UEFA Cup:2006 (runner-up)

Cardiff City
FA Cup: 2008 (runner-up)

Premier League top scorers: 1999, 2001

Cal?

CR7 fan
The final part of my attack...

Robin van Persie

Not many left footers left and Van Persie probably has the best technique and arguably one of the best scorer of great goals...

Feyenoord
UEFA Cup: 2002

Arsenal
Winner
FA Cup: 2005
FA Community Shield: 2004
Runner-up
UEFA Champions League: 2006
FA Premier League: 2004/05

Individual
KNVB Best Young Talent Award: 2000–01
Dutch Football Talent of the Year: 2001-02
FA Premier League Player of the Month: November 2005
Rotterdam Sportsman of the year: 2006
BBC Goal of the Month: September 2006 December 2008

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I need a tricky winger to deliver some crosses to Klinsmann's head and yet again I am surprised to find that a player as good as this is still available ... Chris Waddle

Equally at home on either the left or right wing, he is one of the most technically gifted English players of all time.

Waddle had just returned to English football for the first season of the Premier League after a successful couple of years playing for Marseille ( an integral part of their 1991 team that was robbed in the European Cup Final). Immediately, he showed he had lost none of his dazzling dribbling skills and could still deliver a cross with pin point accuracy. With Waddle providing the ammunition for the strikers, Sheffield Wednesday reached both cup finals that year and Waddle was voted the 1992/3 PFA Player of the Year.

Honours:
* 1990 French Championship
* 1991 European Cup finalist
* 1991 French Championship
* 1992 French Championship
* 1993 PFA Player Of The Year
* 1993 F.A. Cup finalist
* 1993 Football League Cup finalist

M13

Reserve Team Player
My next pick is a midfield BULLDOG by the name of Javier Mascherano.

Benítez called Mascherano a "monster of a player".[23] Similarly, his teammates were impressed by his talent; Xabi Alonso noted how mature a player he was for his age, saying: "He has a cool mind on the pitch. He is analysing and thinking about the game in each moment."[4] Mascherano's first Champions League appearance came in the quarter-final first leg against PSV in Eindhoven on 3 April. Hastily establishing himself as a starter at the club, Mascherano played in the Champions League Final that year against A.C. Milan. He and teammate Alonso were successful in stifling the creative play of both Kaká and Clarence Seedorf for much of the match but Liverpool eventually succumbed to Milan, losing 2–1.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My next pick is Mikel Arteta.

Arteta is one of the most consistent players in the Premier League. He is a skillful winger/attacking midfielder who can change a game in an instant. He began in central midfield but is also incredibly good on the wing, characterized by his superb close control and dribbling ability. Mikel can beat a man with a burst of pace and back it up with brilliant delivery. He is a master of set pieces and takes all of them for Everton, with an impressive goal and assists ratio for both, and also during open play.

Individual Honours

Everton Player of the Season: 2006, 2007
Everton Player's Player of the Season: 2006
skysports.com Midfielder of the Year: 2007
North West Player of the Year: 2007
Videos

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1954765/ - Arteta freekick Vs Hull City, Jan 10th 09

It seems nobody has made a decent compilation of him yet, just vids of him celebrating, but the above goal is just an example of his dead ball ability.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Carlo Cudicini

He was considered as the best goalkeeper in the league before he got replaced by Petr Cech. He made 216 appearances for Chelsea, and kept a clean sheet in 101 of those games.

Honours:

Chelsea

Winner

FA Cup: 2000, 2007
FA Community Shield: 2000, 2005

Runner-up

UEFA Champions League: 2008
FA Cup: 2002
Community Shield: 2006, 2007

Individual

ITV 'Golden Gloves' Goal Keeper of the Year: 2003
Chelsea's Player of the Year: 2002

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
For my first pick I give you one of few players to have played in every Premier League season, and a midfield rock for me.

