RedCafe Premier League Fantasy Draft - Picks Thread ONLY

Erics_Collar

***THIS THREAD IS FOR SELECTIONS ONLY. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY UNLESS PARTICIPATING IN THE DRAFT AND MAKING A SELECTION. PLEASE USE THIS THREAD FOR DISCUSSION!

Rules

• There are 16 members participating in this competition.
  • The aim of the game is to select a team of 11 players who have competed in the FA Premiership/Premier League since its formation in 1992-1993.
  • The participants will each take turns to select one player in ascending order (Participant 1 will select first, followed by Participant 2, then Partipant 3 etc.).
  • Once the first round of the draft is complete (all 16 participants have chosen a player), the second round begins. It operates the same as the first draft, except this time in descending order (Participant 16 picks first, Participant 15 picks second, etc.). This is to ensure that those towards the end of the list get fair picks.
  • Once you have posted your selection for any particular round of the draft, it is up to you to PM the person who is next in line to inform them that they are now allowed to make their choice. Remember the participants on either side of you, as these are the only 2 participants you will have to PM for the duration of the competition.
  • You have 24 hours to post your selection. If you cannot make your post within 24 hours, the draft continues on as normal and it is up to you to post your selection at your earliest convenience.
  • When selecting a player, it is important to remember that you are only picking them on their Premiership/Premier League form, i.e. if you pick Shevchenko, you get his form at Chelsea only, not Kiev or Milan!
  • To prevent the selection of one-season wonders, the player must have played in at least 40 games in the Premiership/Premier League.
  • When posting your selection, please post a picture of the player. You must also include an explanation of why you picked this player. You are basically trying to convince those who are viewing the thread as to why you're team is the best. (You may post stats, a maximum of 2 youtube videos, personal awards etc. Its up to you!).
  • You may pick any formation you choose, however a realistic formation is recommended as your team will be going up against another team from the competition and the rest of RedCafe will vote as to who they think would win in a match between the two.
  • One round 16 is complete, a new thread will be started where each participant gets on final chance to post their entire team, their tactics, why their team should win etc.

Cup Competition
  • There will be 8 matches, where 8 teams will advance to the quarter final. 4 of those 8 then advance to the semi-finals, and then 2 advance to the final.
  • Each round of the tournament will get its own thread (I will post links to each team, participants need not worry about starting a thread).
  • RedCafe.net members who are not participating will then vote on who they think will win each match throughout the tournament, with most votes in a 24-hour period going through.

Order of Draft:
  1. SharkyMcShark
  2. R.Nilsson7
  3. The Law of Denis
  4. esmufc09
  5. Ace
  6. Solius
  7. Erics Collar
  8. M13 Red
  9. roodboy
  10. Cal?
  11. Smash-E
  12. Danish Voice
  13. SirAF
  14. Fort Boyard
  15. Vinay
  16. Melvin Yeo

SharkyMcShark, you are up first. You have 24 hours to make your choice. Once you have, you must PM R.Nilsson7 to inform him that it is his turn. Over to you!

Enjoy the draft, hope this works!

***THIS THREAD IS FOR SELECTIONS ONLY. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY UNLESS PARTICIPATING IN THE DRAFT AND MAKING A SELECTION. PLEASE USE THIS THREAD FOR DISCUSSION!

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Oh great I'm first!

I'll just have a read of the rules and post my selection...

After much debate, I'll take Peter Schmeichel.

Needs to introduction. It's pretty much agreed that he was the best keeper to have played in the Premiership, and backstopped us to five Premierships, three FA Cups, and a Champions League win in 1999. Followed this up with decent spells back in the EPL with Man City and Aston Villa, but will be remembered for his time with us.

Off to PM Nilsson now...

Ace

Rutgerus Johannes Martinus van Nistelrooij

Ruud van Nistelrooy is currently the second-highest goalscorer in Champions League history with sixty goals. He is a three-time Champions League top scorer, as well as a top scorer in three different European domestic leagues.

Years.......Club...............Apps.(Goals)

1993–1997...Den Bosch............69 (17)
1997–1998...SC Heerenveen........31 (13)
1998–2001...PSV Eindhoven........67 (62)
2001–2006...Manchester United....150(95)
2006–.......Real Madrid .........67 (45)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I choose Ryan Giggs

Self explanatory really. The welsh wizard is a Premiership Legend, winning it 10 times so far in his career. Still going strong at 35.

