g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itso 7

Again, are we over reaching? They play for sides of guaranteed champions league football and a reasonable chance of winning the league and champions league. I would say dortmund and atletico are in the tier just below the elite teams. Where are we? Our level is not even competitive for Champions League, not good enough to win the Europa and not good enough to challenge domestically. sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade. Is the money offer going to be enough to join a club at our level as I've never seen that kind of move before?
Whilst its difficult to know a player's mind I think you're overstating your case when you say its never happened before. City, a few years ago, were getting players like Yaya Toure, Aguerro, Nasri and Silva without Champions League football or the benefit of whatever pedigree we still have left. Remember I am not saying we will definitely get them but given the wages they are on, what we are capable of paying them and if we appear like we arw sorting the managerial situation its not impossible. We did sign Di Maria, after all.

Fer

Dembele has scored 10 goals in 19 games. That's impressive for a winger. He looks like the next big thing.

It would be great to have players with skills and pace on the wings. Imagine a 442 with Dembele and Mahrez as wingers with Martial and Kane on top.

Devil may care

Dembele is off to Bayern, so I guess Mahrez or Sane, I just hope we don't opt for mediocrity like Mane or Anderson.

Devil may care

Jesus :lol:

No he isn't.

One random speculative report and already it's taken as the foundation for further hand wringing :lol:

The @Rado_N theorem in full display

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/footy-forum-theory-spinning.415802/
That's cute yet bares no resemblance to what I said at all, I wasn't upset, or any other emotion, I thought the story had been confirmed and merely said so and suggested a couple of other options, to which you respond with this nonsense.

Stacks

Whilst its difficult to know a player's mind I think you're overstating your case when you say its never happened before. City, a few years ago, were getting players like Yaya Toure, Aguerro, Nasri and Silva without Champions League football or the benefit of whatever pedigree we still have left. Remember I am not saying we will definitely get them but given the wages they are on, what we are capable of paying them and if we appear like we arw sorting the managerial situation its not impossible. We did sign Di Maria, after all.
Only Yaya and Silva were bought before they played champions league football. Yaya wasn't wanted at Barcelona and only City were chasing hard. Silva was at broke-ass Valencia who had limited upside potential. Clubs like Atletico and Dortmund are genuine competition for the other teams around Europe in terms of trophies. Plus other sides will want them too

Mike09

People have been mentioning Dembele, either because they only look at stats or watch youtube or they are actually watching him in actual match 90 minutes. Anyway due to his age and being inexperience he's clearly still too raw to be our first choice every games to carry a big club like Manchester United with high expectation and we clearly already have enough young players in our attackers and wingers even in defense as well. Rennes won't sell him cheaply as well because he is labelled as a young prospect with talent and potential. I prefer to focus the money on top or experience players first.
Mahrez is the man IMO because he's much more matured and much more sense to pay a lot to someone who has been player of the season so far. Leicester might have Champion League next season or possibility of winning the league this season but we have more power in money and reputation to sign players from Leicester. We saw what happen when Dortmund won the league two times in a row, Bayern could still attract their top players.

Devil may care

Mane and Moura all day long!
I've never hidden the fact I think Mane is mediocre and has a poor attitude as well, but I don't see how buying both would make sense as Mane isn't even a winger, he's really an AM/#10 type that drifts out wide and offers nothing but crosses when stuck out on the right. Lucas Moura is a proper RW and I could see bringing him in, but both would be excessive as Martial starts on the left.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I've never hidden the fact I think Mane is mediocre and has a poor attitude as well, but I don't see how buying both would make sense as Mane isn't even a winger, he's really an AM/#10 type that drifts out wide and offers nothing but crosses when stuck out on the right. Lucas Moura is a proper RW and I could see bringing him in, but both would be excessive as Martial starts on the left.
Mane should be bought in my opinion as he can play all 4 forward positions. He offers goals, an abundance of pace, aggression and he is a great age. Yes he's not blue chip but he certainly has the tools to be and at worst he'd be a great asset to our squad. I can't see the drawback to signing this lad.