Nicky Butt

Well we all know who he is. One of Fergie's fledglings.He made his first-team debut in the 1992–93 season, but didn't get his big break in the team until the 1994–95 season. With the departure of Paul Ince to Internazionale in the 1995 close season, manager Alex Ferguson chose to draft in Butt as Ince's successor in midfield alongside Roy Keane. When striker Paul Scholes developed into a midfielder around the end of the 1990s, Butt's first-team chances started to become limited, but he still collected many honours. By the time of his departure from Old Trafford, Butt had gained five Premier League title winner's medals, three FA Cup winner's medals and a European Cup winner's medal. He had also collected an FA Cup runners-up medal in 1995. Notably started for us in the absence of Keane and Scholes in the 1999 Champions League Final and performed admirably alongside Beckham.

Transferred to Newcastle in summer of 2004, where after a shaky start and uncertain period where he was loaned to Birmingham in 05/06 he has become one of their key players over the last few seasons. Manchester United

Honours

Premier League
Winner (6): 1995-96, 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-01, 2002-03

FA Cup
Winner (3): 1995-96, 1998-99, 2003-04

FA Community Shield
Winner (3): 1996, 1997, 2003

UEFA Champions League
Winner (1): 1998-99

UEFA Super Cup
Runner-up (1): 1999

Intercontinental Cup
Winner (1): 1999

Newcastle United

Intertoto Cup
Winner (1): 2006

To complement Butt in midfield

Roberto di Matteo

Central midfielder signed by Chelsea in 1996. His passing ability and accurate long-distance shooting saw him become one of the driving forces of Chelsea's resurgence in the late 1990s. He contributed nine goals in his first season, including long-range efforts against both Tottenham Hotspur and Wimbledon. He helped the club finish 6th in the league, their highest placing since 1989-90, and reach the 1997 FA Cup Final at Wembley. Within 43 seconds of the kick-off, Di Matteo scored from 30 yards, the fastest ever goal in a Wembley cup final, to set Chelsea on their way to a 2–0 win. Went on to also score for them in the 2000 FA Cup final. Hampered by injuries towards the end of 99/00, he sustained a triple leg fracture at the beginning of 00/01, and abandoned his comeback in 2002.

Still, on his day he was easily Chelsea's best midfielder, and his link ups with Zola were at times fantastic. It should be remembered that he played for Chelsea for effectively 4 seasons, and in that time won 6 trophies.

Chelsea FC

FA Cup: 1997, 2000

League Cup: 1998

FA Community Shield: 2000

UEFA Cup Winner's Cup: 1998

UEFA Super Cup: 1998

Alright, thats the centre of the park sorted.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Louis Saha

He made a name for himself at Fulham before United stepped in and bought him for £12.8 million. Louis impressed in his first season scored a lot of goals. Injuries kept him out for the next season and he returned to fitness and form in 2006 when he eventually kept Van Nistelrooy out of the team. He made a excellent start to the 06/07 season, 15 goals in all competitions.

Not always very prolific but his great hold-up play and fine technique was very valuable to United's rise to fame again. He is also one of the most two-footed players in the premier league's history.

Honours:

Premier League: 2006–07, 2007–08
Football League Cup: 2005–06
UEFA Champions League: 2007–08

The Law of Denis

Sorry for the lack of detail, but I'm currently suffering from a few broekn fingers so it is extremely hard to type! I will update soon hopefully.

I pick Steve Mcmanman

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
OK, my next pick is Eider Gudjohnsen. One of the most underrated players to have played in the Premier League, Gudjohnsen played for both Bolton and Chelsea, spanning a total of 8 years. He can play both as a striker and an attacking midfielder, and his link up play has proven to be excellent, and he formed a key part of the Chelsea side that won both the 2005 and 2006 Premier League titles.

Honours

PSV Eindhoven

• Dutch Eredivisie: 1997
  • Dutch Cup: 1996
  • Dutch Super Cup: 1996

Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur

• VISA-bikar cup: 1998

Chelsea FC

• FA Premier League: 2004-05, 2005-06
  • FA Cup: 2002 (runner-up)
  • Football League Cup: 2005
  • FA Community Shield: 2000, 2005

FC Barcelona

• Spanish Super Cup: 2006

Iceland

• 2004 FA Summer Tournament: 2004 (3rd Place)

Ace

Mikaël Silvestre

Honours

Manchester United

* Premier League: 1999-2000, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2006-07, 2007-08
* FA Cup: 2004
* Football League Cup: 2006
* FA Community Shield: 2003, 2007
* UEFA Champions League: 2008
* Intercontinental Cup: 1999

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My next pick is Wes Brown

Wes is one of the most underrated players in the Premier League. He has been at Manchester United since 1996, a great career spanning 13 years and counting. This career however has been partly blighted by long term injuries, but despite this, he has an impressive medal haul and has played 277 appearances so far.

