RedCafe Premier League Fantasy Draft - Picks Thread ONLY

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
For right back I choose

Steve Finnan

Made 206 Premiership appearances, 136 for Liverpool (2003 - 2008) and 70 for Fulham (2001 - 2003). Was bought by Liverpool for 3.5 million pounds in 2003, and despite niggling injury concerns displaced the imperious majestic fantastc Carragher at right back.

Carra was heard to say that if Finnan displaced him at right back that "I'll just have to find out where he lives and I'll send the boys round" (true story). This makes him at least as good as Lucas Neill, if not better.

Notably won the Champions League and FA Cup with Liverpool, during which time he proved himself to be a dependable if not injury prone right back. One of only two players to have scored in the top five divisions of English football. Last seen masquerading as an Espanyol player.

Fulham

UEFA Intertoto Cup

Liverpool

FA Cup

FA Community Shield

UEFA Champions League
2004–05
Runner-up 2006–07

UEFA Super Cup

Overall not the flashiest of picks. Doesn't have the reputation of Bruce and Pally, nor the trickery and consistency of Cole, but is still a solid dependable right back.

Now at the start of this competition I decided that I wouldn't make any picks based purely of my favourite players (hence Alan Smith remains unchosen). However, I'm lucky enough that my next pick also happens to be one of my favourite United players, and rather good on either wing.

Park Ji Sung

76 league appearances for Manchester United (2005 - ).

Park Ji Sung is not a traditionally flashy player. He does not have the step overs of Ronaldo, the spectacular shooting of Nani, or the blistering pace of a young Ryan Giggs. He is often wrongly maligned, being labelled "industrious" and nothing more. But he is much much more than Dirk Kuyt. Not only is he good for 90 minutes of hard running and chasing, he also makes excpetional off the ball runs, and for my money only Berbatov and Giggs have better close ball control skills than he in our current team. While he has neither a high assist count nor a goal count, numerous times this season it has been his hard work that has set up the assister (he gets an assist assist) - see the City game, where he win the ball back in the City box, picked out Carrick in space, whose spilled shot was tapped in by Rooney. Not a good at traditional crosses, he prefers to cut inside and then pass along the ground to a team mate in the box (see Boro last season, Tottenham in 2006).

He brings hard running, grit, and integrity to my team. Not only capable of helping out defensively, he aids the transition of the ball from attack to defence and for my money is extremely under rated. Inadvertantly became the first Asian player to captain Manchester United when Ryan Giggs passed him the armband as he was subbed off against Lille in 2005. There are rumours that Giggsy wanted it to be given to Scholes by Park, but we all know that he really recognised the untapped potential in our Korean wing wonder. More importantly, we've won a trophy every season he's been at the club. Coincidence? I think not!

Manchester United

Premier League: 2006–07, 2007–08
Football League Cup: 2005–06
FA Community Shield: 2007, 2008
UEFA Champions League: 2007–08
FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

The Law of Denis

Lauren Etame Mayer

Lauren was transferred to Arsenal in the summer of 2000 for a fee of £7,200,000. Lauren provided cover for both midfield or defence. He made his Arsenal debut against Sunderland on August 19, 2000. However his first season in English football season was blighted by injuries. Although at first Lauren was unable to gain a regular place in the Arsenal side, he eventually ended up becoming the club's first-choice right back, replacing veteran Lee Dixon (and leapfrogging Ukrainian international Oleh Luzhny in the process). By the time Arsenal had won the Double in 2001-02, Lauren was an integral part of the Arsenal defence.

In 2002-03, Lauren suffered a calf injury and again missed part of the season, but nevertheless recovered in time and won an FA Cup winners medal that season, as Arsenal beat Southampton 1-0.

