Religion Discussion | Read the OP before posting

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
An investigation from Nieuwsuur, a Dutch program, unearthed that on at least 50 Dutch elementary schools people are being taught that Allah despises homosexuality and adultery. They retrieved textbooks with multiple choice exercizes where kids have to fill out the correct answer. One question:

Homosexuals and adulterers should be

A: whipped
B: Stoned to death
C: Killed with the sword

Apparently the ministry of education or whatever the feck you called it, know this and declared it not to be in conflict with the guidelines for education.

Can we please, seperate religion from education, pretty fecking please? In that way, normal religious people can still teach their kids the values of their religion, but they do it in their own time.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Taken from the Trump Thread

I'm not a great person to be asking these questions of, I'm not a highly educated Christian, just a pretty simple one but as far as I think I can't really talk much for the church of earlier times except to say that I think it was motivated as I've said before by people who wanted to use it for their own purposes, for power and greed and we struggle to divine what has been altered or not in the Bible's text at times possibly.

Today's churches spend a lot of time trying to make society and themselves relevant with the problems and issues that we have now and I'd rather the leaders of churches simply said "Who are we to judge?". Who are we to judge whether homosexuals can be christians and welcome in our congregations? Isn't that a conversation for individuals to have with God when it comes up?

Jesus didn't talk about us having buildings to congregate and worship in, he simply said wherever two or three are gathered in my name...etc. So, you can tell I'm a pretty simple christian after all. Do I go to church, yes, sometimes. Do I think I can tell who a Christian is? Maybe sometimes, maybe not but a man who lies in public office over 10,000 times, well, he is going to have a difficult conversation with God, as I am too.
Very well said oates, Even from your own number, men will rise up and distort the truth to draw away disciples after them. Acts 20:30
Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven Luke 6:37
When they continued to question Him, He straightened up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her." John 8:7
The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples made by human hands. Acts 17:24
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Matt 18:20.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
An investigation from Nieuwsuur, a Dutch program, unearthed that on at least 50 Dutch elementary schools people are being taught that Allah despises homosexuality and adultery. They retrieved textbooks with multiple choice exercizes where kids have to fill out the correct answer. One question:

Apparently the ministry of education or whatever the feck you called it, know this and declared it not to be in conflict with the guidelines for education.

Can we please, seperate religion from education, pretty fecking please? In that way, normal religious people can still teach their kids the values of their religion, but they do it in their own time.
In the case of a conflict between religious tradition and rights, rights should win out each time. This should be a fairly easy red line.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom

They should not be whipped, they should not be stoned to death, they should not be killed with the sword. They should not be judged by another sinner, God will judge them in his own fair way. As he will also judge you for your sin. No human being has the right to judge another human being.
But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. Romans 14:10

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
@Casanova85
From the OP

As the thread title clearly states - this thread is strictly for believers of various religions to discuss their views relative to the religious views of others. This is not a thread for Atheists to question religion - use the existing Religion thread for that. Violators will be thread banned.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I am a Christian. NOt Catholic or Protestant, I also do not think that Jesus was a Catholic, nor was he a Protestant :)
I edited to post to @Casanova85 and I'd quoted you first by mistake.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I am a Christian. NOt Catholic or Protestant, I also do not think that Jesus was a Catholic, nor was he a Protestant :)
But to address your point Saint Peter was the first Bishop of Rome, the first Pope. That's a fast line from Jesus to the first organised Church.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Point taken.

I'll see myself out.
To be fair you aren't the only one that forgets there's another thread for the atheists to pick religion apart, this one is for the religious to pick each others apart, maybe.

:)

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
But to address your point Saint Peter was the first Bishop of Rome, the first Pope. That's a fast line from Jesus to the first organised Church.
Sorry but you have it wrong, the Pope today has the same title as the ancient caesars "Pontifex Maximus" it means "Supreme Pontiff" The Pope is the descendant of the Caesars of ancient Rome.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Sorry but you have it wrong, the Pope today has the same title as the ancient caesars "Pontifex Maximus" it means "Supreme Pontiff" The Pope is the descendant of the Caesars of ancient Rome.
Pontifex Maximus was the Chief High Priest of Rome, it is one of the additional titles the Pope holds along with later the head of state of Vatican City. Saint Peter was still the first Pope. I think you are being picky over nothing.