Devil may care

Mane should be bought in my opinion as he can play all 4 forward positions. He offers goals, an abundance of pace, aggression and he is a great age. Yes he's not blue chip but he certainly has the tools to be and at worst he'd be a great asset to our squad. I can't see the drawback to signing this lad.
The main drawback is that he's not all that good and only has games here and there where he produces a bit of quality, his scoring and assist record is poor and he's not a kid to excuse such inconsistency. He can only plays 3 of the forward positions as he's not a #9 but in truth he only plays well in the #10 role and there are better options for that role out there. However I was more curious about how buying him and Mours for roughly £70M combined would work without one of them just being a high price bench option?

Lawman

The main drawback is that he's not all that good and only has games here and there where he produces a bit of quality, his scoring and assist record is poor and he's not a kid to excuse such inconsistency. He can only plays 3 of the forward positions as he's not a #9 but in truth he only plays well in the #10 role and there are better options for that role out there. However I was more curious about how buying him and Mours for roughly £70M combined would work without one of them just being a high price bench option?
Moura can play left or right as he has done with PSG. Mane can play all the positions both are better than what we have currently in the right wing and SS and possibly left wing. What's not to like?

Devil may care

Moura can play left or right as he has done with PSG. Mane can play all the positions both are better than what we have currently in the right wing and SS and possibly left wing. What's not to like?
Moura plays almost exclusively on the right and isn't very good on the left the odd time he's played there, plus we don't need anyone for the left as Martial will start most games there and Memphis is the back-up LW. Mane can only play well in one position and even then he's not very good, as for what's not to like? Well to me the fact that Mane isn't very good, him being better as a SS than a clapped out Rooney or Mata isn't a reason to buy him IMO, we should aim much higher, and for the RW Mahrez is much better if we are shopping in the PL.

Lawman

Moura plays almost exclusively on the right and isn't very good on the left the odd time he's played there, plus we don't need anyone for the left as Martial will start most games there and Memphis is the back-up LW. Mane can only play well in one position and even then he's not very good, as for what's not to like? Well to me the fact that Mane isn't very good, him being better as a SS than a clapped out Rooney or Mata isn't a reason to buy him IMO, we should aim much higher, and for the RW Mahrez is much better if we are shopping in the PL.
Prefer Mane to Mahrez if I am being honest.

Mike09

Shocking to read this to be honest. But why? Mahrez this season seems to have a better end of product, more intelligent and basically better in everything except for strength. And even based on price Mane for 30m is overpriced and not worth it. And I heard Mahrez's great performance didn't start this season but at the end of last season.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Some names to throw; Felipe Anderson, Bernardeschi, Inaki Williams, Bellarabi, Mina, Feghouli, Lucas Moura, Bernardo Silva, Berardi who are all pretty attainable (if we don't get Champions League football) unlike the Bale's and Griezmann's of the transfer market.

Share your thoughts...
Felipe Anderson :drool:

Lawman

Shocking to read this to be honest. But why? Mahrez this season seems to have a better end of product, more intelligent and basically better in everything except for strength. And even based on price Mane for 30m is overpriced and not worth it. And I heard Mahrez's great performance didn't start this season but at the end of last season.
Just think Mane is very hard to deal with due to his pace and directness would love him here. Mahrez is a good player no doubt and wouldn't say no to him here obviously but I just prefer Mane. This team needs pace and directness imo Mane would add more than Mahrez to us.

legball

I know his not an out & out winger (but what team uses those these days) - but for me, we shouldn't look past Griezmann if we have serious ambitions.

Fer

I know his not an out & out winger (but what team uses those these days) - but for me, we shouldn't look past Griezmann if we have serious ambitions.
I agree, Griezmann playing behind the striker or in a front of 3 would be great. We need a smart player like him. I hope we can attract a player like him in the summer.

Fer

What about signing 2 wingers? For example, Mahrez and Dembele. So we could have in a 4231:

Martial/Rooney
Dembele/Memphis - Mata/Rooney - Mahrez/Dembele
With Schneiderlin, Blind, Herrera, Schweinsteiger, Fosu-Mensah and maybe Renato Sanches as options in our midfield. Also, some opportunities to Pereira, Januzaj and Rashford in the attack.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Wanted Griezmann since his days at Sociedad, very annoying that the United board seems to dither too much, players available like Thiago Silva, Aguero etc in the past, not even bids placed, even Pep this year.

Needs to stop and start being a first choice destination for players and actually having a plan in place.

the hea

Dembele would be my first choice but if we can't get him Sane or Mahrez will have to do.

