RiP's guide to Euro 2016 in Frogland

vanthaman

Winner
Will they be doing park and ride schemes? bit worried that our hotel is too far out from Lens and getting a taxi after the game might be a bit hard

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I'm looking to purchase tickets through viagogo for WC vs 3A/B/F - Round of 16 - UEFA Euro 2016
and all the tickets are sold by Categories. UEFA has announced where the row and seat numbers of all the tickets, so is there a way of finding out what these are instead of just purchasing via category?
Depends when they were purchased I'd say. I've gotten a few tickets on the resale portal, as yet I only know the category but no seat number or rows. So I don't think everyone knows yet

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Depends when they were purchased I'd say. I've gotten a few tickets on the resale portal, as yet I only know the category but no seat number or rows. So I don't think everyone knows yet
Very annoying tbh. I want to sit in category 1 and I want to be as close as possible to the pitch. I hate guessing as to where I'll be sitting.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Very annoying tbh. I want to sit in category 1 and I want to be as close as possible to the pitch. I hate guessing as to where I'll be sitting.
They can't announce it yet as they will allocate group tickets together now, or try to at least and fill gaps etc. Some games still have tickets for sale also. You'll know mid May when they begin to distribute them.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Bit of a bump but I am looking for some final tickets and was wondering if spending hours on the resale portal would be worth it or not.

Has anyone seen any tickets for it pop up at all on the portal?

@Spiersey @Mr Anderson (As I can see you both have been on there)
In my hunt for Ireland tickets, I saw them crop up on the resale portal alright. They were gone quick enough.

The resale section is now closed as they sold as much as they could across all matches, limited availability for all matches was released last week (restricted viewing etc) and now they are sold out as well for the popular matches. So I don't think you will get them through the portal at all.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
@Rooney in Paris My friends and I are in Paris on 14th - 17th June and catching the Germany Poland game on the 16th. Can you recommend any good bars/clubs for us whilst we are there? I've been to Paris before but with the Mrs!

Also same for Marseille as we are there earlier in the week but guessing there is less options there...

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
@Rooney in Paris My friends and I are in Paris on 14th - 17th June and catching the Germany Poland game on the 16th. Can you recommend any good bars/clubs for us whilst we are there? I've been to Paris before but with the Mrs!

Also same for Marseille as we are there earlier in the week but guessing there is less options there...
Can't help for Marseille, but for Paris: around St Michel (which is a metro station), you have a few cool pubs (Corcoran's, The Great Canadian). It's a lively district so there's quite a few places to go. I also suggest Bastille which is always buzzing with loads of bars and restaurants.

Also, if the weather is nice, Canal St Martin is a canal in the north east of the city, just buy some booze in a supermarket and spend the evening there, there's always loads of people and great atmosphere.

In my opinion it's literally the worst decision ever made.
I have to agree.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I thought it might be useful for people who are coming to France for the Euros to be aware of the strikes that might occur.

At present there are a lot of strikes against the labour laws and it looks set to continue during the Euros - train strikes, petrol strikes etc etc

Tuesday June 14th has been chosen for a National Strike

Below is a link showing when strikes (grèves) will take place and is updated - however it is in french:

http://www.cestlagreve.fr/

Really hope these strikes do not disrupt the Euros

Maxii

Paad
Has anyone used stubhub for buying tickets? It keeps directing me to their German site when I look for tickets

Deleted member 101472

Fantastic write up guys , but why no mention of La Duree?! Those macarons are one of my favourite memories of Paris , don't care how feminine it is ! @Rooney in Paris

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Although reading the OP again, there's some great advice in there already. Cheers @Rooney in Paris!
I don't know Lille that well, but some of the info I put in there is from a friend of mine who lived there for a while. If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll pass on to him.
Fantastic write up guys , but why no mention of La Duree?! Those macarons are one of my favourite memories of Paris , don't care how feminine it is ! @Rooney in Paris
:lol: Yeah good shout, but it was impossible to synthetize all the marvels of French gastronomy in one post :) If you like Ladurée, you have to try Pierre Hermé macarons, I find them even better.

Deleted member 101472

I don't know Lille that well, but some of the info I put in there is from a friend of mine who lived there for a while. If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll pass on to him.