RCD Mallorca

* Spanish Supercup Winner 1998

Arsenal

* FA Premier League: 2001–02, 2003–04
* FA Cup: 2002, 2003, 2005
* FA Community Shield: 2002, 2004

Portsmouth

* Premier League Asia Trophy winner – 2007
* FA Cup: 2008

International

* Association Football Olympic Gold Medal 2000
* African Nations Cup Winner 2000, 2002
* African Nations Cup Player of the Tournament 2000

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Next is Martin Laursen

Martin Laursen has been in the Premiership for 5 years, and in that time has established himself as one of the best centre-backs in it. The 6ft 3 inch Dane is the Aston Villa captain and defensive marshall. He has the ability to almost single handedly defend a lead for Aston Villa at times, you can count on him to provide the towering clearing headers, the goal-line blocks, and throwing his body on the line.

Laursen is also a goal threat from set pieces at the opposite end.

Honours
A.C. Milan
Coppa Italia: 2002-03
UEFA Champions League: 2002-03
European Super Cup: 2003
Serie A: 2003-04
Aston Villa
Danish Football Player of the Year 2008

Erics_Collar

Wayne Bridge

Cant believe a left back of Wayne Bridge's calibre is still available. Was one of the most impressive left backs in the league at Southampton - moved to Chelsea where he did a great job until Ashley Cole came in. Should never have been a backup left back, but had an impressive cameo at Fulham before moving to City which was a good move for the lad.

Made 154 appearances for Southampton in the team that got all the way to the FA Cup final, 87 for Chelsea including a title winning season as first choice left back, 12 for Fulham and 4 so far for City. Bridge has also represented England 32 times.

Southampton
FA Cup runner-up: 2003

Chelsea
FA Premier League: 2004–05
FA Cup winner: 2007
League Cup winner: 2007
League Cup runner-up: 2008
FA Community Shield runner-up: 2006

England
2004 FA Summer Tournament

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Very happy to still be able to get a truly world class full back ... Dan Petrescu

He was an important part of the Steaua Bucharest team which reached the semifinals of the European Cup in 1988 and the final in 1989. Also in 1989 he played for Romania for the first time, but missed the World Cup of the following year due to an injury.

Petrescu moved to the English Premiership in 1994 after a successful World Cup for Romania, signing for Sheffield Wednesday from Genoa. After one season at Hillsborough he signed for Chelsea and featured prominently there for the next five years. During his term at Chelsea, he was a member of the teams which won the FA Cup in 1997 and the League Cup and Cup Winners' Cup (both in 1998).
To this day he still considers the time spent at Chelsea as the best part of his playing career and is still loved by the fans, who consider him to be one of the best non-English footballers in the club's history.

Unfortunately this is the only YouTube video I could find of him :(

Cal?

CR7 fan

Sylvio Mendes Campos Junior (Sylvinho)

L'Arse's first Brazilian to replace Winterburn, only played 2 years in the Premiership but made the PFA Team of the Year in 2001.

Smash-E

Frank Leboeuf

At chelsea from 1996-2001, playing 144 league games and scoring 17 goals, picking up two FA Cups, one League Cup and one Cup Winners' Cup. As the penalty taker for Chelsea, he took 20 penalties, and only missed 3. Solid in defence, and good with long balls. Frank Leboeuf

Danish Voice

Colin Hendry

Colin Hendry. Played a huge part in Blackburn's defence in the early Premiership years, culminating with their title win in 1995. A season in which he played 38 games and scored 4 goals.

Was also capped 51 times for Scotland.

SirAF

Ageist

Full name Mark Anthony Viduka
Date of birth October 9, 1975 (1975-10-09)
Place of birth Melbourne, Australia
Height 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I'm going to have to chose Ledley King.

This polishes off my defence...

I will add his stats soon, but am drunk atm.... g'night

Vinay

Muppet in Training
Philippe Albert

To partner the rock-like, solid and monstrous Jaap Stam in central defence, what better than to make use of the intelligence, reading of game and cavalier spirit of Phillippe Albert...

Post more on this later.

But, here's to enjoying a moment, that though we are United fans on here, we should truly stand and applaud - that fifth goal in the 5-0 trouncing we received at the hands of Newcastle in 1996-7...

