Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Well I just watched highlights and VAR showed only one line and not the whole pitch . Decision aside I dont know what channel you watched on but wasn’t shown on mine. Your “screenshot” lines, if you zoom in, are actually pixels like a drawing package.
Just saying what I see
It's taken from live feed of the game, logo in top right is a red S with yellow dot. You can see the line get moved in front of Son's foot to make sure he's "onside" It's not in the UK official highlights on YouTube I think. I wonder why? You might be able to see it with a4bn32B6DbqII .

If you actually pick the correct frame he's offside as Mr Klopp said... rather than the picture above. If its a drawing package I guess its the premier league official one.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
You got to see the penalty for atletico madrid :lol:

Also whatever the feck the ref saw in barcelona-valencia :houllier:

Weird day
Was offside by VAR the Atletico one?

Agree on Barcelona, very soft, at least red card reversed and same player scored equaliser, justice!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I've been saying this forever but all it takes is chips in their boots and the ball. They would be able to use a computer to monitor the game automatically and use the data registered there instantly to get the correct decisions. It would look something like FM. This will only work for offsides, corners etc, but with time they might even get to the point they can calculate the force used in tackles and touches to help determine foul or acting. It could act as a blueprint or foundation for creating consistency in what constitutes fouls and what does not. It could be used for many purposes depending on how the computer handles data and converts it to substantial information that can actually be used to create consistency in football.

The key thing with this idea is that the game would be analysed in real time with no delay and the ref could get a message on his watch before he even register his own opinion, then he makes the right call then and there.

For instance, the Sheffield goal wouldn't have happened because the 'real time simulation' of the game would have instantly registered that the ball left the foot of a Sheffield player before it went out and ref would have known it wasn't a corner.

The pitch doesn't move, only the players and the ball does so a real time simulation could accurately pin point the exact point the ball leaves someones foot, and if the player receiving the ball is ahead of the last defender for an offside. Just create the program, create the rules and frames for how you want it to operate and lets go. No more drama about stupid shit, lets enjoy a fair game of football.
Considering the technology is there for goal line and whether a ball crosses the line or not (AND it's pretty instantaneous), you'd think they can sort something for offsides.

Biggest sport in the world. Billions of pounds. Sort it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Two absolutely nailed on penalties for Southampton v City. Looks like they didn’t even go to VAR?!? Absolute fecking shambles continues.
The Sterling one wasn't because it deflected off his own body (though we have seen those wrongly given already this season) but the Ings one was nailed on. No idea how they didn't give that one.

UncleBob

Considering the technology is there for goal line and whether a ball crosses the line or not (AND it's pretty instantaneous), you'd think they can sort something for offsides.

Biggest sport in the world. Billions of pounds. Sort it.
Because they calibrate it for goal line technology. Slightly more complicated for offsides as the line will always be on the last defender...

Spaghetti

Mom's
Awful decisions in the Fulham match
Agreed for the penalty. The “foul” was outside the box.

Also, what happened to fouls of this kind, in the box (which they gave), not being red cards as they don’t prevent a goal scoring opportunity (as it’s a penalty).

Fulham let my accumulator down, so I may be seeing it with biased eyes.

Tapori

Also, what happened to fouls of this kind, in the box (which they gave), not being red cards as they don’t prevent a goal scoring opportunity (as it’s a penalty).

Interestingly, ref was not given the close=up footage we were

acnumber9

It’s only not a red card if they’re clearly trying to play the ball. Deliberately bringing a player down in that position will always be a red card. Though from my limited viewing of it, it looked incredibly soft.

Spaghetti

Mom's
It’s only not a red card if they’re clearly trying to play the ball. Deliberately bringing a player down in that position will always be a red card. Though from my limited viewing of it, it looked incredibly soft.
Ah ok, thanks. It was incredibly soft and incredibly outside the box.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Awful decisions in the Fulham match
Interesting one the red card and penalty. Looks like a shirt tug outside the box and a dive inside it.

Don't know why we see referees encouraging diving by giving it. We saw it many times this season, Martial incident springs to mind.

Should be free kick outside the box for shirt tug, red card as denying him going through on goal but then also a yellow for the attacker for the dive in the box.

MikeeMike

It's taken from live feed of the game, logo in top right is a red S with yellow dot. You can see the line get moved in front of Son's foot to make sure he's "onside" It's not in the UK official highlights on YouTube I think. I wonder why? You might be able to see it with a4bn32B6DbqII .

If you actually pick the correct frame he's offside as Mr Klopp said... rather than the picture above. If its a drawing package I guess its the premier league official one.
Just wondered what channel you took the screen shot of?

