Robin van Persie

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm always right

so what????

what is everybodies big issue with giving people game time???? players earn their place based on ability and performance.

we havent had serious competition for places for a couple of seasons and its why we dont kill teams off. we are happy enough to beat a team 1-0 at old trafford because the majority of the startiong 11 will know that they'll be playing the following game.

lets look at this scenario, rooney and welbeck start the season as RVP and kagawa are settling in and hernandez has fallen behind welbeck. if we go 1-0 against everton next monday rooney and welbeck wont be to sit back and accept that. they'l be looking at RVP, Kagawa and Hernandez on the bench and they'l want to put 3 or 4 past them to make sure that they start the next game. equally if it is 1-0 after an hour and fergi puts on RVP and hernandez then they'l be trying to show in that 30 mins that they should start the next game.

in terms of minutes on the pitch its definatley a case of qaulity of qaunitity for both the player and the club.

if welbeck cant dislodge rooney, rvp, kagawa, hernandez from the team and is restricted to league cup football. tough shit. he'l get the chance if he doesnt take it then he doesnt play. its happened to players in the past and will happen to players in the future. rooney isnt exempt from that either. fergie himself criticised his complacency openly last year.

the players cant afford complecency next year or they wont start. the club cant afford complacency as we NEED to win the league back.

with RVP in the team / squad we have a far better chance of doing so. if that restricts welbeck/hernandez to 25 games, and means that rooney isnt first choice to start and finish every single game, then tough.

a common phrase used in football is "no man is bigger than the club" yet so many seem to think danny welbeck should be untouchable, given the chance to start regardless of form so that he develops. the same people are crying out for a midfielder. what about cleverley and andersons chance to develop?
Your grammar and punctuation may not have improved but your posting certainly has.

Bang on benf

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
so what????

what is everybodies big issue with giving people game time???? players earn their place based on ability and performance.

we havent had serious competition for places for a couple of seasons and its why we dont kill teams off. we are happy enough to beat a team 1-0 at old trafford because the majority of the startiong 11 will know that they'll be playing the following game.

lets look at this scenario, rooney and welbeck start the season as RVP and kagawa are settling in and hernandez has fallen behind welbeck. if we go 1-0 against everton next monday rooney and welbeck wont be to sit back and accept that. they'l be looking at RVP, Kagawa and Hernandez on the bench and they'l want to put 3 or 4 past them to make sure that they start the next game. equally if it is 1-0 after an hour and fergi puts on RVP and hernandez then they'l be trying to show in that 30 mins that they should start the next game.

in terms of minutes on the pitch its definatley a case of qaulity of qaunitity for both the player and the club.

if welbeck cant dislodge rooney, rvp, kagawa, hernandez from the team and is restricted to league cup football. tough shit. he'l get the chance if he doesnt take it then he doesnt play. its happened to players in the past and will happen to players in the future. rooney isnt exempt from that either. fergie himself criticised his complacency openly last year.

the players cant afford complecency next year or they wont start. the club cant afford complacency as we NEED to win the league back.

with RVP in the team / squad we have a far better chance of doing so. if that restricts welbeck/hernandez to 25 games, and means that rooney isnt first choice to start and finish every single game, then tough.

a common phrase used in football is "no man is bigger than the club" yet so many seem to think danny welbeck should be untouchable, given the chance to start regardless of form so that he develops. the same people are crying out for a midfielder. what about cleverley and andersons chance to develop?
Great effort. Our problem last season wasn't scoring goals, it was keeping them out. As talented as Van Persie is, I don't think we'll see the goals scored stat shoot through the roof as a result of buying him. We already have improved attacking wise by buying Kagawa, so why not invest in a midfielder now, who can help shore up the back end?

I'm sure that's the reasoning of many other people. Valid arguments can be made for buying RVP or passing him by. I don't think it's a necessity either way.

Liam147

On Probation
The problem was keeping them out due to throwing defenders together. Blackburn, Basel, City etc, were games where we put strangers alongside each other and expected them to defend in an organised manner. They'll all be better for having a season together, and the injuries cannot ve worse than last season.

Signing RVP wouldn't solve our defensive crisis, because we don't have one.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
This is blatantly just an opportunity signing, the chance to get Van Persie has come up so we're going for him. I seriously doubt we'd go for a striker with his profile otherwise.
So what? I don't think it is, because while Sir Alex has done that in the past (laurent blanc) - I think the simple fact is RVP is one of the best strikers in the premiership. He's not 35. He's just 29. I think Sir Alex believes it will improve the side. Paddy made a good point yesterday, that Sir Alex won't go on forever. He will want another league/champions league..

At the end of the day, we don't know how long Van Persie will play for. I bet people thought Teddy was past it at 31. We just don't know. I think your doing a disservice to RVP. I think we're buying him because he WILL improve the team.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We said that about injuries last season! It's like an annual curse or something.