Vinay

Muppet in Training
Stewart Downing

The second of my wide players. One of the genuinely good left foots in English football today to provide telling crosses; to provide variety from the likes of Drogba/Juninho on deadball situations. Downing will be my third left-footed player of the team

Will post more later.

But for now, a little apercu of what Downing is all about:

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Okay I've gone for a bit of a wildcard here; a player who had a short stint in the EPL, but apart from showing bad temperament perhaps at Arsenal and Chelsea, this man certainly made an impact that has seen him move to Real Madrid for £20million.

I bring you...

Lassana Diarra

Honours

Chelsea

* Football League Cup: 2007
* FA Cup winner 2007
* FA Premier League runners-up 2006-07

Portsmouth

* FA Cup winner 2008
* FA Community Shield runners-up 2008

Danish Voice

Alexander Hleb

Hleb for my left wing. Not a left winger of the good old days, but he was a very important side of Arsenal's side for three season's. Not the most clinical player in front of goal, to say the least, but could create a hell lot of chances for his teammates.

Honours
With FC BATE

Belarusian Premier League 1998/99
With VfB Stuttgart

Bundesliga runner-up 2002/03
UEFA Intertoto Cup 2002
With Arsenal

UEFA Champions League runner-up 2006
League Cup runner-up 2007
Individual

Belarusian Footballer of the Year in 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
First ever Belarusian player to play in a UEFA Champions League final (2006)

Smash-E

Gary McAllister

Although he was a center midfielder, he could easily play on either wings. Even though he is a former Leeds and Liverpool player, I can't believe he wasn't picked. I remember him for his free kicks and his long shots. I Remember his Man of the Match preformance in that 5-4 UEFA cup final against Alaves too.

Honours:
Leeds United
1991–92 — League Championship
1993 — Charity Shield
1996 — League Cup (Runner Up)
Liverpool
2001 — League Cup
2001 — FA Cup
2001 — UEFA Cup
2001 — Charity Shield
2001 — UEFA Super Cup

Personal honours
Scotland Football Hall of Fame — 57 Caps
MBE – Services to football.

Cal?

CR7 fan
My first Liverpool player... hope it doesn't cost me votes... :nervous:

Markus Babbel

Played a vital part in the Scousers Mickey Mouse Treble and been very successful throughout his career, won the Euro in England as well...

Honours:
European Championship (1): 1996
Bundesliga (4): 1997, 1999, 2000, 2007
DFB Liga-Pokal (3): 1997, 1998, 1999; Runner-up 2005
DFB Pokal (2): 1998, 2000; Runner-up: 1999, 2007
Football League Cup (1): 2001
FA Cup (1): 2001
UEFA Cup (2): 1996, 2001
Community Shield (1): 2001
European Super Cup (1): 2001
UEFA Champions League: Runner-up 1999

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
To complete my defence, I pick ... Steve Staunton

Steve Staunton was a cultured defender who enjoyed a distinguished career with Liverpool and Aston Villa, and became the Republic of Ireland's most capped player (he is the only player to have appeared in every World Cup match that the Republic of Ireland have ever played in).

Steve won the FA Cup and League Championship in first spell at Anfield where he became a regular in the side at a young age despite being vastly inexperienced compared to the high profile players around him. However, he became a victim of the rule restricting the number of non-English players at each club when Souness decided he was dispensable and sold him to Aston Villa for £1.1m in 1991.

Staunton soon settled in at Villa Park, making an impressive debut by scoring a goal against Sheffield Wednesday. He soon developed into one of the best left full-backs in the country and played an important role in Villa's push for the title in the first Premier League season. Villa, in the end, lost out to Manchester United and had to settle for second place.
The following season, he won a Coca-Cola League Cup winners medal when he helped Villa upset the odds by beating hot favourites Manchester United 3–1. The League Cup medal completed his domestic medal set. In the 1994–95 season, despite the club's battle to avoid relegation, he had a fine season and regularly captained the side. The 1995–96 season was a mixed one for Staunton. He won another League Cup medal but his playing time was limited due to a number of injuries.
Over the next two seasons he was once again a regular in defence, playing his part in Villa's run to the UEFA Cup quarter finals in 1996–97. He also scored from a corner during his time at Villa. Meanwhile in the league, he helped them to a 5th place finish in 1996/97 and 7th in 1997/8.

