Renato Sanches joins Bayern

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I hope we aren't. I don't really care about our great fan base or massive revenues, we need to buck up on the pitch. For all the bashing of Woodward in this thread, it's just the easy route to take. How the feck is anyone supposed to convince a neutral that we are a better choice than Bayern atm?
We were easily miles ahead of Bayern from a footballing side just a few years ago.

This isnt all on Woodward, our decline precedes him, the problem for me is that I dont think he is good enough to get us out of it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Getting stuff done before a busy summer with the Euros and all that. Bayern doing good business.

Still watching that space though.
Tbh most German clubs tend to try to wrap up most of their business before the window opens. This unhealthy obsession with the deadline day seems to be mostly an English thing.
That being said it's still great from Bayern to wrap up two big signings this early.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think @Balu has confirmed this (price).
No, I know nothing about the price. I just said 35m that can rise to 45m sounds more reasonable, but honestly, no clue what's true at this point. If it's 35m+45m, then I'm a bit shocked to be honest.

Dobba

This would be true if we dropped interest but we didn't. It's has been widely reported for months that wooward and Benfica have been arguing over the nature of guaranteed payments and bonuses
After all the media hype last summer, when is Gaitán making his debut? Seems a bit strange that he's not been given an appearance all season long by Van Gaal.

Kag

It does look as if we've dithered on this one, and I'm not usually one to get up-a-height about our "embarrassing" transfer business.

I hope and pray we have a plan this summer. I'm convinced we do, but there's always that seed of doubt.

hobbers

Nothing wrong with hesitancy when you're talking about an 18 year old, who's played less than one full season in Portugal, and 80m euros.

Frankly I think we struck out with Martial and I don't think lightening will strike twice.

Natener

United signs Martial for bucketloads of money = media says "what a waste of money"
Bayern signs Sanches for bucketloads of money = media says "haha United lost out"
:wenger:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nah you were endorsing him, saying he would make it and making doomsayers feel better about having signed him.
Nope. You can cut the bs. I did my assessment of him from his time playing for us and again was pretty spot on for his inability to play as LB even countering an article from a portuguese reporter from the DN who said that he was a LB. I mean it was pretty easy for any Sporting fan to see since he played 99% of the time as CB so you can stop your bs. Yes, i lost plenty of time on this forum, translating articles and giving my opinion about his time at Sporting, helping out United fans who were asking me stuff, if you don't like it just ignore. I don't have time to put up with your pseudo bs.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
United signs Martial for bucketloads of money = media says "what a waste of money"
Bayern signs Sanches for bucketloads of money = media says "haha United lost out"
:wenger:
'United in Crisis' headlines ahoy.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
My assessment of Rojo was spot on actually. I said he wasn't good enough for us as LB and that he was competent as CB but had concentration and positional lapses. It was pretty clear. And it's pretty natural for players to struggle when moving to top leagues (even with bigger name players coming from the Serie A or La Liga to England). My assessment (not endorsement) was from his time playing for us. Pretty easy to understand for a football scholar like yourself.
You've probably answered it about 1000times on the Caf in the Sanches transfar sage, so sorry for asking you again, but what's your take on him? Why don't you rate him that highly? Is it just a maturity thing or a lack of ability? Feel free to copy an old post of yours or tell me to feck off because you've wrote it already so often, I'd understand that ;).

RedRover

Not bothered at all. Bayern can make these gambles considering that they have also the likes of Martinez, Thiago and Vidal in midfield. If the transfer doesn't work, they will lose 35m euros, but the results won't get affected. However if we bought him for a lot of money and the transfer doesn't work, then we would have lost money in addition to having to play Fellaini in midfield.

I don't want us to sign young players for a shitload of money, unless they are pretty much stars in the making, like Martial. Sanches can go either way, and isn't an attacker in the first place to command that much money. The beneficial thing on signing young players is that they cost cheap, but if you have to pay 35m (+45m in add ons), then it isn't a very shrewd business IMO.

Also, not all big money transfers from Portuguese League work, and as efficient as Bayern are, not each transfer they make works well. Still think that Bayern have made a very risky signing, which could go either way. I would much prefer if we go for a more safe transfer, considering that we need to improve the squad immediately, not 5 years down the line.
Having watched him a handful of times I'll temper my comments but to be perfect honest, he looks like he has all the tools to do very well. Strong, confident and looked like a player older than his years - very much like Martial in fact.

Not to want young, hungry players with something to prove is bizarre. The club can easily afford to take risks on players like this and frankly, Bayern not being a side who regularly blow mega-money on unproven players I think that says a lot about what they felt he was worth, and more about what he's going to be worth in the future.

Following your attitude we'd never have had Ronaldo - a player bought almost on a whim, for a pretty decent sum of money by those standards.

If United have watched him 24 times and talked with his agent this is utterly, utterly embarrassing. It sums this administration up - a very obvious inability to make decisions. People should remember how we used to do business. Quickly, quietly and efficiently.

Last edited:

cyberman

The fact that we played Benfica twice and certainly did a shitload of scouting and research as preparation for the games means the club has seen a lot more than just scouting reports of 2 games.

