Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Everyone who's criticising Lukaku has seen the stats mate. It's not like you've discovered some hidden truth that the rest of us don't appreciate.

What I (and, I imagine, the other critics) are saying is quite simple. Lukaku is clearly going to score goals against the lesser teams - he's too quick and powerful for them. But against the better teams he's going to struggle because his touch and awareness aren't good enough. Everyone said it before he arrived and he's proving the doubters right so far.

He's plundered plenty of goals against the weaker sides, and that's great, but against the top sides - Real Madrid, Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs - he's struggled. He's only scored one goal, a tap-in against RM in the Super Cup, and only really played well in one game - Arsenal, the weakest of those top teams.

None of the Lukaku critics has an agenda, we just don't think he's got the technique to thrive against the top teams, which Manchester United need.

But hey, if you want to think this is just biased, agenda-driven rubbish, go ahead.
I hear what you're saying but I don't think it's fair to start writing the guy off (not that you're doing it but others are) based on him not scoring so many against the bigger teams. It's a squad issue we have on the whole, not just an isolated issue that falls at the feet of Lukaku.

Once we can start putting more quality balls in the box from midfield, those stats will all change. He has no issues scoring when he gets quality service, which usually coincides with Pogba, Young or Valencia playing well.

JohnnyKills

I hear what you're saying but I don't think it's fair to start writing the guy off (not that you're doing it but others are) based on him not scoring so many against the bigger teams. It's a squad issue we have on the whole, not just an isolated issue that falls at the feet of Lukaku.

Once we can start putting more quality balls in the box from midfield, those stats will all change. He has no issues scoring when he gets quality service, which usually coincides with Pogba, Young or Valencia playing well.
Thing is, it feels like the game's moved past that 'get it in the box' tactic. You look at the best teams and they play a more fluid style - feels like we've got to play a more limited game to suit Lukaku and it won't bring out the best from those around him.

Litch

So he only scores goals against 90% of the teams in the league rather than 10%? Hmmmm.....
The only thing he can do is score goals Hmmmm......
He doesn't have a first touch when anyone who actually plays the game knows that's what actually sets up the opportunity to score lots of goals...Hmmmmm

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why have people turned all the criticism around him around him not showing up in big games? There are probably lot of other attrbitues we should be more worried about, and then worry about his lack og goals in big games.

Greck

So he only scores goals against 90% of the teams in the league rather than 10%? Hmmmm.....
The only thing he can do is score goals Hmmmm......
He doesn't have a first touch when anyone who actually plays the game knows that's what actually sets up the opportunity to score lots of goals...Hmmmmm
Might want to check that math. 5 of 19 isn't 10%. And everyone knows the real issues around him right now goes beyond his goals (or lack thereof). Can appreciate fans like you that want to give him the benefit of the doubt but it's also silly to say the concerns around his all round abilities are unreasonable

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Yeah, maybe it's just me that prefers to focus on the actual goal stats instead of writing him off because of how he looks when he strikes the ball or runs. Guess I'm just focusing on things that aren't important to an elite club.
No, what you're doing is basically saying that a map (some stats) is more important than the actual terrain (what he does on the pitch in various games)

crossy1686

career ending
Thing is, it feels like the game's moved past that 'get it in the box' tactic. You look at the best teams and they play a more fluid style - feels like we've got to play a more limited game to suit Lukaku and it won't bring out the best from those around him.
There's only City, Barcelona and possibly Napoli that play that kind of football. I think the biggest issue we're having this season is that City look so good. Everyone seems to be blaming our players and manager for not being City. All the teams that won major trophies last season play a more 'traditional' style of football.

JohnnyKills

There's only City, Barcelona and possibly Napoli that play that kind of football. I think the biggest issue we're having this season is that City look so good. Everyone seems to be blaming our players and manager for not being City. All the teams that won major trophies last season play a more 'traditional' style of football.
Yeah agree, City's amazing football is making us look worse.

