Robin van Persie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I am not a fan of buying Van Persie but it would probably be worth it just to see cantankerous Petes reaction.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I think it's the other way round - trophies and maybe some more cash too as a bonus.

RVP is an example of the problem, not the problem itself. That's a separate thread in the making.
Agreed.

I hate City as much as anyone on here but it cannot be denied that the 20 odd players they have signed with their £500m odd of spending are easily of the caliber to win a few more PL titles and the CL.

If he signs for City, he will win the PL in the time of his contract at least once and will have a real shot at a CL title too. Same can be said for United. Arsenal, no chance.

Over the last 5 years Arse have had the pieces needed to win a PL title but never all in one season. If they still had Fabregas and Nasri, with RvP, Wilshere etc AND invested in a couple more good players they would be a HELL of a team. I feel for Arsenal fans, it's disgraceful.

Anyways, favourites for RvP's signature? I reckon-

1. City
2. Real
3. United
- Juve

dmode

Personally, I find that Van Persie is not even better than Rooney, Chicarito and Wellbeck. He's had a good season 2011-2012 and he's been the only decent scorer for his team.

These arse players should show some gratitude to their team and coach. Thierry Henry was a gentleman compared to those mercenaries.

Aporkalypse

If we do need a fourth striker I'd rather bring through Will Keane than have RVP come in and potentially deny Welbeck and Hernandez chances. Not to mention the inevitable shitstorm about wages.

Revan

Assumptionman
Personally, I find that Van Persie is not even better than Rooney, Chicarito and Wellbeck. He's had a good season 2011-2012 and he's been the only decent scorer for his team.

These arse players should show some gratitude to their team and coach. Thierry Henry was a gentleman compared to those mercenaries.
Yet he decided to go to Barcelona and don't finish his career at Arsenal.

I'm finding RVP reason legit. He is a great player and he wants to win some trophies which in Arsenal can't. In City he can win them and also will be very well paid (which in this case I think is a bonus, not a neccesary).

About United, I think that he's better than both Chicha and Welbeck but his price tag, his wages combined with his age don't make him a good candidate to sign. And because our attack is one of the strongest in the world, I would like that those money to be spent in midfield than in another striker. In case he comes to us, than I think that one of Chicha or Young (if not both) would suffer very bad in game time.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky

:wenger: He's not better than Chico or Welbeck? Give me a break!! And Henry won his medals at Arsenal so the decision to stay was easy for a while, and the decision to go was motivated by money in the end.

feck RVP. We make our own stars, not sign others'. Do not want.
Erm...Rooney, Ronaldo, etc...... Terrible posts!

Varun

Staff

You can have your reasons for not wanting him here but to say he isnt a better player than Welbeck and Hernandez is just insanity.

Talented youngsters we made into stars. We hardly ever sign a 30yr old quality player. Or is he 29?

Cina

You just singled out 2 of our biggest ever proofs that we make stars instead of signing them, in order to disagree with a post where he said 'we make stars, not sign them'.

Hellboy

I want what you smoke man.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We also made Pogba & Fryers so good that they buggered off.

Irwinwastheking

You just singled out 2 of our biggest ever proofs that we make stars instead of signing them, in order to disagree with a post where he said 'we make stars, not sign them'.
Bad examples, tbf.
:lol: You couldn't have picked a worse counter argument!
So Rooney wasn't a star when we bought him?? Ronaldo was a starlet I'll give you that, but Rooney was there already.

I was just looking through the list of United players on Wiki and a good percentage of those have been bought as stars, or well on their way! I love our youth policy, and am not one whose always into the transfer forum, but I would love this guy.

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
feck RVP. We make our own stars, not sign others'. Do not want.
eric cantona
roy keane
rio ferdinand

all signed from rivals, didnt do too bad for the club.

just imagine if we said........."no i dont want keane/cantona/ferdinand id rather give time to nicky butt / wes brown etc" nothing against those players, good players, good servants and good careers however football clubs, especially top clubs like united need to bring in the best occasionally to help bring along youngsters.

you cant tell me nicky butt wasnt influenced in some way by roy keane, paul ince etc.

in the same way dannywelbeck and hernendez despite being different types of forward will develop much better with a senior world class presence

Cina

Neither Rio or Keane were established stars when we bought them, they were just recognised as having massive potential, which they fulfilled. And Cantona definitely wasn't a star, he wasn't even rated that highly when we got him, but SAF ended up getting the best out of him.

