Redcafe Sheep Draft Final - Gio vs Thisistheone

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think it would more than likely be a draw aswell which is making it difficult to vote. Think TITO definately will have a good control of the game, but Romario against Ferrara-Montero is the most likely source of a goal that i can see anywhere, same as when i played TITO.
He's the best attacker on the pitch but he won't get as many opportunities as someone like Stoichkov.

Stoichkov will be played in by Totti, Scholes and Redondo more times than Romario will. No doubt about that.

I can definitely see goals in this game for both sides. I reckon Romario will get one probably, but so will at least Stoichkov. With Cafu giving that overlap it's by far the best flank in the game and creating that space for Stoichkov will be devastating with the passing of Totti, Scholes and Redondo.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think it would more than likely be a draw aswell which is making it difficult to vote. Think TITO definately will have a good control of the game, but Romario against Ferrara-Montero is the most likely source of a goal that i can see anywhere, same as when i played TITO.
Your defence was nowhere near Gio's standard though :smirk:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He's the best attacker on the pitch but he won't get as many opportunities as someone like Stoichkov.

Stoichkov will be played in by Totti, Scholes and Redondo more times than Romario will. No doubt about that.

I can definitely see goals in this game for both sides. I reckon Romario will get one probably, but so will at least Stoichkov. With Cafu giving that overlap it's by far the best flank in the game and creating that space for Stoichkov will be devastating with the passing of Totti, Scholes and Redondo.
But Stoichkov will have a tougher job shaking free from the shackles of Brehme and Kohler. Whereas Romario's got an easier ride.

antohan

@antohan I completely disagree that it would be either 1-0 Gio or 1-1, I can easily see Gio score twice. I can't see TITO scoring over once sadly..
I love all this strong/complete disagreements :lol:.

Yes, I'd agree Gio is more likely to get a second than Tito. Clearly if I say one side has a definite goal and the other I can't find the obvious goal, you would expect the former to be the more likely to score twice.

I don't think either side will though.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
But Stoichkov will have a tougher job shaking free from the shackles of Brehme and Kohler. Whereas Romario's got an easier ride.
I think it's Kohler who'll be looking to deal with Stoichkov, with Cafu overlapping on the outside of Brehme. Cafu really is the best in the draft at bombing forward in attack so there definitely won't be two defenders on Stoichkov IMO.

Well we've been over the Juve defence, I think you really underrate it but it's been covered. Ferrara in particular was fantastic in the late 1990's.

Also Totti was a false 9 but the thing that made him such a fantastic player in that role is that he kept his goal threat - he scored 32 goals in the system being replicated here. Kohler can't ignore Totti just because he drops off into space at times.

antohan

Someone mentioned earlier Tito was defending high up. I brushed that off as it would be mental, but was there any basis for that belief?

I think he absolutely needs to be defending deep or Romario will get more than one. Now, if he is controlling the game and defending deep, upon recovery there would be quite a bit of space between the lines, Romario would drop back to shake off the markers, receive, turn and dribble past them. He was great at doing that, Maradonesque at times.

THAT actually was the single most important reason for Makelele over Redondo, Makelele's defensive disposition would limit that possibility while in possession Redondo would have invariably left a bigger gap between the lines and more potential for a pass finding Romario with his back to goal.

VivaJanuzaj

I love all this strong/complete disagreements :lol:.

Yes, I'd agree Gio is more likely to get a second than Tito. Clearly if I say one side has a definite goal and the other I can't find the obvious goal, you would expect the former to be the more likely to score twice.

I don't think either side will though.
:lol: yeah I was pushing it :) I just think Gio is very very likely to score over one goal.

Nobody knows, which is the worrying thing and why I've kept asking if anyone has contact with him outside the caf.
Wait, so what makes all of you worry?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Someone mentioned earlier Tito was defending high up. I brushed that off as it would be mental, but was there any basis for that belief?

