6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Peril

I’m calling it, Rom is our player of the season. DDG a close second and the rest a long way behind.
You cannot be serious. DDG is first, second, third and then some. Lukaku has what, 15 league goals? Average return for a striker in the second best team in the country, whom rarely scores against the top teams. Lukaku went on a long spell without scoring consistently, and when we needed it the most, so he’s no player of the season.

haram

I did read a stat that said he has won us more points than Salah has for Liverpool. This was about a month ago though.

Acole9

Outstanding
Interesting to see the breakdown,
100th Easter EPL goal finally.

Interesting. Good job by Skysports.

That confirms it, he's a poacher and at his best inside the box. :lol:What's that "Other". :eek:Just 6 penalties?!!
Interesting to see the breakdown, no problem at all that most of the goals have come from inside the box. Nearly all of van Nistelrooy's for us were inside the box.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That confirms it, he's a poacher and at his best inside the box. :lol:What's that "Other". :eek:Just 6 penalties?!!
You might not be the brightest tool in the box, because the vast majority of goals are scored inside the box for a forward. Unless you are Messi or Ronaldo you aren't going to score screamers every few games.

Web of Bissaka

Interesting to see the breakdown, no problem at all that most of the goals have come from inside the box. Nearly all of van Nistelrooy's for us were inside the box.
Yeah, it's not a problem. Merely pointing out Lukaku is more lethal inside the box than outside and his playstyle is more like a poacher than other style of forwards. Ruud's stat is crazy, impressive even, something about out of his 150 goals, he only scored just once outside the box, clearly seeing him play RVN is a pure poacher. Some similarity with Lukaku.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, it's not a problem. Merely pointing out Lukaku is more lethal inside the box than outside and his playstyle is more like a poacher than other style of forwards. Ruud's stat is crazy, impressive even, something about out of his 150 goals, he only scored just once outside the box, clearly seeing him play RVN is a pure poacher. Some similarity with Lukaku.
Poacher or not doesn't depend on from where they score goals, it's on their play style.

Kane is far from poacher but he has scored only 12 goals from outside the box in last 5 seasons
Aguero scored 11 goals from outside the box.
Suarez since joining Barca scored 3 goals from outside the box in 4 seasons. He scored 7 for Liverpool in 13-14 alone as he wasn't leading the line.

Kane and Aguero are far from poachers but they have scored just 12 and 11 goals from outside the box and they have scored lot of goals in this period.

Oldyella

Surprised by how few come from the right hand channel rather than centrally/left. In my head, he always seems so dangerous from the right hand side.

haram

Surprised by how few come from the right hand channel rather than centrally/left. In my head, he always seems so dangerous from the right hand side.
He is pulling away from goal and crossing it when he makes runs to the right.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's not the subtlest or sexiest striker in the world that's for sure, but there's no doubt i'd have him in my 11 every week. Got so much in his locker, and he's only 24. Beast!
That's definitely not what I watch football for, strikers are about scoring and dragging opposition's defenders to create spaces for other attackers. But then again I'm not Florentino Perez. :D

Web of Bissaka

You might not be the brightest tool in the box, because the vast majority of goals are scored inside the box for a forward. Unless you are Messi or Ronaldo you aren't going to score screamers every few games.
Well obviously.
And I assume you're among the brightest of the bunch, so just a reminder that yet actually this varies among many forwards specifically i.e. some forwards barely score from outside eg. RVN and Chicahrito (let's say around just 1-7%), and yet there are some other forwards who have higher percentage of scoring from the outside (let's say roughly around 10-50%). Lukaku is in the former atm.

Ignore Messi and Ronaldo, they're ridiculous and you'll still found many forwards who have higher percentage of scoring outside the box. I'll just give some quick examples.
-Rooney 11% of total 100 EPL goals. (source)
-Up to 2013, Henry 17% of his EPL total goals. (source)
-Aguero 15% of his 100 EPL goals. (source)
-Kane's 100 EPL goals, 12%. (source)
The above is not a good example but the players are known to be more all-around in scoring, obviously looking at their playstyles.

This one is a good example.
-2008/9 Saha 33% | 2009/10 B. Zamora 38% | 2010/11 Sturridge 38% Saha 29% Drogba 27% etc etc. (source)

roonster09

Scout
Well obviously.
And I assume you're among the brightest of the bunch, so just a reminder that yet actually this varies among many forwards specifically i.e. some forwards barely score from outside eg. RVN and Chicahrito (let's say around just 1-7%), and yet there are some other forwards who have higher percentage of scoring from the outside (let's say roughly around 10-50%). Lukaku is in the former atm.

