Renato Sanches joins Bayern

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Just for the "feck Woodward" lovers. Woodward's signings and their prestige at the time;

2014/15:

- Luke Shaw - 18 years old and one of the league's best LBs. Might've been a Chelsea player if they didn't fold at his wage demands
- Angel Di Maria - no comment needed. Only other interested party was shackled by FFP, Overpaid.
- Falcao - no comment needed. Wasn't looking good prior to joining us anyway, and one of the most expensive loans of all time.
- Herrera - dynamic midfielder we were crying out for. Decent signing so far, but a lot of money for someone who might never be a starter.
- Rojo - Argentina's first choice LB at the WC. Will probably have left the club within the next 3-4 windows.
- Blind - great versatile player, amazing passer. Good signing.
- Valdes - injury prone but great free gamble. Sure. Not really an achievement though given that no one else needed him.

2015/16:

- Schneiderlin - rated best CDM in the league. Good signing.
- Schweinsteger - Germany's captain. Declining star collecting a sizeable wage for declining with us instead of Bayern.
- Darmian - Italy's first choice RB. Good signing.
- Romero - eh? :lol: I think the comment you're looking for is: Louis van Gaal.
- Martial - future potential (and look at what happened next). He was expected to play rotational duty to Memphis and Rooney, and we overpaid.

Yet you all think he's doing a rubbish job and dithers too much on transfers? I doubt we were even in for Sanches - we get used in the media every year by players/agents/clubs to drive up prices and push deals through. Get used to it.
He's doing about as well as someone with no transfer know-how or reputation would imo. No better or less.

Dobba

Yet you all think he's doing a rubbish job and dithers too much on transfers? I doubt we were even in for Sanches - we get used in the media every year by players/agents/clubs to drive up prices and push deals through. Get used to it.
Just to add to this, the same media were miles behind every single one of those signings you listed, the most hilarious being not even noticing Schneiderlin drive into Carrington while stood outside waiting for Schweinsteiger, yet still get their claims heralded as gospel every transfer window. Not just on here but seemingly absolutely everywhere.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Looks bang average to me.
Based on what I've heard from sporting fans and fans of opposing teams like porto and benfica, he is far more talented and been the best player in the portuguese league this year and way ahead of Renato currently (few years older though). Renato is the one who looked like all he had was a great engine, pace and was physically strong but nothing really about him technically speaking. Joao Mario is a lot more rounded with his on the ball ability.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Good points.

But in the interest of fairness, let's list all United's mistakes and embarrassments since Woodward took over:

1. Pursuing Fabregas when there was no evidence he wanted to leave Barca.

2. Being gazumped by Bayern for Thiago.
3. Claiming to be returning home from Australia 'on urgent transfer business' and then not doing any business at all.
4. The Ander Herrera fiasco on deadline day 2013.
5. Buying Fellaini for £4m more than his buyout clause (and about £27m more than he was worth).
6. Getting absolutely rinsed by Chelsea for Mata.

7. Pursuing Sergio Ramos when it was clear he was using United to get a new contract.
8. The De Gea fiasco.

I agree that we've bought some useful players over the last couple of years but we've been absolutely fleeced for all of them and we never had to outmuscle or outwit another club to get them. I'm sure most of the selling clubs were delighted we came in for them to be honest.

As has been said on this board innumerable times, Woodward is brilliant at bringing in money but terrible at spending it. Hope the Berta rumours are true and we can sort ourselves out in the transfer market.
1. Other than the fact he left Barcelona shortly afterwards
5. This one is on Moyes. He admitted to holding out for Baines as well.
6. This deal was praised as shrewd at the time, since he wasn't drawn into handing over Rooney. The fee was thought to be good value as well iirc.
8. Getting him to sign a new deal you mean?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Confusion over the fee. If they got him for what i say, then they got a great deal.
If they get him for 'just' the initial fee it means no addons are triggered. If no addons are triggered it would strongly suggest the transfer ended up not working out.

vodrake

Does anyone else find the difference in narrative weird between United spending 80m euros on an unproven 18 year old and Bayern doing the same.

