Robin van Persie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

I.. Still think 20 million for a match winner like rvp is a pretty good deal all things considered.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I wonder if the interest in RvP was to hasten Welbeck into signing a new contract?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I wonder if the interest in RvP was to hasten Welbeck into signing a new contract?
I think his position at the club was safe anyway. And I don't think Fergie would say openly about Van Persie if he wasn't genuinely interested.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
ARSENAL were last night set to cave in and strike a deal with Manchester United for Robin van Persie. They are ready to start serious talks with United boss Alex Ferguson hoping to seal a £22million move before the weekend’s Premier League opener.

-Charlie Wyett, The Sun.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It could have the adverse effect surely? "I'm not signing this contract to be 3rd choice".

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
This thread is going on it's own never ending cycle.

'This will take weeks to sort out'
'This will go on until the 31st'
'Yeah, last day job this'
'Why hasn't he signed yet'
'Getting tired of this now'
'Boring me now, get it over with one way or the other'
'This will take weeks to sort out'
'This will go on until the 31st'
'Yeah, last day job this'
'Why hasn't he signed yet'
'Getting tired of this now'
'Boring me now, get it over with one way or the other'

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Great player but way over priced. He will be spending more time at the physios and on the field. Last year was his lucky healthy year.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
RVP + United's Injury problems = disaster.

Still want him mind.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Great player but way over priced. He will be spending more time at the physios and on the field. Last year was his lucky healthy year.
hope you are wrong about his injuries....:nervous:

As for the price...did we not pay about 20 million for Young? think 22 million will be seen to be trivial once we see Rooney and RVP up front together.

They will be lethal.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We can't do that, mate - we'd have to wait until his contract is one month from expiration. Foreign clubs could do it though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Think that this is still a bad deal for United in the long term but for short term gain it could be a master stroke. We saw how he carried Arsenal at times last season and he could play a key part in getting the title back to OT. Then again, of you manage to bite straight back at city then it could help in the long term of United too as back to back titles for City could boost their confidence significantly.

gbgary

hope you are wrong about his injuries....:nervous:

As for the price...did we not pay about 20 million for Young? think 22 million will be seen to be trivial once we see Rooney and RVP up front together.

They will be lethal.
yup...I think 22 is a steal compared to what's gone down this summer.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
We can't do that, mate - we'd have to wait until his contract is one month from expiration. Foreign clubs could do it though.
Yep. FM is useful for shit like this! Where'd we be without it?

Liam147

On Probation
Think that this is still a bad deal for United in the long term but for short term gain it could be a master stroke. We saw how he carried Arsenal at times last season and he could play a key part in getting the title back to OT. Then again, of you manage to bite straight back at city then it could help in the long term of United too as back to back titles for City could boost their confidence significantly.
I think people underestimate this. Winning the title straight back would be excellent. And I think the signing of RVP would do that. All of a sudden those glory hunters thousands of miles away might just put their blue shirts back on the shelves. Winning the title for the second year running and a lot of people really would believe the power had shifted. Big season this one.

Ringo 07

RVP would be phenomenal here even if we have to put up with his injuries from time to time but the striker position is definitely where we have our best cover when injuries hit if he signs. I think Fergie desperately wanted an older striker so that by the time they start to get on the wane in a few years then Welbeck or Chicharito will be ready and experienced enough then to step right into their shoes. Fingers crossed this deal goes through. Would defo be cocks out time and gunners shouldnt be too disappointed as they get top dollar and a guarantee that Wenger will have a top top player ready to take his place

1999united2008

one of the rare days I hope something in The Sun is actually accurate rather than made up horse manure like their stories normally are...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Do you think that paying 22m for a 29 year old injury prone player is compliant with SAF's policy?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We'll only pay what we're comfortable with. It's not like we're stretching our budget. For 20+ million, we're making a statement. We want to be successful. Sometimes you get the feeling some would be happy if he went City. He would strengthen city....

He does get injuries, like every player - but that's what the squad is for. Just imagine if Rooney get's injured (God forbid), what an option to have? We'll be made to pay more. We know the reasons for that. If he helped us win back the league, it will have been worth it. That's no certainty but he will lift the other players going into the seasons opener.

And i'm sure Arsenal will be as competitive as ever. I hope so anyway.

Woodzy

I agree. If we feel we're paying too much we will pull out. We've done it before with many top players and I doubt this will be any different. A lot of people will change their tunes when he bangs in a couple past Everton and Fulham.

And no doubt change it back when he walks off injured against Southampton.

devilish

We'll only pay what we're comfortable with. It's not like we're stretching our budget. For 20+ million, we're making a statement. We want to be successful. Sometimes you get the feeling some would be happy if he went City.

He does get injuries, like every player - but that's what the squad is for. Just imagine if Rooney get's injured (God forbid), what an option to have? We'll be made to pay more. We know the reasons for that. If he helped us win back the league, it will have been worth it. That's no certainty but he will lift the other players going into the seasons opener.

And i'm sure Arsenal will be as competitive as ever. I hope so anyway.
The thing is that for once there are better options around. Cavani and Llorente are seasoned world class players who are at the right age and aren't injury prone.

Its seems that United are desperate to make a statement without spending alot of dosh in the process. This is leading us to a 29 yr old injury prone player who will probably enforce the already negative attitude United have towards 'marquee' signings.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The thing is that for once there are better options around. Cavani and Llorente are seasoned world class players who are at the right age and aren't injury prone.
Sure but RVP is proven in the premiership (though I do like Llorente). However i'm a big believer, we've not had a better trio of youth strikers in Keane, King and Cofie (in my time watching anyway). I'm hoping all three make it because all three have great potential and I rate them all over kiko. Robin at 29, I don't think will hamper them in the long run and he's good enough to get 20+ goals a season which would take the pressure off Hernandez and Welbeck.

Don't forget we did go for Lucas and would have got him, baring him being a pillock and signing for that small French club

devilish

Sure but RVP is proven in the premiership (though I do like Llorente). However i'm a big believer, we've not had a better trio of youth strikers in Keane, King and Cofie (in my time watching anyway). I'm hoping all three make it because all three have great potential and I rate them all over kiko. Robin at 29, I don't think will hamper them in the long run and he's good enough to get 20+ goals a season which would take the pressure off Hernandez and Welbeck.

Don't forget we did go for Lucas and would have got him, baring him being a pillock and signing for that small French club
In my opinion, if a kid is good enough then he'll make it. Darren Fletcher (whose no Paul Scholes) was able to shape a great career with us despite having to compete with new boys Hargreaves, Ando and Carrick. Welbeck was capable of sending a 30m signing on the bench for good.

Now my argument is pretty simple. If I had to choose between two proven players one of which is 29 yr old injury prone talent and the other is 2-4 yrs younger then Ill choose the latter. RVP was value when he was rated 10-15m but at 22m we can aim for higher.

And lets stop with this 'nearly signing' Lucas. We're sounding like Spurs. We need to acknowledge that many players will not stop negotiations with other clubs just because Man Utd had stepped in. There are richer clubs out there preying on common targets. Therefore our transfer tactic must be low profile and swift so that we avoid having to compete with the likes of Real and PSG.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Personally I don't think we need another striker. RVP is injury prone and will be wanting to start every game. We have just bought Kagawa, and already have Rooney, Welbeck and Hernandez on our books (plus Berbatov for now).

Seems ludicrous to be buying another attacker. We should be getting 2 quality CMs in before we look at signing forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.