g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Reality-Monopoly Draft

Moby

Dick
With the ball Popescu performs as a DLP. Not Guardiola/Pirlo levels, but he can ping balls around at ease at Carrick level (or Scirea, if I may, his delta relative to Popescu being defensive but not in this function). You don't need a lot more than that with Zanetti and Krol flying down the flanks and Nedved/Futre taking on the creative onus further up the pitch.
I get the outball from the back is there but I was referring to controlling the midfield for which you'd need a different kind of CM than the three you have who all overlap a fair bit in what they bring to the pitch.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Definitely not tomorrow, so let's do it Friday. Good luck to you too, haven't looked to close at your team but from the first glance it looks great. I'm not sure about my first 11 myself though (albeit only in 1 position) :lol:

harms vs Ecstatic 14th Friday
@Edgar Allan Pillow
Thanks. Let's go for Friday then :)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I get the outball from the back is there but I was referring to controlling the midfield for which you'd need a different kind of CM than the three you have who all overlap a fair bit in what they bring to the pitch.
That's why I preferred the Heinze outcome with Guardiola (here I get Verratti), having that option switching to a diamond.

The two midfielders aren't as much picked on the basis of being box-to-box but being suitable for the outside roles in a diamond, able to push out to the flank and either support the wingback in attacking phases or provide cover. Not many CMs suited for that, let alone ones that can control the tempo of a game, that requirement has to be sorted elsewhere.

Moby

Dick
That's why I preferred the Heinze outcome with Guardiola (here I get Verratti), having that option switching to a diamond.

The two midfielders aren't as much picked on the basis of being box-to-box but being suitable for the outside roles in a diamond, able to push out to the flank and either support the wingback in attacking phases or provide cover. Not many CMs suited for that, let alone ones that can control the tempo of a game, that requirement has to be sorted elsewhere.
That is a why a diamond has usually been a counter attacking formation, especially the most famous one with Pirlo at Milan, and not the one that would 'control a midfield'.

antohan

That is a why a diamond has usually been a counter attacking formation, especially the most famous one with Pirlo at Milan, and not the one that would 'control a midfield'.
I'm not talking about tiki takaing around. It bores me to death and you know I'm a sucker for counterattacking teams.

By control I mean exerting control over what can/can't happen. That doesn't only happen through possession-based game (not letting them have the ball), you can also not let them do anything useful with it and it isn't a Scholes or Xavi that delivers that.

Moby

Dick
I'm not talking about tiki takaing around. It bores me to death and you know I'm a sucker for counterattacking teams.

By control I mean exerting control over what can/can't happen. That doesn't only happen through possession-based game (not letting them have the ball), you can also not let them do anything useful with it and it isn't a Scholes or Xavi that delivers that.
I didn't mean possession either, but more about controlling the game in midfield which is what you referred to earlier, for which you need a cerebrum in there. Luka Modric controls the game, has nada to do with possession but what you do with it when you get it, and the amount of different ways you can use the ball and the players around you, etc. Your players are more suited to a counter attacking setup than a team that would exert it's dominance all throughout the pitch or be on the front foot.

Tuppet

Damn you Edgar :mad:. Maybe you should do the random injury round after all.

@Tuppet I can play whenever you want mate. Something tells me a lengthy write up is going to be a waste of time so let me know when you fancy playing it and I'll knock something up :)
Sunday ?
Also I have no idea what you talking about mate, with your team chock-full of legends and no weakness unlike mine. Them fecking last two rolls.

antohan

I didn't mean possession either, but more about controlling the game in midfield which is what you referred to earlier, for which you need a cerebrum in there. Luka Modric controls the game, has nada to do with possession but what you do with it when you get it, and the amount of different ways you can use the ball and the players around you, etc. Your players are more suited to a counter attacking setup than a team that would exert it's dominance all throughout the pitch or be on the front foot.
Nedved?

Agreed on Modric. One of the very few that fits well and precisely why I had him as an option for a more dominant approach.