Litch

Might want to check that math. 5 of 19 isn't 10%. And everyone knows the real issues around him right now goes beyond his goals (or lack thereof). Can appreciate fans like you that want to give him the benefit of the doubt but it's also silly to say the concerns around his all round abilities are unreasonable
No need to check my maths as not sure where you get the 5 from either. Theres no science in defining top 5 anymore than playing teams that are in form. My point is there's not another player on the team that people examine their game in a forensic way...all round abilities? That's like saying DDG doesnt save enough penalities. It's pure stupidity and given there's only Kane who is the only 'like for like' forward who's scored more and Roms got the 'lack of all round game' but still has the more assists again makes the comments ridiculous.

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
Dump Lukaku asap. Let's focus on the two mercurial striking talents we have, instead of shunting them out wide in favor of this less talented, unintelligent poacher who we should have never signed in the first place. I already posted this in another thread, but, United would be brilliant if we lined up this way under a more attack oriented manager. (All we really need is a good rb):

Martial ---- Rashford

Shaw ----- Pogba ------ Pereira ----- Meunier

-- Herrera --

--- Blind --- Smalling --- Lindelof ---

--- De Gea ---
We’d probably be less prolific than we are now. For all of Martial and rashfords ability on the ball and speed on the 1v1 neither is anywhere near as prolific as Lukaku. He’s flawed but it’s early, compare Pogba last season to this, it takes time plus it’s not like he’s been as bad as people claim, we love to overreact like we did when he was banging them in for fun at the beginning of the year, it’s not his fault that he’s had to play so isolated up top recently which has made him look worse than he is

whatwha

No need to check my maths as not sure where you get the 5 from either. Theres no science in defining top 5 anymore than playing teams that are in form. My point is there's not another player on the team that people examine their game in a forensic way...all round abilities? That's like saying DDG doesnt save enough penalities. It's pure stupidity and given there's only Kane who is the only 'like for like' forward who's scored more and Roms got the 'lack of all round game' but still has the more assists again makes the comments ridiculous.
:lol:

Doctor Everton

Supports
everton
I dont think people understand his large presence draws defenders close to him exposing space elsewhere. Mind you, he is pretty soft for his size. I wish he would improve his hold up play more and play almost as a false 9 at times. Hoping that improves. I dont want him to dribble like he does at times. Thats not the striker he is. He should use his attributes
Think this is spot on and justifies his present selection, unfortunately, his lack of technique is far more visual hence if he ain't notching he looks a bit of a liability. Despite all his goals for us his nickname was "rubber shins" :eek:

Kweku Amonoo

I see many posters have found issue with my earlier post, but I stand by it 100%. Look, Martial is a striker and so is Rashford. Both have way higher ceilings than big Rom. We're shunting them out wide cos they have experience playing there when they were younger, are pacey and can dribble. We should be developing them both in the position they can potentially become world class in. I don't even see how Lukaku is a better finisher than those two. He's older and he's had the opportunity of constantly playing as a 9.

Lukaku for all the stats, will never be an elite. He will post great numbers but when it comes to it, in a crunch match versus a top side, he will neither be composed enough or talented enough. Why not get a striker who can cut it versus all manner of teams. Oh, we even have two of them. Someone said some of us fans always want a shiny new toy, and seem to forget Lukaku himself is a shiny new toy. Only he doesn't shine as much.

Matic wasn't in my team because I remember clearly how well Herrera did in that role last year. He had comparable numbers to freaking Kante. Broke into the Spanish team cos of his great performances there. He was a revelation. Come the new season and we have again, a not so shiny new toy albeit a taller one in Matic. Reset again, just when he'd thought he'd found a role he could thrive in. He has to re-adjust while we had pressing issues at right back and left back. It also showed a lack of trust in him by the manager and has deteriorated his confidence. Pereira is a great midfield prospect who's determined to become great. He should be here playing week in, week out.

