ball in the quarter back position isn't the way to go imho.

It's hard replacing players like for like, instead we should look at players whose quality offers something else to the team.

Reactions: Cheesy

wolvored

Personally the same way Carrick wasn't a Keane type replacement but worked out well, I don't think we need to chase replicating Carrick. There really isn't a player like him that would fit straight into the team. Players aren't robots so looking for a cultured, fantastic passer who can intercept the ball in the quarter back position isn't the way to go imho.

It's hard replacing players like for like, instead we should look at players whose quality offers something else to the team.
I agree you need to adapt so you don't become stale. He's more dynamic than Carrick which will bring a different style of play to the team

Pavl3n

A realistic in to me would be Pepe. His contract is up in the summer. I think that will be Mourinho's under the radar transfer.

Last edited:

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Four additions.

Two should be goal scoring attackers.

We are going to get Griezmann. I am certain.