Erics_Collar

Roy Keane

Whats to be said when picking Roy Keane? You're not just picking an excellent player, youre picking a man who is probably the best defensive midfielder the Premiership has seen, a man who rarely makes mistakes, and a man who will go down as the best captain of all time. A born leader, a ferocious warrior - Roy Keane made no compromise on and off the pitch. He was dominant for 13 years in a career which earned him a fearful reputation. A tough tackler who had energy to burn, Keane gave it all even when a few goals a head with minutes remaining. His defining performance was a simply immense display against a Juventus side who were all over United. Keane dragged his team of underperforming superstars back into the game despite picking up a booking that would rule him out of the final. Yes, things ended sourly for Keane at Utd, but only the best players are shrouded in controversy. This video is a MUST see....

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
After much deliberation I pick ... Paul Scholes

Instead of explaining in my own words why I think Paul Scholes is one of the greatest players to ever grace the Premier League, I will leave it to a few people who are more qualified than I am to judge:

ZINEDINE ZIDANE- "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder".

SIR BOBBY CHARLTON - "Paul Scholes is my favourite player. He epitomises the spirit of Manchester United and everything that is good about football"

SIR ALEX FERGUSON - (whilst having a list of Manchester United players over 30 read to him) "You forgot Paul Scholes - and he is my best player."

PATRICK VIEIRA - "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes"

LAURENT BLANC - "I've said it before and i tell anyone who asks me; Scholes is easily the best English player. Intelligence, strength, unbelievable technique - all the attributes are there. At Manchester United I saw what he can do and all I could say is "wow".

EDGAR DAVIDS - "Every one of us is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes"

THIERRY HENRY - "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other "stars".

GORDON STRACHAN - “He can score goals, hit crossfield passes, play one-twos, beat people and win headers in the opponents' box, so if you take that whole package I don't think I've seen anybody as consistent - and he's been doing that for 10 or 11 years."

CESC FABREGAS - "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League".

ANDREI SHEVCHENKO - "They have two of the world's best young players in Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney, but the player who most impresses me is Paul Scholes. He is United's most important player, he makes most things happen on the field."

ROY KEANE - "Superb on the field, modest and sensible off it. No celebrity bullshit, no self-promotion or glory-hunting, an amazingly gifted player who remained unaffected as a human being."

Paul Scholes - some of his greatest goals

Last season, after over a decade playing at the top level of English football, Scholes showed that he was still capable of producing moments of magic that made the difference between victory and defeat on the most important stage ...
2008 CL Semi Final vs Barcelona

M13

Reserve Team Player
My pick is Dennis Bergkamp.

Personal Achievements:

Holland's top international scorer of all-time
Dutch Topscorer 1991, 1992, 1993
Dutch Player of the Year 1992, 1993
European Footballer of the Year -3rd place 1993
English Player of the Year 1998
English Football Writers Player of the Year 1998
Goal of the Season 1997/1998 Award
Arsenal FC Player of the Year 1998
FIFA 3rd best Player of the Year 1993, 1997

A true goalscorer at domestic and international level. Played until the bitter end and was a true fans favourite for Ajax, Arsenal, and Holland.

Cal?

CR7 fan
10th to go and I still get my first choice... :keano:

Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro

The only Premiership player to have won FIFA World Footballer of the Year, Ballon d'Or, UEFA Club Footballer of the Year, European Golden Shoe.

The great Geoge Best himself once said, “There have been a few players described as the new George Best over the years, but this is the first time it’s been a compliment to me.”

Love him or hate him, he's the best player in the World!

Smash-E

Petr Cech holds the current Premier Legaue record of not conceding a goal in 1025 minutes. In 04/05, he managed to keep 25 clean sheets, also a record in the Premier League. In 05/06, he only conceded 15 goals all season, which is also a Premiership record.

Cech as a first pick may be weird to most people, but before his horrific injury, he was easily the best goalkeeper the Premier Legaue has seen since the Great Dane. After his injury, he hasn't been as solid, but he is still a great goalkeeper, still one of the best in the Premier League, if not the best.

Danish Voice

Patrice Evra

Hard to decide where to start with my team, but Patrice Evra stands out as the most complete left back I've ever seen in Premier League. I've never seen a left back do step overs in front of the opposition's penalty box before, but Evra does. However for all his offensive tricks, he's still difficult to get past in the other end of the pitch. He's like two players in one really.