The last 'stars' we bought were probably Veron and RVN back in 02/03. Maybe Berbatov in 07 (at a push, because of his fee and age), other than that it's all been potentially great players or well established PL players capable of making the step up.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
So Rooney wasn't a star when we bought him?? Ronaldo was a starlet I'll give you that, but Rooney was there already.

I was just looking through the list of United players on Wiki and a good percentage of those have been bought as stars, or well on their way! I love our youth policy, and am not one whose always into the transfer forum, but I would love this guy.
Of course he wasn't a star.

londonredmaniac

Neither Rio or Keane were established stars when we bought them, they were just recognised as having massive potential, which they fulfilled. And Cantona definitely wasn't a star, he wasn't even rated that highly when we got him, but SAF ended up getting the best out of him.

The last 'stars' we bought were probably Veron and RVN back in 02/03. Maybe Berbatov in 07 (at a push, because of his fee and age), other than that it's all been potentially great players or well established PL players capable of making the step up.
I'd disagree slightly with rio tbf.

Cina

Rio had a big reputation but got slated to shite at Leeds and everyone thought we completely overpaid for him.

londonredmaniac

Rio had a big reputation but got slated to shite at Leeds and everyone thought we completely overpaid for him.
He was quality and it shone through. As I say I'd disagree ever so slightly but no debating he rest really. I know he got stick for being too much of a footballer. :lol: crazy.

Cina

You can't buy players for record transfer fees and say you 'made' them.
Who said we made them? Rooney wasn't one of the best players in the world when we bought him, he is now. Rio wasn't one of the greatest center backs of his generation when we bought him, he is now.

The point is that we generally don't spend our transfer money on already established world class players, we spend it on players with the potential to play at that level in the future.

Obviously there's the odd exception, like Veron and Berbatov, but they didn't exactly work out too well, so I'd prefer the other policy!

Zen

Rio WAS very much on the way to being one of the best though, even then, it was really him and Nesta above the rest, well with Thuram who is slightly older. Thus why we paid a fee that I think still hasn't been broken for a defender.

Irwinwastheking

Neither were stars, it's an awful example, give up.
Rooney was a star. You don't have to be one of the worlds elite, nor do you have to be at your peak to be a star.

Thanks for making my point then, we do buy stars.

This is going off topic, maybe I could have picked better examples, but to say that we don't buy stars is crazy. We were trying to by Wesley last summer, was he not a star? All I'm saying is that I would love to see him, I'm sure SAF has thought about it, but I can't see it happening.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
We made those two talented youngsters stars.
At least one of them if not both would've became one of the world's best players regardless of where they moved to. Both of them were named in the Euro 2004 team of the tournament (Rooney 18, Ronaldo 19). Rooney was named in it despite playing less than 20 of the 22 others, and he had the best goals per minute ratio. Rooney's the youngest player to appear in the Euro team of the tournament, and Ronaldo's the second youngest, and they're two of just 6 players to appear in it under the age of 21 (Bene, Breitner, Hoeness, Maldini being the others, only one of which was still in his teens). Let's not try and take too much credit for their development, they were exceptional young talents who with the right guidance were always going to turn into world-class players. Let's not be so arrogant as to believe that we're one of a select few clubs who can provide the right guidance to young players to develop their game. We might well be one of the best but many clubs are capable of developing their players well.

Varun

Staff
At least one of them if not both would've became one of the world's best players regardless of where they moved to. Both of them were named in the Euro 2004 team of the tournament (Rooney 18, Ronaldo 19). Rooney was named in it despite playing less than 20 of the 22 others, and he had the best goals per minute ratio. Rooney's the youngest player to appear in the Euro team of the tournament, and Ronaldo's the second youngest, and they're two of just 6 players to appear in it under the age of 21 (Bene, Breitner, Hoeness, Maldini being the others, only one of which was still in his teens). Let's not try and take too much credit for their development, they were exceptional young talents who with the right guidance were always going to turn into world-class players. Let's not be so arrogant as to believe that we're one of a select few clubs who can provide the right guidance to young players to develop their game. We might well be one of the best but many clubs are capable of developing their players well.
No one's actually saying all that though Brwned. People are just saying we buy young players and groom them rather than signing 30yr olds for huge money when they're already top notch players. We very rarely buy the RVPs of the world.

Cina

Rooney was a star. You don't have to be one of the worlds elite, nor do you have to be at your peak to be a star.

Thanks for making my point then, we do buy stars.

This is going off topic, maybe I could have picked better examples, but to say that we don't buy stars is crazy. We were trying to by Wesley last summer, was he not a star? All I'm saying is that I would love to see him, I'm sure SAF has thought about it, but I can't see it happening.
:rolleyes: 10 years ago you numpty.