Towards the end of his career, he then returned to Liverpool for 2 years before again going back to Villa - as if both clubs had agreed to take turns in using his talents for a few years at a time. During this period he also captained the Republic of Ireland at the 2002 World Cup Finals and became the first Irish player to reach 100 caps for his country.

Honours
* First Division: 1990 with Liverpool
* FA Cup: 1989 with Liverpool
* Football League Cup: 1994 and 1996 with Aston Villa

M13

Reserve Team Player
I'm taking the risk. At this stage in the game, players need to be picked on merit, and this guy was good. We voted him that way, remember.

Heinze was voted Manchester United fans' player of the year for the 2004-05 season (unusually rare for a player to be voted in the first season in the club, even more so as a defender), beating top-scorer Wayne Rooney, and is the first South American to do so.
Gabriel Heinze

Premier League winner: 2006/07.

Erics_Collar

Ray Parlour

One of the true unsung heroes and under-rated players of the Premier League era, the fact that he is still available in Round 10 just proves that. With 385 league appearances to his name from his time with Arsenal and Middlesbrough, Parlour has 3 Premier League medals, 4 FA Cup medals, a league cup medal, a European cup winners cup medal (as well as runner up medals in the FA, CWC and Uefa Cup twice with 2 clubs). Parlour was also voted 19th greatest ever Arsenal player by Gunners fans, and gained 10 England caps.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My 10th player will be Nolberto 'Nobby' Solano.

Solano is exactly what you would expect from a South American winger, he has great skill and vision and relies on this more than anything else. He is known for his dead ball speciality, pinpoint crosses and two-footed ability. He is rarely rushed and tends to drift inside but has the ability to that or go wide. In the 2000/2001 season he was second only to Thierry Henry in assists.

Nolberto played in the Premeirship for 10 years, with West Ham, Aston Villa and Newcastle.

Ace

Edgar Davids

Chosen by Pelé to be featured in the FIFA 100 list of the world's greatest living footballers, Davids, who suffers from glaucoma, is among an elite list of players. His dreadlocked hair and his protective eye wear make Davids one of the most recognisable footballers of his generation.

Davids enjoyed succesfull spells at Ajax, Milan, Juventus, Barcelona, & Inter, and in August 2005, he moved to England on a free transfer to play for Tottenham Hotspur. He had a successful stay at Tottenham and instantly became a fans favourite. His first and only goal was in a 2-1 away win against Wigan Athletic. Davids played two seasons with Tottenham in the 2005-2006 and the 2006-2007 seasons both in which Tottenham finished in 5th position.

Domestic

* Dutch Cup : 1993, 2007
* Dutch Supercup : 1993, 1994, 1995, 2007
* Dutch Eredivisie : 1994, 1995, 1996
* Italian Serie A : 1998, 2002, 2003 Runner-up: 2000, 2001
* Italian Super Cup : 2002, 2003 Runner-up: 1998
* Italian Cup : 2005

European

* UEFA Cup : 1992*
* Champions League : 1995 Runner-up : 1996, 1998, 2003
* Intercontinental Cup : 1995
* European Supercup : 1995

Individual

* 1998 FIFA World Cup : All-Star Team
* UEFA Euro 2000 : UEFA Team of the Tournament

The Law of Denis

I pick Joleon Lescott

Lescott was sold to Everton at the start of the 2006–07 season for an immediate payment of £2 million, followed by a further £2 million paid in installments and a final £1 million contingent on appearances.[4] The transfer was slightly delayed as Everton asked for extra medical checks to be taken on Lescott's knee following the reconstruction of the joint earlier in his career. Lescott was Everton's third summer signing after Tim Howard and Andrew Johnson. Everton sold Per Krøldrup in January 2006 and Matteo Ferrari returned to A.S. Roma at the conclusion of his loan making Lescott one of only four senior centre backs at the club.

