6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

T A

I think Rom is still positively contributing to the overall team performances. Aggressive, not minding involving in duels, there were few times against Watford, he was dropping so deeply tracking back opponents, even deeper than both Lingard and Martial's positions to give some extra defence.

Rom missed a sole opening opportunity and everybody didnt care to notice that he also gave an assist for Martial's third goal - the fourth one this season, making him the top Premier League assist among strikers.

Jose said after that match Rom knew there was no pressure from him for not scoring, stating Rom's performance was phenomenal. I think Jose must had decent reasons to be satisfied with his disciple. Maybe all this were specific instructions from Jose to strecht opponents defensive line toward Rom, so that our other attackers could benefit from the space opponent's defenders left blank behind.

As well as we keep producing load of goals, i dont see many problems in Rom's drought. We can even be happier because our striker could do all Benzema support stuffs when needed

RedWelshDevil

Don’t know why he’s getting a lot of stick for not scoring recently. I mean yes he is supposed to be our main point of attack, and yes last year this would of been a problem given that we were so reliant on Zlatan.

But this year the whole team is chipping in. He could be selfish and do what Alan Shearer said on match of the day a few weeks ago and just stick to the width of the 18 yard box, but he’s not, he was even back in left back defending against Watford! I think this is why Mourinho is saying there is no pressure on him as he’s happy he’s putting a shift in.

I apologise if I’ve regurgitated previous made points but the fact stands and Lukaku is still well on his way to scoring above 20 goals this season for us and we have to remember he is still only 24 and will keep improving and United is the best club for him to do that imho.

Reactions: Big-Red

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan
Most ridiculous thing I've read on here today.
Really? Lets see it for what it is.
I ofc think he is on epl level but not his latest performances and that was my point. Not many clubs would play their main striker based on his latest stats of 1 goal in 11 games if they had options at least not any of the top clubs. Pair that with some 58% ish passing accuracy and missing open goal in his latest game. Its really really poor no matter how you see it. If united had not been winning regardless so his out of form stint would have affected points instead of just his own stats, not many here would have accepted him as a starter still imo. At least not if there was options. And no if he keeps playing like his latest performances he will not be a starter at this club since the performances are just not good enough.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I ofc think he is on epl level but not his latest performances and that was my point. Not many clubs would play their main striker based on his latest stats of 1 goal in 11 games if they had options at least not any of the top clubs. Pair that with some 58% ish passing accuracy and missing open goal in his latest game. Its really really poor no matter how you see it. If united had not been winning regardless so his out of form stint would have affected points instead of just his own stats, not many here would have accepted him as a starter still imo. At least not if there was options. And no if he keeps playing like his latest performances he will not be a starter at this club since the performances are just not good enough.
He won't be a starter for us if he doesn't pick it up, and I would like to see Martial starting as a striker for us with Rashford on the left.

But still, your initial claim was that he wasn't even epl class lately, which he clearly is and has been.

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan
He won't be a starter for us if he doesn't pick it up, and I would like to see Martial starting as a striker for us with Rashford on the left.

But still, your initial claim was that he wasn't even epl class lately, which he clearly is and has been.
I dont think he has been if you only take into account his latest 11 games. Just a question of how you interpret "lately" i guess. Thought it was fairly obvious i was talking about his poor stint.

Dante

Average bang
His recent performances are proof positive that boos/negativity at the ground can adversely affect a player. Ever since that groan a few matches ago, Lukaku has started to doubt himself and snatch at chances. The miss against Watford wouldn't have happened earlier in the season. The pressure he feels is a direct result of fearing a repeat.

T A

You definitely forget this entire list:

- Morata (2 goals/11 last matches - all competitions)
- Firmino (2 goals/12 last matches - Premier League)
- Ronaldo (2 goals/9 last matches - La Liga)
- Benzema (2 goals/13 first matches - all competitions), not his first long drought at Real, also he was very famous with the drought approximately 13 matches lasting for years at France NT.
- Suarez (1 goal/13 last matches - Champions League)

Also i check Rom's pass completion. According to Squawka:

- At Premier League, his ratio is 68%, not too bad comparing to Morata and Firmino (both 70%), just got beaten by Kane (75%).
- At Champions League, his ratio is 74% - leverage with Kane, beating Firmino (70%) and closing to Morata (76%)

Bobski

Just on his weight. As a comparison to a somewhat similar player, Louis Saha. During his comeback from his latest injury in his last season with Utd, looked as if Saha had spent a fair amount of time in the weights room during his rehab. It might just be the effect of cumulative effect of injuries but he was much less nimble/agile with the additional mass.