Sir Alex Ferguson has said that Brown is the best technical centre-back he has ever seen, and without his injuries he would have been World Class. The past two years Brown has been used as a right back with exceptional results. His versatility is an added bonus to his overall ability, and he was one of the players of United's season in 2007/08, producing some incredible moments such as his outstanding performance against Barcelona (at his natural CB), his cross to set up the goal in the Champions League final, and various Brwnings.

Honours

Manchester United
Premier League: 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08
FA Cup: 1998–99, 2003–04
Football League Cup: 2005–06
FA Community Shield: 2003, 2007, 2008
UEFA Champions League: 1998–99, 2007–08
[edit]Individual
Denzil Haroun Young Player of the Year: 1997

Erics_Collar

Jay Jay Okocha

So good they named him twice, Jay Jay Okocha is one of the most skillful players the Premier League has seen; a genuine entertainer. Also blessed with the ability to pick a pass with his eyes clothes, there cant be anyone out there who doesn't like the man. As well as winning goal of the season against West Ham (the same goal voted Bolton's greatest ever goal by fans), Okocha led them to their first cup final in 9 years in 2004. A class act.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ok I pick ... John Barnes MBE to complete my midfield and attack

Admittedly, he had his best days before the Premier League which is probably why he has been ignored as a pick but he was still playing for England until 1995 and scoring/setting up goals for Liverpool until 1997. He even became Liverpool captain in the mid 90s and went on to play for his old team mate Kenny Dalglish at Newcastle in the twilight of his career until he finally retired in 1999.

Inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame in 2005, John Barnes was a true English football legend.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Okay, having picked quite a good looking team so far, I'll balance it a bit with...

Peter Andrew Beardsley MBE

Only played in the Premiership towards the end of his career, captained Newcastle in their most successful spell to 2nd place in 95/96. (We all know what happened. :smirk: )

Honestly, I'm very surprised nobody has picked him earlier.

Smash-E

William Gallas

Honours:
Chelsea
Premier League: 2004-05, 2005-06
League Cup: 2005
FA Community Shield: 2005

Great defender when he's playing well - which is most of the time. There's chances of him putting him world class performances, but there's also chances of him spitting the dummy. He may not be captain material, but he certainly is a great defender. William Gallas.

Danish Voice

Lee Dixon

One of the best full backs ever to have played in the Premiership. Lee Dixon was a part of the famous back four at Arsenal and retired at the age of 38 winning most of the big trophies during his playing days, including one Premiership title.

SirAF

Ageist

My goalkeeper. Sometimes an enigma, a maverick capable of pulling of the most stunning saves. Never mind that he made the odd mistake ;)

He is also a two time Premier League winner, which makes him my fifth player who has won the league.

Honours

Toulouse

* French Cadet Championship: 1987

[edit] Marseille

* UEFA Champions League: 1993
* Ligue 2: 1995
* UEFA Intertoto Cup: 2005

[edit] Monaco

* Ligue 1: 1997, 2000
* French Champions Trophy: 1997

[edit] Manchester United

* Premier League : 2000-01, 2002-03

[edit] International

* FIFA World Cup: 1998
* UEFA European Championship: 2000
* FIFA Confederations Cup: 2003

[edit] Individual

* Yashin Award: 1998
* Ligue 1 Goalkeeper of the Year: 1998
* IFFHS World's Best Goalkeeper: 2000
* European Footballer of the Year Best Goalkeeper: 1998, 2000
* Most-capped France goalkeeper: 87
* All-time France World Cup appearances: 17
* Most World Cup clean sheets: 10 (with Peter Shilton)

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Next Pick...

To Create a set of decent attacking WB..

Graeme Le Saux

Graeme was a very decent left-back in his stints at Blackburn and Chelsea in the Premier League. Hopefully he will make sure i have Imperious flanks in my team selection.