Lescott made his Everton debut in August 2006 during a victory over Watford and his his first start of the season away to Tottenham Hotspur, after Alan Stubbs injured his groin in the previous game against Blackburn. The game was Everton's first victory at White Hart Lane in two decades, and Lescott was named man of the match.[citation needed] Lescott started again in the next match, the 204th Merseyside derby, a 3-0 victory for Everton. Lescott's first Everton goal came in a 1-1 draw against Aston Villa at Villa Park on 2 April 2007. Lescott was voted the Player's Player of the Season 2006–07 by his teammates.[5] He also finished a very close[quantify] second behind Mikel Arteta in the fans Player of the Season.[citation needed]

The start of the 2007–08 season saw Lescott score three goals in the first eight games of the season. He didn't quite manage to continue scoring at that rate, but he ended the campaign with 10 goals in all competitions and the the highest shot-to-goal ratio in the Premier League: 42.1%.[6]

On 8 May 2008, at the end of season awards, Lescott was voted Everton's Player of the Year and Players Player of the Year.[7] Prior to the final home game of the season against Newcastle, on 11 May 2008, Lescott was also awarded the Player of the Year award by the Everton Disabled Supporters Association. The EDSA labelled Lescott "Mr Consistency" for his performances over the 2007–08 season. He is also only the second Everton player to have ever been awarded the honour twice.[8]

There are investigated allegations that Liverpool supporters allegedly chanted 'The Elephant Man, the Elephant Man, Joleon Lescott, the Elephant Man", in reference to Lescott's scarring on his forehead, result of a childhood accident, following Liverpool's 1-0 win on 30 March 2008.[9]

The start of the 2007–08 season saw Lescott move to the left-back position after Joseph Yobo and Phil Jagielka's successful partnership at the centre of Everton's defence provided manager David Moyes with a selection dilemma. On 7 December 2008 Lescott played superbly against Aston Villa scoring two goals, even though Everton lost 3-2.[10]

On 25 January 2009 Lescott scored Everton's only goal — a close-range header — in the FA Cup 4th Round meeting with Liverpool. The match ended as a 1-1 draw,[11] but Everton went through by scoring the replay's only goal in extra-time on 4 February.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
OK in short I can't be arsed doing long descriptions this time, so here goes.

Sylvain Wiltord. Spend 4 years at Arsenal, won the league twice and the FA Cup twice, and scored *that* goal against us.

Scored 49 goals in however many appearances he made for the Arse, which gives him a strike record of about 1 in 3.

And I should preface my next pick with a big feck YOU to all of you.

Harry fecking Kewell

Was fecking good at Leeds. While still a cnut it was easy to see why he was being touted as the next Giggs - an attacking left winger with pace and precision. Injury blighted his time at Liverpool, but there were still glimpses of his talent - and remember it is talent that we are going off here. Thus it isn't the injury prone lazy Kewell that we are the take into consideration here, but rather the Kewell that does this stuff:

Won the Champions League and FA Cup with Pool

So that's my team sorted.

And a happy fecking birthday to me.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Steed Malbranque

Malbranque is a very technical and hardworking midfielder. He is also a great passer of the ball.

He had a great spell with Fulham where he became a fans favorite. His good peformances and goals eventually gave him a call up to the French natonal squad. In 2006 he was sold to Tottenham where he continued to impress. He was suprinsingly sold to Sunderland in 2008 where he in January, was the top assist maker in the league.