It seems no matter what the outcome would have been it would have ended up with journalists and fans popping up all over twitter and forums to say how united have "embarrassed" themselves...

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Like it not, players are unlikely to give a feck about how many fans we have worldwide or how much profit we make every year as long as another club gives them a bigger chance at trophies and matches the salary on offer. Unless you're a United fan, Bayern Munich vs Manchester United is not a contest atm, harsh reality.
Thats the sad reality. We are struggling to make the top 4 in England. Bayern are regulars in the top 4 in Europe.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If Bayern wanted him he was never coming here. When you can't guarantee CL and you're not winning titles, you're down the pecking order.
We should have wrapped this up long before Bayern came in for him. We've been negotiating since January.

ghagua

That's how a top club signs a player. They don't wait around until minutes before the transfer deadline to sign their players. Their transfers are well planned and organized.

RedDevil@84

Does anyone else find the difference in narrative weird between United spending 80m euros on an unproven 18 year old and Bayern doing the same.

It seems no matter what the outcome would have been it would have ended up with journalists and fans popping up all over twitter and forums to say how united have "embarrassed" themselves...
Utd "clicks", quite literally

Varun

Staff
But why are we content with that?

We have the finances to match them, but are sadly miles behind them on the football side. Players might be more mecernary nowadays, but finances alone arent enough.

Bayern werent always this attractive either(The years they were losing league titles to Stuttgart and Wolfsburg for example).

We are a great financial institution, but not a very good football one to be honest.
I hope we aren't. I don't really care about our great fan base or massive revenues, we need to buck up on the pitch. For all the bashing of Woodward in this thread, it's just the easy route to take. How the feck is anyone supposed to convince a neutral that we are a better choice than Bayern atm?

FromTheBench

Quite possible we baulked at the figures and especially after recent performances were dithering while Bayern came in and swooped straight up.

cyberman

It won't be €80m just like Martial's fee won't be.
Bayern dominate their league. Wouldn't they more or less guarantee that all the clauses are met?
With Martial we could put goal scoring clauses etc in. What can Sanches have? Tackling clauses?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We can't sign every expensive young player. Need a couple of youngish but still ready to go / experienced signings

RedDevil@84

I hope we aren't. I don't really care about our great fan base or massive revenues, we need to buck up on the pitch. For all the bashing of Woodward in this thread, it's just the easy route to take. How the feck is anyone supposed to convince a neutral that we are a better choice than Bayern atm?
This. Under the current circumstances, any player outside England would prefer Bayern, unless of course they are fine with money. Or if they feel that they would have no opportunities at Bayern.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm a sad twat, I guess, for almost welcoming negative events now, as that's the only way I can see us making absolutely crucial changes. I guess I'm not the only sad twat though...

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Looks bang average to me.
He looks bang average? Have you ever watched him in depth? He was the second best player in our league after Jonas who was up there with Ronaldo and Suarez in the european top scorer charts, was considered best midfielder in the league, it's a rather unanimous player even with Benfica and Porto fans (something that Sanches doesn't achieve), is a portuguese international starter for the France Euro, was one of the most influencial players in one of the best generations of our U21 team who was runner up in last year's EuroU21 and was very good (perhaps our best player) in our Champions League campaign last year. If he is bang average what is Sanches?

CM

There are suddenly a lot more Sanches experts now he has signed for Bayern :lol:

It might well be bad news for us, but aren't people at least willing to see what we do before moaning about it? The season hasn't even finished yet, ffs.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
It's obvious what has happened anyway. Sanches was José's target, and now LvG is staying he's veto'd the deal in favour of his love child Fellaini.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
There was a poster who predicted that Bayern or another big club will come and snap him up, can't find the post but its spot on!
I predicted Bayern would get him in the other thread.