I'm not bothered that you are neither catholic or protestant. But you can't say there's no connection with Christ for catholics.

Edit. Not sure what you are trying to argue about but Saint Peter was the first head of the Catholic Church whatever the title and that is still a direct line.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Pontifex Maximus was the Chief High Priest of Rome, it is one of the additional titles the Pope holds along with later the head of state of Vatican City. Saint Peter was still the first Pope. I think you are being picky over nothing.

I not bothered that you are neither catholic or protestant. But you can't say there's no connection with Christ for catholics.
Then who is the little horn that Daniel prophezised would come out of the old Roman empire and destroy 3 other horns? The pope is the Pontiff, he is the modern day Caesar. Many Catholics are very good people amongst them many of my family members. But the Catholic church is not a good organisation. I hope you get this one

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Then who is the little horn that Daniel prophezised would come out of the old Roman empire and destroy 3 other horns? The pope is the Pontiff, he is the modern day Caesar. Many Catholics are very good people amongst them many of my family members. But the Catholic church is not a good organisation. I hope you get this one
Sorry, haven't the time to watch your videos, not really interested tbh. There have been prophecies about the rebirth of the old Roman Empire translated as regarding the EEC and the EU and I have no clue what it means but the Revelations won't be avoided whatever we try to do.

I'd rather feel that not all parts of the Catholic Church are good. I think Pope Francis is trying to change some of the parts we don't like.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I'm sorry @Im red2, I've just had a look at the Shofar Ministries website and it looks like a lot of nonsense, really. Anti-evolution, all the stuff about God's 7000 year plan, conspiracy theories and also trying to sell some weird kind of blood testing, it's just down-the-rabbit-hole stuff.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Just Christian
so something like autodidact? but after reading the old and the new testament or only the new? I guess then the interpretation of the facts is personal too? That must be really difficult. Do you go to some Mass?

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
I'm sorry @Im red2, I've just had a look at the Shofar Ministries website and it looks like a lot of nonsense, really. Anti-evolution, all the stuff about God's 7000 year plan, conspiracy theories and also trying to sell some weird kind of blood testing, it's just down-the-rabbit-hole stuff.
I am not shofar ministries just thought that it would be helpful in my explanation, if you believe in Jesus Christ or to use his proper name "Yeshuah" then you need nothing else.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am a christian and that is part of my belief. I believe in the Bible, but not in any major religion.
Sorry but that doesn't make any sense.
Firstly. For someone to actually believe in the Bible takes a massive leap of faith.
And secondly. If you really do believe in what is written in the Bible, then you must by definition believe in God. And you must also believe in Jesus and that he is the son of God being Christ Almighty. And therefore, how can you not be a Christian.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Sorry but that doesn't make any sense.
Firstly. For someone to actually believe in the Bible takes a massive leap of faith.
And secondly. If you really do believe in what is written in the Bible, then you must by definition believe in God. And you must also believe in Jesus and that he is the son of God being Christ Almighty. And therefore, how can you not be a Christian.
Is it written in the bible that jesus is the son of god ?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Are there any Christians still present who believe Jesus was a prophet rather than a son?

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes.

Matthew 16:15-16: "Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven."

"And Jesus being baptized, forthwith came out of the water: and lo, the heavens were opened to him: and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him. And behold a voice from heaven, saying, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased" (Matthew 3:16, 17). "And there came a voice from heaven: Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased" (Mark 1:11; Luke 3:22).

"And lo, a voice out of the cloud saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased: hear ye him" (Matthew 17:5; Mark 9:6; Luke 9:35)

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I wonder how the anonymous writers of the books carefully selected to make up the Bible knew all of this stuff given that there are literally zero first hand accounts, or eye witnesses to Jesus. Never mind that the earliest book was written 30 years post his alleged death.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I don't know about that.
But when I was younger and regularly went to Church, that statement was made over and over again.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
26 versus in the Bible mention Jesus being the son of God. Not going to quote them.

Foxbatt

Interesting about the son of God. God was supposed to have revelation to Jesus. Where is it actually that says in that he was the son of God?
I am not trying to wind up anyone. Just wanting to know.