6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

E-mal

He is look poor despite his goal, I just don't think we can play any high level technical football with him in the side.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was curious to see where his goal record stands in comparison to others around europe, as i don't think it's been good enough despite obviously his goal record being the main reason why he was seen as a potentially top striker. To put his goal record into perspective, here are players that have as many or more in the top 5 leagues:
  1. Cavani 23
  2. Kane 23
  3. Salah 22 (not sure if today's goal is counted)
  4. Immobile 22
  5. Aguero 21
  6. Messi 20
  7. Lewandowski 20
  8. Neymar 19
  9. Icardi 18
  10. Quagliarella 17
  11. Suarez 17
  12. Falcao 17
  13. Aspas 16
  14. Fekir 16
  15. Mertens 15
  16. Thauvin 15
  17. Sterling 15
  18. Higuain 14
  19. Mariano 14
  20. Dybala 14
  21. Stuani 13
  22. Vardy 13
  23. Balotelli 13
  24. Gomez 13
  25. Aubamayeng 13 (+1 for Arsenal so 14)
  26. Ronaldo 12 (scored 2 today so at 14 I think?)
  27. Petersen 12
  28. Firmino 12 (not sure if today's goal is counted)
  29. Lukaku 12
Finding stats for all comps takes slightly more effort so don't feel like doing it, but I think this shows my point anyway. Has to score more to be seen as good enough, but also become much better in terms of his all round play.

Last edited:

cyberman

Finding stats for all competitions would be easier.
Theres a reason why its just the league, lets be honest.

bosnian_red

No I took for the league's because I went on whoscored.com and they have a section that lists everyone in the top 5 league's all on one page

el3mel

He's right. I love him but that's why I said previously his season can be considered decent at best currently. His numbers on their own doesn't look bad but compared to other top strikers, they're pretty underwhelming. I'm willing to give him a pass this season as he's still young, but similar numbers next season will be a concern for me.

Red_toad

He's a better player than the team is making him look. As with all attacking players, having options around you will aide you no end. But at this moment in time, we've gotten a midfield that doesn't help the defence, nor the attack. Matic has lost form, no longer brings the ball out of defence, Pogba is out of form and looks disinterested. Jose has his work cut out and by the looks of it he's reverting to safety first. Team certainly needs improvements with regard to midfield in the summer.

cyberman

@el3mel
But he's not just playing league football, he's brought in to do his best in all competitions and that's what he should be judged on.
I don't think I've seen Firminhos league only stats posted anywhere but here for example. These stats are only ever posted to push home a point.
Lukaku didn't score many in mid December to mid January and he was fantastic during that period but our side shit the bed when Lukaku was waiting for a simple ball for a tap in or 1 v 1.
The problem is the games come thick and fast during busy periods in England so those league only games really add up at a fast rate. Its how Kane won the golden boot last year using the same principle.
A period of 4/5 games in 2 and a half weeks? Boom 10 goals and he's top scorer.
Put a FA cup weekend or a CL game mid week during that period and Lukaku holds on to win it.
Top players shouldn't be judged on league goals alone. That goes for anybody imo. Its a total disservice.

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan
When a striker that you can clearly see with your own eyes is lacking a lot of things in his game also has pretty average stats. Its a pretty good chance that player is just that, average. Not bad certainly not great. Thats what he is. His return and general play is what id expect of someone that cost 40 million would give us.

In united i expect more from a starting striker. A lot more tbf.

el3mel

@el3mel
But he's not just playing league football, he's brought in to do his best in all competitions and that's what he should be judged on.
I don't think I've seen Firminhos league only stats posted anywhere but here for example. These stats are only ever posted to push home a point.
Lukaku didn't score many in mid December to mid January and he was fantastic during that period but our side shit the bed when Lukaku was waiting for a simple ball for a tap in or 1 v 1.
The problem is the games come thick and fast during busy periods in England so those league only games really add up at a fast rate. Its how Kane won the golden boot last year using the same principle.
Put a FA cup weekend or a CL game mid week during that period and Lukaku holds on to win it.
Top players shouldn't be judged on league goals alone. That goes for anybody imo. Its a total disservice.
Even if we counted the all competitions stats, His 21 goals in 39 games look pretty underwhelming compared to Kane's 34 goals in 35 games, Salah's 31 goals in 37 games and Aguero's 29 goals in 33 games.

He should have been closer to them by all possible means. 21 goals is a decent number, but compared to the top scorers in the country, it's not enough at all.

Boycott

@el3mel

Lukaku didn't win the Golden Boot last year because he failed to pull away when Kane missed games at the backend of the season. Lukaku played seven more league games.