SirAF

Ageist

The Captain of my team.

Rio Ferdinand is probably the best central defender in the world. He's strong,tall, fast, skillful and he can read the game exceptionally well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTiG5xPdMO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jtQxlXh3Kc

Honours

* Premier League: 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08
* Football League Cup: 2006
* FA Community Shield: 2003, 2007, 2008
* UEFA Champions League: 2007–08
* FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

Individual

* PFA Premier League Team of the Year: 2001–02 (Leeds), 2004–05, 2006–07, 2007–08 (Manchester United)
* FIFPro World XI: 2007–08

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Okay was a hard choice here considering most of the people I wanted to pick have gone.

I guess I'm going to have to stray away from United Bias and pick a player who was a truly phenomenal player in his time in the Premier League.

I remember our passionate clashes with Wengers teams from the late 90's through early 00's.

For me one player stood as a stalwart of that great generation for Arsenal.

The Captain Patrick Vieira....

He was an amazing player, and the battle between him and Keane in centre midfield always filled me with Awe in United Clashes.

He was a tough tackling, imperious central midfielder who could just as easily score an amazing goal.

I'll let Arsene explain...

Vinay

Muppet in Training
It is injury time of a crucial game. Your team is losing 1-0. You badly want a goal. Who is that player you'd want the ball to fall to in the penalty box on that ultimate offensive being forayed by your team?

1. You need someone with ice in his veins
  2. Someone whose foot would never tremble when the chance falls at his feet.
  3. Ball control instantaneous and positive towards in the direction of the goal with only one aim, one objective, one goal.
  4. Someone who can finish with equal deadly efficacy with left or right foot.
  5. Someone who matches the best with his headed finishes.
  6. But, most importantly, someone who positions himself so instinctively to find the target (the goal) with the bullet (the ball) at his mercy.
  7. Yes, you need a serial killer of the deadliest sort...

You need - the baby-faced assassin:

Yes, you need 2Ole Gunnar Solskjaer because he has proved it time and again. What better than to hear the tribute paid to him by his manager and his team-mates when he was forced to retire after one of the most telling careers in the premier league:

His roll of honour with Manchester United:

Premier League

o Winner (6): 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2006-07
o Runner-up (2): 1997-98, 2005-06
FA Cup
o Winner (2): 1998-99, 2003-04
o Runner-up (2): 2004-05, 2006-07
Football League Cup
o Runner-up (1): 2002-03
FA Community Shield
o Winner (7): 1996, 1997, 2003
o Runner-up (5): 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004
UEFA Champions League
o Winner (1): 1998-99
UEFA Super Cup
o Runner-up (1): 1999
Intercontinental Cup
o Winner (1): 1999

From a complete unknown to most Manchester United fans when he was acquired so inconspicuously at the beginning of 1996-97 season to nothing less than a complete and utter Manchester United legendary status, more than anyone else, he is the player you'd want to be in that goal-scoring position at any time in the game. While I am sad at missing Eric Cantona, my favourite player of all times, I surely gain more than complete solace from picking Solskjaer as my first pick...

Vinay

Muppet in Training
For my second pick, I take someone who has proved beyond doubt that he ranks at the very top of the defensive hierarchy in the Premier League.

One who was the rock and the monster at the back for Manchester United.

A killer's face. You'd never want him to lock eyes with you. He has marshalled the United defence over the best part of the turn of the millenium for United and this is what gives away the identity of the defender. Many would have thought Vidic, but, I shall give my vote for my number one defender to Jaap Stam for I believe he shades the likes of Vidic and Bruce as the absolute rock in United's defence in Premier League History. In Holland he is known as the Rock of Kampen (Link)...

The fear he could instil in opposing teams and players is so well depicted in this tube Jaap Stam - Rebel Monster:

I think in sheer fear factor he outclasses all Premier League defenders and he has proved beyond doubt that his positioning and reading of the game complemented his tough and direct tackling to make him what would be the quintessential rock solid defender at the back... He is quite simply one of the best central defenders of all times in the pure defending mould. A complete must in any all-time Premiership team...

