Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Nope, it’s a difference in opinion. Away to Leicester was good, but I saw something stylistically against Everton that I didn’t know we had, and I’d like to see more of it.

I’ve said before, I’d like to see Lukaku on the right if anything. Ultimately though, yes, I do not believe he is the man to build our attack around for the next 4 or 5 years, I think we can develop a better team if we went in a different direction.
We can play Lukaku and not build team around him too. Benzema, Suarez, Morata/Costa, Firmino all lead the lines but team isn't built around them or they are the best goal scorers in the team (in Suarez's case he was once or twice).

prath92

Dominance is not my point. We dominated at home against Fulham under Moyes, where we must have broken a record for aimless crosses into the box.

My point was actual quality. There was far more control and purpose against Everton. In my opinion, that was the most class I’ve seen in our play. We barely put a cross in all game, and fashioned real chances with one touch play and movement.
We did that against many many teams. Leicester away, Newcastle home etc. stop acting as if Everton away was some kind of pinnacle match especially when we won thanks to two wonder goals.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We did that against many many teams. Leicester away, Newcastle home etc. stop acting as if Everton away was some kind of pinnacle match especially when we won thanks to two wonder goals.
I can act how I see fit if that’s my interpretation. I saw a difference in the Everton game. If you didn’t, fair enough.

Ban

Yes. His build up play was excellent, all I was saying was that he took an age to rearrange his body to use the right foot and hit it straight at the keeper. Just responding to the 'what a goal' comment. It was a good goal taking into account the hold up play he showed.
Yeah I think the goal per se was ok but the build up play was very good.

prath92

I can act how I see fit if that’s my interpretation. I saw a difference in the Everton game. If you didn’t, fair enough.
If you think this Everton game last week where we won 2-0 to two wonder goals after barely doing anything most of the first half was our best game in 2 seasons simply because lukaku (or ibra) wasn’t there, then I have to doubt whether you are actually watching us.

roonster09

Scout
If you think this Everton game last week where we won 2-0 to two wonder goals after barely doing anything most of the first half was our best game in 2 seasons simply because lukaku (or ibra) wasn’t there, then I have to doubt whether you are actually watching us.
I don't think we even created very good chances like we did against Leicester, just some of the play outside was good.

Antonedwin

He is the best striker we could possibly buy in last transfer window , it's either buying him or using rashford till zlatan recover . ,No better choice , morata & laca unproven in epl , kane impossible
So i am Glad we bought him , if any of our rival bought him & he performs like he is with us ( 21 goal & assist )
i bet you all would be fuming & questioning why we didn't go for him

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think it was the best game because of the football we played. Stop being a fecking moron. I’m done here.

cyberman

We couldn't even get in behind Evertons backline, ironically enough the play broke down when we got close to their box.
That also ignore the fact it was all about Pogba taking on 2 men at a time from standing starts.

LoneStar

Fantastic hold up play for the second goal. Thought he did well today. Hope that gets him going on a run now, needs that. Hoofball football was also not helping him, glad we are looking like we are moving away from that.

Walters_19_MuFc

I like him and think hes perfectly good enough to be our main striker but lets not pretend that was anything other than a screwed up first touch!
I'm not pretending. Did you not read my post? The ball Martial played was slightly behind him and his touch weren't the best, but to then step over the ball and allow it to run through his legs to get him into a shooting opportunity showed great improvisation.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Our best games came with Lukaku in the first 10 games of the season where we were smashing teams 4-0 for fun.

It seems we have some of the LVG cult in this thread; better to pass the ball for the whole game than create good chances.

Acole9

Outstanding
Looked fairly sharp in the match on Friday, looks a lot happier now which is good to see.

AshRK

Why does it says Lukaku has 16 goals to his name when it should be 17 in all competition. Isn't the supercup game included? Technically it does count as an official game, doesn't it?

el3mel

Why does it says Lukaku has 16 goals to his name when it should be 17 in all competition. Isn't the supercup game included? Technically it does count as an official game, doesn't it?
It's 16 including the goal in Super Cup game.

1 vs Madrid
2 vs WHU
1 vs Swansea
1 vs Stoke
1 Vs Basel
1 vs Everton
1 vs South
2 vs Cska
1 vs Palace
1 vs Newcastle
1 vs Cska
1 vs Bournemouth
1 vs WBA
1 vs Derby

The result is 16.

AshRK

It's 16 including the goal in Super Cup game.

