6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

Think it's great that he's being defended but have to add an asterisk to the 'he isn't getting service' argument.

It's 100% true that he would have a few more opportunities if our other attackers were as creative and mature as him in their decision-making but you also have to think about what kind of opportunity creation constitues 'service' for a striker with a basic finishing repertoire.

The 'assist' he gave to Martial against Burnley for example was a good pass turned an assist by talented finishing. Put Lukaku on the end of such a pass and it all of a sudden seems like it isn't goalscoring service. Same applies to the assists Pogba registered on Valencia's recent goal and Martial's curled finish against Everton.

He's already put in a lot of good positions in and around the box but if it's not an opportunity requiring a straightforward finish, he may not even get a shot off.

At this level a striker needs to be able to feed off more than just spoonfed attempts. I'm not holding my breath but will continue to root for him to add some brilliance and variety to his striking talents

haram

Think it's great that he's being defended but have to add an asterisk to the 'he isn't getting service' argument.

It's 100% true that he would have a few more opportunities if our other attackers were as creative and mature as him in their decision-making but you also have to think about what kind of opportunity creation constitues 'service' for a striker with a basic finishing repertoire.

The 'assist' he gave to Martial against Burnley for example was a good pass turned an assist by talented finishing. Put Lukaku on the end of such a pass and it all of a sudden seems like it isn't goalscoring service. Same applies to the assists Pogba registered on Valencia's recent goal and Martial's curled finish against Everton.

He's already put in a lot of good positions in and around the box but if it's not an opportunity requiring a straightforward finish, he may not even get a shot off.

At this level a striker needs to be able to feed off more than just spoonfed attempts. I'm not holding my breath but will continue to root for him to add some brilliance and variety to his striking talents
How many of his goals are really just ‘spoonfed’ though. I think he has done well to score some of them. Burnley assist wasn’t just about the pass either.

Greck

How many of his goals are really just ‘spoonfed’ though. I think he has done well to score some of them. Burnley assist wasn’t just about the pass either.
Not getting into the bolded as it's absolutely irrelevant to what I'm saying. That you think it was meant as a slight to his role in that goal already makes me skeptical on engaging you on this topic but if I'm to answer the rest, I'd say his goals against Newcastle, Derby and Stoke weren't spoonfed.

And before the inevitable strawman argument is brought up, no, I'm not saying strikers should never score spoonfed goals as it is clearly part of intelligent movement

haram

Not getting into the bolded as it's absolutely irrelevant to what I'm saying. That you think it was meant as a slight to his role in that goal already makes me skeptical on engaging you on this topic but if I'm to answer the rest, I'd say his goals against Newcastle, Derby and Stoke weren't spoonfed.

And before the inevitable strawman argument is brought up, no, I'm not saying strikers should never score spoonfed goals as it is clearly part of intelligent movement
Sorry I misread what you said. I think several of his headed goals aren't really 'spoonfed'. Good crosses, but Lukaku still has a lot to do for most of them.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's fecking infuriating how often he has to physically point out the pass to the players around him. He should be making those runs and assuming the ball will get to him, without needing to point out the bleeding obvious to his team-mates. Even more so when he's shown himself quite capable of playing the sort of pass he almost never gets himself. Honestly, since his first league goal, has anyone slipped him through on goal in the same way since?!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUBKdrSW4AAU-Gq.jpg

EDIT
@Samid can you turn the above into an image? Thanks!

I've a feeling that Sanchez will be an absolute gold-mine for him.
I don't understand how Rashford refuses to pass that ball to Lukaku.

It's frustrating.

SATA

I really think he has improved his overall game here. You can see that by the assists he has provided for the team so far. Long may it continue and we'll see a beast of a striker when he reaches his prime. He's only 24 now. Ruud was phenomenal when he was 28-29

Yagami

Good post resistant
His assists numbers speak for themself.
Last season he was 5th in assists - 1 more than Ozil himself. He was 8th in key passes with 78 - only 12 less than Ozil. The only player - alongside Hazard - who made the top 10 in all of goals/assists/key passes (though Hazard wasn't in the top 10 for assists). Alexis had 8 more goals than Hazard, 5 more assists, but Hazard had 10 more key passes.

When the opportunity arrives, he will shoot but I don't think he's too selfish, though he is capable of selfishness which I think he's earned with his stats and whatnot.

Antonedwin

It's fecking infuriating how often he has to physically point out the pass to the players around him. He should be making those runs and assuming the ball will get to him, without needing to point out the bleeding obvious to his team-mates. Even more so when he's shown himself quite capable of playing the sort of pass he almost never gets himself. Honestly, since his first league goal, has anyone slipped him through on goal in the same way since?!