Honours at United

• 1999 Intercontinental Cup winner (Manchester United)
  • 1999 Champions League winner (Manchester United)
  • 1999 Premiership Champions (Manchester United)
  • 2000 Premiership Champions (Manchester United)
  • 2001 Premiership Champions (Manchester United)
  • 1999 FA Cup winner (Manchester United)

During his time in the Premiership, he consistently made it to the Premiership Teams of the year:

2001 Partnering Wes Brown

2000 Partnering Sami Hyypia

1999 Partnering Sol Campbell

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I'm probably avoiding gaining much popularity here but I have a plan...

I want to have a strong midfield and with many great midfielders gone I wanted a true creative force who can pull the strings for me in the centre of the park.

Again I've gone for an Arsenal player, though I am pained to say it. I have also selected the current Arsenal Captain and all round world-class centre midfielder:

Cesc Fabregas.

What can I say about this guy, he was signed by Arsenal from the Youth teams of Barcelona, where he was exceptionally highly rated. But he took a chance knowing he could make it elsewhere.

I say we are witnessing one of the greatest Centre-Midfielders of the history of the league, and if he played in a more stable side like
United would be unstoppable.

His Premier League Stats Last year were incredible:

32 Apperances, 7 Goals, 20 Assists.

Achieved at the age of 20/21

He then went on to lift Euro 2008 integral to Spain in their victory.

Achievements:

* FA Cup: 2004–05
* FA Community Shield: 2004–05
* UEFA European Championship: 2008
* FIFA U-17 Golden Shoe: 2003
* FIFA U-17 Golden Ball: 2003
* UEFA U-17 European Championship Golden Player: 2004
* Bravo Award: 2006
* UEFA Team of the Year: 2006
* Premier League Player of the Month: January 2007, September 2007
* PFA Young Player of the Year: 2007–08
* PFA Team of the Year: 2007–08
* UEFA Team of the Tournament: 2008

SirAF

Ageist

David Beckham will be my right winger and dead ball expert. He's got a fantastic work rate, deadly and accurate crosses, a superb freekick and also a great shot. This is the return of the prodigal son. My team will welcome the David Beckham from his peak years in the Premier League.

Honours

Manchester United

* Premier League: 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03
* FA Cup: 1996, 1999
* UEFA Champions League: 1998–99
* Intercontinental Cup: 1999
* Community Shield: 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997
* FA Youth Cup: 1992

Individual

* PFA Young Player of the Year: 1996/97
* Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 1996/97
* 1998 FIFA World Cup Team of the Tournament
* UEFA Club Player of the Year: 1999
* BBC Sports Personality of the Year: 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIclFfGk5No

Danish Voice

Andy Cole

Second best goalscorer in the history of The Premiership. His 174 goals only bettered by Alan Shearer. He could miss a few chances from time to time, but at the end of the day just a fantastic striker in his prime. Another master piece by Fergie in the transfer market, even though he was our most expensive player for a couple of years and his talent was obvious.

Honours
Playing honours
Newcastle United

Football League First Division
Winner (1): 1992-93
Manchester United

Premier League
Winner (5):1995-96, 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-01
FA Cup
Winner (2): 1995-96, 1998-99
Runner-up (1): 1994-95
FA Community Shield
Winner (2): 1996, 1997
Runner-up (3): 1998, 1999, 2000
UEFA Champions League
Winner (1): 1998-99
UEFA Super Cup
Runner-up (1): 1999
Intercontinental Cup
Winner (1): 1999
Blackburn Rovers

Football League Cup
Winner (1): 2001-02

Individual honours
PFA Young Player of the Year (1994)

Cal?

CR7 fan
Sorry Smash-E, just wanted to post this before the game and will be offline until tomorrow night, I assume you won't go for 2 keepers in your team.

Edwin van der Sar

The hero in Moscow... :keano:

Smash-E

Steven Gerrard
Honours:
FA Cup: 2000-01, 2005-06
League Cup: 2000-01, 2002-03
FA Community Shield: 2001-02, 2006-07
UEFA Champions League: 2004-05
UEFA Cup: 2000-01
UEFA Super Cup: 2001-02, 2005-06

Many will agree, the team Liverpool team that won the Champions League in 04/05 seemed very average, bar a few players - one of those must be Steven Gerrard. Gerrard has been the main reason for Liverpool's cup successes in the new decade, and is always scoring important goals. Love him or hate him, he is definately one of the Premier League's greats

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
My next choice is ... Michael Owen

Until the win by a certain portuguese player last year, Owen was the only Premier League player to ever win the Ballon D'Or and reach the heights of being considered the best player on the planet.

