Riyad Mahrez | Signed new contract at Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
If I'm Claudio Ranieri, sitting down with Mahrez in January to tell him there's an offer on the table from Man United, I'm asking him which club looks more likely to be playing CL football next season!
Don't you worry; we have lots of money, and the captain can offer him a toffee.

Danny Boi

Exactly the type of player we need in the team.We need an assists machine like him,ozil or the fabregas of last season.Everyone of our main attackers are better finishers that creators, Mata is the only one where it is even close.Another finisher like Griezmann or Aubameyang won't help if we have no one to supply them.

NoPace

I was going to say we should sign him unless we've got Bale or Griezmann lined up but even then we'd probably still be best signing Mahrez for the rest of the season and then having genuine depth and competition in the attack next year. I'd prefer Rooney leave, but assuming that's unlikely:

----------Martial------- (Rooney, Wilson)
Memphis-Bale-Mahrez (Mata, Lingard, Januzaj)

looks like it would be dangerous if we actually pressed.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Even watching us week in week out has not destroyed my belief in the essential romance of the game. Mahrez coming to us in January would be another nail in that particular coffin. I hope he stays and they do something amazing.

Boycott

I watch him and think that this is the player I expect Januzaj to be. Skillful, change of direction, two-footed, direct.

For the best of his career he should avoid LvG.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Couldn't we just buy all Leicester's players and then get their manager? Keep a couple of our good ones and we're sorted.

Devil may care

Quality assist and goal tonight, still not sure about him though, just get the feeling he'd be a luxury player that floats in and out of games with us.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Great to watch but would prefer to see it over a full season or two.

Bojan11

I rather take the risk of going for him then waiting a season or two. He has been like this since the end of last season.

We always moaned about the club being slow to act for players like this, which ends up with a club like Spurs signing him and then selling them for big money.

Even Payet would have improved us in the summer.

spwd

I'm from just outside Leicester and my ex Mrs of 8 years has been a st holder at Leicester for 15 years plus,ever since he signed for them he's been pretty decent and regularly mentioned by her saying how good he is and could be, he's gradually improved and to be honest di Maria was/is one of the best in the world yet hardly showed up for us so everyone is a risky purchase BUT Leicester aren't short of a few bob so don't need the money, especially looking damn near certain to be closer to the top of the table than the bottom at the end of the season plus the tv money so the only way we will get him is if he wants to join us and asks for a transfer and I can't see that happening in January being where they are etc

Mindhunter

Unpopular Opinion: signing him won't do jack unless we start to improve our football basics. Namely off the ball movement and supporting runs.
Exactly, he will be always marked and isolated on the wing with no body to pass to. It is definitely the tactics.

Alfie092

If he can keep his form up for the rest of the season and get around 20 goals and 10+ assists, I think we should consider signing him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If he can keep his form up for the rest of the season and get around 20 goals and 10+ assists, I think we should consider signing him.
We should sign him anyway, hes been in this form since late last season and TBH he is better than Lingard and Young.

Alfie092

We should sign him anyway, hes been in this form since late last season and TBH he is better than Lingard and Young.
I agree that he is better than Young and Lingard but last season he was good at best and now he seems a world-beater. Question is, if he was to join us would he be able to keep up his form?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I agree that he is better than Young and Lingard but last season he was good at best and now he seems a world-beater. Question is, if he was to join us would he be able to keep up his form?
Last season, towards the end I would say him form is the same as it is now. He took a while to settle in the league, but his talent was always obvious. Only issue is would LVG let him play his game tbh

NJM78

Top player, cost Leicester 400k. I reckon a 20m bid would be accepted despite Ranieri saying no one can afford either Vardy or him. He would jump at joining united but would he jump at joining van Gaal!?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He's ours in January.

Also, mods can we merge the two ongoing Mahrez threads?

C'est Moi Cantona

Isn't he just the player that is currently in fashion? A few weeks ago it was Mane but now Southampton aren't doing so well it's Mahrez, give it a few weeks it'll be Shaqiri or similar.