:lol: Yeah good shout, but it was impossible to synthetize all the marvels of French gastronomy in one post :) If you like Ladurée, you have to try Pierre Hermé macarons, I find them even better.
My girlfriend is obsessed with La Duree like you wouldnt believe - shes fluent in french too ( well, the french canadian version) so we wound up with a few free macarons

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
If anyone is going to Lyon and needs a bit of help just give me a shout, I've been there a couple of times now.

And a useful website for car pooling https://www.blablacar.fr/, especially for instances such as Lyon airport where the only way to get to the city costs 14 euros one way.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Are there any websites where people are selling unwanted tickets? Want 3/4 for the Ireland vs Italy game in Lille.

vanthaman

Winner
Just seen that the lens fanzone is only showing 27 games. And is not open on the two non match days I am there, ridiculous

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Any Parisians familiar with Belleville? Staying there for 3 nights from Friday, got a few plans but wanted to know any decent bars that'll show the France match or England Saturday? Assuming the fan zone is closed during the Paris matches!

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Any Parisians familiar with Belleville? Staying there for 3 nights from Friday, got a few plans but wanted to know any decent bars that'll show the France match or England Saturday? Assuming the fan zone is closed during the Paris matches!
Not from Paris but the banana's close by and the Père Lachaise cemetery is worth a visit, especially at night:)

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
If anyone is going to Lyon and needs a bit of help just give me a shout, I've been there a couple of times now.

And a useful website for car pooling https://www.blablacar.fr/, especially for instances such as Lyon airport where the only way to get to the city costs 14 euros one way.
I'll be there next Wednesday and Thursday. Will be in touch

Blatzo

I'm going to be driving through France during the tournament. I get the ferry over there on (probably) 20th June and I need to be in Venice on 2nd July...

I don't really have any plans in the middle apart from driving between Calais and Venice.

Is it worth watching a game in a fan zone?

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Decent area, not too posh so there could be some good bars in the vicinity. Dont know that part too well though so I'll ask around and let you know if I hear anything.

If not, if you dont mind moving a bit from where you're staying, check out some of the pubs in my OP. Bombardier especially is a typical English pub and should be packed with a great atmosphere for the game.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I'm going to be driving through France during the tournament. I get the ferry over there on (probably) 20th June and I need to be in Venice on 2nd July...

I don't really have any plans in the middle apart from driving between Calais and Venice.

Is it worth watching a game in a fan zone?
Fan zones should be good, there should be a good vibe there, I'd say its worth a try. Only issue could be security concerns if you're worried about that.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Lens

Venue: Stade Bollaert, 35000 seats

What games will be played there?

Albania Switzerland; England Wales; Czech Republic Turkey; 1 round of 8 game

How to travel to and in Lens?

Closest airport to Lens is the Lille airport, which is 40km away I believe.

There is however a train station in the center of Lens.

As far as I know, there is neither metro nor tram, so you’ll have to use buses.

Where to stay in Lens?

No idea.

Bars & restaurants

Yes, there’s probably bars & restaurants in Lens.

What to do in Lens and around?

Not a huge deal to do imo, there now is a branch of the Louvre museum though ‘Louvre Lens Museum’ which may be worth visiting, and there’s probably stuff to see regarding the city’s mining heritage. Not the most vibrant of venues if you want my opinion though!

Edit courtesy of @Vooon: A stone throw away from the largest French military cemetery, Ablain-Saint-Nazaire, with almost 40.000 war graves from the First World War.
Bars/Clubs/Restaurants in Lens: Avoid a club called Le Manchester (the owners are not expat United fans) on the outskirts in sight of some old slag heaps (there's loads of them around!) - I went there with a mate in 98 and we very nearly got our heads kicked in!

Blatzo

Fan zones should be good, there should be a good vibe there, I'd say its worth a try. Only issue could be security concerns if you're worried about that.
It's such a weird one with security. I can't decide if I'm better off going to a high profile venue because there will be tighter security or a more low profile venue because it is a less lucrative (albeit softer) target.

The answer, of course, is to ignore the threat of terror and just enjoy the tournament. But if I'm being honest with myself it would always be in the back of my mind.