A natural goal scorer, literally born to score goals.
Announced his arrival on the international scene at 19 years of age with an amazing solo effort against Argentina in '98 and has gone to cement his name in the list of all time leading goalscorers in both Premier League and England terms.
Although his best days came in a Liverpool shirt, let's not forget that he screwed them over by allowing his contract to run down before they were forced to sell him for a paltry fee!
Of course he has had various problems with injury over the years but even now he is still getting his name regularly on the score sheet in a very average Newcastle team.

Every great team needs a deadly goalscorer and mine is Michael Owen.

M13

Reserve Team Player
Frank Lampard

He is Chelsea's top active goalscorer, he's scored the most goals in club history for a midfielder, and only the 2nd midfielder in the Premier League to reach 100 goals.

One of the most consistent players in the league.

Individual achievements

* FWA Player of the Year: 2005
* FIFPro World XI: 2005
* PFA Premier League Team of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2006
* UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year: 2007-08
* Chelsea Player of the Year: 2004, 2005

Club Honours

* Premier League: 2004-05, 2005-06
* FA Cup: 2007
* Football League Cup: 2005, 2007
* FA Community Shield: 2005

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Picking my left-back now and I'm choosing Denis Irwin

In my opinion he is one of the best left-backs in Manchester United's and the Premiership's history. The former Republic Of Ireland International was with us for 12 trophy laden years and a very consistent performer for us throughout that time. He made 296 Premier League appearances and won seven Premier League title medals. Irwin scored 18 Premiership goals for United and was an expert at free-kicks and penalties. All these are reasons why he easily makes it into my team.

Code:
[B]Premier League[/B]
Winner (7): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1997, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01
Runner Up (2): 1994–95, 1997–98
[B]FA Cup[/B]
Winner (3): 1994, 1996, 1999
Runner Up (1): 1995
[B]League Cup[/B]
Winner (1): 1992
Runner Up (1): 1994
[B]UEFA Champions League[/B]
[B]Cup Winners' Cup[/B]
Winner (1): 1991
[B]European Super Cup[/B]
Winner (1): 1991
Runner-up (1): 1999
[B]Intercontinental Cup[/B]

Ace

Matthew Le Tissier

Over 150 goals and almost 450 appearances for Southampton has left Le Tissier in the Saints folklore indefinitely. Known for his knack to create and score spectacular goals from nothing, Le Tissier relied on his natural footballing skills to compensate for his so-called 'lazy' work rate during a period when footballers were praised for their hard work. Turning down moves to AC Milan, Chelsea, and Tottenham, Le Tissier chose to remain at financially less-well-off club Southampton for the entirety of his career, and to do so with style.

Le Tissier's Top Ten Goals

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Tony Adams

Quite easily one of the best defenders the Premier League has ever seen and one of the greatest defenders in Arsenal's history. He spent 22 years at Arsenal (His entire career), making 504 appearances and scoring 32 goals in that period. He became the club captain at just 21 years of age and would hold the armband for the next 14 years.

Along with Lee Dixon, Nigel Winterburn and Steve Bould, Adams was part of the 'famour four' that, under George Graham, became renowned for their use of the offside trap.

First Division/Premier League
  • Winner (4): 1988-89, 1990-91, 1997-98, 2001-02
  • Runner-up (3): 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01
FA Cup
  • Winner (3): 1992-93, 1997-98, 2001-02
  • Runner-up (1): 2000-01
Football League Cup
  • Winner (2): 1986-87, 1992-93
  • Runner-up (1): 1987–88
UEFA Cup
  • Runner-up (1): 1999-2000
Cup Winners' Cup
  • Winner (1): 1993-94
  • Runner-up (1): 1994-95
UEFA Super Cup
  • Runner-up (1): 1994
FA Community Shield
  • Winner (3): 1991 (shared), 1998, 1999
  • Runner-up (2): 1989, 1993

The Law of Denis

Drum roll please...
I choose

Paul McGrath

Defending is known as the devil of football, McGrath makes it seem like a work of art

The PFA player of the year of 1993, Paul McGrath is quite possibly the best defender to ever grace the league. His pace, power and reading of the game is unrivaled. Man United fans need no introduction to the ability of McGrath, he is known as ''God'' to Aston Villa fans. His performances helped them to second in the first ever Premier League season, and the summer afterwords he would produce one of the finest individual performances in a World Cup match. McGrath, with all his problems, could mark anybody out of any game.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I went for another frenchman, Claude Makelele. He is arguably one of the finest, if not the best defensive midfielder in the modern game. He was one of the main reasons to Chelsea's success in recent years. Letting him go was probably the worst mistake Real Madrid has ever made. He was so good that his more attacking minded team mates didn't even have to think about tracking back. The defensive midfield position has even been dubbed as the "Makelele Role" by some people.

