Renato Sanches joins Bayern

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I have no idea what kind of player he is but didn't we apparently offer 60m euros for him(lot more than they bought him for)?
They got him for 80m Which we were hesitant to offer. Its like 45 in bonuses? We were offering 20m in bonuses i think.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He looks bang average? Have you ever watched him in depth? He was the second best player in our league after Jonas who was up there with Ronaldo and Suarez in the european top scorer charts, was considered best midfielder in the league, it's a rather unanimous player even with Benfica and Porto fans (something that Sanches doesn't achieve), is a portuguese international starter for the France Euro, was one of the most influencial players in one of the best generations of our U21 team who was runner up in last year's EuroU21 and was very good (perhaps our best player) in our Champions League campaign last year. If he is bang average what is Sanches?
av
Sanches is nothing big either. Anyway, I don't trust you anymore after your endorsement of mighty Rojo. Have you seen him, like a lab experiment gone wrong... David Luiz with an extra IQ downgrade.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm probably too late with this 3 liner a bud sent me:

11:09am Bayern sign Renato Sanches

11:42am Bayern sign Mats Hummels

12:01pm Woodward still in bed with LvG

:lol: the amount of aggro by some of our fans over not signing Sanches is a bit much, especially as I'd rate most haven't watched him enough, if at all (like said bud, above).

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
:lol: i'm guessing a lot of people are heartbroken right now.

hobbers

Maybe we were never strongly interested and Benfica were merely using the Portugese press to get more money out of Bayern...?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Maybe he simply preferred Bayern. Stop being fecking childish about it. Which club seems more attractive right now? People seem so shocked that it comes across as surprise that a player would choose Bayern over United.

It's a shame but I'm sure there's other targets.
We could have signed him up after the first or second or fifth or tenth positive scouting trip. Then the door is closed to Bayern and all others.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is just typical football Media. All the "in the know" newspapers said we were after him and then Bayern get him they're saying we were snubbed to cover their backs.
I highly, highly doubt there was enough interest to warrant a bid.
As somebody who didn't want him anyway I'm fairly pleased just in case we did end up paying god knows how much on him.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Its funny isnt it? Martial was way more proven anyways and clearly had bucket loads of talent along with the physical attributes... Renato is a defensive/box to box mid with the weakest part of his game being his technical attributes so I'm not convinced about him.

People freaking out because we missed out, but this is €80m for an 18 year old who isn't all that talented. I'm glad we arent just throwing it at anyone and scouted him properly instead of paying whatever right away.
It's one thing to be happy you didn't spend €80m on a teenager but to say he's not all that talented :wenger: He's clearly one of the best midfield prospects in Europe at the moment.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I know very little about Jao Mario. My post wasn't entirely serious. But the few clips of him doesn't suggest a player with the natural ability to be a top player, which is what we need. I could easily be wrong given the little I've seen of course. Just a first impression.

Not much but the clips I've seen suggest he's not got elite natural ability. Obviously I don't mean he's literally average.

What is Sanches? An 18 year old kid of course who was being chased by United and Bayern.
Well elite natural ability is what he absolutely has. But i'll be willing to let him do the talking when he eventually moves to a top european club this year as well. João Mário is attracting interest from top european clubs as well (United, Arsenal, Barcelona, Atlético Madrid are all part of the rumours).

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
@Adisa , I have to give it to you, you fought a good fight in the pro Sanches corner and it's sad that you were let down by our club.

On the other hand, I guess this teaches us that we can't trust our club to get things right!
Thought he'd have been great for us. I'm gutted tbh

Ish

Lights on for Luke
av
Sanches is nothing big either. Anyway, I don't trust you anymore after your endorsement of mighty Rojo. Have you seen him, like a lab experiment gone wrong... David Luiz with an extra IQ downgrade.
:lol: I'd hate to see your response to that @NL_Max lad after the Memphis signing

I'm a sad twat, I guess, for almost welcoming negative events now, as that's the only way I can see us making absolutely crucial changes. I guess I'm not the only sad twat though...
Don't worry Steve. I told you. Myself and @Robbie Boy are here for you. We can make a campfire, burn marshmallows and sing kumba-ya my Louis together. Again, nothing feminine about this setting. Very masculine.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Google translate of the statement from Benfica's website says this:

Please note that the agreement is planned additional amounts, a total amount of € 45,000,000 (forty- five million euros) , dependent on the achievement of goals and contracted to occur until June 30, 2021 .

The Board of Directors
Its 45 mil in total, which is 35 mil pounds at todays exchange rate.

vodrake

Spinning it the other way, if we've scouted him 24 times and Bayern have only scouted him twice, maybe we have a little bit of a better idea if he looks worth that much money or not...

Taxx

I think it's just boredom that causes people to be upset by this. It seemed like we were signing him, a young talent; a CM prospect along the lines of Martial. The fact that we've been lulled into extreme boredom causes people to lay their eggs in baskets like this a little easier, I think.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The golden rule - never blame the media or the club. Ultimately you were gullible enough to get excited by a reality that didn't exist.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not bothered at all. Bayern can make these gambles considering that they have also the likes of Martinez, Thiago and Vidal in midfield. If the transfer doesn't work, they will lose 35m euros, but the results won't get affected. However if we bought him for a lot of money and the transfer doesn't work, then we would have lost money in addition to having to play Fellaini in midfield.