Blind is probably the most intelligent player we have and more than capable of dealing with many a striker in this league including Lukaku himself. He's also a great passer of the ball and would help with ball retention and circulation. But no, let's go with the more abrasive unintelligent Bailly just because he tackles like he wants to kill somebody. We've been constantly complaining about how we lack quality players, yet even the ones we do have are not being used to the best of their abilities. They're being benched in favour of taller, more robust and less technically gifted players.

We won't go anywhere if we're going to be constantly chopping and changing and adjusting to a new signing every transfer window. We have some great players and some who are going to be, we should develop them. Find systems that'll work for them and stop buying technically inept players like Lukaku. God knows it'll be better for us long term. Even Real Madrid are trying to develop their very talented youngsters. Sacrificing short term success for long term greatness.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wish we had Welbeck leading our line, his first touch, link up play was just :drool:

whatwha

I see many posters have found issue with my earlier post, but I stand by it 100%. Look, Martial is a striker and so is Rashford. Both have way higher ceilings than big Rom. We're shunting them out wide cos they have experience playing there when they were younger, are pacey and can dribble. We should be developing them both in the position they can potentially become world class in. I don't even see how Lukaku is a better finisher than those two. He's older and he's had the opportunity of constantly playing as a 9.

Lukaku for all the stats, will never be an elite. He will post great numbers but when it comes to it, in a crunch match versus a top side, he will neither be composed enough or talented enough. Why not get a striker who can cut it versus all manner of teams. Oh, we even have two of them. Someone said some of us fans always want a shiny new toy, and seem to forget Lukaku himself is a shiny new toy. Only he doesn't shine as much.

Matic wasn't in my team because I remember clearly how well Herrera did in that role last year. He had comparable numbers to freaking Kante. Broke into the Spanish team cos of his great performances there. He was a revelation. Come the new season and we have again, a not so shiny new toy albeit a taller one in Matic. Reset again, just when he'd thought he'd found a role he could thrive in. He has to re-adjust while we had pressing issues at right back and left back. It also showed a lack of trust in him by the manager and has deteriorated his confidence. Pereira is a great midfield prospect who's determined to become great. He should be here playing week in, week out.

Blind is probably the most intelligent player we have and more than capable of dealing with many a striker in this league including Lukaku himself. He's also a great passer of the ball and would help with ball retention and circulation. But no, let's go with the more abrasive unintelligent Bailly just because he tackles like he wants to kill somebody. We've been constantly complaining about how we lack quality players, yet even the ones we do have are not being used to the best of their abilities. They're being benched in favour of taller, more robust and less technically gifted players.

We won't go anywhere if we're going to be constantly chopping and changing and adjusting to a new signing every transfer window. We have some great players and some who are going to be, we should develop them. Find systems that'll work for them and stop buying technically inept players like Lukaku. God knows it'll be better for us long term. Even Real Madrid are trying to develop their very talented youngsters. Sacrificing short term success for long term greatness.
I just think that when you are proposing one controversial move, dropping our new £90m striker, it's not the right time to include two other controversial suggestions (Herrera and Blind) at the same time. It becomes easier to attack your post.

BigCaine

You cannot seriously be comparing a keeper's ability to save penalties with a striker's ability to keep hold of the ball under slightest pressure and his first touch.

Also if top 5 doesn't work for you how about the top 6 clubs, Utd, City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool. These are the best English teams for sometime now ignoring the temporary blips.

Lukaku in his career has 15 goals against them in 57 games, He has failed to score against Chelsea in 7 games, has 1 in 8 against Tottenham, has 5 against Liverpool in 12 games but has failed to score against them since Oct 2015. He has 4 in 10 against City and 2 in 12 against Arsenal. These are not great stats for a man utd striker.

If you compare that with likes of aguero, Kane even someone like vardy he comes up well below them, in last 3 seasons Vardy has 19 in 37 a period in which Lukaku managed 5 in 36 while Kane had 14 in 27 while Aguero 20 in 28 in the same period.

Litch

You cannot seriously be comparing a keeper's ability to save penalties with a striker's ability to keep hold of the ball under slightest pressure and his first touch.