Different stages. First you have a strong counter-attacking side with 3-5-2. You go up a gear in terms of intent bringing on a Guardiola or Pirlo (all I got in this last side is Verratti) instead of Popescu starting from sweeper. Then you start playing with the midfield pair. E.g. would have loved Seedorf as an option.

That's what you explore in reinforcements IMO. There's a good reason Guardiola has always been a poisoned chalice (Pirlo often is as well): too many other things have to be right, and the first drafted sides featuring them always look messy/badly constructed.

You establish a platform that doesn't need X but which will be taken to another level once X joins, if that makes sense.

Moby

Dick
Nedved?

Agreed on Modric. One of the very few that fits well and precisely why I had him as an option for a more dominant approach.

Different stages. First you have a strong counter-attacking side with 3-5-2. You go up a gear in terms of intent bringing on a Guardiola or Pirlo (all I got in this last side is Verratti) instead of Popescu starting from sweeper. Then you start playing with the midfield pair. E.g. would have loved Seedorf as an option.

That's what you explore in reinforcements IMO. There's a good reason Guardiola has always been a poisoned chalice (Pirlo often is as well): too many other things have to be right, and the first drafted sides featuring them always look messy/badly constructed.

You establish a platform that doesn't need X but which will be taken to another level once X joins, if that makes sense.
All that is if and when you get those players, not the team you posted there which is what I was talking about.

antohan

All that is if and when you get those players, not the team you posted there which is what I was talking about.
That's a first drafted side. Sides evolve. That's what reinforcements should help with, not adding shine/voter attraction.

Moby

Dick
That's a first drafted side. Sides evolve. That's what reinforcements should help with, not adding shine/voter attraction.
Yea that's precisely what I've said that with the replacement of a couple of players in key positions here the team can become one that would be able to control the opposition while being on the front foot, which isn't the case now as you were referring to the team you posted and not it's potential.

antohan

Yea that's precisely what I've said that with the replacement of a couple of players in key positions here the team can become one that would be able to control the opposition while being on the front foot, which isn't the case now as you were referring to the team you posted and not it's potential.
I said I could control the defensive phases, not be on the frontfoot. Even said as much when Enigma mentioned creativity, grit and determination. The latter is always a given with my first drafted sides (be hard to beat first), I work on dominance later.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Nah you have an awesome team yourself, mate. Fantastic flanks in Carlos Alberto and Brehme, whilst also a great core in Gullit, Kopa, Pirri, Netto and Tresor. :drool: Will be interesting to see how you will set up tho - plenty of options there.
Sunday ?
Also I have no idea what you talking about mate, with your team chock-full of legends and no weakness unlike mine. Them fecking last two rolls.
Cheers lads. On reflection I'm probably being a negative bastard, although it's massively annoying that I'll have to either go with a back five or else keep Carlos Alberto on the bench to accomodate Viv Anderson, good player though he was. Loved the prospect of a Brehme-McGrath-Tresor-Carlos Alberto back four.

Sunday is fine Tuppet. I might be going out on the beer tonight so I mightn't have much time for a lengthy write up, but I'll do a quick one soon and then add to it if I get a chance.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
By the way, I've made a compilation of Robson's game against Barcelona in 1991, which he himself considers as his greatest ever performance.
34 years old, having serious injury problems, playing with the likes of Phelan as a right winger - facing the world's most glamorous (maybe wrong word - as it wasn't the best, but probably the most captivating) side at the time, Cruyff's Dream Team with Michael Laudrup :rolleyes: and Ronald Koeman (Stoichkov was injured).

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
By the way, I've made a compilation of Robson's game against Barcelona in 1991, which he himself considers as his greatest ever performance.
34 years old, having serious injury problems, playing with the likes of Phelan as a right winger - facing the world's most glamorous side at the time, Cruyff's Dream Team with Michael Laudrup :rolleyes: and Ronald Koeman (Stoichkov was injured).

great performance, that :( comment though:lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
34 years old, having serious injury problems, playing with the likes of Phelan as a right winger - facing the world's most glamorous side at the time, Cruyff's Dream Team with Michael Laudrup :rolleyes: and Ronald Koeman (Stoichkov was injured).