[edit] Chelsea
Le Saux started his career at St Paul's of Jersey before moving to Chelsea in 1987 after being spotted playing in a local tournament by manager John Hollins. He made his debut for the club two years later against Portsmouth and had become a regular by the 1990-91 season. His first stint at Chelsea ended in controversy, though. Angry at continually being substituted, he snapped when he was subbed again during a match with Southampton and threw his shirt to the ground as he stormed past manager Ian Porterfield. He was sold to Blackburn Rovers in March 1993 for £700,000.

[edit] Blackburn Rovers
Le Saux arrived at Blackburn as part of wealthy benefactor Jack Walker and manager Kenny Dalglish's plan to establish the club as one of the country's top sides, and joined an impressive side containing the likes of Alan Shearer, Chris Sutton and Tim Flowers. Blackburn finished 2nd in Le Saux's first season, and were crowned Premier League champions a year later, with Le Saux a near ever-present. He missed the second half of the following season due to a broken ankle which also ruled him out of Euro 96, but was still caught up in controversy after fighting with team-mate David Batty during a UEFA Champions League tie with FC Spartak Moscow.

[edit] Return to Chelsea
In August 1997, Le Saux became the most expensive defender in English football when he returned to Chelsea in a £5 million deal. Always a regular when available, Le Saux's second spell with Chelsea was often interrupted by injury or suspension. He remained there for six seasons, and was an important part of the side which won the League Cup and Cup Winners' Cup in 1998 and the FA Cup in 2000, though he missed two of those finals through injury.

[edit] Southampton
He was swapped in a part-exchange deal with Southampton for Wayne Bridge in 2003. Le Saux played for another two seasons before announcing his retirement in May 2005.

Vinay

Muppet in Training
Gabriel Imuetinyan "Gabby" Agbonlahor

To start getting some width in attack, I look to the most important player in the team that is currently making the best case in recent history to break into the Big Four of English Football.

A player who has shown at various levels (Aston Villa Academy, Aston Villa first team, England U21 notably) that he is born to be one of the truly greats in the Premier League.

Blessed with extreme pace (available at levels to burn), dribbling skills, an excellent right foot, Gabriel Agbonlahor has got all that is necessary to operate pacily on the wing to stretch open defences. He has also shown in his short career so far that he can be a deadly finisher as well with either foot or his head... He is at the moment what England has produced closest to Cristiano Ronaldo in some way.

He has established himself as an unconditional of the Aston Villa side and has been regularly improving in the Premier League as the following stats prove:

Premier League record

2005-06 Games Started: 3, Sub: 6, Goals: 1, Assists: 1
2006-07 Games Started: 37, Sub: 1, Goals: 9, Assists: 6
2007-08 Games Started: 37, Sub: 0, Goals: 11, Assists: 8
2008-09 Games Started: 24, Sub: 0, Goals: 9, Assists: 4

Here are a couple of videos of him showing him in all his paces and an excellent headed finish for England U21:

He'd form part of a midfield and attack that, in front of David Batty, would be extremely flexible.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Juan Sebastian Veron

Dietmar Hamann

I'll do a summary of my team when I've finished picking in the other thread.

Vinay

Muppet in Training
Nigel Winterburn

So glad to be able to pick the one of the major pieces in what was probably one of the best ever all-English club back four - what was known as the Fabulous Four of Arsenal's defence in the 1980's and 1990's...

Showed that he was an integral part of a defence that had a legendary understanding between each other, which meant combining ability and intelligence.

So, to take care of the right flank of my opposition's attack, I place Nigel Winterburn on the left of Jaap Stam.

And he had a rather wonderful left peg:

Honours with Arsenal (Premiership years)

Premier League Champions: 1998 Runners-up: 1999, 2000
FA Cup Champions: 1993, 1998
League Cup Champions: 1993
European Cup Winners' Cup Champions: 1994

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Time to bolster the defence further with the acquisition of ex-United and Blackburn pro.

Once the most expensive defender in British transfer history.

Also, the ONLY player to date to win the Premier League with two separate clubs....

Henning Berg

Always liked the guy, class pro who was decent in his seasons as first choice, and toward the tail-end a more than comepetent back up to Stam and Johnsen.