Forget the word 'star' then, seeing as we seem to disagree here. But surely you can acknowledge that we just don't buy players like RVP. A 29 year old who would cost a bomb and demand huge wages, in a position we're well stocked up in.

The closest I can think of to that is Berbatov but he was only 27.

Like I said, for the majority, we buy youngsters with the potential to be great players, not already great players. That's what Chelsea and City try to do.

Brwned, none of that is wrong, but it also wasn't the argument. The argument was that we do not buy players like RVP, like I mentioned above. He's too old and would cost too much. Nobody is arguing how much talent Rooney & Ronaldo had and how likely they were to become great players.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
No one's actually saying all that though Brwned. People are just saying we buy young players and groom them rather than signing 30yr olds for huge money when they're already top notch players. We very rarely buy the RVPs of the world.
I was just taking it off on a tangent to make a point really. To say we 'made' Rooney or Ronaldo to me is a gross overstatement and terribly unfair to the two individuals themselves. Ronaldo in particular would've become one of the best players in the world at almost any big club, I reckon, because his desire to be the best is his defining feature as a player/professional.

I do agree that it's extremely rare for us to spend big money on established, world class players who only have a few years left at their peak.

:rolleyes: 10 years ago you numpty.

Forget the word 'star' then, seeing as we seem to disagree here. But surely you can acknowledge that we just don't buy players like RVP. A 29 year old who would cost a bomb and demand huge wages, in a position we're well stocked up in.

The closest I can think of to that is Berbatov but he was only 27.

Like I said, for the majority, we buy youngsters with the potential to be great players, not already great players. That's what Chelsea and City try to do.

Brwned, none of that is wrong, but it also wasn't the argument. The argument was that we do not buy players like RVP, like I mentioned above. He's too old and would cost too much. Nobody is arguing how much talent Rooney & Ronaldo had and how likely they were to become great players.
He said we made them stars. They were already stars by the age of 19, that was my point/argument.

Irwinwastheking

Read through some of my posts Cina. I've consistently said, not just in this thread, but in many others that I love United policy of buying youth and developing. That being said, I was arguing that the statement "we don't buy stars" is clearly bullshit.

Edit: Maybe a more accurate statement would be, 'We rarely buy stars'.

Cina

I see a star as an established, great player who has already proven themselves at the highest level for numerous years. I see a very talented 18 year old as a potential star. Hence why I pointed out your examples of Rooney and Ronaldo.

Especially Ronaldo, who most on here agree may never have become the player he is today had he gone to a Real or modern day City at that age.

I guess it's a bit like arguing the whole 'world class' thing. 'Star' is a word we see differently.

I do agree that it's extremely rare for us to spend big money on established, world class players who only have a few years left at their peak.
This was basically my point.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
They develop in our competitive team, I think it's kind of misleading to say we made them, that gives the impression that they come from our academies which isn't our strong point of United in the last 15 years.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
And you're usually a man of sense!
I still am.:D

That is why I said '' I'd take him regardless''. United in comparison, as you have been implying wouldn't even entertain the thought in all honesty. Unless he was on a free ala Sheringham..

I know he's class, it's just really against our policy to spend so much on a player of his age with an injury record like that.

But yeah, never ever.
Too true

Varun

Staff
I was just taking it off on a tangent to make a point really. To say we 'made' Rooney or Ronaldo to me is a gross overstatement and terribly unfair to the two individuals themselves. Ronaldo in particular would've become one of the best players in the world at almost any big club, I reckon, because his desire to be the best is his defining feature as a player/professional.

Ofcourse, both of them were immensely talented and certain to succeed almost everywhere. Its also about getting the right guidance and chance at the right age though. We are among the few top clubs in the world that always gives youth a chance even at the cost of bigger better known players.

Zen

I can't see him going for big money anyway. £15m max unless somekind of ridiculous bidding war starts for him, which would make ZERO sense since no team with that kind of money needs a striker that desperately, maybe Juve. He's kicked Arsenal in the nuts really, they could of got £20m+ for him prior to the announcement, now.....it's gonna be a struggle.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
The Kagawa signing would be classed a 'buying an established star' surely. He clearly was a star in Germany. Of course we have bought established stars in the past, although its more beneficial all round if they make the transition into stars whilst at your club.

Every club in the world would love to be able to 'create stars' whilst still being as successful as we have been, including Madrid, City, Chelsea, etc. They are just not as good at it as us and that is down to fergie and his staff. Our policy is a proven success and its no wonder we are sticking with it. Its all about getting the right balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.