Ignore Messi and Ronaldo, they're ridiculous and you'll still found many forwards who have higher percentage of scoring outside the box. I'll just give some quick examples.
-Rooney 11% of total 100 EPL goals. (source)
-Up to 2013, Henry 17% of his EPL total goals. (source)
-Aguero 15% of his 100 EPL goals. (source)
-Kane's 100 EPL goals, 12%. (source)
The above is not a good example but the players are known to be more all-around in scoring, obviously looking at their playstyles.

-2008/9 Saha 33% | 2009/10 B. Zamora 38% | 2010/11 Sturridge 38% Saha 29% Drogba 27% etc etc. (source)
Adding percentage to make it dramatic.

Kane scored 12, Lukaku 5, Aguero 11 (in last 5 seasons), Suarez 3 (since he joined Barca).

There isn't a big difference.

Web of Bissaka

Poacher or not doesn't depend on from where they score goals, it's on their play style.

Kane is far from poacher but he has scored only 12 goals from outside the box in last 5 seasons
Aguero scored 11 goals from outside the box.
Suarez since joining Barca scored 3 goals from outside the box in 4 seasons. He scored 7 for Liverpool in 13-14 alone as he wasn't leading the line.

Kane and Aguero are far from poachers but they have scored just 12 and 11 goals from outside the box and they have scored lot of goals in this period.
Yeah, we're in agreement here mostly.

We need to look mainly at their playstyle, and relating to that, their style of scoring decides where they usually score usually. Poachers tend to score from inside the box in a poaching style if that make sense, at times they'll score from outside.

So yes, statistics of goals inside the box is not a strong indicator of certain playstyle, the stats just helps support it lightly if it's accurate and precise.

roonster09

Scout
:lol:

Saha scored 2 from outside the box out of his 6 goals.
Zamaora scored 3/8
Sturridge 3/8
Saha 2/7
Drogba 3/11

You should give actual numbers, not percentages but they have scored only 2-3 goals.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah, we're in agreement here mostly.

We need to look mainly at their playstyle, and relating to that, their style of scoring decides where they usually score usually. Poachers tend to score from inside the box in a poaching style if that make sense, at times they'll score from outside.

So yes, statistics of goals inside the box is not a strong indicator of certain playstyle, the stats just helps support it lightly if it's accurate and precise.
If a player dribble past 3-4 players and score from inside the box, would you call him as poacher? That's the problem with the logic you are using here.

Gopher Brown

Hate reading embarrassment on here but the reaction towards him after the City game was exactly that. Not a surprise he’s banging them in when you get players in and around him.
I think getting players in him would be more of a hindrance.

Web of Bissaka

:lol:

Saha scored 2 from outside the box out of his 6 goals.
Zamaora scored 3/8
Sturridge 3/8
Saha 2/7
Drogba 3/11

You should give actual numbers, not percentages but they have scored only 2-3 goals.
:lol:Couldn't find their big total number of total and outside goals statistics mate. Google fails me.

It's more reliable if we didn't look at just one season. That said, if a player tend to score many goals outside from a number of season, there's a higher chance the player may have a higher percentage of scoring outside the box out of his total goals of every seasons combined.
eg. Saha 33% 2008/9
and in 2010/11 29%
Quite high for a striker, if he do it consistently, then total goals should be higher for outside box %.

Oh okay now that you mention it, it does sounds dramatic.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Care to explain? Differentiating which one do you meant?
In the last 5 seasons, Lukaku scored 5, aguero 11, Suarez 3 since he joined Barca. That's on an average 1 goal more from outside the box for Kane and Aguero and both of them are not poachers.

Web of Bissaka

If a player dribble past 3-4 players and score from inside the box, would you call him as poacher? That's the problem with the logic you are using here.
Sounds like you doesn't get yet the point I'm trying to make, and insist on what you think I'm trying to point out. I've explained this in other posts replied to different posters. The problem is you didn't get the point.

Do you think a poacher couldn't dribble? RVN did dribbled past many players. A poacher can still have all-around skills and score from different way. Mainly they score poaching way.

Curious, what do you think of Lukaku's playstyle?

EDIT: Maybe I didn't explain it clearly enough in other posts.

roonster09

Scout
Curious, what do you think of Lukaku's playstyle?
Don't think it's easy to answer. He isn't a poacher as he does more than poacher but not as good or anywhere near as much as Rooney used to. So it's somewhere in the middle.