1 vs Madrid
2 vs WHU
1 vs Swansea
1 vs Stoke
1 Vs Basel
1 vs Everton
1 vs South
2 vs Cska
1 vs Palace
1 vs Newcastle
1 vs Cska
1 vs Bournemouth
1 vs WBA
1 vs Derby

The result is 16.
Fair enough. Dont know why in twitter many are saying Lukaku has 17 to his name. Got confused thinking Lukaku had scored 11 in PL but just realised he is on 10. Anyways 1 goal less won't change my original prediction of him reaching 30 goals minimum in all competitions this season.

RedStarUnited

The irony is that Lukaku wouldnt have scored either of those goals. But we were definitely much better in the game vs Leicester and Lukaku was a big reason for that.

Stacks

He is the best striker we could possibly buy in last transfer window , it's either buying him or using rashford till zlatan recover . ,No better choice , morata & laca unproven in epl , kane impossible
So i am Glad we bought him , if any of our rival bought him & he performs like he is with us ( 21 goal & assist )
i bet you all would be fuming & questioning why we didn't go for him
Based on what exactly? for 74-90 million many would consider that fee. Icardi seems off to Real so they clearly rate him higher than Lukaku who they didn't even look at. Only EPL clubs would bid for Lukakau as he is "big, strong and prem proven" i.e. world class

el3mel

Based on what exactly? for 74-90 million many would consider that fee. Icardi seems off to Real so they clearly rate him higher than Lukaku who they didn't even look at. Only EPL clubs would bid for Lukakau as he is "big, strong and prem proven" i.e. world class
No one bid for Icardi last season so he wasn't that available. Your point is illogical then.

The available good strikers in the market were Lukaku, Morata, Belotti and Lacazette. Did you see the Morata and Lacazette performing any better than any Lukaku ? I'll say Lukaku is on the same level of Morata and ahead of Lacazette. Belotti didn't move because of the ridiculous fee asked for him from Torino even though he only had about one good year in his career and not to mention he's similar to Lukaku in almost every thing.

If you see any other top striker we could have got who was available, better than Lukaku and would have costed 75m or less, enlighten us ?

Stacks

No one bid for Icardi last season so he wasn't that available. Your point is illogical then.

The available good strikers in the market were Lukaku, Morata, Belotti and Lacazette. Did you see the Morata and Lacazette performing any better than any Lukaku ? I'll say Lukaku is on the same level of Morata and ahead of Lacazette. Belotti didn't move because of the ridiculous fee asked for him from Torino even though he only had about one good year in his career and not to mention he's similar to Lukaku in almost every thing.
If you see any other top striker we could have got who was available, better than Lukaku and would have costed 75m or less, enlighten us ?
Who said they were the only ones available? what about Aubameyang? He seems to be on the go. Not available means not for sale at any price. Icardi release clause was £88 million in the summer and you don't always even need to pay that. Did we even try? A bid can make someone available.

roonster09

Scout
Icardi isn't better than Lukaku. If Redcafe thinks Lukaku is limited on the ball then Icardi would have been written off as shit after first game.

roonster09

Scout
Who said they were the only ones available? what about Aubameyang? He seems to be on the go. Not available means not for sale at any price. Icardi release clause was £88 million in the summer and you don't always even need to pay that. Did we even try? A bid can make someone available.
Napoli's bid of 70 plus million was rejected last season. He won't leave for less than release clause.

el3mel

Auba was also not on the sale. If no one is bidding for such kind of strikers then they're not available, simple.

Did we try ? No. Did any other club in the world try and get him ? No. Why is it our fault ?

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Auba was also not on the sale. If no one is bidding for such kind of strikers then they're not available, simple.

Did we try ? No. Did any other club in the world try and get him ? No. Why is it our fault ?
So you're saying a good player can never be available without automatically being bid for? :p

el3mel

So you're saying a good player can never be available without automatically being bid for? :p
A striker at the caliber of Auba, at his 28 and still playing at BVB. I'm struggling to find any other reason, except maybe he's asking for ridiculous figures ? The only clubs that were interested in him were the Chinese ones IIRC.

Stacks

that is pure conjecture. nothing more
that's exactly what he is saying. as if money and pressure can't turn heads.

whatwha

A striker at the caliber of Auba, at his 28 and still playing at BVB. I'm struggling to find any other reason, except maybe he's asking for ridiculous figures ? The only clubs that were interested in him were the Chinese ones IIRC.
He was reportedly demanding insane wages. But even if he weren't, there's no automaticity in clubs bidding for someone just because they're available.

el3mel

He was reportedly demanding insane wages. But even if he weren't, there's no automaticity in clubs bidding for someone just because they're available.
So he's at his 28, still at BVB, asking for ridiculous figures, no other clubs are interested in him but it's our fault we didn't move for him, Ok.

whatwha

So he's at his 28, still at BVB, asking for ridiculous figures, no other clubs are interested in him but it's our fault we didn't move for him, Ok.
Our fault? I've said nothing about that.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

I agree.

el3mel

Our fault? I've said nothing about that.
Then it's better for us to stop complaining so much about Lukaku's transfer or presence of other options. At the price we get him with there was no other top striker we could have got, even Morata would have costed us 90m if we agreed to what Madrid was asking for him. Any other top class striker would have costed us +100 at least.