Also if top 5 doesn't work for you how about the top 6 clubs, Utd, City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool. These are the best English teams for sometime now ignoring the temporary blips.

Lukaku in his career has 15 goals against them in 57 games, He has failed to score against Chelsea in 7 games, has 1 in 8 against Tottenham, has 5 against Liverpool in 12 games but has failed to score against them since Oct 2015. He has 4 in 10 against City and 2 in 12 against Arsenal. These are not great stats for a man utd striker.

If you compare that with likes of aguero, Kane even someone like vardy he comes up well below them, in last 3 seasons Vardy has 19 in 37 a period in which Lukaku managed 5 in 36 while Kane had 14 in 27 while Aguero 20 in 28 in the same period.
I don't agree. The stuff about his first touch is absolute crap. Have you seen his stats so far this season? Collectively better than any striker in the prem. Is someone really suggesting that you can score and assist goals without a first touch. Really? If not, this is the luckiest lad to put on a pair of boots. Let's not forget he's broken the goal scoring record for his international team at only 24.

I'm not bothered about the top 5 or 6 teams as scoring against them is not the barometer of your football ability nor does it determine whether you won the games or not. You could score every time and lost or less but it's the winner. Also let's not forget Kane or Aguero weren't playing for Everton.

Honestly I don't get it, he's only one of only five players to score 50 Premier League goals before his 23rd birthday, and the fourth player (and first foreigner) to score 80 before his 24th birthday. 80 goals with no bloody first touch....absolute pure stupidity. Some Utd fans need to find another dog to kick...

Oh, the keeper reference is we aren't under any illusions that we expect DDG to be good at everything, just the things that are the most important. For me a striker is to score goals, and only Kane as a striker has score more this season than Rom....

Last edited:

BigCaine

I don't agree. The stuff about his first touch is absolute crap. Have you seen his stats so far this season? Collectively better than any striker in the prem. Is someone really suggesting that you can score and assist goals without a first touch. Really? If not, this is the luckiest lad to put on a pair of boots. Let's not forget he's broken the goal scoring record for his international team at only 24.

I'm not bothered about the top 5 or 6 teams as scoring against them is not the barometer of your football ability nor does it determine whether you won the games or not. You could score every time and lost or less but it's the winner. Also let's not forget Kane or Aguero weren't playing for Everton.

Honestly I don't get it, he's only one of only five players to score 50 Premier League goals before his 23rd birthday, and the fourth player (and first foreigner) to score 80 before his 24th birthday. 80 goals with no bloody first touch....absolute pure stupidity. Some Utd fans need to find another dog to kick...

Oh, the keeper reference is we aren't under any illusions that we expect DDG to be good at everything, just the things that are the most important. For me a striker is to score goals, and only Kane as a striker has score more this season than Rom....
His first touch is poor you can keep disagreeing as much as you want but it is what it is, he isn't a poor player just not a good enough to be our star man, he does a great job scoring against smaller team but he is really bad against the good ones.

edgar allan

We could have just bought Benteke and put the 50 million savings into the Glaziers dividends.

Benteke scored yesterday and had an assist so by the logic on here he must have played really well and has a good first touch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In before comparisons with Crouch and Heskey starts.

IrishRedDevil

When we give him decent service he scores goals, it's as simple as that.

We really need to start crossing more balls as he is a beast attacking the ball like that.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Been obvious for a long time. Just cross it to him. Good lad.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What crisis? fecking feed the man some chances and he'll score.
Yep. The stick he took after City game was a disgrace.

I'm personally very impressed at how much he has contributed in his first few months adjusting to life at a massive club while his team mates and manager get used to getting the best out of him.

If he had Scholes Giggs and Beckham supplying him, he'd out score RVN.

SER19

Word is he didn't celebrate as he's read the matchday thread, it's a poignant tribute to the death of red cafe

Witchking

Very happy for Lukaku to score. He more he scores, the more he will be confident of finishing off the next chance.

I hope we keep feeding him these kind of crosses as they are his strong point.

Status
Not open for further replies.