Music Revival - Eminem Album | Also Kamikaze

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't know, the Ed Sheeran and Lupe Fiasco song is good

youngrell

My mate sent me a text excitedly asking if I had listened to Em's new album yet, my response was that I haven't listened to the previous 3 yet.

I've always seen Eminem as a very good rapper, who shines on guest spots and the occasional solo track, but never one to put together a completely great album.

Little intention to listen to the album and even less so reading these reviews.

JoaquinJoaquin

How many icons actually stay at the top of their game as they age? Struggling to think of any at all.

It’s no shock that 45 year old Eminem no longer had his finger on the pulse. He got where he was through pure dedication and determination. I doubt he spends even a fraction of he time he used to on his music.
Jay-Z just released a great album. Arguably his 3rd or 4th best ever.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Sure, but my main point is that popular hip hop has always relied on the beats more than the raps. If rapping was the main draw (which it largely should be, obviously) then Big L would be as feted as Biggie & 2Pac, Deck & GZA would be the most popular Wu Tang members, Chester P & Jehst would be bigger than any UK Grime artist, and Canibus would have a career.

Sad fact of the matter is that beats maketh the man in commercial rap. Middling artists like 50 Cent can become legends off the back of a single banging beat. And while Eminem was admittedly one of the few rappers to blow up in the 90s to actually deserve his success, it was nevertheless the result of Dre’s promotion, and populist hit factory beats (made in his halcyon 2001 era) that made him such a star.

And don’t get me wrong, the two tracks I’ve listened to off this album are easy better lyrically than 90% of the shit that’s popular now. But as a contemporary release, I can see why it hasn’t landed. It’ll probably date quite well. But if it cant be played at clubs, or over montages, it’s got no cultural currency. His SS and MM beats may not have been classics, but they were zeitgeist at the time. His rapping hasn’t got any worse, he just hasn’t rapped over anything relevant for an age.
"Critics wanna mention that they miss when hip hop was rappin’. Motherfecker if you did, then Killer Mike'd be platinum"

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Hot garbage.

lsd

The Oracle
"Critics wanna mention that they miss when hip hop was rappin’. Motherfecker if you did, then Killer Mike'd be platinum"

Or a lot of rap fans just don't like killer Mike I know I don't.

lsd

The Oracle
You know that was a quote, right?

I know but it's true I get so fed up people saying you don't like rap unless you like killer Mike and the run the jewels stuff .I love rap and find run the jewels boring as anything

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I know but it's true I get so fed up people saying you don't like rap unless you like killer Mike and the run the jewels stuff .I love rap and find run the jewels boring as anything
It was in reference to Mockney's point about lyrical content verses beats. Nobody has said if you don't like RTJ you don't like rap.

Son Of Sam

Been listening to it all day. I like it, but there was no shady voice which I guess is to be expected?
Untouchable and believe are probably my favourites so far.
Untouchable was incredible - he blacked out and rapped his ass off especially in the 2nd half of the song. The album is good but it’s completely off-tangent from his Slim Shady persona.

I think Eminem has outgrown that evil darkside. This one was more political than the sinister serial killing vibes his earlier albums all possessed. He will certainly rack up few grammies for this one.

lsd

The Oracle
Untouchable was incredible - he blacked out and rapped his ass off especially in the 2nd half of the song. The album is good but it’s completely off-tangent from his Slim Shady persona.

I think Eminem has outgrown that evil darkside. This one was more political than the sinister serial killing vibes his earlier albums all possessed. He will certainly rack up few grammies for this one.

You think ?hopefully not over Kendrick

We need an rvn

My mate sent me a text excitedly asking if I had listened to Em's new album yet, my response was that I haven't listened to the previous 3 yet.

I've always seen Eminem as a very good rapper, who shines on guest spots and the occasional solo track, but never one to put together a completely great album.

Little intention to listen to the album and even less so reading these reviews.
Thanks for the opinion on Eminem. As it's a thread on "revival" either listen to it or stay out

haram

He's winning feck all for this trash. The album isn't good.

We need an rvn

Your only contribution to the thread is to tell someone to stay out of thread for being slightly off topic?

Sound.
Because I'm still working my way through it. Better to keep quiet until I've heard it all in my time rather than call it without even listening to it no.

And as @Dirty Schwein says
You Might be young, you might be grell...but your posts fecking smell

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Just listened to those two. Enough people will like River to make it a hit, I think. The first one is worthless.

We need an rvn

Lol, let's hope there's better lyrics on Revival ;)
And I was just warming Up!! Listened to it. After all that, don't waste your time :lol::lol:

To be fair I actually like the Beyonce, walking on water one a bit, it's different. Talking about washing out the bleach sounds like he knows he ain't the mustard anymore. I know it's not proper hip hop but so what.

All I need is to like a song on two on an album for me to say it's ok. Last album I bought where I loved more than 3 was chili peppers' stadium arcadia.

R'hllor

I am probably way late on this but just heard Chloraseptic remix, he might not like reviews of Revival that much

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Needs to get back on drugs , the dark comedic Shady is what made him so great.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Needs to get back on drugs , the dark comedic Shady is what made him so great.
His music really does always seem to reflect where is in his life and he's not that guy anymore unfortunately (obviously good for him he's not taking drugs anymore). I've appreciated some of his more recent stuff that has been slated by others because he is still jaw droppingly good at times, even though he isn't what he once was in terms of style and pushing boundaries. But I can't bring myself to listen to Revival again.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
His music really does always seem to reflect where is in his life and he's not that guy anymore unfortunately (obviously good for him he's not taking drugs anymore). I've appreciated some of his more recent stuff that has been slated by others because he is still jaw droppingly good at times, even though he isn't what he once was in terms of style and pushing boundaries. But I can't bring myself to listen to Revival again.
Agree mate , he shouldn't get back on the drugs as it almost killed him, just said it for selfish reasons as I loved the crazy Shady. It's a shame that side of him is gone. Even his later albums had the odd funny songs like Rain man, now it seems he's completely cut it out. Strange how much he's changed though earlier in his career he would be taking the piss out of Ed Sheeran, now he's making music with him. Still a GOAT for me though, first few albums were classics.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Is he still doing old stuff in his shows or only Revival and his more recent releases? I'm gonna watch him in July and am really hoping he still does some early 00's stuff although I doubt it.

Last time I saw him live he sucked balls, didn't even get the city he was playing in right, playbacked all the time and was off numerous times, so he'd better be good this time. I like River and a few other songs but he's definitely declined since his early days, unsurprisingly.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Well it can't be any worse than the last one.

binary bot
It's a lot better. Still some questionable hooks that ruin some songs. First time listening to Joyner Lucas, him and Royce are my two highlights.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's a lot better. Still some questionable hooks that ruin some songs. First time listening to Joyner Lucas, him and Royce are my two highlights.
You should check more stuff by Joyner. Really talented rapper.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
That Joe Budden line :lol:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So much better than the Revival shit.