Robin van Persie | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazza

I read yesterday that RVP is the only one to play a part in all 34 league games for Utd this season. Prone to injury, he be.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I read yesterday that RVP is the only one to play a part in all 34 league games for Utd this season. Prone to injury, he be.
You do cringe a little bit when he doesn't get up straight away.

Need to write off everything he did in his Arsenal career, because minus a little dry spell in March he's made me question my sexual preferences on too many occasions in the last 8 months.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
5 - Robin van Persie has now scored five PL hat-tricks, drawing level with Andy Cole, D Berbatov, Ian Wright & R van Nistelrooy. Fab.

3 hat-tricks in 8 years at Arsenal, 2 hat-tricks in 8 months at United...

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Apparently he just scored only one goal in front of the Stretford End this season(against Stoke). Surprising statistic that. Sort it out Robin.

wr8_utd

:'(
He's scored as many goals at the Stretford End this year for United as he did for Arsenal last season.

RedMist99

Pretty amusing story

Over-excited Manchester United fans hoping to congratulate hat-trick hero Robin van Persie have inadvertently bombarded a 52-year-old IT consultant in India with Twitter messages. It's a classic case of mistaken identity.

Ravi Visvesvaraya Sharada Prasad isn't used to being a star.

But a cursory look at his Twitter handle over the last 24 hours shows he has - at least on Twitter - become one.

"Congrats @rvp!!" is one tweet. "@rvp You really made the difference for us this season, well done," is another.

"Great scenes as @RVP celebrates winning his first title at United... Well done mate" and "@rvp hey Robin, that was a fantastic hat trick...can you send me a shirt please," are others.

It's not difficult to see how the mix-up came about.

Robin van Persie's correct Twitter handle - @Persie_Official - may have the word "Official" in the title, but the 52-year-old software and communications consultant's handle - @rvp - has the 29-year-old football star's initials. Fans often refer to the Dutchman as "rvp".

Then there's the immediacy of Twitter. People can see what other people are tweeting, and hashtags can trend within minutes. Tweeters also tend to multi-task.
Continue reading the main story

As soon as Prasad, from Delhi, realised what was going on, he tried to rectify it.

"RVP is the account of Ravi Visvesvaraya Sharada Prasad, a telecom & infotech consultant in India. RVP is NOT the account of Robin van Persie," he tweeted.

"This is NOT the Twitter account of Robin Van Persie. Please do NOT mention @rvp if you mean Robin Van Persie," he added.

But this only spurred some fans to retweet his tweets and jokingly praise Prasad for his part in Manchester United's success.

"Congratulations to @RVP you fully deserved it. Incredible since you are a part time footballer & info tech consultant. #CHAMPIONS2013," tweeted one.

"He consults when he wants, He consults when he wants, Ravi Visvesvara Prasad, he consults when he wants, dont you @rvp," tweeted another, imitating a football chant.

But while the confusion may have been a source of entertainment for some, for Prasad - who says he's had more than 10,000 mentions in the past 24 hours - it hasn't been a laughing matter.

"I'm a fan of Robin van Persie, so I understand people wanting to congratulate him, and most of the messages or mentions are nice.

"But it's a real nuisance for me. I keep having to tell everyone I'm not Robin van Persie and blocking unwanted followers," he says.

Prasad says he spent about 10 hours blocking between 4,000 and 5,000 new followers he amassed during, and after, the Aston Villa game.

"I sent lots of people messages explaining who I was. My email account is clogged too - I think people have been trying to hack into my Twitter account as I keep getting messages referring to a forgotten password."

The furore is not the first time Prasad has been confused with the Dutch footballer on Twitter.

He says he started getting messages for Van Persie about 18 months ago, but they became more frequent after the footballer's £24m move from Arsenal last summer.

Now he gets them every day and regularly resorts to posting messages pointing out his true identity.

"I've written on Manchester United's and Robin van Persie's Facebook and Twitter accounts too, but never received a reply," he says.

His @rvp account is so sought after, he's even received offers from fans to buy it.

Prasad isn't the first person to be the victim of a mistaken identity on Twitter.