I think he absolutely needs to be defending deep or Romario will get more than one. Now, if he is controlling the game and defending deep, upon recovery there would be quite a bit of space between the lines, Romario would drop back to shake off the markers, receive, turn and dribble past them. He was great at doing that, Maradonesque at times.

THAT actually was the single most important reason for Makelele over Redondo, Makelele's defensive disposition would limit that possibility while in possession Redondo would have invariably left a bigger gap between the lines and more potential for a pass finding Romario with his back to goal.
I think it's a win-win either way. Defend deep and there is loads of space between the lines, space for Rivaldo, Romario, Hagi and Nedved to cause all sorts of problems. Defend high and Romario will cause all sorts of problems in behind.

antohan

Yeah defending deep could be disastrous too. Could see Romario scoring a goal like this one
What a peach! And the third is worth paying attention to as well, notice how Laudrup does his "look the other way" routine even when he is about to make the most blatantly obvious of passes :lol:

Love Stoichkov's reaction on the bench. Those were the days! :drool:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Looking at that I wonder if you would actually play Michel out right and Nedved left with a license to roam.

It's a shame to have Pavel as the designated Maldini-widedragger when he would have such great understanding with both CMs.

Michel would get blasted though, unfortunately.
Maldini really is a draft superman, isn't he? Put him on the left and no winger has a chance to get better of him. Not saying he won't nullify Nedved here, just a general comment. In my own game in last draft, Garrincha got no love against him

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Maldini really is a draft superman, isn't he? Put him on the left and no winger has a chance to get better of him. Not saying he won't nullify Nedved here, just a general comment. In my own game in last draft, Garrincha got no love against him
Yeah, think another time it was Anto i played previous that had Garrincha while i had Maldini. Garrincha was hardly mentioned all game, i was loving it :lol:

Moby

Dick
Yeah, think another time it was Anto i played previous that had Garrincha while i had Maldini. Garrincha was hardly mentioned all game, i was loving it :lol:
I think it was the decades one. Garrincha had a real stinker throughout the tournament. Even I managed to get a win with Zambrotta against him. :lol:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
What a peach! And the third is worth paying attention to as well, notice how Laudrup does his "look the other way" routine even when he is about to make the most blatantly obvious of passes :lol:

Love Stoichkov's reaction on the bench. Those were the days! :drool:
When i was watching Romario and Luis Enrique videos a few times it would show Stoitchkov celebrating on the bench after goals. A bit bizarre, i was wondering why the feck he wasn't playing.

Thisistheone

Totti tonight

Still at it. Legend. Can just picture that mauradering right back being Cafu.

Last edited:

Thisistheone

Totti's offensive impact for Roma this season, 37 years old and still the most important player in the side. Incredible.

Not just a scorer but also brings everyone else's level up a notch or two.

Thisistheone

Some Redondo mastery.

The best midfielder on the pitch and without question one of the best of all time, Redondo will absolutely run this game with Paul Scholes. Tactically perfect with a magnet in his boots, Redondo has the ability to boss any midfield - which he did against far better players than Simeone, such as a prime Roy Keane.

The Real Madrid Captain dictated games on the biggest stage, putting in a string of outstanding performances in the Champions League from the heart of midfield, lifting the trophy twice in three years.

There is little hope of Gio stopping Redondo and Scholes playing football and dominating possession - they're both quite simply too good on the ball. The dominance of the ball from Redondo and Scholes is going to lead to numerous chances for the front three, as the ball gets fizzed down the pitch to Totti or slipped behind the defence for Stoichkov.

Also with the insurance of the 'Bentley engine" Makelele now behind Redondo, he can dribble with the ball, getting involved further forward and therefore the side is utilising this midfield grandmaster to the maximum of his ability.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm pretty clear on my routes to goal in this game:
  1. Romario has the quickness of mind and fleetness of foot to escape the clutches of Montero and Ferrara.
  2. Rivaldo has the tools and big-game mentality to get beyond Redondo and win the match.
  3. There are the long-range options offered by Rivaldo, Hagi, Nedved and Brehme.
I'm not convinced that TITO has the same tools to permeate THAT defence.

antohan

When i was watching Romario and Luis Enrique videos a few times it would show Stoitchkov celebrating on the bench after goals. A bit bizarre, i was wondering why the feck he wasn't playing.
With Romario foreigner quota (Laudrup, Romario, Stoichkov and Koeman, one had to be on the bench).