Made a brilliant contribution to the treble winning campaign.

SirAF

Ageist

O' Shea will be my 2nd CB (or full back, whatever leaves first). Plenty of experience from both the Premier League and the Champions League.
The sixth player in my team who has won the Premier League.

Manchester United

* Premier League:
o Winner (3): 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08
o Runner-up (1): 2005–06
* FA Cup:
o Winner (1): 2003–04
o Runner-up (2): 2004–05, 2006–07
* Football League Cup:
o Winner (1): 2005–06
o Runner-up (1): 2002–03
* FA Community Shield:
o Winner (1): 2003, 2007, 2008
* UEFA Champions League:
o Winner (1): 2007–08
* FIFA Club World Cup:
o Winner (1): 2008

Danish Voice

Darren Anderton

Apart from all the injuries he was a great player. Was in the England squad for both Euro 1996 and the World Cup two years later.

Smash-E

Lee Sharpe

Left winger who filled in at left back in the early days of the Premier League for Man Utd, and what a fine job he did. Forced Milne out of the squad and made the left wing position his, getting England calls up on the way. Injuries kept him out, and a certain Ryan Giggs broke through, leaving him playing either left back or right wing. IN 1991, he won the PFA young player of the year award. Injuries and social life avoided him being a true legend for United. Moved onto Leeds and Bradfrod, but never reached the heights he once achieved. Lee Sharpe.

Cal?

CR7 fan
One of the best footballers of the 90s...

Ruud Gullit

George Best commented in 1990, "Ruud Gullit is a great player by any standards. He has all the skills. He's not afraid to do things with the ball. And he looks as if he's enjoying every second of it. By my reckoning that's what makes him an even better player than Maradona. Both have the key quality you will find in all the best players: balance. You just can't knock them off the ball. It was the same with Pelé, Beckenbauer and Cruijff."

So there you're, my sweeper...

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
To complete my central defensive pairing I choose ... Des Walker

I reckon that John Terry’s bulldog spirit, power in the air and all round bravery (stupidity?) would blend well with Walker’s pace and precise tackling.

Found a good article about Des Walker and have copied and pasted the relevant bits:

Des Walker’s greatest asset was his pace. He wasn’t just quick he was electric. His powers of recovery, if beaten, were exceptional and he was also able to cover right across the back line to bale out colleagues in distress.
Walker looked an easy target for bully boy centre forwards. He was not the tallest and lithe rather than powerful and he would have looked agreeably skinny to opposing target men. Somehow he seemed able to overcome this potential weakness without much fuss.
His pace and natural spring allowed him to intercept many crosses and high balls before they reached their target and if jumping with his man he had a knack of coming in from the side of his man to head clear rather than engage in a bodily tussle.
However he managed to subdue these bigger, apparently stronger, opponents it soon became clear that he was a defender to be relied on completely...

Des Walker’s imperious form for Forest had obviously brought him to the attention of the England manager Bobby Robson.
Confidence in the teams’ chances of doing anything in those finals (Italia 90) was at perhaps an all time low but Bobby Robson’s squad proved all the doubters wrong with a magnificent tournament that came within inches of ending in the ultimate triumph.
The ultimate test of a footballers’ greatness is the World Cup. It is a test too many of our supposedly/potentially great players have failed. Not so Des Walker.

Walker never played better than during that month in the summer of 1990 when it truly did appear that you never would beat Des Walker. There was no better defender in the tournament. There was no better defender in the world.
Such performances meant his continued presence at Nottingham Forest was more doubtful. In a time before Sky had made English football the wealthiest on earth it was the Italian giants who showed most interest.

Des Walker was certainly not the success in Italy that had appeared such a formality. He lasted only one season at Sampdoria where he was used mainly at left back. You might think no manager ever would have been stupid enough to play him in that position but I’ll just whisper the words Sven, Goran and Eriksson to you and things do become a little clearer.

He certainly resumed consistently excellent service at club level. Sheffield Wednesday paid £2.7 million to bring Walker back from Italy and for eight seasons he became for the Owls what he had been for Forest before leaving for Serie A. While he may have lost some pace in his later years, his reading of the game improved massively and Walker was a giant for the Owls.