We also have other recent examples at the club. Depay bulked up and it limited his impact in dribbling. Valencia also added a lot of extra muscle, if you look back at his first season with the club he was quite lean in comparison to later years. Even at Madrid, Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale all bulked up but in the last couple of years the first 2 at least have clearly looked towards a leaner build, stamina and longevity perhaps the goal.

Something for Lukaku to explore perhaps as he looks to maximize his ability.

red4ever11

Nothing much to see here.... We paid half the money for Lukaku than Kane would have cost us and we got half the player... Go figure.

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan
You definitely forget this entire list:

- Morata (2 goals/11 last matches - all competitions)
- Firmino (2 goals/12 last matches - Premier League)
- Ronaldo (2 goals/9 last matches - La Liga)
- Benzema (2 goals/13 first matches - all competitions), not his first long drought at Real, also he was very famous with the drought approximately 13 matches lasting for years at France NT.
- Suarez (1 goal/13 last matches - Champions League)

Also i check Rom's pass completion. According to Squawka:

- At Premier League, his ratio is 68%, not too bad comparing to Morata and Firmino (both 70%), just got beaten by Kane (75%).
- At Champions League, his ratio is 74% - leverage with Kane, beating Firmino (70%) and closing to Morata (76%)

This list has nothing to do with what i said? Im not under the impression that no other striker is or was ever on a poor stint?

Neither of those players above kept beeing fielded because of their stats, they just like lukaku, were played because of the names on their backs during those stints and rightfully so. Lukaku do not have and should not have anywhere near the "capital" as ronaldo benzema or suarez etc in terms of beeing kept on the pitch even without results.

And the 58% passing completetion i mentioned for lukaku was in the lastest game not his average for the season and hes not even trying to make difficult passes which is concerning considering that percentage.

Im not saying lukaku is rubbish and have always been. Im saying lately he has been playing like he is rubbish and its hard to look past that atm.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His recent performances are proof positive that boos/negativity at the ground can adversely affect a player. Ever since that groan a few matches ago, Lukaku has started to doubt himself and snatch at chances. The miss against Watford wouldn't have happened earlier in the season. The pressure he feels is a direct result of fearing a repeat.
Which is why you need to have a very strong mentality to play for a top club. He's never been tested like this before. I'm sure he'll be a good player for us, he already is, but whether he'll elevate his game I'm not sure of..

lex talionis

Lukaku is suffering a drop in confidence in chance situations but his form hasn't fallen off that much. He needs to beat a defender to restore his confidence and Mertesacker just might be the man for the job.

Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He keeps getting on the shoulder of the last man screaming for a through ball and we’re just not releasing him, preferring a slower build up wide with players in support. We need to start trusting him and throwing men behind him for the follow up.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I dunno, a lot of moves are breaking down due to him now.

He's still contributing to the build up, but with a better CF we could be 3 or 4 up by now.

I like him, and I want him to succeed here, but it's just getting to that point where the 'flat track bully' tag he had at Everton is really starting to become apparent again.

Needs a goal in a big game.

NinjaFletch

I think he's trying to say that counter-attacks and moves usually break down at Lukaku because he's technically the weakest of the forwards........ but I could be wrong :lol:
Well maybe that is what he means, but he'd be a moron if it is.

PepsiCola

I think he's trying to say that counter-attacks and moves usually break down at Lukaku because he's technically the weakest of the forwards........ but I could be wrong :lol:
Indeed. His off the ball movement isn't the best and he isn't on the same wavelength as martial.

Also looks more dangerous in our own box than in Arsenals.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Nutter. He’s leading the line well today.

Zoo

Been really good. His general play has definitely gone up a level this season. He’ll be back in the goals soon enough too.

Traub

Didn't he play a good ball for Martial in the build-up to the second goal??

binary bot
His linkup play has surprised me.

He’s the most deceivingly quick player around, like Yaya Toure when he gets space in front of him.

KYcinco

I dont know if its just me but he seems so much lighter on his feet, his dribbling style has changed a little ( for this game at least)

great build up play!

Status
Not open for further replies.