With Lucho it's his second stint, and it wasn't as good so I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench. It's brilliant though, he looks chuffed to bits... Imagine if that were Rooney :smirk:

Polaroid

Sorry TITO, going for Gio, in Romario he has a clinical goalscorer to make the most of opportunities. If both sides create an equivalent number of chances, Romario would be the difference deciding the game.

antohan

:lol: Deservedly. I'd argue though that with Nedved's links with Simeone and Davids at club level he would be likely to have as good a game as anyone could have vs. Maldini.

The fundamental problem I had was it was a very tactical game and, quite frankly, anyone claiming Garrincha will follow suit is making shit up. I basically had tactics for 10 men and an overriding assumption Garrincha would do as he pleased, which can go brilliantly, or completely defeat what the other ten are trying to do. And you couldn't tell which one it would be, so I wasn't keen to bang on that drum.

It's nothing like that with Nedved though, he was a very intelligent player and I think he would have a storming game here. Much like I thought Nedved was Viva's key player ahead of Laudrup in some of his games, I think Pavel's performance here is huge for Gio. Not despite Maldini, but because it is Maldini, and you desperately need to keep him away from that Romario vs. Ferrara-Montero battle.

antohan

This game started rather early so not sure I'll make it back in time before the close.

Think it's a draw but if pushed to choose I'm inclined to go with Romario scoring while Tito's strongest claim to a goal (his right flank) is running straight into a proven, World Cup winning, leftback and covering CB combo.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I did fancy Gio's original lineup to win, but some revision in thought after the changes. Quite close a tie. Though I would fancy Romario against Montero/Ferrara, I think a drinfting Totti will have lot more chances than Romario. Makelele there would be a dampner in Gio's plans. Gone with Tito here!

Thisistheone

Cheers Edgar and Trippy! Kept me in the tie!

This is on a knife edge. 12-12.

Time for someone to make themselves a hero. One of the star's of the tournament, Dejan Savicevic on for Luis Suarez. Can this be the fairytale ending for the Montenegrin?

@AldoPaine18

Coming on against tired legs, cutting inside with the limitless energy of Cafu overlapping on the outside. There's every chance of something happening here.

Also means Stoichkov moves over to the left of course.

Thisistheone

The Savicevic change

The plan is for Dejan to come on against tired legs after the work-rate and energy of Suarez had run Gio's boys hard all match. Now Dejan comes on with his immense dribbing ability, pace, skill and imagination. A direct player who can unlock even the meanest of defenses.

With Cafu bombing on and providing width, pulling Brehme away, Savicevic can drift centrally behind the midfield and look to drive at the defence, dribbling his way through before cutting it back for Scholes to finish on the edge of the area or a driving Stoichkov at the back post.

The dribbling of Savicevic alone will commit defenders and pull players out of position, opening gaps in the defensive line - seen here in his fantastic MOTM display against United.

What a player!

SAVICEVIC - A truly special talent, Savicevic could be breathtaking to watch with his raw and natural ability with the ball at his feet. One of the finest dribblers of all time - let alone his generation - Savicevic would dart and move, changing direction at great pace, twisting defenders and pulling even the most well drilled teams out of their comfort zone.

Voted second in the 1994 Ballon d'Or, Savicevic's audacious chip in the 1994 Champions League Final remains one of the great goals of the competition

For those who'd like to read an excellent aricle on Savicevic:

http://equaliserblog.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/dejan-savicevic-genius/

Genius is an overused word in football. Nowadays “geniuses” appear to be ten-a-penny, along with “legends” and “great” players. In reality the very essence of genius is its rarity, the creative spark which separates the best from the rest.

