Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (ROUND 5)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Even this thread has to turn into an argument? :lol: How to suck the joy out of everything #101.

Does it really matter about the platform, either PC or Console? Aren't we just looking for a general idea of the greatest game?
I think this is a light-hearted discussion with barely any squabbling, tbh.

I think the format deviates if it’s just purely greatest game as you then don’t need generational markers or to give any particular machine or era it’s due.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This is the way @Dirty Schwein .

I had it marked for the PS4 round as I played it on that. But if you asked me overall I feel it is a PC game which is where most of the content has been created on it as well. But since I can find other options for PC, I'd put it for PS4. Given PS5 round is gonna be a bit shite we can put it there as well. :D
I'm also just going to list it under the PS4 round I think. In terms of hours it's close between that and PC for me, but I played it first on PS4.
I have to vote for it on Switch round as that's where I played it. This is the issue I knew we would face the further along we go down this contest.

Moby

Dick
I think this is a light-hearted discussion with barely any squabbling, tbh.

I think the format deviates if it’s just purely greatest game as you then don’t need generational markers or to give any particular machine or era it’s due.
I guess it's a bit of both. The final objective is to determine the greatest game ever and the generation markers were added to have a level field for the initial rounds and also reminisce a bit with older titles. Especially in terms of tech it is easier to compare NES games with each other and so on.

In the end we are gonna be comparing Super Mario Bros with RDR2 etc and that's the final objective. To get the one true GOAT game that rules all. (and call IGN shit). (Also call previous caf voting shit which we have already managed to by knocking out OoT)

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I guess it's a bit of both. The final objective is to determine the greatest game ever and the generation markers were added to have a level field for the initial rounds and also reminisce a bit with older titles. Especially in terms of tech it is easier to compare NES games with each other and so on.

In the end we are gonna be comparing Super Mario Bros with RDR2 etc and that's the final objective. To get the one true GOAT game that rules all. (and call IGN shit). (Also call previous caf voting shit which we have already managed to by knocking out OoT)
Exactly this. Although I'm still pissed at every single idiot in here for letting Alex Kidd and Tekken 3 slip through the crack. You're all a bunch of knobs :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

I wonder if genre lists would have been easier, but then, we probably don’t get the same level of discussion, and posters would invariably avoid entire categories they have no interest in.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You are having a laugh. Bloodborne is literally one of the most fun and enjoyable games I've ever played. Yeah, that is faster paced so a bit more fun than DS probably but still, these games have the highest replayability value given the amount of builds and strategies you can try. I have been playing the NG+ of Bloodborne using a different weapon and it feels like an entirely new game. If I ever feel I have an hour or so to just kill some time this is the first thing that comes to mind, far far better to replay this than most story based RPGs.
I haven't played Bloodborne so I can't comment on that but I have played Dark Souls and I really didn't like it at all so if it's anything like that I'll most likely hate it.

Moby

Dick
I haven't played Bloodborne so I can't comment on that but I have played Dark Souls and I really didn't like it at all so if it's anything like that I'll most likely hate it.
A lot of fundamentals are similar in terms of checkpoints and stuff but it is meant to be a completely aggressive combat system. You don't have any shield and you can't play passively, you have to constantly hack and slash enemies and you also regain lost health if you hit back instantly so the entire combat is all out attack. And still the same level of difficulty in terms of bosses and enemies so you have to learn each one of them.

For me these are the best games, there is no option but to learn and skill up and once you do and can overcome the challenges it is more satisfying than following a story and finishing scripted missions etc. You form your own way and it makes each playthrough unique. I mean you can repeat the same way if you want but also make it completely different. Just in my second playthough of BB I decided to explore areas in a different order and it was a totally new experience.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
A lot of fundamentals are similar in terms of checkpoints and stuff but it is meant to be a completely aggressive combat system. You don't have any shield and you can't play passively, you have to constantly hack and slash enemies and you also regain lost health if you hit back instantly so the entire combat is all out attack. And still the same level of difficulty in terms of bosses and enemies so you have to learn each one of them.

For me these are the best games, there is no option but to learn and skill up and once you do and can overcome the challenges it is more satisfying than following a story and finishing scripted missions etc. You form your own way and it makes each playthrough unique. I mean you can repeat the same way if you want but also make it completely different. Just in my second playthough of BB I decided to explore areas in a different order and it was a totally new experience.
Just doesn't sound like my sort of thing at all - honestly I just find that sort of stuff incredibly boring and repetitive. I love strategy games, RPG's and FPS's mostly.

Ainu

I have to vote for it on Switch round as that's where I played it. This is the issue I knew we would face the further along we go down this contest.
I guess it was unavoidable. Still, fragmented votes are going to hurt certain games, Hollow Knight definitely being one of them.

Moby

Dick
Just doesn't sound like my sort of thing at all - honestly I just find that sort of stuff incredibly boring and repetitive. I love strategy games, RPG's and FPS's mostly.
Yeah it depends if you are into challenging games with more emphasis on gameplay, combat and level design as opposed story, visuals or strategy. These games are pretty much meant to test your physical abilities in terms of reactions, concentration etc in out and out combat with diverse enemy and level designs. I enjoy most RPGs the ones which are story or strategy based but I find these games far more replayable because you are only going to get in and fight, and keep increasing the challenge and keep testing yourself.

But I can totally understand people not seeing the aspect which makes them great if you are used to to the traditional story/mission based stuff and like to have characters, arcs, plots unfolding as you go on. There's no 'getting somewhere' in soulsborne. Just a bunch of levels and enemies and bosses, and you need to enjoy the combat the whole time to enjoy it. But they are pretty much perfect in what they do and have some of the best gameplay mechanics done.

The Hilton

I missed a few previous rounds because I forgot this was a thing, but here's my list for the 360:

Gears of War
Mass Effect
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Fallout: New Vegas
Burnout Paradise

Revan

Assumptionman
Both Portals were released on all platforms at the same time.

I think even primarily PC-associated games must be voted for in the console rounds just to make sure that actual PC exclusives can be squeezed in to the PC round. I mean, I played The Witcher 3 on my PC but there's no way I'm not voting for that in the PS4 round instead - it shouldn't take votes from 'full PC games'.
Agree. PC round should be about PC exclusives, the likes of Deus Ex, Half Life or Age of Empire.

Although, knowing Caf, it will be Football Manager who wins that round.

b82REZ

I guess it was unavoidable. Still, fragmented votes are going to hurt certain games, Hollow Knight definitely being one of them.
HK is going to represented by 2 consoles in the round it's eligible for, plus all the votes it'll get from PC and later for Switch.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Not to complicate things but would it make sense to tally the votes for a game in one round to its votes in another, say if it doesn't qualify as a Top 2 choice but gets a large amount of votes in total?

E.g.
Portal 2 - 12 points in PS3/Xbox 360 round
Portal 2 - 36 points in PC round

So the points for the console one would get added to the PC round, totalling 48 points (using this category as its selected category because it got the majority of votes in it).

Just thinking out loud.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Not to complicate things but would it make sense to tally the votes for a game in one round to its votes in another, say if it doesn't qualify as a Top 2 choice but gets a large amount of votes in total?

E.g.
Portal 2 - 12 points in PS3/Xbox 360 round
Portal 2 - 36 points in PC round

So the points for the console one would get added to the PC round, totalling 48 points (using this category as its selected category because it got the majority of votes in it).

Just thinking out loud.
I've already considered this but it makes it unfair.

Portal for example is on many consoles so gets an unfair advantage over Mario Galaxy. Moreso if we go down this route.

Ainu

HK is going to represented by 2 consoles in the round it's eligible for, plus all the votes it'll get from PC and later for Switch.
The way this is set up, unless a game ends up in the top 2 of a round, it's not playing any further role, right? So a game with votes distributed among multiple rounds is less likely to make it. That's what I meant.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Last of Us
3. GTA IV
4. Skyrim
5. NBA 2K14

the PS3 was a forgettable experience compared to previous and later consoles

MrGroovy

1. Uncharted
2. Bioshock
3. COD Modern Warfare
4. Batman Arkham Asylum
5. Infamous

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
All day long. A much tighter experience.
I guess. It did have a great freshness about it. The ideas/concepts and how they were effectively utilized was greatly rewarding and, overall, a enjoyable experience.

I thought Arkham :City may have the edge slightly though in being more open.

Ainu

All day long. A much tighter experience.
Agreed! I didn't mind the later open-world titles, especially because traversal as Batman was great, but it still felt like the overall experience was a little bit watered down. Locations in Asylum were more memorable for me.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's a real shame that Asylum isn't 60 FPS on the latest gen consoles. It's been ages since I played it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I feel, concerning Comic book characters adapted into their own individual games, the X-Men Origins: Wolverine title was a abit of a gem.

Certainly one of the few occasions when the game is clearly better than the film.

b82REZ

The way this is set up, unless a game ends up in the top 2 of a round, it's not playing any further role, right? So a game with votes distributed among multiple rounds is less likely to make it. That's what I meant.
As amazing as it is it still a niche game and its difficulty turns a lot of people off. It'll most likely make my list, but like the Souls games I don't think it'll finish high overall.

Although I do expect Bloodborne to do well in the next round.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If I had to try and pick 5 games i'd go with:

IGNORE ME BECAUSE I AM UNABLE TO UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT A PC GAMER THREAD

Last edited:

b82REZ

If I had to try and pick 5 games i'd go with:

1: Warhammer: Total War 2
2: Skyrim
3: Counterstrike: Global Offensive
4: XCOM 2
5: Prey/ League of Legends (just have to have League in here)
Majority of these are PC so can't be voted for in this round.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I think Dark Souls and any of the 'Souls' games are incredibly boring, repetitive and far too frustrating to be enjoyable. It really amazes me to see so many people not only like it but think it's one of the best games ever made - it is a bit rubbish if you ask me.
Dark Souls is a must for any serious gamer. Not to have the badge of ‘getting gud’, but to experience the beauty and joy of meeting the Hydra, Moth Lady, that dragon, the…other guys, etc.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
RDR
I think Dark Souls and any of the 'Souls' games are incredibly boring, repetitive and far too frustrating to be enjoyable. It really amazes me to see so many people not only like it but think it's one of the best games ever made - it is a bit rubbish if you ask me.
Fair enough, it's your view. But the learning curve and sense of danger with every action mattering is something you find boring/frustrating but tons of people absolutely love. As compared to the 'autopilot' gameplay of your usual AAA games like Uncharted and Assassins Creed.