NinjaFletch

Maddison scores - var say nope

The absurdity of these lines summed up by the VAR official somehow deciding that the closest bit of Aurier's body is his RIGHT foot despite it being on the other side of his body to the goal. Even though he's drawing lines on Maddison's shoulder, it doesn't occur to him that Aurier's left shoulder is closer. :houllier:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The absurdity of these lines summed up by the VAR official somehow deciding that the closest bit of Aurier's body is his RIGHT foot despite it being on the other side of his body to the goal. Even though he's drawing lines on Maddison's shoulder, it doesn't occur to him that Aurier's left shoulder is closer. :houllier:
That's because Aurier isn't the one playing him offside. Going by the actual final image it's the other defender's shoulder, I think:

Flying high

Interesting one the red card and penalty. Looks like a shirt tug outside the box and a dive inside it.

Don't know why we see referees encouraging diving by giving it. We saw it many times this season, Martial incident springs to mind.

Should be free kick outside the box for shirt tug, red card as denying him going through on goal but then also a yellow for the attacker for the dive in the box.
Exactly right. I can only assume the ref felt pressured to make a quick decision. But that really is giving him the benefit of the doubt, because it was an awful decision given he was able to watch it again.

NinjaFletch

That's because Aurier isn't the one playing him offside. Going by the actual final image it's the other defender's shoulder, I think:

I know, but they clearly spent ages drawing lines on Aurier first, and never once did they put them in the right place. If that doesn't send alarm bells at how this tech is being used then nothing will.

I'm also not sure that where they finally decide to put the line is actually closer towards goal than where a line from Aurier's shoulder would be.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yeah, that's nonsense. They used the right frame and when the line was at the Liverpool players foot (as opposed to dissecting it as in the picture you posted on the last page) Son was onside.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Just wondered what channel you took the screen shot of?
It's Super Sport "World of Champions" live feed of the game that got recorded.

Oh look VAR "helping" Spurs again today with a forensic arm offside call against Leicester and the usual suspects supporting VAR here... Plus ca change.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's Super Sport "World of Champions" live feed of the game that got recorded.

Oh look VAR "helping" Spurs again today with a forensic arm offside call against Leicester and the usual suspects supporting VAR here... Plus ca change.
Just like they "helped" Spurs by awarding Leicester a penalty.

Kag

Your whinge is all well and good but this one passes the eye test, in truth. It’s clearly (marginally) offside and the correct decision. As was the penalty call.

NinjaFletch

Your whinge is all well and good but this one passes the eye test, in truth. It’s clearly (marginally) offside and the correct decision. As was the penalty call.
Maybe, but that's all we're doing, really, isn't it? Asking people to draw lines at random with an etch-a-sketch and then ruling goals out by millimetres. It isn't 'technology', it's guessing.

NinjaFletch

And in more VAR wankery, we send a player off thanks to a Wilson dive, but can't get a correct decision when a player is clotheslined to prevent a goalscoring opportunity.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
So I just watched the situation with the Leeds centre back and James. What is the reason VAR didn't intervene on that one? No subjectivity involved, that is a clear mistake by the referee, it is a potential red card and a potential penalty as the player took James out on a counter attack 1vs1 with no man behind him. Put his arm out through his face and the ref missed that he caught his leg as well, which at that speed could make anyone fall over. Ref clearly just misread the situation and would have given the penalty if he was allowed to watch it again, or am I wrong? I do think it's possible that I'm a bit gullible and think change is coming, whilst it's probably much more likely these refs don't give a shit about consistency or integrity but rather "overall image" and perceived "fairness" such as claims like "United gets too many penalties, so I'll not be the one to give them any soft ones" But there you go, making a mistake based on your own fecked up bias, keeps the machine going creating inconsistency because of the lack of integrity and mental resilience to be dedicated in their profession. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but why wouldn't the situation with James even be reviewed? Why did the ref wait for 10 seconds then make such a dissatisfied face when he actually reluctantly gave a penalty to Martial anyway. Smells to me like he was predetermined not to give a penalty, similar to how Clattenburg was predetermined to think certain teams should win a game of football and would make his decisions based on notions like that.