The Law of Denis

My next pick

One of the most colorful characters to play in the League in recent years. Sure, he had his moments but Lehmann is an amazing all round goalkeeper. Superb reflexes, command of the area, and not afraid to do what it takes to protect his goal. One of his most memorable moments was against 20LEGEND, a brilliant reflex to keep his teams lead. He played 54 times during the 'Invincible' season, and holds the record of 853 minutes without a goal scored against in the Champions League, and if he wasn't sent off in the final, then Arsenal would have probably won. Jens was also brilliant in penalty shootouts, leading his team to victory in the World Cup Quarter Finals, FA Cup Final and Champions league Semi-Final. A goalkeeper who in his day was extremely frustrating to play against, in more ways than one.

Schalke

* UEFA Cup: 1997

Milan

* Serie A: 1998–99

Borussia Dortmund

* Bundesliga: 2001–02

Arsenal

* Premier League: 2004
* FA Cup: 2005
* FA Community Shield: 2004

Individual

* UEFA Goalkeeper of the Year: 1997, 2006
* UEFA Club Football Awards Best Goalkeeper: 2005–06
* FIFA World Cup All-Star Team Goalkeeper: 2006

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
My next player is Richard Dunne.

One of the most consistent defnders over the past few years, Dunne has formed an part of an impressive back-line at Manchester City. Strong, determined and resilliant; he was made Manchester City captain as a result of some fantastic performances in the 2005/06 Season. He is also a regular in the Republic of Ireland squad.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My final pick is Mathieu Flamini

Flamini was at Arsenal for four years. He spent his early days there as a utility player, ina variety of positions for the 2004/05 Season. Yet by the 2007/08 season, there was no doubt as to who kept the Arsenal machine ticking. Showing impressive development at just 22/23 years old, he established himself in the side, keeping out then captain, Gilberto Silva.

His main attributes are his tackling ability, stamina, and work rate. His playing style has been likened to that of Gennaro Gattuso, and his performances earned him a move to Italian giants AC Milan in the summer of 2008. As a result of his loss, Arsenal have evidently suffered this season and struggled to replace him.

Honours

Arsenal

Winner
FA Cup: 2005
Runner-up
UEFA Champions League: 2006
FA Premier League: 2004/05
League Cup: 2007
FA Community Shield: 2005

M13

Reserve Team Player
Philippe Senderos

Arsenal

* Winner
o FA Cup: 2005
o FA Community Shield: 2004–05
* Runner-up
o UEFA Champions League : 2005-06
o Football League Cup : 2007
o FA Community Shield: 2005

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
My goalkeeper and final piece of the jigsaw ... Neville Southall

In the case of Neville Southall that striker has plenty to do: one-on-one situations are a speciality of his. Any number of forwards over the years have been intimidated into missing by the advancing Southall, his speed off his line and astonishing reflexes foiling even the best finishers. In fact, most areas of goalkeeping seem to be Southall specialities: virtually all modern keepers excel at stopping shots – it's what they are paid to do, after all – but he has taken this excellence to another level, a startling ability to change direction in mid-dive preventing innumerable wickedly-curling and deflected efforts finding the net. Many of his contemporaries have been found wanting when dealing with high balls, but, despite being at 6'1" short by modern goalkeeping standards, it is perhaps in this area where Southall is most noticeably superior. The key is decisiveness – many fail to decide whether to catch or punch, or even whether to go for the ball at all. Not Southall, even when the studs are flailing. There probably isn't a weakness in his game, which is probably down to the phenomenal amount of work he put in.

In the mid- to late-eighties, Neville Southall was definitely one of the top three goalkeepers in the world, some even say he was the best. Through the nineties, as Southall matured and aged, he was expected to retire gracefully, but Big Nev confounded the critics and just kept on going.
By 1997, Southall became the first player to reach 200 appearances in the Premiership and he managed to chalk up his 750th Everton appearance (a club record).

His best recent season was 1994-95, when he helped Everton to a then record seven consecutive clean sheets in the Premiership, and rounded it all off with an excellent performance in the 1995 FA Cup Final to deny the Red Devil's onslaught.

Honours
* Football League Championship winner 1985, 1987
* FA Cup winner 1984, 1995
* European Cup-Winners Cup winner 1985
* Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year 1985
* Record Appearances for Wales (93 caps)