It doesn't make sense to assess Prime Laudrup in a positive or negative on the basis of the game you mention, because the latter had to play in an unusual position and play the role of the injured Stoickhov. :rolleyes: Instead of having Salinas/Stoickov, we had Salinas/Laudrup. No "Cruyff's Dream Team" without players like Guardiola and Stoickhov.

Despite some quality teams like Marseille or Belgrade, I believe Milan was still largely considered as "the most glamorous side at the time" in 1991 with:

- Defence: Tassotti-Baresi-Costacurta-Maldini
- Midfield: Rijkaard, Albertini, Ancellotti, Donadoni..
- Attack: Van Basten, Gullit, Marco Simone, Massaro

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Seems my hard on for Enzo-Rossi got the better of me. I just looked back at what would have happened had I not dropped Förster and it certainly looks best. That's of course with Monday's paper, there was no guarantee I would be able to land him later, which is what dropping Förster did.

Subs: Benarrivo, Verratti, Francescoli
Nice team. What was your list of picks? Who was your 1st pick, 2nd pick,...,14th pick?

harms

Staff
It doesn't make sense to assess Prime Laudrup in a positive or negative on the basis of the game you mention, because the latter had to play in an unusual position and play the role of the injured Stoickhov. :rolleyes: Instead of having Salinas/Stoickov, we had Salinas/Laudrup. No "Cruyff's Dream Team" without players like Guardiola and Stoickhov.
Not really unusual - he played enough times as a false 9 like he did in this game. But of course it's silly to access anyone's level by one game. Anyways, it wasn't about Laudrup but about Robson - the fact that he regularly faced superior opposition with all-time level talent (Maradona, Platini, Laudrup etc) - and even way past his peak he still managed to stamp his authority on one of those games.

You're right on the "glamorous" point though.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Thanks for that, never tire of watching Robson - I get why he sees this match as most important but I'll always rate Barca 84, Liverpool 85 (FA Cup semi replay) and possibly Liverpool 88 (league) as better performances. To be honest, he had loads of great performances.

Your point about Phelan is noteworthy - that 91 team was actually pretty good but Robson regularly played in the 80's with teams with "good" players .. Duxbury, Wallace, Gidman, Gibson, Hogg, etc and yet still managed to (sometimes almost single-handedly) lead them to great results. The nearest there's been to Robson is Keane but look at the teams/squads he was part of?

Also loved the 91 final. Being born in 69 meant I waited 22 years to see them in a European final while watching on as Liverpool had loads. Second goal sums up Hughes - no thought at all about a side foot or looking for a team-mate, pure power and confidence in taking on the tough option.

Good times.

harms

Staff
Thanks for that, never tire of watching Robson - I get why he sees this match as most important but I'll always rate Barca 84, Liverpool 85 (FA Cup semi replay) and possibly Liverpool 88 (league) as better performances. To be honest, he had loads of great performances.
Yeah, he definitely had better games. The fact that he won something else than FA Cup with United, playing against the world's best, probably overshadows it for him personally — as even after him outplaying Maradona/Schuster in 1984 we still failed to win that trophy.

That 1984 game was something else though - and the atmosphere :drool: his walk to the dressing room after the game, when hundreds of people ran onto the pitch just to touch him... incredible.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Not really unusual - he played enough times as a false 9 like he did in this game. But of course it's silly to access anyone's level by one game. Anyways, it wasn't about Laudrup but about Robson - the fact that he regularly faced superior opposition with all-time level talent (Maradona, Platini, Laudrup etc) - and even way past his peak he still managed to stamp his authority on one of those games.

You're right on the "glamorous" point though.
You're right about Robson, the greatest British central midfielder very probably. Unfortunately, some of his teammates were of lower quality.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Great vid @harms

Watching it made me think when was the optimal balance between competitiveness of a number of top teams and quality in European football?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

First time and probably the last time im doing a compilation for a sweeper, there is just no point as you miss way to much of his game....saying that, watched Vasovic few times before today but never really payed attention as i was always focused on Cruyff but i wasnt all that impressed tbh, maybe i expected to much i dont know...was shocked how "poor" was his passing.

Last edited: