Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He is got to be to itching to come back. He is going to wanna get in on this fun. A new system, a new challenge under a manager he works very well with. Cant wait for him to be back.

Irish-Red-7

Say RvP is very eager to get back to working with LvG, there was talk of him about not wanting to take a holiday and return immediately but even though it's good to hear, with his injury record, wise decision to take a holiday and not rush back.

Motivation for RvP this season will be high after a nightmare last year under Moyes.. Him and LvG seem to really get on and form a good working partnership.

He should be fully fit and raring to go by the start of the season and one would believe with the opening run of games, that RvP will be high scoring.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Hopefully he doesn't have another injury hit season.

Brightonian

I really hope he can slot into this front 2 ahead of Mata effectively. At the moment Welbeck's energy and movement is doing wonders for Rooney, and RVP won't offer that to the same extent. Which would be fine if we had Januzaj buzzing around but obviously with this formation, no wingers...

I'm sure it'll be fine - LVG knows Robin's game inside out, after all. Just voicing a slight anxiety.

jason93

He needs to get some games in pre season. I'm dying to see what hes like at United under Van Gaal.

Patchbeard

Someone's brought this up in the Welbeck thread and reminded me about it.

Of late have other people noticed how prolific Van Persie is at being caught offside?

Back end of last season and at the World Cup he was absolutely on fire. It's not as if he's trying to be clever about it with marginal calls against him and being onside a good deal too, he mostly just seems to be standing about 3 yards offside but still motioning for the ball. He was caught offside 9 times against Costa Rica.

Still love watching him play when he's onside, but don't remember this being so much of a feature in his game during his first season with us.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Someone's brought this up in the Welbeck thread and reminded me about it.

Of late have other people noticed how prolific Van Persie is at being caught offside?

Back end of last season and at the World Cup he was absolutely on fire. It's not as if he's trying to be clever about it with marginal calls against him and being onside a good deal too, he mostly just seems to be standing about 3 yards offside but still motioning for the ball. He was caught offside 9 times against Costa Rica.

Still love watching him play when he's onside, but don't remember this being so much of a feature in his game during his first season with us.
Nah man I get annoyed just reading this, because people in Holland were going nuts after the Costa Rica game too.

While in reality his movement and awareness is better than, well basically every other striker around. Sometimes you're just unlucky.

And for the Costa Rica game: he was flagged two or three times while he wasn't offside or it was a marginal centimeter or something. He simply got the ball too late 3 times at least. Leaves 3 offsides in a very, very tight game with Costa Rica playing the offside trap to perfection.

Such a shame we don't have a Pirlo or something in our midfield, then we would see the true quality of his movement. I remember even Alex Song managed to give 8 or 10 assists to RvP at Arsenal from midfield, simply playing the ball over the defense at exactly the right moment. Fabregas linking up with him was just :drool:

Clasie's pass vs. Ecuador comes to mind. He needs players who pass like that and players like Mata (noticed how he immediately found RVP in his first or second match for us) , well he doesn't need them because he scores a lot anyway, but that would truly get the best out of him.

Patchbeard

Nah man I get annoyed just reading this, because people in Holland were going nuts after the Costa Rica game too.

While in reality his movement and awareness is better than, well basically every other striker around. Sometimes you're just unlucky.

And for the Costa Rica game: he was flagged two or three times while he wasn't offside or it was a marginal centimeter or something. He simply got the ball too late 3 times at least. Leaves 3 offsides in a very, very tight game with Costa Rica playing the offside trap to perfection.

Such a shame we don't have a Pirlo or something in our midfield, then we would see the true quality of his movement. I remember even Alex Song managed to give 8 or 10 assists to RvP at Arsenal from midfield, simply playing the ball over the defense at exactly the right moment. Fabregas linking up with him was just :drool:

Clasie's pass vs. Ecuador comes to mind. He needs players who pass like that and players like Mata (noticed how he immediately found RVP in his first or second match for us) , well he doesn't need them because he scores a lot anyway, but that would truly get the best out of him.
I really don't see it that way! The amount of times he was caught offside in the latter stages of the season annoyed me, so I focused on him at the World Cup and it was the same thing. To me he never seems to be looking along the line, so he really does rely on the perfect early pass which to be honest is rarely ever going to happen. Not everyone is going to be on the same wavelength or even close yet he never seems to hold his run.

Henrik Larsson

I really don't see it that way! The amount of times he was caught offside in the latter stages of the season annoyed me, so I focused on him at the World Cup and it was the same thing. To me he never seems to be looking along the line, so he really does rely on the perfect early pass which to be honest is rarely ever going to happen. Not everyone is going to be on the same wavelength or even close yet he never seems to hold his run.
This is just so wrong, but if you feel that way, fine. Everyone has flaws, but like I said his movement and awareness are better than any other striker out there imo, as perfect as it comes. Yet somehow he never seems to be looking along the line? And he should stop moving so brilliantly because some players don't have the vision to play a good pass?