I thought the league was compromised for a long time after Clattenburg exposed the refs and their leaders but with the implementation of VAR I thought it would become better. However, it hasn't and when stonewall penalties can just get brushed under the carpet without as much as a second glance 'just because a team scores too many goals', the integrity of the game is heading in a dark direction.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So I just watched the situation with the Leeds centre back and James. What is the reason VAR didn't intervene on that one? No subjectivity involved, that is a clear mistake by the referee, it is a potential red card and a potential penalty as the player took James out on a counter attack 1vs1 with no man behind him. Put his arm out through his face and the ref missed that he caught his leg as well, which at that speed could make anyone fall over. Ref clearly just misread the situation and would have given the penalty if he was allowed to watch it again, or am I wrong? I do think it's possible that I'm a bit gullible and think change is coming, whilst it's probably much more likely these refs don't give a shit about consistency or integrity but rather "overall image" and perceived "fairness" such as claims like "United gets too many penalties, so I'll not be the one to give them any soft ones" But there you go, making a mistake based on your own fecked up bias, keeps the machine going creating inconsistency because of the lack of integrity and mental resilience to be dedicated in their profession. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but why wouldn't the situation with James even be reviewed? Why did the ref wait for 10 seconds then make such a dissatisfied face when he actually reluctantly gave a penalty to Martial anyway. Smells to me like he was predetermined not to give a penalty, similar to how Clattenburg was predetermined to think certain teams should win a game of football and would make his decisions based on notions like that.

I thought the league was compromised for a long time after Clattenburg exposed the refs and their leaders but with the implementation of VAR I thought it would become better. However, it hasn't and when stonewall penalties can just get brushed under the carpet without as much as a second glance 'just because a team scores too many goals', the integrity of the game is heading in a dark direction.
A few reasons - but the main one is it was outside the box, so VAR can't do anything regardless (because it can't give free kicks)

Also, even if it was in the box I don't think there's enough for a foul/pen (its an arm across which happens all the time in football - if that was a pen Maguire would give a hundred penalties away per season), so I imagine VAR thought the same. VAR can't rescind yellow cards unless the decision is changed, so it has to stand as a yellow card.

RedDevil@84

James should have fallen down, then and there, outside the box. We may have gotten a freekick. James wouldn't have got the yellow.

I agree that the refs mood/bias/pre-determination makes the VAR ineffective..

MikeeMike

My take on this. Firstly it was 4-1 so not a critical decision. Second, the arm across was totally outside the box but James did full dive into the box, so saying, if you get a high arm block , a full forward sprawl looks like a dive.
Could easily have been a red card but cannot have been a penalty. I think the scoreline swayed the decision here.

I always look at ‘what if’. If that was an attacker blocking a defender on , say , a corner, it would be a foul 100% of time.

Yellow for diving was harsh though.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
@Annihilate Now! @RedDevil@84 @MikeeMike

Thanks guys. I think that's a stonewall penalty though. He actually caught his leg while moving across to make it hard for James, you can't do that. You can't use your arm in someones face while they're running past you either.

If it was outside the box they still need to review it to make sure, because it was right on the edge. If they review it and say no penalty but clear foul, they still have to give the red card for stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity and revoke the yellow card. That is the correct way of applying the current rules right? They can't give us the free kick though, so the decision to give them a free kick will have to stand. Which is a ridiculous thing, which is why they don't walk down that line and it's just lottery and perception from game to game how the rules will be applied for every team, just the same as before VAR.

Foxbatt

It's not only that issue with James. Wolves manager has complained about Lee Mason too. Is the standard going down?

MikeeMike

It's not only that issue with James. Wolves manager has complained about Lee Mason too. Is the standard going down?
I remember Rio doing something similar vs Arsenal (i think) Lundberg. Decisions that can be argued either way all night. I’m old school but that was part of why i loved the game. Now, VAR has centre stage.

rollingstoned1

not a regular serie a follower but it seems like every other big match match i see is marred by contentious var decisions. the milan lazio game is an example where both penalty decisions were very, very generous and soft imo but fortunately it didn't decide the game. i don't even see players protesting as much as they used to because of how accustomed they have become to it i guess.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Another manager now, Ole, says that you can’t celebrate goals anymore, similar to what klopp has previously said. Yet I’m sure I read in here that goal celebrations won’t be affected and anyone that brought it up was just crying or totally wrong about it

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How the ref didn't give a pen against Villa just then - even with VAR intervening and even having taken a look at the monitor I do not know.

Cash brings the man down and doesn't even skim the ball.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Same, it's sad.
Yep, always a hesitation to celebrate now, the delay is too long.

as soon as a goal is scored I’m too busy panicking and eyes scanning the field for raised arms or potential offsides, especially if there’s a lot riding on the game or a it’s a tense close one

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How the ref didn't give a pen against Villa just then - even with VAR intervening and even having taken a look at the monitor I do not know.

I think he might just have skimmed the polish on the leather. But yeah, my first thought was penalty when I just caught the halftime highlights

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID