Robin van Persie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't see us being in for him in any way
I am certain he'll be at City next season, the only benefit of us being in for him (amongst others) is that we could be driving the price up for them

mufcwarm92

Not for the sort of money this would cost. The closest is Berbatov, but his wages were about half what Van Persie would want. Plus he's made of glass, surely we won't fall into that trap again.
Berba was 27 when we signed him, hardly a veteran! The only ones I can think off are Sheringham and Blanc, but like you said neither cost silly money.

LARulz

As if Villa would go there :lol:

Barcelona wont be selling their Spanish players and RVP will cost less
I was thinking that too. But the other version of the story I read was Villa will just be sold (with Juve and PSG then likely) and Barca can then afford RVP.

Either way, I am 100% sure nothing will happen on the Barca front. They don't need him and would be probably cause more issues

Ekeke

Barcelona paid £40 million for Spain's highest ever goalscorer

His first season was a success, capped off by scoring a great goal against us in the champions league final. Last season he did have a long time out with injury and its pretty much inarguable that Villa was missed by them even though Sanchez settled in over time and did his part

There's pretty much no way Villa is going to be offloaded by Barcelona, not unless he has another season like the last where injury keeps him out. And even then I'm pretty sure Valencia would come in for him before the likes of Arsenal could get a sniff

Another huge glaring hole in the rumour that more than likely came from an Arsenal fan trying to come up with the best possible scenario for them after he heard RVP wasnt signing a new contract is :

If Barcelona got rid of Villa over concerns about his fitness, they arent going to sign a player who has been no more than half as fit as Villa over the years. Plus Villa plays wide for Barcelona with Messi in the middle and has looked far better in this position than RVP ever has. RVP is also 2 years younger, certainly not enough to throw one of your record signings out of the window to make the team younger

Come to think of it, even we are more likely to go back in for Villa as we were interested a few years ago just Villa had already agreed to go to Barcelona. We still had other players to play up front then and didnt 100% need him so I think we can consider him one of those players Sir Alex would sign regardless of what we already have. But of course the price would be a major factor. I dont think we'd be going in for him, I'm just saying theres more reason to believe we'd be more likely to sign him than someone like Arsenal

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
RVP is a good player and everything, but i will be pissed off if we sign him tbh.

We really dont need him, its a waste of money when we have welbeck and hernandez, and i would much rather put the money into a modric / moutinho etc.

Sure he will definitely score goals, but who will we bench? too many squares and round holes. Wont be good for squad moral.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Pedro played 5 less league games this season than 10-11 and 4 less than 09-10. Yes he might have been a substitute more often but he played more often than Rooney for example, so I'm not sure you could say it's particularly impacted him. Likewise Thiago played 45 times (again more than Rooney). The signings have allowed Barce to rotate more often and keep other players fresh, which I feel makes them a stronger team.

With Ibrahimovic in my opinion he just wasn't as good as others in his position and didn't suit Barce's style of play. That situation was far more like our signing of Berbatov.
Pedro scored just 5 La Liga goals last year, it seems clear he wasn't at his best last season and that could well be because of the increased competition. That's the kind of thing I'd prefer to avoid with Hernandez.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
RVP is a good player and everything, but i will be pissed off if we sign him tbh.

We really dont need him, its a waste of money when we have welbeck and hernandez, and i would much rather put the money into a modric / moutinho etc.

Sure he will definitely score goals, but who will we bench? too many squares and round holes. Wont be good for squad moral.
Wont be good for squad morale? Are you fecking kidding!?!?

It would bring a buzz to the entire team.

finneh

Pedro scored just 5 La Liga goals last year, it seems clear he wasn't at his best last season and that could well be because of the increased competition. That's the kind of thing I'd prefer to avoid with Hernandez.
It was exactly the same at United last season... Hernandez wasn't at his best so Welbeck played more often. The benefits of having a strong squad are that out of form players can be rotated.

Homeomorphic

This RvP thing is SO hilarious.