Some would scoff at the idea that footballers can be geniuses. In English football the word “genius” is most typically applied to players like Paul Gascoigne or Wayne Rooney, men who do not match the conventional intellectual profile of an Einstein or Newton. Yet few of the doubters would question the credentials of men such as Mozart or Picasso who excelled in non-academic spheres to be lauded with such a term.

Both music and art can draw clear links with the scientific fields that are more commonly associated with the idea of genius. The tempo of musical scores, the rhythm and the pitch all rely on physics and mathematics to create the ideal composition. In art the angles and lines, the sense of perfect proportion, depend on applied of mathematics and make clear why so many figures of the Renaissance were accomplished in scientific disciplines.

The very best footballers do the same which is why the ridicule often given to their intellectual capacities is so misplaced. The metronomic qualities of Xavi dictate the tempo of matches with the quality of the greatest composers. Michael Laudrup demonstrated a level of vision to rival the greatest artists, while the spatial awareness of Michel Platini was illustrative of great intelligence.

Dejan Savicevic was just such a player. His nimble footwork and ability to change direction at pace marked him out as one of the most graceful footballers of his generation. Where many of the best players see passes that do not appear to exist, Savicevic’s dribbling allowed him to find a way through defences which seemed impregnable. His balance, low centre of gravity and sheer doggedness allowed him to ride tackles, evade defenders and retain possession where lesser players would have tumbled.

Naturally dribbling was not the only string to Savicevic’s bow. His control was instant, while his left foot was like a wand in the spell it cast over a football. What set him apart from his rivals was the feeling that he was always one move ahead of his opponents. On countless occasions Savicevic appeared cornered only to somehow anticipate the challenges of defenders, to wriggle out of trouble and create mayhem in the opposing penalty area.

In addition his passing married vision with technique in a manner that only the best could do. In an era where playmakers still reigned supreme, Savicevic could rival the best of them for the range and variety of his passing. If ever something special was required to unlock the most stubborn defence the imagination of Savicevic in his prime was as likely to find the key as any of his competitors. No wonder then that many consider the Montenegrin one of football’s great geniuses.

Cafu, possibly the greatest attacking right back in history

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm comfortable with that change. Bergomi will track Stoichkov - he's attacking the very space Bergomi excels in. On the other side, Brehme and Kohler will be comfortable dealing with Savicevic. Still not seeing a way through for TITO.

Thisistheone

You can't afford to ignore Cafu, Gio. There's more to this side than just the forwards. We threaten goals from other area's too.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
With the game on a knife-edge in the final minutes, who is most likely to break the deadlock and why?
  • Romario up against two defenders who will struggle to deal with the exceptional qualities that make him the best striker in the draft and one of the greatest goalscorers of all time.
  • Rivaldo up against Makelele - a very good defensive midfielder but one who he's schooled many times in the great Real Madrid - Barcelona clashes
  • Hagi, Nedved or Brehme who have made a career out of rifling in long rangers through their phenomenal left pegs.
  • Totti, Stoichkov or Savicevic up against an impeccable back four of Bergomi, Desailly, Kohler and Brehme.

Thisistheone

Safe to say this has been a real battle. There are some tired legs out there. Stoichkov and Suarez are two of the hardest working forwards in the draft and they've been twisting and turning Gio's back line all game. Now with the added pace, dribbling and directness of Savicevic, it is a defenders worst nightmare.

Scholes and Redondo have controlled things in the middle, moving the ball about, making Gio's boys again work reall hard. Maldini and Cafu on the flanks also continually stretch him. There's a winning goal in this for one of my lads, I can feel it.

Maybe a Maldini flurry down the left, instead of Cafu for once, and a beauty of a cross is thrown in, arriving late, ghosting into the box as he always used to do, Paul Scholes, with a glancing header beyond the reach of Goram and into the back of the net!!!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I can't see the likes of Davids, Simeone or Nedved getting tired: they are the three most energetic players on the park. They're good for another 30 minutes of extra time if need be.