"I think Claude has this kind of gift - he's been the best player in the team for years but people just don't notice him, don't notice what he does. But you ask anyone at Real Madrid during the years we were talking about and they will tell you he was the best player at Real. We all knew, the players all knew he was the most important. The loss of Makélélé was the beginning of the end for Los Galacticos... You can see that it was also the beginning of a new dawn for Chelsea. He was the base, the key and I think he is the same to Chelsea now."
Honours:

English Premiership (2005, 2006)
English League Cup (2005, 2007)
English Community Shield (2005)
FA Cup (2007)

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Alright

Gary Pallister

Clubs: Manchester United 1989-1998 and Middlesborough 1998 - 2001

Premier League: 4
1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97
FA Cup: 3
1990, 1994, 1996
League Cup: 1
Community Shield: 5
1990*, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997 (* joint holders)
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1
UEFA Super Cup: 1

Gary Pallister formed one half of what is arguably our most effective defensive partnership ever (the other half being Steve Bruce). Once scored two goals against Liverpool in a single match, which makes him at least as good as Silvestre and doubly as good as O Shea. Was immense for us, although plagued by chronic back problems. Was sold to Middlesborough in 1998 after the arrival of Jaap Stam where he wound down his career. All in all a fantastic defender who along with my second pick of the night ushered in the beginnings of our recent 16 year spell of domination by providing excellent defence.

Steve Bruce

Clubs: Manchester United 1987 - 1996 (later moved to Birmingham City and Sheffield United, but they were not in the Premiership at the time when he played there so for the purpose of this exercise they do not count)

Premier League: 3
1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96
FA Cup: 3
1990, 1994, 1996
League Cup: 1
Community Shield: 5
1990*, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997 (* joint holders)
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1
UEFA Super Cup: 1

Brucey was the other half of arguably the best defensive pairing we've ever had. Holds the record for most goals scored in one season as a defender - 19 goals. Always a threat in the air, he memorably scored the two loate goals that won the game for us against Sheffield Wednesday at OT in 1993 that virtually put the title in our hands.

Youtube wasn't kind to these two - so please have this video of Brucey scoring his two famous goals - note Pally crossed to him for the second one.

So yes, it's good to get these two because not only were they fantastic defenders in their own right, but they complemented eachother almost perfectly. So now I have Schmikes, Dolly, and Daisy.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Gary Neville

Neville has spent his entire career at United. He emerged from the the youth team in the early 90's and has been a regular ever since. After Keane's departure in 2005 he was appointed captain. He is without a doubt the best right-back in the Premier Leagues history.

Honours

Premier League (7): 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07
FA Cup (3): 1996, 1999, 2004
Football League Cup (1): 2006
FA Community Shield (3): 1996, 1997, 2008
UEFA Champions League (1): 1999
Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

Erics_Collar

Sorry my pick is late guys, our house was broken into a couple of nights ago - all our laptops were stolen :(

Anyway, my pick wasn't chosen so no worries.

I pick Nemanja Vidic.

Shouldn't be too much of an explanation needed - we all know how good he is. However, ill update this later on - using a computer here at uni so can't stay on too long.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
This is admittedly harder than it initially looked. But my next player is Michael Carrick.

Not the biggest name to have played in the Premier League by any means, but you only have to look at how Spurs performed with him in their side (90 minutes from 4th place) and Spurs without Carrick in their side. Same applies to Man Utd, we always seem to play better with Carrick in the side. Underrated by many outside of Old Trafford and White Hart Lane, and that is why Sir Alex fought so hard to sign him and Martin Jol fought so hard to keep him.

Doesn't score as many as he should do, only 7 in 59 appearances for United, but when he does choose to hit them he can certainly bang in a spectacular goal or two; see his brace v Roma in April 2007 (See below).