Not saying I don't rate Mahrez but we'd be paying huge money for him on the back of a rich seam of form for a team playing out of their skins, pressure him with a £35 m fee, a much bigger club, and totally differnt tactics and I'll bet what comes out the other end is nothing like the player we're currently seeing.

I'm all for buying a right winger but not sure I'd want us to risk a fortune on this fella just yet, especially with LvG still here.

snk123

What makes people think that Mahrez is going to leave the league leaders and come to a club thats visibly in decline, with a manager who stifles creativity and a team that plays horrible horrible football?

Sorry

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
What makes people think that Mahrez is going to leave the league leaders and come to a club thats visibly in decline, with a manager who stifles creativity and a team that plays horrible horrible football?

Sorry
Oh you poor soul. You think those will be his considerations when we offer to quadruple his wages.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Sorry
Whether you're baiting or not - money. We could - and most likely would - easily triple his wages.

NoPace

Exactly, he will be always marked and isolated on the wing with no body to pass to. It is definitely the tactics.
The case for Mahrez as a January signing is that he's more capable and likely to beat a man or two and get into decent shooting positions. So he might give us decent production there despite the lack of help.

LLMU

He will definitely improve us in the final third with his trickery and speed of thought. I am not sure why some of you said whether he came maintain his form. He has shown his capabilities and it is not as if he is performing beyond what he is capable of. for a player as skinny as Di Maria , he is not easily shaken from the physical aspect of the game.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Quality assist and goal tonight, still not sure about him though, just get the feeling he'd be a luxury player that floats in and out of games with us.
Not a bad idea at all. We'd basically only need to keep DDG, Smalling and Martial!

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Why would anyone think Leicester would want to accept £250m or £30m?

It's like people haven't been following the economics of the PL.

No PL team wants to sell their best players. They don't need to. Not even for good fees.

Granted, they may have a hard time blocking a player from their big move but that will likely be the only push factor for them.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Why would anyone think Leicester would want to accept £250m or £30m?

It's like people haven't been following the economics of the PL.

No PL team wants to sell their best players. They don't need to. Not even for good fees.

Granted, they may have a hard time blocking a player from their big move but that will likely be the only push factor for them.
After years of claiming ever player has their price plus saying we can offer huge wages you finally have given up us all hope of signing a player from Leicester City. :lol:

Your inner Muppet is dead.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
After years of claiming ever player has their price plus saying we can offer huge wages you finally have given up us all hope of signing a player from Leicester City. :lol:

Your inner Muppet is dead.
Not remotely. Of course we can... in summer and for a fee way higher than £20m.

I am saying that the idea that PL clubs are happy to accept money for their best players is outdated. See: Stones, Beraihno.

No other league has this dynamic. Most mid table clubs in other leagues actually need to sell players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not remotely. Of course we can... in summer and for a fee way higher than £20m.

I am saying that the idea that PL clubs are happy to accept money for their best players is outdated. See: Stones, Beraihno.

No other league has this dynamic. Most mid table clubs in other leagues actually need to sell players.
Good point. Which is why buying from the PL can be dicey. You could buy a player of the same level from another league at a much lower price. We were all shocked at the fee we bought Darmian for but apparently it was a decent fee for Torino.

prarek

Fantastic player. He will cost a bit though. Leicester won't let go easily.

Member 5225

Manchester United have are set to make a transfer offer for Leicester City’s Riyad Mahrez, according to reports in France.

Mahrez has been one of the stars of the Premier League so far this season after grabbing seven assists and scoring 13 goals for the Foxes.

Telefoot via Le 10 Sport say the Red Devils will lodge a £29million bid for the Algerian winger ahead of the January transfer window.

Louis van Gaal is desperate to bring attacking reinforcements to Old Trafford as a result of the likes of Wayne Rooney and Anthony Martial struggling in front of goal this campaign.

It’s understood Tottenham are ready to match United’s sizable offer for the 24-year-old as a result of his barnstorming form this campaign.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/20/manch...or-riyad-mahrez-report-5576910/#ixzz3usX0WVRV

Status
Not open for further replies.