Manchester United fans:

Barcelona fans (from Barcelona forums):

He would be another self blinded ego,signing him would mean less playing time for either Alexis or Pedro and his injury record is a also a problem.
Messi, Villa and Pedro. Robin S.O Persie can stay far faaar away from Barca and La Liga.
I would hate Sandro even more if he ever signed Robin van Persie.
Manchester City fans (Bluemoon):

I don't want him..... Just cos He is 2 pro arsenal, let him go juventus
Nah, we don't need him
Sergio Agüero
Edin Džeko
Mario Balotelli
Carlos Tévez
John Guidetti

It's quite clear we don't need him. He is also a complete twat so if we did need another striker we should be looking elsewhere anyway.
Personally i think he's a bit overrated had he been 25 and not quite so injury prone i'd have said buy but the huge wage he wants and pushing 29 not so sure he'll improve on what we got
Quite popular this van Persie lad. I think Juventus is the only team genuinely interested in him. And they offered what? € 8 million? :lol:

acnumber9

I'm sure if anyone could be arsed trawling through those forums they'd find plenty that do want him.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Quite popular this van Persie lad. I think Juventus is the only team genuinely interested in him. And they offered what? € 8 million? :lol:
The City fans might not want him but their club is interested. Mancini has been told that he has to sell to buy, which is why I think he has let himself be linked with the Russia job. Straight after the season ended he was moaning that he needed to 'spend spend spend' again

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It was exactly the same at United last season... Hernandez wasn't at his best so Welbeck played more often. The benefits of having a strong squad are that out of form players can be rotated.
It also makes it that bit more difficult for the out of form players to find their rhythm again, and for young players it can be harmful to their development. That's all. Hernandez scored just 3 league goals less than last season, Pedro scored 8 less.

finneh

It also makes it that bit more difficult for the out of form players to find their rhythm again, and for young players it can be harmful to their development. That's all. Hernandez scored just 3 league goals less than last season, Pedro scored 8 less.
Just have to agree to disagree. If Hernandez and Welbeck are good enough they'd get plenty of game time to prove themselves, whether we signed another striker or not. Of course it shouldn't be a priority given the (im)balance of our squad but signing a World Class player could never be a bad thing.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Just have to agree to disagree. If Hernandez and Welbeck are good enough they'd get plenty of game time to prove themselves, whether we signed another striker or not. Of course it shouldn't be a priority given the (im)balance of our squad but signing a World Class player could never be a bad thing.
How many league games do you imagine Hernandez and Welbeck would start if we signed Van Persie?

finneh

How many league games do you imagine Hernandez and Welbeck would start if we signed Van Persie?
Well obviously that would depend on injuries. As a guess I'd say it'd be similar to the appearances of the 4 strikers during our treble season:

Rooney = Yorke at 47
RVP = Cole at 45
Welbeck/Hernandez = Sheringham at 36 and Solskjaer at 46

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's not as simple as that. In the long term, I think they'll be more than good enough, but Van Persie and Rooney are in a different league as forwards and both would really limit their playing time on the field.

towcester_red

He will go to City.

Given that I think we will play 4231 in a lot of our games we have enough strikers in Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez and the Powell for maybe the odd 10 minutes.

And then the useless Macheda.

Guy Incognito

The last thing Arsenal need is him doing a u-turn. I think if Juventus stump up the cash, he would go there, otherwise Citeh.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I reckon he might end up with his tail between his legs staying at Arsenal. I just can't see who will want him and afford him at least in terms of clubs a step up from Arsenal. City is the obvious one but will they really want to upset Aguero and Tevez and could be play in the same system that has worked for them? They have players working hard for each other not for a star striker which is probably a bit ironic considering the personalities there.

Madrid is the other obvious one or Juve, would Arsenal really let themselves be mugged in order to see a player that doesn't want to be there leave the club.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think he'll sign for Manchester City.

Status
Not open for further replies.