Honours

Manchester United

Premier League
  • Winner (2): 2006–07, 2007–08
FA Cup
  • Runner-up (1): 2007
FA Community Shield
  • Winner (2): 2007, 2008
UEFA Champions League
  • Winner (1): 2007–08
FIFA Club World Cup
  • Winner (1): 2008

Ace

Sulzeer Jeremiah "Sol" Campbell

The only player to have represented England in six consecutive major tournaments, Sol Campbell has made a name for himself in his long career. He began his career at Tottenham as a striker, but found himself scattered amongst the back four for his first two seasons. He soon became a mainstay in the Spurs defense, and spent nearly ten years at White Heart Lane, captaining his side to a win in the League cup final in 98-99 season. However he rejected a contract renewal in favor of European football at Arsenal. In his first season with Arsenal he won the Premiership as well as the FA Cup. He was also an instrumental member of the Arsenal squad to win the premiership without losing a single match. He enjoyed his most successful period at Arsenal before moving to Portsmouth in August of 2006, in seek of a new challenge. He captained Pompey to FA Cup glory last season, and is showing no signs of quitting. Voted 15th in a "Gunners Greatest Poll" Sol Campbell is a defensive powerhouse.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You can't have a successful side without a great goalkeeper, and David Seaman falls into that category.

Seaman played in the Premiership from it's inception til 2004 and was a regular for Arsenal throughout this time. He was a Premier League winner twice with Arsenal and is generally regarded to be one of the best keepers in it's history. Capable of pulling off fantastic saves time and time again (see youtube vid), he was a rock for Arsenal during their successful years.

One of Seaman's best ever saves.

Honours
Code:
[B]UEFA European Championship[/B]
Appearances: 1996, 2000
[B]Tournoi de France[/B]
Winner: 1997
[B]First Division Championship*/FA Premier League[/B]:
1990-1991, 1997-1998, 2001-2002
[B]FA Cup[/B]:
1992-1993, 1997-1998, 2001-2002, 2002-2003
League Cup:
1992-1993
[B]Cup Winners' Cup[/B]:
1993-1994

Erics_Collar

Next up, Im choosing Dwight Yorke, a.k.a The Smiling Assassin.

We all know what Dwight Yorke is like, because we were lucky enough to have him at the forefront and as one of our best players during the most successful period our club has had. What earned him the move to United was 97 goals for Aston Villa and is still regarded as one of their greatest ever goalscorers. It took £12.6 million pounds to get him to Old Trafford, which was a lot at the time. However, considering what he helped us achieve, we know that his smile alone was worth that fee. Scoring 47 league goals in 95 appearances, and 64 goals in total for United, Yorke helped us towards the historic Treble, finishing as both the Premiership and Champions League top scorer that season. And while some people will accuse other big name players of not doing it in the big games, Yorke notched goals against Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Juventus to name but a few of the clubs that season. The fact that Yorke is still playing today at 37 years old as a converted midfielder just shows the ability the man had, and still has. A class act. Dwight has won 2 league cups, 3 Premier League titles, an FA cup, a Champions League, an Intercontinental Championship and a Football League Championship in his career.

M13

Reserve Team Player
I'm now going to do something that I never thought I would do, and that is 'promote' the quality of a Liverpool player.

Fernando Torres

No foreign striker has ever made more of an impact at a club in his first season than this man has.

First team games: 65
First team goals: 39

He set a new record for the most prolific foreign goal scorer ever in a debut season in England, eclipsing our own Ruud van Nistelrooy's 23 goals.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I already have my star playmaker (Scholes) and deadly striker (Owen) so I decided I needed to add some 'steel' to my team with a world class defender and I have chosen ... John Terry

We all hate him but then it is only our greatest rivals that are usually targeted for the most abuse. I pick him not only for his defensive abilities but also for his leadership qualities and knack for scoring vital goals from set pieces (although I wont be allowing him to take any penalties for the team :D).

Individual Honours:
* PFA Player of the Year: 2005
* FIFA World Cup Team of the Tournament: 2006
* UEFA Team of the Year: 2005, 2007, 2008
* UEFA Club Football Awards Best Defender: 2005, 2008
* FIFPro World XI: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (the only player to be picked every year so far)

(There are some absolutely ridiculous goal line clearances in this video)