For example, players like Inzaghi, Chicharito, Icardi are poachers without any doubt. Lukaku has more to his game than poachers but not at the level of peak Rooney or Kane.

Web of Bissaka

In the last 5 seasons, Lukaku scored 5, aguero 11, Suarez 3 since he joined Barca. That's on an average 1 goal more from outside the box for Kane and Aguero and both of them are not poachers.
Don't think it's easy to answer. He isn't a poacher as he does more than poacher but not as good or anywhere near as much as Rooney used to. So it's somewhere in the middle.

For example, players like Inzaghi, Chicharito, Icardi are poachers without any doubt. Lukaku has more to his game than poachers but not at the level of peak Rooney or Kane.
I think it's right if I assume you don't agree in me stating that Lukaku is a poacher, right? Thus the discussions.

If so, then that's fine, people have different perspectives. At the moment, I see Lukaku as a poacher type. Past seasons is obvious at other clubs. This season however, I can see his style is evolving to be more all-around.

Players like Kane and Aguero is very obvious to be more all-around type of forward, for me they do have poaching traits but not too obvious. Yeap, players like Inzaghi and Chicha are the type of forwards that strictly remains as a single poacher type, same playstyle throughout.

cyberman

He drops deep, drifts wide and has too many assists to be a poacher.
Thats why he doesn't really shoot from outside the box, he's holding it up or plays the little through balls instead.

haram

I dont think Lukaku is a poacher really. His runs into channels, his presence in link play and some of the passes he makes means he’s more than that IMO.

Web of Bissaka

Romelu this season is a different Lukaku than the Romelu from Everton and his other club, West Brom was it?

"A forward that poach and assist."​
Prev seasons,
-That said, his style is not strictly poaching, as he did a good number fair share of assisting in previous clubs.
--Let's just say he's not like the usual strict poachers we came to know, yet most of his goals and his main playstyle as a forward is arguably poaching goals.
Then again, we may have some differences when it comes to what is poaching :lol:. Oh and his 100 epl goals around 70% are mainly at this time.

---

"An evolving forward that's becoming an all-around."​
This season,
-He starts as that "assisting poacher", in games it's obvious a lot of limitations, roughness and inconsistency to his all-around game eg. wide movements, link-up plays, target role, hold-up, etc.
--Eventually his style evolves, and still evolving to be more all-around, no longer limited nor inconsistent in his now smooth all around play.
---Like what many posters have mentioned in this thread, he have started to do all those all-around things more consistently very obvious in the games this year.
:nervous: That's my observation of him this season and prev seasons.
To be more technical in words, I guess it doesn't sound right to see him as a poacher anymore for the big improvements he have made.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

All but one.

red_john

Surprise surprise, Lukaku has made alot of our fans who written him off a few months back eat their words. There are now quotes saying next potential captain, works his socks off and a very good striker. Some fans make me laugh with knee jerk reactions and goes to show their lack of knowledge of the game which is simply embarrassing. I love being right, again.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
25 goals in his first season here, with a handful of games left. I would say that qualifies as a successful first year. If he gets to his 30 I think he can be more than satisfied in his efforts.

I think we have seen a significant improvement in his all round game. His work rate is second to none and he has had a thankless task in some of the big games.

I want to see him kick on again. There is still ample room for him to improve.

roonster09

Scout
25 goals in his first season here, with a handful of games left. I would say that qualifies as a successful first year. If he gets to his 30 I think he can be more than satisfied in his efforts.

I think we have seen a significant improvement in his all round game. His work rate is second to none and he has had a thankless task in some of the big games.

I want to see him kick on again. There is still ample room for him to improve.
Yeah. If he gets 30 goals then it would be 40 goals plus assists which is superb return in his first season. There is good improvement every month, so if he keeps playing in the same aggressive way and learn to use his strength better then he will be much better player.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Some of his linkup play this year.

roonster09

Scout

That's fake, we were told he can't do anything apart form scoring.

Anyways that's a very short video and left out lot of good pieces of play. From Leicester game alone you could have 5-6 moments.

deafepl

He is one of the reasons why we scored more goals due to his link up and hold up. Lingard having one of the best seasons in his life because of Lukaku that created a lot of chances for Lingard's movement. Lingard really needs to improve his finishing and he'd be beast.