EDIT
@Samid can you turn the above into an image? Thanks!

I've a feeling that Sanchez will be an absolute gold-mine for him.
I can remember when this happened in the game and the diatribe I released at Rashford for not spotting one of the most obvious passes you'll ever see.

I've been having to defend Lukaku to the hilt recently to my mates and this is one of the reasons why. The guy has been running himself into the ground in recent matches and although, yes, there is the occasional loose touch, all in all his link up play has been great. Those 2 through balls against Leicester should have sealed the game! And he helped get the winner against Burnley in a game where our attack had really failed to get going.

He waits an entire game for an opening like that and the pass still doesn't come. The team really needs to take advantage of those situations more, some of the decision making around the opposition penalty area is diabolical.

Like you say, hopefully Sanchez will sort some of this out.

However, playing devil's advocate, there's a lot of talk from Arsenal fans and ABU pundits saying he's selfish and he'll just make things worse, particularly for Lukaku. Is there anyone worried there might be some truth in this?
Does anyone have a gif/video of what Rashford does ? Missed it in games

All very annoying. Lukaku could easily have around 4 more goals this season if his teammates made correct decisions and we would have more points.
i start to think that rashford might hate rom for benching him. rash would be our main striker if we didn't recruit rom. .. just look at the picture, there is no way rashford didn't see him free. It's not like we were in 3-0 lead for him to mess Around. Jose need to give him some harsh warn such as "you aren't going to have a future here if you keep doing that"

Last edited:

Inter Yer Nan

Lukaku and Sanchez is going to be filthy. Lukaku has shown a lot of new facets to his game this season and you can't ask for much better overall contribution. I'm sure he'll have a patch where he scores a bunch together to even out from his run when he couldn't buy a goal and the his season will be put into proper perspective.

Yeovil 0:4 Man Utd

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He needs to stop kicking out at defenders behind him. He’s done it twice tonight. If he connects and the ref sees it, it’ll be he most ridiculous red card to pick up

AshRK

He is a goal machine. With sanchez on board , Lukaku will get more chances now. 18 and counting for this season

Bjerring

Can see him kicking on again, with the optimism surrounding the team atm, and with the signing of Sanchez

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very happy he scored, will got lot of good for his confidence.

Loved how quick we counter attack, 2 goals on counter this game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really pleased for him. His touch and link up play is looking so much better right now. It's almost like the dry spell has made him concentrate on that side of his game, but he still has that lethal finishing when it counts.

Love big Rom!

Canagel

He needs to stop kicking out at defenders behind him. He’s done it twice tonight. If he connects and the ref sees it, it’ll be he most ridiculous red card to pick up
Very true. Was very lucky to get away with it against Brighton at OT. However another goal for him tonight and with Sanchez in the team I can see him getting a lot more if he stays in the box and doesn't run the channels because that will be Sanchez and Martial's jobs.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was quiet but doesn't really matter when you're in the right place to grab a goal. I was confident when he came on that he would get a goal. Looking forward to seeing him link up with Sanchez more.

Ardis

Big test coming up against Tottenham. He hasn't delivered against the top teams. Hope he can perform better this time.

DRM

Already 18 goals in all competitions.
Yes but only 11 in the league. He needs to score some braces (or a hatrick) to get up to the 20 odd mark. I think he'll probably end up with 17 league goals which would be quite a poor return.

lsd

The Oracle
Yes but only 11 in the league. He needs to score some braces (or a hatrick) to get up to the 20 odd mark. I think he'll probably end up with 17 league goals which would be quite a poor return.

Would be a good return especially in his first season.Plus he has already proved he does more for the team than just scoring goals and is only going to get better and better

Minimalist

Still very very average in 1 vs 1
1 on 1 meaning the keeper?

Salah, Aguero, Lacazette, Jesus and Morata have all missed more 'big chances' than Lukaku this season FYI.

The first two just get away with it as they've scored more goals (for funny enough, teams with, up until now, superior attacking units than United).

Ban

No it wouldn't.

Tottenham 2:0 Man Utd

DRM

The difference between him and Kane is night and day. Everytime Kane gets the ball he does something, Lukaku for his supposed strength can't even hold up the ball.

I think Lukaku is a good striker, I just don't think he's world class.

automaticflare

Very poor so far

Kane constantly looking to be envolved lukaku not and even when ball goes near him not clever enough to hold it or draw a foul. Need more from the big man

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Utterly useless. Could learn something from how Kane has played.

Status
Not open for further replies.