Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Basel 1:0 Man Utd

Holters

I don't like his body language today. Constantly raising his arms in frustration or pointing frustrated were he wanted the ball every time a teammate does a mistake/bad delivery.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A lot was made of our midfield not constantly supplying him with chances but his movement really isn't that good - surprisingly, I though it was one of his main strengths

AshRK

Poor today. Although love his flicks. He just need to be more proactive and take his chances. Hopefully gets a goal.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
In his defence, hasn't he played more minutes than any other outfield player this season? That has to take its toll.

walkinhop

For such a strong guy, his physical presence is pretty bad. He is not bullying anyone, neither with his upper body nor with his speed. That missed chance also represents poor composure. Pretty 0/10 today.

El Jefe

Donkey in today's game.

This guy still has it all to prove with us. Game after game centre backs find it so easy to mark him out the game. RVN couldn't create goals for himself but his game was technically sound and efficient. Lukaku on the other hand kills passing moves and needs clear chances to score.

Top strikers like Kane, Aguero etc make goals out of half chances. Our Rom is a level below atm

Ban

For such a strong guy, his physical presence is pretty bad. He is not bullying anyone, neither with his upper body nor with his speed. That missed chance also represents poor composure. Pretty 0/10 today.
What a nice exaggeration.

rio's upper lip

Not exactly setting the stage ablaze lately, is he.

Need much, much more from him if we're serious about challenging for trophies.

el3mel

Don't think he was bad today, very good first half and average in the second.

Kapardin

He can't complain about service when Pogba is on the pitch.

Thought that goal against Newcastle would get him going, but not scoring against a team like Basel in a first half when we had so many chances to score is criminal.

Irrational.

He's not the kind of striker that will take a game by the scruff of the neck. He needs to have very good service, otherwise he's useless. Far too easily nullified.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Dreadful tonight. Would of been better with Rashford or Martial through the middle.

Son Of Sam

Don't think he was bad today, very good first half and average in the second.
He was bad.
It was laid on a plate for him today. He waited and waited.....and waited to get the ball close to the goalie as much as possible and he still missed.......

el3mel

He was bad.
It was laid on a plate for him today. He waited and waited.....and waited to get the ball close to the goalie as much as possible and he still missed.......
Ok he missed a chance and all, but I won't evaluate his performance based on a single chance.

Rajma

Not sure why he didn't drift more to the right tonight to draw defenders around a bit and not stand still given how productive it was against Newcastle, I would have guessed this is something coaching staff should have picked it up to be honest.

redNATION

He won't reach the heights of Lewandowski or Deigo Costa, he gets bullied far too easily by defenders, and can't seem to bring himself into games. FOr £75m, I would expect someone like City's Jesus, who cost half the price. That said, if we're going to build the team around him, then play to his strengths!! Why Jose persists with Darmian and Blind at FB, who cant cross, I'll never know.

El Jefe

Don’t think we’ll ever see him being super effective unless our full backs are on it.

Young and Valencia can suffice but not the shit out there tonight.

No surprise that Lukaku did well at Everton with Baines and Coleman.
I think that's an easy cop out for Lukaku.

He doesn't need good fullbacks on the pitch in order to successfully complete a one-two or hold up the ball with one defender on him. He's an incredibly average football player who only looks good when scoring.

In most games it won't be a problem but in big games or games where we struggle like today, Lukaku has proven to be ineffective this season.

Cloud7

This isn't any kind of kneejerk response, as I had been very happy with Lukaku early on in the season.

My primary concern when we were linked with him was how reliant he was on service. In this day and age having a striker so reliant on other players creating for them is a dangerous game to play. There will always be days when the midfield behind you struggles to create, and on those days, you need your striker to produce a moment of magic, like a Suarez or Aguero would. I worry that Lukaku doesn't have it in him to produce that moment of magic.

TheOrgazoid

Looks really tired.
He needs a few games on the bench, just to be rested.
We should start any one/two of Rashford, Martial or Zlatan up front against Brighton.

Ban

Hard times for Lukaku it seems.
When you read not a United level striker that's a start of a downhill.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Surprisingly, he is playing pretty much like many here feared he might play before we signed him. Altough, I believe even doubters hoped his movement and scoring rate would be better. If he was United academy player or some cheap signing from some shit team he would get far more criticism. See Smalling, Lingard, Rashford, Blind, etc.

poacher

I can't believe the number of posters on here that were saying he's just as good as Kane. It's obvious that Lakaku is a decent striker but will never be world class. Kane is far better than Lukaku. He should have scored tonight as should Fellaini.

We should still top the group as we have a 4 goal difference advantage over Basel heading into the last game. I hope Jose still rests the players for the final CL game as we need them fresh against Man City and we have already effectively qualified first in the group.

Bobski

Not technically good enough for the level Utd aspire to be at. Lost count of the number of times over the Summer I read/heard it does not matter how bad his touch is as long as he scores goals, do people still believe that?

Zoo

Not great but at least he showed signs of being able to work with Zlatan.

He’ll start firing again.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Honestly, what do we do with a 75m striker that isn't that good.

Strikers like Suarez when he was younger, you can see the talent is there but it just needs to click. Lukaku really doesn't have that, it's not his fault obviously and I can see he works really hard but that's the best way to put it.

Jagga7

:lol: I got so much flack earlier in the season when I said he wasn't a top level striker. Now it seem's like everyone's on the bandwagon. As soon as he scores half the cafe will sway the other way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.