For me that's like saying Messi or Iniesta should stop dribbling, or start dribbling in another way because they lost the ball a couple of times when trying to outplay opponents.

Gladiator

if you're talking about costa rica, that was the team that had 30+ offside calls in their favor over the course of their world cup journey so isolating RVP is just plain unfair

Patchbeard

This is just so wrong, but if you feel that way, fine. Everyone has flaws, but like I said his movement and awareness are better than any other striker out there imo, as perfect as it comes. Yet somehow he never seems to be looking along the line? And he should stop moving so brilliantly because some players don't have the vision to play a good pass?

For me that's like saying Messi or Iniesta should stop dribbling, or start dribbling in another way because they lost the ball a couple of times when trying to outplay opponents.
I see it from your view, but if the pass doesn't arrive it's probably worth making an effort to get back onside. For me the lazy part comes from the fact he almost always refuses to do this, so then when said inferior player finally looks up and plays a pass he's just standing there in an offside position.

if you're talking about costa rica, that was the team that had 30+ offside calls in their favor over the course of their world cup journey so isolating RVP is just plain unfair
I'm repeating myself here, but I don't really think it's unfair to point this out when he was caught offside 9 times in one game. I've never heard of such figures before.

Gladiator

I see it from your view, but if the pass doesn't arrive it's probably worth making an effort to get back onside. For me the lazy part comes from the fact he almost always refuses to do this, so then when said inferior player finally looks up and plays a pass he's just standing there in an offside position.

I'm repeating myself here, but I don't really think it's unfair to point this out when he was caught offside 9 times in one game. I've never heard of such figures before.
yeah costa rica played a fantastic offside trap that game. perhaps you need to see it from more than one viewpoint.

Henrik Larsson

http://www.thescore.com/news/533117 : Costa Rica exit World Cup with more than twice as many offsides drawn than any other side

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wo...d-World-Cup-record-TWENTY-against-Kuwait.html

Not unfair to point it out, but Costa Rica did really well and considering RvP was the only real striker, with Robben moving more sideways and into the ball and having a very different playing style, it's not that shocking.

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I want to see how Rooney and Van Persie plays together under Van Gaal. I have my concern about the lack of pace between the two/three(mata), but I am sure their quality other than that attribute would make it work out.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I want to see how Rooney and Van Persie plays together under Van Gaal. I have my concern about the lack of pace between the two/three(mata), but I am sure their quality other than that attribute would make it work out.
A shame we haven't seen the best of both so far

2012-2013: Rooney was a lot injured and problems with Fergie
2013-2014: Van Persie was a lot injured and problems with Moyes
2014-2015: Hopefully both stay injury-free and happy threesome between Louis, Wayne & Robin

Trizy

Can't wait for him to be back playing for us, I think his all round footballing ability is often overlooked when he goes on a run of goal scoring as people will only remember the goals. He'll have a lot more freedom expressing himself in a front 2 that being the main man in front of Rooney.

LoiusVanGaal

A shame we haven't seen the best of both so far

2012-2013: Rooney was a lot injured and problems with Fergie
2013-2014: Van Persie was a lot injured and problems with Moyes
2014-2015: Hopefully both stay injury-free and happy threesome between Louis, Wayne & Robin
agree with this, Rooney & RVP have rarely been used together as attacking players & when both are fully fit/happy with the manager

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Anyone think we'll see Rooney and Van Persie fighting for the same spot? Welbeck is a key reason why the 3-4-1-2 has worked successfully for us so far, in my opinion.

Sam

Anyone think we'll see Rooney and Van Persie fighting for the same spot? Welbeck is a key reason why the 3-4-1-2 has worked successfully for us so far, in my opinion.
With the lack of pace in the team, I personally think Welbeck is a must in the team. Not sure which way LVG will go.

Dan_F

I think it's the way to go and might be better off for us in the long run, but I can't see Rooney or RvP being dropped.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think both would be fine with LvG occasionally dropping one or the other or substituting one to add a different dimension to our attack. I do think people go a bit over the top with the pace stuff, though. It isn't the be all and end all - as what Rooney and RvP lack in blistering acceleration, they make up for in brilliant attacking movement and general positioning.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's inherited the same problem up top that Fergie created and Moyes was unable to solve. For all their individual excellence, Van Persie and Rooney really don't look like a balanced partnership.

Quite looking forward to seeing how he resolves this. He won't be afraid to ruffle feathers, that's for sure.