I think even with Rio and Vidic back, our midfield's porosity will cost us dear, especially in Europe. The best strikers in the world can't do much when they're starved of the ball.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Welbeck is no where near his peak, he has a good decade, probably more, of top flight football in him and 4 or 5 years until he peaks.

Having Vsn Persie here to take pressure for goals off him will do his development no harm, nor will having two world class strikers to learn from. In 3 or 4 years when Van Persie is slowing down, that's when Welbeck will be stepping up.
I really think it is going to hamper Welbeck's development, the best thing for him is to be playing every week and with RVP in the side he is going to be on the bench most weeks.

Striker10

Great effort. Our problem last season wasn't scoring goals, it was keeping them out. As talented as Van Persie is, I don't think we'll see the goals scored stat shoot through the roof as a result of buying him. We already have improved attacking wise by buying Kagawa, so why not invest in a midfielder now, who can help shore up the back end?

I'm sure that's the reasoning of many other people. Valid arguments can be made for buying RVP or passing him by. I don't think it's a necessity either way.
In league terms, we produced one of our best ever seasons...Our home form and away form were good. We just lost silly points. I think blackburn at home, Newcastle home and away, Everton at home and Wigan away....in the main our problem was, we battered quite a few teams and only got a goal to show for our efforts. Clearly someone that scored 37 last season and has a history of being a goalscorer, would have helped.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
I really think it is going to hamper Welbeck's development, the best thing for him is to be playing every week and with RVP in the side he is going to be on the bench most weeks.
Do you think that Fergie thinks the signing of RvP will hamper Welbeck's development?

Zen86

So what? I don't think it is, because while Sir Alex has done that in the past (laurent blanc) - I think the simple fact is RVP is one of the best strikers in the premiership. He's not 35. He's just 29. I think Sir Alex believes it will improve the side. Paddy made a good point yesterday, that Sir Alex won't go on forever. He will want another league/champions league..

At the end of the day, we don't know how long Van Persie will play for. I bet people thought Teddy was past it at 31. We just don't know. I think your doing a disservice to RVP. I think we're buying him because he WILL improve the team.
Well, to be honest I don't think he will integrate into the team very but my main reservation about him is I can't help but think his injury troubles will be back next season. Last season was a one-off in terms of fitness and injury-prone players is the last thing we need more of.

Striker10

The best thing for Danny is that he plays games and his development continues.

There are more than enough games in the season.
And who's to say Welbeck won't keep RVP on the bench. It gives us a chance to rest Rooney now and then. It might even prolong his career in the long run. I agree there are plenty of games. We'll probably not sign him after all this

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
And who's to say Welbeck won't keep RVP on the bench. It gives us a chance to rest Rooney now and then. It might even prolong his career in the long run. I agree there are plenty of games. We'll probably not sign him after all this
I'll be disappointed if we don't tbf.

I agree with you all in all.

Striker10

Newcastle away and Wigan away we created nothing...and couldn't keep hold of the ball in midfield.
funny i remember simpson clearing off the line in both games against newcastle. Also clearly Anderson/Kagawa and Cleverly can make a difference if they stay fit. If you play Rooney/RVP, honestly we'll put the fear of God into teams like Wigan who will be more scared to press forward. We just need luck with injury, like everyone.

Zen86

In league terms, we produced one of our best ever seasons...Our home form and away form were good. We just lost silly points. I think blackburn at home, Newcastle home and away, Everton at home and Wigan away....in the main our problem was, we battered quite a few teams and only got a goal to show for our efforts. Clearly someone that scored 37 last season and has a history of being a goalscorer, would have helped.
Forwards weren't the issue last season, we lacked that bit of steel in the middle allowing us to be overrun and pressure to be put on the largely makeshift defence.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Exactly, this signing could be what makes Welbeck take his game up a notch.

Striker10

Forwards weren't the issue last season, we lacked that bit of steel in the middle allowing us to be overrun and pressure to be put on the largely makeshift defence.
We had one of best league performances last year. I think it's a vote of confidence from Sir Alex to the midfielders we have. I think people wanting Kagawa in the hole, maybe disappointed.

Rory 7

No, he won't (bar few odd ones here and there) and no it couldn't.
It could you know. A physical presence like Rooney playing deeper is essentially what most of the muppets are looking for. Either way, I really hope we get RvP to provide options that Berbatov has starved us of.

Chabon

Do you think that Fergie thinks the signing of RvP will hamper Welbeck's development?
If he doesn't, he's an idiot. Of course he knows that this will harm Danny's career, but clearly thinks our short-term need is more important, and has presumably sanctioned Danny's (apparently) massive contract to try and keep the boy from jumping ship whilst playing back-up to Van Persie. This transfer disconcerts me on a few levels, but mostly it's to do with Fergie seeming to throw out everything a lot of his measured and long-termist approach to management for a big, immediate fix. It all rather suggests that City's 'success' has got to him, and that he's planning to go sooner rather than later.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Amazed how many people leave Valencia out of our strongest 11 - he's been one of our most consistent players for the last couple of seasons.
Not left him out, but i don't think he is as well suited to cutting inside and operating centrally in the system i have given.