In 2010, Ashley Kerekes, from Massachusetts, made headlines after she was bombarded by cricket messages sent to her Twitter account which is named @theashes.

Cricket fans mistakenly assumed her account referred to the Ashes contest between Australia and England, prompting the then 22-year-old to respond "this is not the account of the cricket match. Check profiles before you send mentions, it's incredibly annoying and rude".

The Ashes and @theashes

Her fame led her to be flown out to Sydney by an Australian airline to attend the fifth Ashes Test.

But even now, her Twitter account reads: "I'm not a freaking cricket match!".

Olympic champion Sir Chris Hoy also found himself the victim of a barrage of Twitter abuse from Tottenham Hotspur fans raging against referee Chris Foy, after a game with Stoke City in December 2011.

The cyclist seemed to take the tweets in good spirit, tweeting back to confirm that he wasn't in need of glasses and did not lead a double life as an English official.

Prasad would still like to clear up the confusion.

"I'm a great fan of Robin van Persie, and I'd really like to meet him or get his autograph.

"But I'd like him to make it clear that my Twitter account isn't his - that it's a coincidence," he says.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22263252

:lol:

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
It's probably been asked and maybe answered before...

But does anyone think that he's not really on 200k+ a week? But probably on whatever Rooney earns a week? (If thats 200 then fine).

Do we even know in any case?

Chabon

They're both on 180k. That was the credible report on Rooney's wage after the new contract, before all the papers started their hilarious oneupmanship with his wage, and RVP is surely on the same deal.

Gazza

Didn't see these quotes posted in full after the Villa match. Wasn't sure if I should put in the RVP thread or the Ryan Giggs thread!

"I was quite pleased we got the early goal and it was a great pass by Giggs," van Persie informed MUTV in an exclusive interview.

"It is an honour for me to play and train with him. It really is. I told him as well.

"Every training session, with the way he trains and loves the game, he sets the example for every single one of us for old and for young.

"The way he plays, today he gave me two brilliant assists and, every single day, he's just unbelievable in training and during games.

"He's 39 now but you can't tell. He's fit and he works his socks off. He is a true example for young and old."

When asked if he thinks he can carry on playing until such an age, van Persie laughed: "You never know! I love the game so we'll see!"

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
They're both on 180k. That was the credible report on Rooney's wage after the new contract, before all the papers started their hilarious oneupmanship with his wage, and RVP is surely on the same deal.
Agreed, that is probably what I think as well. Of course none of us really knows.. I just think it's a bit silly to say "Its the 250,000 a week that we spent which won us the title.."

But whatever.. Hoist em if you got em!

coolredwine

lameredboots
Tomorrow van Persie to do the Ric Flair strut through the Arsenal guard of honor capped off with a 'Woo' into Wengers face. Needs to happen.

LR7

Got to love his interviews:

Boy wonder: Robin van Persie reveals winning title with Manchester United made childhood dreams come true

PLUS: Dutch striker doesn't know if emotions will get the better of him on return to Arsenal as champion

The little boy inside him is still thrilled at being part of the team that has seen Manchester United crowned as English champions for the 20th time.

The 29-year-old Dutchman *explained: “I was having lunch the other day with Rio Ferdinand when four 10 year-olds from our Academy came in.

“They had nice United tracksuits on. They looked curiously around the place. I said to Rio, in 10 years time those boys will probably be playing in the first team.

“Now, at their age, they don’t have any worries or stress yet.

“I also told Rio that at that age I had the time of my life. It probably was the most wonderful time as a *footballer. Every day I used to walk round in a track suit. Trainers or football boots were the only things I’d wear on my feet.

“All day at school, after school, on the street, at the club, at PE. Tired? I was never tired. It is amazing that as a kid you don’t feel aches and pains.”

Van Persie explains that this is why he loved his time as the little boy in love with football more than *anything. All he needed was a ball, his boots and the street or a game at the club.

On Sunday he will walk out at the Emirates as part of the title-winning Red Devils team. It will be his first *return to Arsenal since his controversial £24million transfer to Old Trafford last summer. He will feel vindicated at finally becoming a champion after eight years of near misses with the Gunners.