As long as a new right winger is on the top of our priority list for the summer I'm at least satisfied.

Fer

Griezmann, Dembele, Mahrez, Sane and Moura should be the main targets. I think we need to sign 2 attacking players.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We need Griezmann irrespective of where he plays. He's too good to not buy. The fee would be offset by getting Ibra for free.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Griezmann now plays as a RW with France. My preferred French player at the moment.

- Very versatile.
- Successful with Real Sociedad and Atletico Madrid.
- Excellents stats
- Young
- Excellent positive mentality

Regarding Lucas Moura, he will be easily part of your starting 11 but he still lacks finishing. Not a priority.

Dembele, very young talented player: we have to look at his release clause but he can't be our offensive leader (18y)

Mahrez
: I am not sure if he is able to repeat his performances next year

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need Griezmann irrespective of where he plays. He's too good to not buy. The fee would be offset by getting Ibra for free.
Griezmann is such a no-brainer. I'm surprised there's not more noise regarding us signing him. The club's seems to want marquee signings badly and he's the only clearly gettable one out there.

EDIT: Forgot the thread I'm in. He's also not a right winger. He'd be great as a #10 behind Ibra/Martial.

amolbhatia50k

If Dembele is as talented as made out to be, then him. Otherwise Sane would be great.

Lucas Moura with his pace sounds ideal, but apparently he's very inconsistent.

Mahrez has had a terrific season but I get the feeling that he'd be good for us and not more than that.

amolbhatia50k

From what I've seen Mane appears to prefer playing in the middle, much like Greizmann, apart from being half as good of course. I don't think I'd put him in the category of Mahrez, Dembele, Sane, Moura etc who are all wide forwards/wingers.

dichinero

I don't why people are considering Griezmann as a RW option, we should get him anyway, just because but not as an option at RW but upfront. He is best deployed as an SS. As far as RW goes, Dembele is the only one I would consider. Not Mane not Moura!

bucky

If Dembele is as talented as made out to be, then him. Otherwise Sane would be great.

Lucas Moura with his pace sounds ideal, but apparently he's very inconsistent.

Mahrez has had a terrific season but I get the feeling that he'd be good for us and not more than that.
I don't think he is. He just isn't trusted as much as other players and doesn't start games regularly. If some team would start him regularly, he'd deliver IMO.

Lawman

From what I've seen Mane appears to prefer playing in the middle, much like Greizmann, apart from being half as good of course. I don't think I'd put him in the category of Mahrez, Dembele, Sane, Moura etc who are all wide forwards/wingers.
Mane for me is such a good buy. Pace, aggression and directness all what we lack. Plus he is a great age and can play anywhere in the front 4.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we get Mourinho in, then I'd assume he would want a hard working right winger as he usually likes having one hardworking one while the other is the main attacking force (would be Martial on the left for us). He had that with Ronaldo at Madrid, Hazard at Chelsea and Robben at Chelsea. Don't remember what he had for Inter and Porto. Sneijder and Deco? Though they were more the attacking mids. Either way, I think he'd want a Willian type on the right. So I'm not sure Mahrez fits that, while Valencia/Young could definitely play big roles (more likely as squad players though).
Griezmann is probably his ideal signing to be our #10 but that's unrealistic for now.

ravi2

If we get Mourinho in, then I'd assume he would want a hard working right winger as he usually likes having one hardworking one while the other is the main attacking force (would be Martial on the left for us). He had that with Ronaldo at Madrid, Hazard at Chelsea and Robben at Chelsea. Don't remember what he had for Inter and Porto. Sneijder and Deco? Though they were more the attacking mids. Either way, I think he'd want a Willian type on the right. So I'm not sure Mahrez fits that, while Valencia/Young could definitely play big roles (more likely as squad players though).
Griezmann is probably his ideal signing to be our #10 but that's unrealistic for now.
I don't think Griezmann is that unrealistic, he is a long standing fan of MUFC and we have the money.
The real problem here is would Woodward pay his release clause which stands at €80m, or would be feck around and try to "negotiate".

I hope Griezmann is Jose's primary target when he gets here.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's essential we get a Mourinho calibre manager in to have any chance of signing most of those players mentioned in this thread without CL football.

Status
Not open for further replies.