At 75m getting one of the most consistent strikers in the league was a very good deal. He has his problems, sure, but it's not like the options didn't have their problems as well. He's our striker now and he'll continue to develop here.

whatwha

Then it's better for us to stop complaining so much about Lukaku's transfer or presence of other options. At the price we get him with there was no other top striker we could have got, even Morata would have costed us 90m if we agreed to what Madrid was asking for him. Any other top class striker would have costed us +100 at least.

At 75m getting one of the most consistent strikers in the league was a very good deal. He has his problems, sure, but it's not like the options didn't have their problems as well. He's our striker now and he'll continue to develop here.
You mean £90m. And no matter how you want to spin that or the lack of other options, it's not a great deal for a player who will never be world class.

el3mel

You mean £90m. And no matter how you want to spin that or the lack of other options, it's not a great deal for a player who will never be world class.
It's 75m. You want to add the adds-on to raise the price it's up to you.

"Will never be world class" I didn't know you know the future. He's at his 24 and already scored a lot in the league. No one knows how he'll be coming his 28 or 29 so don't put an assumption about the future as a fact.

NoPace

We shoulda sent Pogba over to Mbappe's house with 150M. But yeah the Lukaku move was fine. Even if he did cost 90, we could get 70 for him tomorrow even with his meh form. It wasn't a big risk considering his injury record, age and track record.

Stacks

Like Costa did? Costa is a 3 times title winning striker and left for £60 million, but of course all the other strikers are bound to cost £150 million. As I pointed out earlier, Icardi had a lower release clause than that so its a massive statement to suggest he was our best and only option. I believe its more so the profile of striker Jose wanted. Big, powerful, good in the air. Of the big lumps out there, he was the best option, yes.

el3mel

Like Costa did? Costa is a 3 times title winning striker and left for £60 million, but of course all the other strikers are bound to cost £150 million. As I pointed out earlier, Icardi had a lower release clause than that so its a massive statement to suggest he was our best and only option. I believe its more so the profile of striker Jose wanted. Big, powerful, good in the air. Of the big lumps out there, he was the best option, yes.
Lame comparison. Costa is 29 years old. He'll never cost the same as a striker in his 24. I don't want to say that even 60m looks so much for him in the state he left Chelsea, being out of football for 6 months after a quarrel with the manager and in his 29. He didn't move to a top club either.

Again on what basis did you consider Icardi being on the sale list ? You sure won't know if he's on the sale or not more than all the top clubs were when they were searching for a striker in summer ? Don't you realize that we even failed to get Perisic from them and he's far of less caliber than Icardi ?

Also I'm sure Jose knows the profile of the striker he wants more than us -fans-. "Big, powerful, good in the air" all this applies to Lukaku.

Stacks

Lame comparison. Costa is 29 years old. He'll never cost the same as a striker in his 24. I don't want to say that even 60m looks so much for him in the state he left Chelsea, being out of football for 6 months after a quarrel with the manager and in his 29. He didn't move to a top club either.
2nd best team in Spain. Costa has won the league 3 of the last 4 seasons. History says when he is on it, his team wins the league. Lukaku will never have that impact. Hes too soft.
Again on what basis did you consider Icardi being on the sale list ? You sure won't know if he's on the sale or not more than all the top clubs were when they were searching for a striker in summer ? Don't you realize that we even failed to get Perisic from them and he's far of less caliber than Icardi ?
As I said a million times, he has a release clause. What top teams were even after a CF other than us and Chelsea?
Also I'm sure Jose knows the profile of the striker he wants more than us -fans-. "Big, powerful, good in the air" all this applies to Lukaku.

el3mel

2nd best team in Spain lol. Just because they're second in one season doesn't mean that they're better than Madrid in general. That second best team in Spain was kicked out of group stage of CL and are playing in EL at the moment. Costa at his 29 is never gonna cost the same as a striker in his 24 approaching his prime, and of course getting a striker to secure the ST position for the next 4-5 years is better than another stop gap after Zlatan.

That's the second time I read " He'll never ..etc" in this page. Why are people acting as if they know the future ? Lukaku is in his 24 and has scored many goals in the league already. No one knows what he'll be when he reaches his 28 or 29. Don't put assumptions about the future as they're facts please.

Status
Not open for further replies.