You don't play like that against Bayern and go unnoticed. But obviously the scouting talents of the Caf know better than Bayern, right? He'll suddenly turn into the best thing since sliced bread by those that kept saying he wasn't that good.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Bayern dominate their league. Wouldn't they more or less guarantee that all the clauses are met?
With Martial we could put goal scoring clauses etc in. What can Sanches have? Tackling clauses?
No idea, just reading the Caf there is supposed to be a "World Player of the Year" clause which is unlikely to be triggered. And even if they have to pay between €5m and €10 the next three summers, I don't think it'll really hurt them. If the whole fee ends up being close to €80m, it suggests that he would be well worth the gamble.

The club who ends up buying Joao Mario this summer will have made a bigger steal, imo. He's absolutely fantastic.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
There are suddenly a lot more Sanches experts now he has signed for Bayern :lol:

It might well be bad news for us, but aren't people at least willing to see what we do before moaning about it? The season hasn't even finished yet, ffs.
I agree mate. Scouting him 24 times was just a mere smoke screen. Smoke everywhere now, no one knows what we are up to, but just you wait to we pull it out the bag, it'll be a biggie.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Meh, he was out of shape anyhow...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I have no idea what kind of player he is but didn't we apparently offer 60m euros for him(lot more than they bought him for)?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's obvious the player thought he was heading here. He started following us on Instagram ffs.
People don't get the criticism of Woodward. Officials from both Benfica and Man utd had briefed the we had been negotiating since January. Bayern only came in two days ago. It's a feck up. Can't dress it up any other way.

FromTheBench

I suppose We could pay more and the EPL as a league and global franchise is more attractive than Bundesliga, but yeah tough to compete with Bayern on footballing side.

CM

I agree mate. Scouting him 24 times was a smoke screen. Smoke everywhere, but just you wait to we pull it out the bag, it'll be a biggie.
Because that's what I said.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Its funny isnt it? Martial was way more proven anyways and clearly had bucket loads of talent along with the physical attributes... Renato is a defensive/box to box mid with the weakest part of his game being his technical attributes so I'm not convinced about him.

People freaking out because we missed out, but this is €80m for an 18 year old who isn't all that talented. I'm glad we arent just throwing it at anyone and scouted him properly instead of paying whatever right away.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Maybe he simply preferred Bayern. Stop being fecking childish about it. Which club seems more attractive right now? People seem so shocked that it comes across as surprise that a player would choose Bayern over United.

It's a shame but I'm sure there's other targets.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Based on what I've heard from sporting fans and fans of opposing teams like porto and benfica, he is far more talented and been the best player in the portuguese league this year and way ahead of Renato currently (few years older though). Renato is the one who looked like all he had was a great engine, pace and was physically strong but nothing really about him technically speaking. Joao Mario is a lot more rounded with his on the ball ability.
Renato is a kid, though. Jao Mario is going to be 24 half way through next season. They are not comparable at all. Being well ahead of Renato isnt' a feat.

I know very little about Jao Mario. My post wasn't entirely serious. But the few clips of him doesn't suggest a player with the natural ability to be a top player, which is what we need. I could easily be wrong given the little I've seen of course. Just a first impression.

He looks bang average? Have you ever watched him in depth? He was the second best player in our league after Jonas who was up there with Ronaldo and Suarez in the european top scorer charts, was considered best midfielder in the league, it's a rather unanimous player even with Benfica and Porto fans (something that Sanches doesn't achieve), is a portuguese international starter for the France Euro, was one of the most influencial players in one of the best generations of our U21 team who was runner up in last year's EuroU21 and was very good (perhaps our best player) in our Champions League campaign last year. If he is bang average what is Sanches?
Not much but the clips I've seen suggest he's not got elite natural ability. Obviously I don't mean he's literally average.

What is Sanches? An 18 year old kid of course who was being chased by United and Bayern.

We need an rvn

Doesn't matter if the season is over or not, neither is Bayern's. Whilst we don't know whether we were even interested or not / not willing to meet the fee set by Benfica etc is not the point. I think people are getting wound up by the face one of our European rivals has just snapped up an apparent target for us while we appeared all over the papers to be in the driving seat.