And unless I'm reading this incorrectly, Spurs were in the FA Cup up to the semi finals and in Europe up to this time last year. Everton had no Europe and were out of the FA Cup in the first round.

Charles Miller

If that first page of Whoscored its true Lukaku has 20 goals all competions(not friendlies or nt football). Tbh i dont think is that bad considering majority of other big teams keep attacking and trying to score even when they are winning, and that is not our case

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Even if we counted the all competitions stats, His 21 goals in 39 games look pretty underwhelming compared to Kane's 34 goals in 35 games, Salah's 31 goals in 37 games and Aguero's 29 goals in 33 games.

He should have been closer to them by all possible means. 21 goals is a decent number, but compared to the top scorers in the country, it's not enough at all.
Pretty damning.

I like Lukaku, but I think it’s time to start Sanchez, Martial and Rashford as a front three for a few games.

Each of the mentioned players is capable of interchanging and effortlessly moving positions. It was that level of flexibility that kept defenders on their toes when Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney were so damn good during the 07-08 season.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If that first page of Whoscored its true Lukaku has 20 goals all competions(not friendlies or nt football). Tbh i dont think is that bad considering majority of other big teams keep attacking and trying to score even when they are winning, and that is not our case
The part about us killing teams off is spot on. We seem to get a couple of goals and then sit back when we could push on and thrash some teams.

cyberman

@Boycott
My posts were about bouts of form falling on different stretches of the season. Kane still needed to score a ridiculous amount of goals in a run when he only had league games left. If that happened earlier then he would need to extend that run by 2 or 3 games since those goals would be shared among other competitions.
Go on a 7 game scoring run starting last week and Lukaku would have half of those goals in 2 Fa cup games and 2 CL games.
Go on a 7 game run mid April when you're out of every competition then you shoot up the league scoring charts.
You cant isolate one competition since every game inbetween affects those stats as well. Its not as if they're resting up between league games.

Jean claude van hire

I've still got faith in Rom but I really think he needs to deliver tomorrow. I'm not super fussed if he doesn't find the net, providing he contributes to our overall team performance & makes himself a right handful for the Chelsea defence.

NightWalker

I don't think that Lukaku is average. For me he is good striker who is used wrong. Despite his size I firmly believe that Lukaku is not a target man and must be used in similar way to Aubameyang at Dortmund with lots of thru balls in space which he has to chase. Further more for me Lukaku did show very good movement at the beginning of the season and despite some glaringly bad finishing in at times, he is good finisher in general.

Jia_Ming

Despite his large frame he's not the type of striker who can play with his back to goal and bring other players into play. He's a bit too clumsy and has too bad of a first touch to be a target man. He's at his best when he is getting behind the defense or even running at defenders from the flanks. Obviously, he isn't as complete or even as good as some of the top strikers in the league in terms his skill set and movement but I don't think Jose has done enough to get the best out of him tbh. If your tactics is to hoof long balls blindly and expect your striker to knock the them down or even control them with a magical first touch Romelu Lukaku isn't your guy.

Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea

bosnian_red

He's trash. Simple as. Waste of money and like fellaini, we'll be better off when we give up on him and get someone better who can actually control a ball in big games

edit: Your shite now go and do that again :D

arnie_ni

Well taken goal but god his holdup play is awful. In the build up to the goal his first touch from a ball passed along the ground took it up to a 5050 contested header

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
That 10-second phase of play encapsulates Lukaku: a loose touch is immediately followed with a brilliant close-control, two-touch finish.

Thankfully the poorer passages of play are becoming less frequent and his improvement this season is there for all to see. On track for 30+ goals in his first season at the club. That's impressive in any context.

Ferguson

For a big man, he really seems to have trouble sealing off the player behind him and collecting the ball.

His hold up play is poor, not because of his distribution and technique once he has the ball, but because of his difficulty in collecting the ball in the first place.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Was absolutely awful except for the goal. Nice to see him scoring in a big game

Interesting tactics from Mou — Lukaku drifting right and Sanchez going through the middle

Bwuk

Hasn’t been great but scored which will help.

I do think playing two upfront will help him. He seems more comfortable with Martial being closer than out wide.

Roboc7

He has had a terrible game and his touch has been horrendous but took his chance which he hasn’t done in other big games this season.

Greck

The goal was Lukaku's strength and weaknesses on display. The 'control' was really the ball bouncing off him but was lucky it didn't destroy the attack as shown by Sanchez reaction. Once he got it under control showed intelligent passing, instinctive movement and good finishing in the box.

Classnordic

Play to his strengths and he´s a good striker, play him like we do and he´s okey.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
When he has his back to goal, he performs very well.

But we just keep lumping it up to him instead

AshRK

He is here to score goals and he is doing that. Others around him needs to give him service and step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.