Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

I think the ref blew the whistle before the goal didn’t he? Not sure mind. So VAR can’t look at it then anyway

CLASSIC VAR feckery there. Minor irritation without VAR. Referees are human after all. Incandescent rage with VAR.

The stupid fecking poxy load of shite has ruined goal celebrations in return for supposedly getting rid of obvious unfair decisions like that. It really is ruining the game.
Agree again. fecking football in the ass

Felt degea was shoved with some force.. foul anywhere else on the pitch.

Nothing in Maguires challenge.

Feel VAR depends on if the person behind it doesn't want to go against the refs decision.

Possible Fred pen..
Maguire disallowed v Burnley.
Martial disallowed v Sheffield United.

All since Klopp had his say about refs and us.

CLASSIC VAR feckery there. Minor irritation without VAR. Referees are human after all. Incandescent rage with VAR.

The stupid fecking poxy load of shite has ruined goal celebrations in return for supposedly getting rid of obvious unfair decisions like that. It really is ruining the game.

That's the thing isn't it.

Applying 'clear and obvious' to isolated incidents is maddeningly stupid. He's made two different decisions for the same thing happening, so one of them is obviously wrong.

Once you've set the precedent that the first is the goal, you have to give the second. Nobody wanted tech to be brought in to allow the referees to make even more inconsistent decisions.

I honestly don’t understand how VAR looks at that and goes “yes maguire fouled the keeper”.

I genuinely can not believe they rule our goal out, but give theirs.

Their keeper absolutely fluffs it. I genuinely was 100% certain they'd overrule the ref's decision and call it a goal for us.

This isn't vars fault though! Var showed both incidents perfectly and in slow motion. It's the officials

I wish people would stop saying this. It completely misses the point. VAR has pros and cons. The cons are the way they mess with the flow of the game and make most goals scored a little less joyous in real time. These are BIG cons.

The pros are supposed to be an end to obvious errors or unfair decisions. If we’re not getting those pros then the system is the flawed. Every system is only as good as its weakest link. If we can’t eradicate human fallibility what’s the fecking point of the stupid thing?

Fuming and a joke. Anywhere else on the pitch the push in De Gea’s back is a foul.

I wish people would stop saying this. It completely misses the point. VAR has pros and cons. The cons are the way they mess with the flow of the game and make most goals scored a little less joyous in real time. These are BIG cons. The pros are supposed to be an end to obvious errors or unfairness in those games. If we’re not getting those pros then the system is the problem because every system is only as good as its weakest link. If the system isn’t working, the system has failed.

I disagree with the weight you put on cons, and think clear footage to correct major decisions is worth it's weight in gold. The officials are rubbish.

VAR didn't look at it. Ref blew the whistle instantly, so VAR can't review it.
Eh? Why not? I thought the ref stopped to let VAR look at it?

Regardless then that’s another ridiculous part of VAR.

Just don’t see how you can’t have at least consistency in the same football match.

Just don’t see how you can’t have at least consistency in the same football match.
It’s mental, I honestly don’t get how you call that a foul, like you said some consistency.

Referee has been poor, not played on when he could have, called cheap easy fouls defenders win.

I find the "clear and obvious error" part of it perplexing.. its either a foul or it isn't

they should just look at each decision and call it for what it is

The refereeing of the two goals today so far has been shambolic. Even worse than our performance .

Sheffield United’s goal was more of a foul than ours. Player makes no attempt to play the ball, just deliberately pushes the keeper. Maguire, on the other hand, is clearly looking at the ball and if he does foul the keeper, it’s accidental.

Dave needs to show some kind of character imo. Should have made a meal of that push or got on the Ref's face to get something out of it.

The guy is just too timid.

Two exactly the same incidents in the same half of football, one given one not

unexplainable

Why de gea isn't making more of a deal out of that and at least bringing it to the refs attention is beyond me.

The fact that he didn't makes me think he didn't really think it was much of a push.

If he felt he'd been fouled you know he'd have been irrate.

DDG was impeded while he was jumping while SU GK fluffed the ball. What a joke! Maguire should have been in the face of officials but we didn't even complained. All it would have taken was one complain and goal would have been ruled out.

I disagree with the weight you put on cons, and think clear footage to correct major decisions is worth it's weight in gold. The officials are rubbish.
Football is there for the enjoyment more than the winning. Sure winning is great but kind of pointless if the sport has turned to shit

I honestly don’t understand how VAR looks at that and goes “yes maguire fouled the keeper”.

Yeah I’m not too sure how that was a foul. Maguire literally tried to challenge for the ball, no intent to go to the keeper. Don’t think he even touched Ramsdale, Ramsdale was the one made the contact.

That was a clear push on De Gea for their goal, this ref is a coward and we're too soft for not complaining.

I, like most people accepted the foul on De Gea. What pissed me off was us getting a goal disallowed for a lesser foul. Fecking infuriating.

Why do you keep trying to treat officials as distinct from VAR? They’re an integral part of it.
What do you think VAR is?

I'm talking about var in terms of the technology, and the process involved in reviewing to correct decisions.

Everybody watching at home, in an instant could see those incidents and correct them, or if you've decided the first isn't a foul, then allow the second to stand also.

Getting 'rid' of the var tech is pointless. Overall it corrects plenty.

Without it this thread would just be people complaining about not having it to correct the terrible officials mistakes.