I don't want us to sign young players for a shitload of money, unless they are pretty much stars in the making, like Martial. Sanches can go either way, and isn't an attacker in the first place to command that much money. The beneficial thing on signing young players is that they cost cheap, but if you have to pay 35m (+45m in add ons), then it isn't a very shrewd business IMO.

Also, not all big money transfers from Portuguese League work, and as efficient as Bayern are, not each transfer they make works well. Still think that Bayern have made a very risky signing, which could go either way. I would much prefer if we go for a more safe transfer, considering that we need to improve the squad immediately, not 5 years down the line.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Does this mean we doomed to have World Class Wayne trundling through our midfield for evermore?
*blubs*

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
:lol: I'd hate to see your response to that @NL_Max lad after the Memphis signing.
His name no longer marks red when you tag him, I think he has deleted his account after this fiasco... :(

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern gets all this love but signing a player after 2 scouting reports seems reckless rather than efficient.
How many of their recent signings have been total success'?
Costa tailed off after a fantastic few months. Gotze? Thiago who Sanches will probably replace? Benatia?
Anyway this is all being used to bash United. Ducker claiming on twitter that United not being able to tell targets who their manager will be..like City (!!) and Bayern shows how badly run we are.
The same Ducker who has written that Mourinho has agreed to replace LVG ffs.
The fact that we played Benfica twice and certainly did a shitload of scouting and research as preparation for the games means the club has seen a lot more than just scouting reports of 2 games.

I agree that it's annoying to use this to bash United though. But that's the Caf these days, everything works as ammunition to have a shot at van Gaal/Woodward. That being said, transfer threads are always full of people with extreme opinions. Everyone is more often than not either worldclass or shit. You simply can't predict how transfers turn out, there are so many reasons why a transfer can fail, no matter if it's a young talent or an established player. It's good that we take risks to sign players with huge potential in an attempt to stay where we are though. You simply have to do that in football today, but many of the players won't turn out as brilliant as people initially thought.

In that regard us singing Götze and Thiago in 2013 is really comparable to Barca signing Fabregas and Sanchez in 2011. Both times the majority of people predicted that it would cement the place of the clubs at the top and both times it didn't work out that way. You gotta keep trying though. What else can you do with all that money football clubs make these days?

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
The mendes mouthpeice speaks. Looks like they are pressuring united to sign mourinho.

Dé jonge god

Getting stuff done before a busy summer with the Euros and all that. Bayern doing good business.

Still watching that space though.

dichinero

Thought he'd have been great for us. I'm gutted tbh
After today I refuse to hope or dream of any player joining us. Despite not being totally convinced I let my hopes rest in the scouts if we actually signed him but instead we got royally Rick Roll'd

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
av
My assessment of Rojo was spot on actually. I said he wasn't good enough for us as LB and that he was competent as CB but had concentration and positional lapses. It was pretty clear. And it's pretty natural for players to struggle when moving to top leagues (even with bigger name players coming from the Serie A or La Liga to England). My assessment (not endorsement) was from his time playing for us. Pretty easy to understand for a football scholar like yourself.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
His name no longer marks red when you tag him, I think he has deleted his account after this fiasco... :(
Yeah, I literally just noticed that when I tried to tag him in.

It all makes sense now Kevin. Apparently Memphis has recently started deleting/minimising alot of his online accounts, like unfollowing a lot of people on twitter/insta whatever.

So clearly Memphis has been told to focus more on his football, and thus he thought it a good idea to delete his Caf account!

/sherlock

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This place will be glorious this summer.
Imagine it. Every player that moves anywhere will be a nail in Eds coffin. He'll just have to sign literally everyone.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Maybe we were never strongly interested and Benfica were merely using the Portugese press to get more money out of Bayern...?
This isn't true. Up until last week, the club was briefing it was confident of a deal.
Spinning it the other way, if we've scouted him 24 times and Bayern have only scouted him twice, maybe we have a little bit of a better idea if he looks worth that much money or not...
This would be true if we dropped interest but we didn't. It's has been widely reported for months that wooward and Benfica have been arguing over the nature of guaranteed payments and bonuses. The fee we would have paid is similar to what Bayern have. The problem her is what we spent months arguing about, Bayern have done in two days.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
My assessment of Rojo was spot on actually. I said he wasn't good enough for us as LB and that he was competent as CB but had concentration and positional lapses. It was pretty clear. And it's pretty natural for players to struggle when moving to top leagues (even with bigger name players coming from the Serie A or La Liga to England). My assessment (not endorsement) was from his time playing for us. Pretty easy to understand for a football scholar like yourself.
Nah you were endorsing him, saying he would make it and making doomsayers feel better about having signed him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Didn't we scout him around 7000 times over the last year?
And if that wasn't enough to convince us....

What's the fuss anyway? he never ever looked like the type of player we need in midfield!

When we're desperately crying out for a creative influence to replace Carrick people getting in a lather over a workhorse midfielder? I don't get it

Revan

Assumptionman
In addition, the 24 time is coming from a random journo, not from the club. Since Moyes was sacked, one thing we know for sure about United, is that journos know feck all on what we are doing or planning to do. Both Sanches and that other Portuguese midfielder a couple years back have been signed and scouted a dozen times according to newspapers, but who knows what is the truth. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the same case as the other Benfica player (Gaitan) whom from the media we signed and scouted twice a week.

Redo91

Didn't he start following us on social media and everything? A bit like Depay last year I thought this was a foregon conclusion.