I agree that it's annoying to use this to bash United though. But that's the Caf these days, everything works as ammunition to have a shot at van Gaal/Woodward. That being said, transfer threads are always full of people with extreme opinions. Everyone is more often than not either worldclass or shit. You simply can't predict how transfers turn out, there are so many reasons why a transfer can fail, no matter if it's a young talent or an established player. It's good that we take risks to sign players with huge potential in an attempt to stay where we are though. You simply have to do that in football today, but many of the players won't turn out as brilliant as people initially thought.

In that regard us singing Götze and Thiago in 2013 is really comparable to Barca signing Fabregas and Sanchez in 2011. Both times the majority of people predicted that it would cement the place of the clubs at the top and both times it didn't work out that way. You gotta keep trying though. What else can you do with all that money football clubs make these days?
I honestly think Bayern are the best run club in the world but for some reason we use every transfer you make as a chance to rubbish our own club. It's not as if every major club have announced signings today and we're left standing in the corner like a lonley stepchild.
We are probably having to wait until CL football is confirmed either way before we can green light transfers. Even last year all our business (minus Martial) was concluded early in the summer. Morgan even said the deal was wrapped up mid February and that wasn't announced until late June if I remember.

prateik

Meh. Stayed out of the other thread. Crazy money for a kid.
I'm sure he has a lot of potential.. and might be great.. But I cant be upset about losing out on a Mendes client. I dont want him anywhere near the club.

Good thing this saga is over before I even started caring about it :lol:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I honestly think Bayern are the best run club in the world but for some reason we use every transfer you make as a chance to rubbish our own club. It's not as if every major club have announced signings today and we're left standing in the corner like a lonley stepchild.
We are probably having to wait until CL football is confirmed either way before we can green light transfers. Even last year all our business (minus Martial) was concluded early in the summer. Morgan even said the deal was wrapped up mid February and that wasn't announced until late June if I remember.
Yeah, it's a truely annoying trend on the Caf. Fully agree with that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
After all the media hype last summer, when is Gaitán making his debut? Seems a bit strange that he's not been given an appearance all season long by Van Gaal.
I know what you mean, but the club had always denied interest in Gaitan. If you bothered to follow the Sanches story, English journos on Twitter have said the club itself said it was in discussions with Benfica.

Robbie Boy

@Ish I completely agree, I mean there's nothing more masculine than 3 lads out in the open burning marshmallows :nervous:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
They're in the champions league, win trophies every season and their managerial situation is all sorted.

It's a no brainer really.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@K2K

Mais se informa que no acordo estão previstos valores adicionais, num montante global de € 45.000.000 (quarenta e cinco milhões de euros), dependentes da concretização de objetivos contratualizados e a ocorrerem até 30 de junho de 2021.

O Conselho de Administração

We also inform that aditional values are predicted in the deal, in global sum of 45 million euros, depending on the achievement of certain objectives in contract and occuring until 30 june 2021

The board of administration.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Google translate of the statement from Benfica's website says this:

Its 45 mil in total, which is 35 mil pounds at todays exchange rate.
According to Diario Noticias, it's 35m plus 45 in addons which means a possible 80m fee.

Vilev

They've paid 35m euros plus another 45m in potential bonuses according to Benfica which is pretty much the same amount we were getting linked to him with
My mistake then, i've read as 35m to 45m in euros, if it's 35+45 then it does look like the sort of money we would have paid.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Well that's shite news to come home to. Gotta respect the efficiency of Bayern's transfer dealings. Hummels and Sanches on the same day - quite impressive.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's one thing to be happy you didn't spend €80m on a teenager but to say he's not all that talented :wenger: He's clearly one of the best midfield prospects in Europe at the moment.
I meant in terms of his ability on the ball. His best attributes are his physicality and work rate, with his weakest being things like his passing. Thats more what I mean by natural talent on the ball.

Ventura

According to the "media", we could have had this deal sorted in February. On the other hand, the media is usually full of it ... but it really looked like there was something in this one. Wouldn't normally be bothered except for the numerous reports that we were 1 millimeter away from signing the guy.

We're going to have a terrible summer, aren't we.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@K2K

Mais se informa que no acordo estão previstos valores adicionais, num montante global de € 45.000.000 (quarenta e cinco milhões de euros), dependentes da concretização de objetivos contratualizados e a ocorrerem até 30 de junho de 2021.

O Conselho de Administração

We also inform that aditional values are predicted in the deal, in global sum of 45 million euros, depending on the achievement of certain objectives in contract and occuring until 30 june 2021

The board of administration.
Sorry for asking that, but does that mean the global sum of 45m Euros could be added? Or that the global sum of the transfer could be 45m ? It's really not 100% clear to me? Thanks for translating by the way.

legball

As I stated in the previous thread, I'm really not fussed, there are other better options for the money. €80m for him is madness, he's still very raw and considering our level, I maintain that we need players who can perform immediately. Bayern are well stocked in midfield, so the lad can take his time to find his bearing, he'll need to have started producing immediately at United and he is simply not ready for that. A good move for him. Let's look elsewhere. You can bash Woodward or United all you want, but this time, I'm on the side of the club. We were willing to pay €60m for Martial and did it pretty quickly, I think not signing Renato was not down to Woodward/or United being incompetent.

legball

Sorry for asking that, but does that mean the global sum of 45m Euros could be added? Or that the global sum of the transfer could be 45m ? It's really not 100% clear to me? Thanks for translating by the way.
€35 upfront and €45 in add ons. Total €80m.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If we'd agreed to pay that kind of money everyone would be slaughtering Woodward for "overpaying yet again".