Note i did also suggest that we will still regularly use 4-4-2, but not as often in Europe. You would have to admit that while Valencia has been one of our most consistent performers, it would be in a 4-4-2. If we change that system which i believe we have to in Europe, then he may figure more at RB than at RW. But for 4-4-2 he is still the man at RW.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Physical presence? Rooney's afraid to make 'stiff' tackles these days...

Member 39557

If he doesn't, he's an idiot. Of course he knows that this will harm Danny's career, but clearly thinks our short-term need is more important, and has presumably sanctioned Danny's (apparently) massive contract to try and keep the boy from jumping ship whilst playing back-up to Van Persie. This transfer disconcerts me on a few levels, but mostly it's to do with Fergie seeming to throw out everything a lot of his measured and long-termist approach to management for a big, immediate fix. It all rather suggests that City's 'success' has got to him, and that he's planning to go sooner rather than later.
Do you not think the likes of Welbeck and other up-'n-comers could learn a thing or two from RVP?
It might hinder his first team opportuities short term, but benefit him greatly in the long term.

Striker10

I think Sir Alex wants to challenge Hernandez and Welbeck and he's more then entitled to do that. Danny will get games though as he can do a job out wide in certain games.

He hasn't changed his approach. That's fear talking.

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford

in years gone by when we had what i would consider far better attcking options than we had last season teams feared us. no team would come to old trafford and "have a go" because they where petrified of our attacking threat. hence we conceded very few goals.

last season teams had the opposite attitue, teams like newcastle, blackburn, everton etc came and had a go. my personal belief is that teams are not afriad of us anymore. especially the better teams. even at anfield last year we set up to "stop them". i never once saw a team set up to stop us last year.

think back to the city game. 1-0 down with 20 minutes to go and we threw on welbeck. do you think city where remotley bothered about that???? they obviousley where not. had we thrown on van persie i think it would have a different result

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
That's not a news to me, I've been saying for a good 3 seasons now how Rooney lost that sudden bite and more often than not, watches out for his legs in 50/50 situations.

And if you're suggesting he would be a good options in the middle due to his presence then we are touching on the problem discussed in Januzaj's thread right now and would be well fecked. He can drop deep and play a diagonal, he can't though (and believe I too wanted him to play there once) play consistently and control games at high level week in week out in CM.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah, Danny Welbeck won't possibly play any games of football if RVP came to town. Nope, he'd get no games at all. The very idea of rotation makes Fergie sick, and so he will stick with only two forwards for every single game. He'll also play no games on the wing or anything like that... because Fergie doesn't like playing people in different positions. Fergie and RVP will effectively be ruining his whole career... the bastards.

Welbeck appeared in 40 games last season, I would place a decent wager that, if we signed RVP, he would appear in a similar number of games this season.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
if he doesn't, he's an idiot. Of course he knows that this will harm danny's career, but clearly thinks our short-term need is more important, and has presumably sanctioned danny's (apparently) massive contract to try and keep the boy from jumping ship whilst playing back-up to van persie. This transfer disconcerts me on a few levels, but mostly it's to do with fergie seeming to throw out everything a lot of his measured and long-termist approach to management for a big, immediate fix. It all rather suggests that city's 'success' has got to him, and that he's planning to go sooner rather than later.
ok.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Right, to stop the mayhem we need to do this correctly. We should have learnt by now how we do these things. We need...

> A man on everydoor of Bridgewater Hospital
> 4 men patrolling the parameter of the training ground
> At least 12 men outside Old Trafford
> 2 men at each Terminal or Manchester Airport
> 4 Cars circling the ringroad looking at the passengers of every car

All With camera's and a phone with 3G access to The Caf, more specifically this thread. He's one man...how hard can it be to track him down. We do this and we will get the info we desire. So we are looking around 30 people who are doing nothing for possibly the next 16 Days, who's up for it?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Yeah, Danny Welbeck won't possibly play any games of football if RVP came to town. Nope, he'd get no games at all. The very idea of rotation makes Fergie sick, and so he will stick with only two forwards for every single game. He'll also play no games on the wing or anything like that... because Fergie doesn't like playing people in different positions. Fergie and RVP will effectively be ruining his whole career... the bastards.

Welbeck appeared in 40 games last season, I would place a decent wager that, if we signed RVP, he would appear in a similar number of games this season.
Exactly. Fergie knows he's got a diamond on his hands. It's not like Rooney or particularly RVP are never injured. You can substitute your players during games as well, giving them a reasonable amount of time. There's no way Fergie would sign RVP if he knew Welbeck's progress would be that much hampered. RVP would have to be a Messi to even contemplate this. Even then, judging by how Sir Alex rates academy system, he would still find much playing time for Welbeck.

With RVP he would still get those 35-40 games, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.