Full article here that is worth a read:
http://www.football-england.com/des_walker.html

Erics_Collar

Lucas Radebe

One of the great Premier League centre backs of his generation, Radebe as pretty much the definition of the word solid. Nicknamed "The Chief", Radebe was Leeds most important player, and their captain, during a he clubs most successful period in recent years. Leeding them to 3rd and 4th in the Premier League, Uefa Cup qualification and a Champions League semi-final.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My next pick is Phil Neville.

Phillip Neville is one of the most experienced and versatile players in the Premier League. Neville started out at Manchester United as one of Fergie's young guns coming through the ranks. He made a total of 386 appearances for United, helping United win six Premier League titles, three FA Cups and the European Cup.

Eventually Phil moved on to Everton in 2005 where he has been captain of the club since January 2007. His attitude, work-rate and desire make him a great gritty and defensive player who can play equally as well in either defensive midfield or at fullback.

Honours

Manchester United
Premier League
Winner (6): 1995-96, 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-01, 2002-03
Runner-up (1): 1997-98
FA Cup
Winner (3): 1995-96, 1998-99, 2003-04
Runner-up (1): 2004-05
Football League Cup
Runner-up (1): 2002-03
FA Community Shield
Winner (3): 1996, 1997, 2003
Runner-up (5): 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004
UEFA Champions League
Winner (1): 1998-99
UEFA Super Cup
Runner-up (1): 1999
Intercontinental Cup
Winner (1): 1999

Ace

Ian Harte

Harte joined Leeds United from Home Farm in 1995. He played for Leeds for nine seasons and was an integral part of their team alongside his uncle Gary Kelly. When Leeds bought Dominic Matteo it looked as though Harte might become second choice. Matteo though ended up playing at centre half and Harte kept his place on the left. In the 1999–2000 season he helped Leeds reach the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup, playing twelve games, scoring one goal. He then helped them reach the same stage of the UEFA Champions League in the 2000–01 season, playing 17 games and scoring three goals in the competition.

Harte is also a proficient left-footed free kick and penalty taker, which was demonstrated in the vital league game against Arsenal in the 2002-03 season, where he scored Leeds' second goal from a 25-yard free kick. Leeds went on to win that game 3-2 and barely avoided relegation.

Made 221 appearances in the league scoring 28 goals from left back.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Shaun Wright Phillips

One of the most pacy wingers in the Premier League, Shaun Wright Phillips has dazzled and amazed with his natural ability to dribble with the ball, take it past people and his general overall play. Having had a very successful first spell with Manchester City, Chelsea splashed out £20.3m to take him to Stamford Bridge. Whilst he couldn't maintain the form he showed at City, Wright Phillips still made over 80 appearances for the Blues and showed glimpses of why they paid such a huge sum. Wright Phillips then returned to Eastlands after failing to secure a regular starting place and has since gone on to show why he is one of the most established right wingers in the Premier League. The talent was there at Chelsea; the chances were not.

He has also made 22 appearances for his National side.

Honours:

Chelsea

Winner

• Premier League: 2005-06
  • FA Cup: 2007
  • League Cup: 2007
  • Community Shield: 2005

Runner-up

• UEFA Champions League: 2007-08
  • League Cup: 2008
  • Community Shield: 2006, 2007

The Law of Denis

I pick Gary Speed

''The ultimate professional footballer''

Undoubtedly one of the best and most consistent midfielders to ever play in the Premier League. He was the heartbeat of the great Newcastle and Leeds united days of the 90's and continued to be a superbly effective player for Bolton. The experienced midfielder has also won over 80 caps for Wales and holds the record for the number of Premiership appearances.

Speed's 14 years in the Premiership have seen him miss just 60 games in his run to 500 appearances with Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton.

He quit international football at the end of Mark Hughes' reign in October 2004 after 14 years and 85 caps, making him his country's most-capped outfield player.

He played in every Premiership game for his clubs in 1996/7, 1998/9, 2003/4 and 2004/5.

Speed remains a very reliable left-footed, tough tackler with a great eye for goal. Excellent in the air and a real threat when arriving to attack crosses from either flank, Speed is also a superb crosser of the ball and provides many intelligent touches in and around the penalty area, particularly from the spot.