Canagel

And to think people call him a 'donkey'. That's an insult. I think it's stereotyping. All people talk about his his power and physicality. Even when pundits and commentators were comparing him to Morata they all said Morata is the intelligent player and Lukaku lacks the technical ability and game knowledge of Morata. Basically painting Lukaku as the big strong athlete who is target man in the Box even though he has demonstrated various facets to his game against a variety of opposition defences. Lukaku is so much more than just a target man. He is a proven talent with immense knowledge of the game. His moves are calculated and efficient and his vision is superb as well. Lukaku is strong and quick and pointing that out isn't racist but what is racist is reducing him to those attributes whilst neglecting to acknowledge is cleverness and technical ability. Strikers like Kane, Firminho, Aguero all get that recognition but Lukaku doesn't. I think Lukaku has more assists than all of them. Even last year playing for Everton he had the most assists. It's a disgrace. Reducing Black athletes to just their physicality has been a problem in sports for a while.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
To be honest, Lukaku's weakest aspect of his game has actually been his physicality. At the beginning of the season he was not imposing himself physically on the centre backs. However, as with almost every part of his game, he has been improving as the season has gone on. His physical performance against Lovren at OT was fantastic, this was a defender that had previously physically dominated Lukaku.

He is good with the ball at his feet, can beat his man with tricks and feints all day, quite good at an incisive pass in the final third, good delivery on his crosses.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be honest, Lukaku's weakest aspect of his game has actually been his physicality. At the beginning of the season he was not imposing himself physically on the centre backs. However, as with almost every part of his game, he has been improving as the season has gone on. His physical performance against Lovren at OT was fantastic, this was a defender that had previously physically dominated Lukaku.

He is good with the ball at his feet, can beat his man with tricks and feints all day, quite good at an incisive pass in the final third, good delivery on his crosses.
He's not naturally aggressive. He rarely bounces into defenders or throws his weight around. He's clearly a good natured guy that is a friendly giant, but that doesn't translate well to football.

Recently though he seems to be putting himself about more, I remember him flying into Kjaer in the first few mins at home to Sevilla.

1 thing I noticed is that he doesn't anticipate contact coming from behind, but if he's running the channel and can see the defender then he always gets there first or wins the shoulder.

He's made big strides this year, even his ropey first touches are getting less and less.

Loublaze

ATLien
And to think people call him a 'donkey'. That's an insult. I think it's stereotyping. All people talk about his his power and physicality. Even when pundits and commentators were comparing him to Morata they all said Morata is the intelligent player and Lukaku lacks the technical ability and game knowledge of Morata. Basically painting Lukaku as the big strong athlete who is target man in the Box even though he has demonstrated various facets to his game against a variety of opposition defences. Lukaku is so much more than just a target man. He is a proven talent with immense knowledge of the game. His moves are calculated and efficient and his vision is superb as well. Lukaku is strong and quick and pointing that out isn't racist but what is racist is reducing him to those attributes whilst neglecting to acknowledge is cleverness and technical ability. Strikers like Kane, Firminho, Aguero all get that recognition but Lukaku doesn't. I think Lukaku has more assists than all of them. Even last year playing for Everton he had the most assists. It's a disgrace. Reducing Black athletes to just their physicality has been a problem in sports for a while.
Great post and you bring up many points I was going to touch on. Unfortunately the world of sports is rife with this stereotypical and racist BS.

Denis79

It has to go away. Husain Bolt, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Muhammed Ali, Pele are just some of athletes that arguably stand as the best ever within their sports. Absolute bullshit this racist shit. A black athlete has to be twice as good to get the same recognition as a white person.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It has to go away. Husain Bolt, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Muhammed Ali, Pele are just some of athletes that arguably stand as the best ever within their sports. Absolute bullshit this racist shit. A black athlete has to be twice as good to get the same recognition as a white person.
As much as I agree with your views on racism I’m not sure I can agree with this being that general. Most sensible people won’t hesitate to give any athlete their share of any recognition regardless race.

edgar allan

Sorry but race is an absolute red herring in this debate.

Lukaku has improved greatly in his touch this season and you can see that in his play this last few months but the reason his technical ability is not considered alongside the players you mentioned is because he is not as talented as them full stop. His skin colour has nothing to do with any criticisms that were made.
He is proving a lot of his early season critics wrong ( including myself and Lukaku has out performed Morata in most facets this year . Morata has more guile and touch on the ball but hasn't shown anywhere near the consistency of Lukaku. Holding that view has absolutely nothing to do with race and it is ridiculous in my opinion to throw that accusation out.

Status
Not open for further replies.