Matador8

That much is true Pogue. They hardly combined for the most part last season when RVP was not injured. Hopefully the manager will have them working on combination play, and try to find a happy medium to get the best out them both.

bishblaize

He's inherited the same problem up top that Fergie created and Moyes was unable to solve. For all their individual excellence, Van Persie and Rooney really don't look like a balanced partnership.
Its weird really, because instinctively they feel like they should work together. In playing style they remind me of Cole and Yorke - one a little more of a number 9, one a little more of a number 10, but both able to do both roles and swap according to need. But if Cole and Yorke are at one end of the scale in terms of personal chemistry and understanding, RvP and Rooney seem to be at the other end.

I guess the hope is that if Mata is the one directing their movement, by virtue of the passes he makes, then they may connect a little more neatly then in previous seasons. Rather than trying to find each other with passes, they're just trying not to copy each other's runs.

That said, the upside is that if they dont work, LVG is far more likely to drop them than Moyes ever was.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Its weird really, because instinctively they feel like they should work together. In playing style they remind me of Cole and Yorke - one a little more of a number 9, one a little more of a number 10, but both able to do both roles and swap according to need. But if Cole and Yorke are at one end of the scale in terms of personal chemistry and understanding, RvP and Rooney seem to be at the other end.

I guess the hope is that if Mata is the one directing their movement, by virtue of the passes he makes, then they may connect a little more neatly then in previous seasons. Rather than trying to find each other with passes, they're just trying not to copy each other's runs.

That said, the upside is that if they dont work, LVG is far more likely to drop them than Moyes ever was.
Good point about the Cole/Yorke similarities. It should work but somehow it doesn't. Or at least it hasn't yet.

Rooney's previously shown (with Ruud and Saha) that he can perform well in a strike partnership. He also seems to click quite well with Welbeck. I'm not sure if RvP has much experience of playing as one of two up top, for club or country. So maybe it's just a matter of learning on the job and the more they play together the better they'll get?

Firstouch20

Strikers working together and linking up is overrated. Its very rare in football actually, thats why everyone makes it a big deal when two strikers form a good partnership. The so called SAS wasn't a great partnership either, it was just two top strikers in great form.

As long as both RvP and Rooney are scoring and performing it doesn't matter how many times they pass to each other. Mabe it mattered when he was a no.10 but now they'll probably both be playing right along side each other so Mata and wing backs will be the main supply.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Good point about the Cole/Yorke similarities. It should work but somehow it doesn't. Or at least it hasn't yet.

Rooney's previously shown (with Ruud and Saha) that he can perform well in a strike partnership. He also seems to click quite well with Welbeck. I'm not sure if RvP has much experience of playing as one of two up top, for club or country. So maybe it's just a matter of learning on the job and the more they play together the better they'll get?
I think it's more the fact that both Rooney and RVP feel like they are top dogs. Yorke and Cole while being brilliant were not exactly "superstars", I don't think they had the ego, and they certainly had the friendship. They both wanted to score, but were just as happy to see their mate score.

With RVP and Rooney they clearly dont dislike each other, but when it comes to scoring they want their name on the sheet, rather than their rival.

Iron Stove

Van Persie will be 31 in a couple of days. Eric had retired by this age. Can't really get my head around that.

Anyhow, how many seasons can Van Persie have left as a striker at the top of his game? 1 or 2? He will obviously be an asset for longer though in a diminished role.

While him getting older sucks, it will probably make things easier moving to a 4-3-3 in time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Van Persie will be 31 in a couple of days. Eric had retired by this age. Can't really get my head around that.

Anyhow, how many seasons can Van Persie have left as a striker at the top of his game? 1 or 2? He will obviously be an asset for longer though in a diminished role.

While him getting older sucks, it will probably make things easier moving to a 4-3-3 in time.
Given his pace is not a key assest, I can see him being very good going into 35, just depends how he manages his injuries.

I see him more like a Bergkamp/Sheringham type player who doesn't exactly completely diminish with age.

Iron Stove

Given his pace is not a key assest, I can see him being very good going into 35, just depends how he manages his injuries.

I see him more like a Bergkamp/Sheringham type player who doesn't exactly completely diminish with age.
That seems feasible come to think of it and would love it to be true. He's never been a speed merchant. Let's just hope he can stay clear of injuries.

Red_Aaron

Rooney has showed many times in the past that he's willing to play 'second fiddle' for the want of a better phrase. In many ways it suits Rooney's natural game as at his best he's the ultimate team player.
For whatever reason there has been issues surrounding Wayne and his influence on the team during the past 2 seasons, I for one however am sure LVG will set it straight. So long as they are fit RVP and Rooney will both play and they'll be brilliant for us imo

Status
Not open for further replies.