Van Persie says he still does not know how he will react to Sunday’s emotional trip.

He said: “I really don’t know what to do on Sunday.

“I remember that I had decided to *celebrate a goal against Arsenal in a really calm way *earlier this season at Old Trafford. That went kind of ok.

“But I can’t always anticipate what will happen. Sometimes emotions get the *better of me. But then again, what I find more beautiful than the actual championship is the way towards winning it. It is one big process.’’

Van Persie, who may well have despatched the goal of the season in last Monday’s title-clinching win over Aston Villa, admits there have been times when his team have not been in breathtaking form.

He explained: “We played Stoke City away. The wind gusting in from three gaps between the stands was ferocious. All their players are 6 feet plus. On days like that, I know that it is going to be nothing but a hard battle. And that’s what I liked about United this season, every player is prepared to battle.

“We have a winning mentality here. I love that. We only have to look at each other on the pitch and we know that we trust each other.

“I have the best job in the world. Every day I can play football. I can see myself carrying on like this for a long time. I used to be addicted to Diego Maradona’s videos.

“I also loved watching moves and turns by Johan Cruyff. Some *sportsmen like watching films of Rocky, I used to be crazy about those videos. I saw the moves of Maradona and Cruyff as art. Once I had watched one of their videos, I was ready to go and burst on the pitch.

“I made mistakes when I was young. Then I joined Arsenal and met players like Bergkamp, Henry, Pires and Arsene Wenger. Great *people. They all wanted to help me.

“Even at Arsenal I could get *impatient. I wanted to go and knock on the manager’s office door and ask him why I was not playing.

“Dennis (Bergkamp) said: ‘Don’t! It might work like that in Holland, but not here. This is England.’

“So I said, ok, I will wait and keep my mouth shut for a bit. *I *appreciated he told me to be patient. I do the same now with young players. I love talking to the Academy lads at the club now. I know how they feel, I know why they feel like they do.”

There’s a new *dimension to Van Persie’s life.

His six year-old son Shaqueel has *already asked his dad if he can stay longer than just three or four years at United.

It made the United striker smile.

And it reminded him again about the little boy he once was himself.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-vs-manchester-united-robin-1856861#ixzz2RjRnHw3r

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Brilliant penalty. I half expected him to go crazy with his celebration but he showed class and was respectful despite the boos.

That goal should guarantee he gets the golden boot as well.

Man-United

Bale is the one behind who can still play this season, not sure how many he needs.

Brwned

Only shows up when the league's in the bag, what a bottler.

Sam

Beaut of a penalty (was convinced he was gonna miss) had a poor game for the rest, and missed a sitter.

Sam

missed a sitter ??? You for real ??
For a player of RVP's quality, I think he'll be very annoyed he missed that header, he was 3 years out after all. Maybe sitter was a bit harsh, it was good keeping from the keeper, but I would have expecting him to hit the net really.

Zen86

For a player of RVP's quality, I think he'll be very annoyed he missed that header, he was 3 years out after all. Maybe sitter was a bit harsh, it was good keeping from the keeper, but I would have expecting him to hit the net really.
It's not an easy header when the keeper is a yard in front of you.

Sam

What about beeing a grate save ?? If you call this a sitter ??
Fair enough, maybe I was being a bit harsh. Only was one replay of it at the time, and my first impression was 'shoulda scored'.

Happy to give the keeper credit though. T'was a good save.

Brwned

He won and scored a penalty, set up Jones for a free header 6 yards out, was inches away from setting up Rooney for a tap-in (and would've set up Nani if he made the run) with another great cross, almost played in Anderson for a run through at goal if not for poor control. Along with that he defended really well and found Valencia, Rooney and Nani in good areas at various points in the second half. I'm bemused that people are criticising him for a poor game again today. Mertesacker and Koscielny obviously knew his game well and defended well against him...I don't think that makes him poor. They barely gave him a chance to get the ball under control all game but I thought he coped well with that.

thepolice123

Faded badly in the second half. We should probably give him his deserved rest for the remainder of the season and let the likes of Welbeck and Hernendez play.

Status
Not open for further replies.