6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

A bit unfair on him there. Although unaesthetic, his touches are usually effective and his link up play facing the goal is capable to say the least.

Would agree that it needs improvement in certain aspects. He seems to need to summon up every bit of balance and coordination he has just to trap a pass. Till he improves on this he'll struggle as a targetman against the better teams. So far they just seem to easily nick the ball off him while he's labouring to control a pass
Andy Cole was mentioned earlier. For me he had a tremendous build for a striker, lean wiry strength with exceptional agility. No excess mass to slow him down, at times I think Lukaku could do with slimming down, could help his coordination, get his feet a little sharper, quicker recovery for the next run.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No joke, put Rashford up top and Lukaku at RW. Let him bulldoze his way through from the right and cut in with his left foot.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We shall see.. I do like it when he drifts to the right, but once teams clock on to that, we shall see what other tactical manoeuvres he has up his arsenal. Look, I want the guy to do well, but for me the way I have seen Morata for example play against Atletico in the CL, he drifts into a variety of areas and he is decisive with his link up play and he has a better awareness in general of his team mates, when to pass it, how to control it, he's even better in physical confrontations (in the air or holding it up).

Lukaku against Chelsea.

Top class movement and hold up play. Also some nice flicks.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lukaku against Chelsea.

Top class movement and hold up play. Also some nice flicks.
He was sensational that game. Top drawer performance.

That is the issue though, Lukaku in beast mode.. he's got that sort of performance in him especially against Arsenal, he's tore them apart numerous times. It is the consistency of touch which has been the bone of contention, and far too often it has been apparent his hold up play at this moment in time isn't up to scratch and that it wasn't just a myth.

My own opinion is that he seems like a great guy, a hard worker.. and he's still youngish, so who knows, he can maybe really up his level in that regard if he realises that at a club like United.. he can't afford to have a mediocre hold up game.

Pogbasky

Is there a stat for the amount of times Lukaku takes 3 touches instead of 1 to control a ball and in doing so loses the chance to play a dangerous pass or kills the momentum of a break? That is the problem with the likes of Squawka and WhoScored, tons of data, little context.
So it has now moved from him having a terrible first touch (a myth he has done well to dispel), to this 3 touch thing? lol. Ok.

I'll admit that Lukaku is not a complete striker that does it all such as a Ronaldo (R9) or Suarez or even Eto'o. But those are all time greats. Lukaku is more in the bracket of players such as Christian Vieri (a player whose game he actually closely resembles), Adriano, Diego Costa and Gonzalo Higuin. Not exactly all time greats but perfectly adequate to lead the line of a great team. Morata on the other hand hasn't done much in his career (don't forget that he was Juve first choice striker a couple of seasons ago), so I'm not sure where this notion that he walks on water is coming from.

Personally I think United and Chelsea will be fine with both players. United went for the lower risk player. Morata has nicer touch than Lukaku, but Berbatov also had a better touch than Christien Vieri, yet no one could tell me that Berbatov was better than Vieri. There is more to one's game than aesthetics.

Last edited:

Bobski

So it has now moved from him having a terrible first touch (a myth he has done well to dispel), to this 3 touch thing? lol. Ok.

I'll admit that Lukaku is not a complete striker that does it all such as a Ronaldo (R9) or Suarez or even Eto'o. But those are all time greats. Lukaku is more in the bracket of players such as Christian Vieri (a player whose game he actually closely resembles), Adriano, Diego Costa and Gonzalo Higuin. Not exactly all time greats but perfectly adequate to lead the line of a great team. Morata on the other hand hasn't done much in his career (don't forget that he was Juve first choice striker a couple of seasons ago), so I'm not sure where this notion that he walks on water is coming from.

Personally I think United and Chelsea will be fine with both players. United went for the lower risk player. Morata has nicer touch than Lukaku, but Berbatov also had a better touch than Christien Vieri, yet no one could tell me that Berbatov was better than Vieri. There is more to one's game than aesthetics.
Have not mentioned Morata, neither he nor Lukaku were the ideal target for a team looking to build towards being a consistent challenger at the top end of the CL.

3 touches, first touch, lay offs, all part of the same problem( and he is far from dispelling the myth over his poor/erratic touch imo) a technical deficiency that can limit his and more importantly the teams potential in key games when chances are at a premium. Go away to Barca/Madrid/PSG and you might only get a handful of situations where you can create from. Need the attackers to be sharp in those moments, Lukaku will still score 30 odd goals this season but he needs to prove he can impact those big matches.

BenjaminP

39th minute. He passes to Mata and stands still. That's why he is bad.
Exactly what I thought. His movement off the ball is so bad.
I hope it's an area he can improve on, but currently his movement, finishing, passing, shooting everything is not quite good.

El Jefe

39th minute. He passes to Mata and stands still. That's why he is bad.
Incredibly lazy player.

It might explain why defences find it easy to keep him quiet. He just doesn't do all he can to work his markers as much as he needs to.

Pogbasky

Exactly what I thought. His movement off the ball is so bad.
I hope it's an area he can improve on, but currently his movement, finishing, passing, shooting everything is not quite good.
He's been moving excellently the whole game and all you can do is point out one incident?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
His lack of movement/poor choice of runs is crippling us. Then when he gets a chance to do what we’ve paid so much money for, he either skies it or heads at the keeper.

Very worrying.

Kag

It's amazing that every seemingly good player we buy is apparently shite when they get here. It's as if there isn't wider problems at heart.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Ok, I've waited a while to post on his 'dip' because I really thought he did so well in his first few months here...

But you know what? He's lost his directness. That's what I see when I watch him these days. He's hesitant and not as direct and that fraction of a difference in his play makes a big difference in his effectiveness.

As an aside, I seem to recall that this dip in directness and confidence began right when that awful song was being sung that he came out and had to ask to be stopped...

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's been moving excellently the whole game and all you can do is point out one incident?
Totally disagree, he's incredibly static. Anytime Mata/Rashford are running across the field looking for something ahead of them, he's standing stock still, next to a defender.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
His movement isnt nonexistent, it is just nothing special. Players like Mbappe and Cavani have such good movement that it is incredibly easy to create chances for them, best example being Cristiano Ronaldo. I think it might have been a mistake to sign him, we are stuck with him certainly for the coming years because of his age and price tag.

Rossa

Ok, I've waited a while to post on his 'dip' because I really thought he did so well in his first few months here...

But you know what? He's lost his directness. That's what I see when I watch him these days. He's hesitant and not as direct and that fraction of a difference in his play makes a big difference in his effectiveness.

As an aside, I seem to recall that this dip in directness and confidence began right when that awful song was being sung that he came out and had to ask to be stopped...
Took away his manhood, they did.

His movement isnt nonexistent, it is just nothing special. Players like Mbappe and Cavani have such good movement that it is incredibly easy to create chances for them, best example being Cristiano Ronaldo. I think it might have been a mistake to sign him, we are stuck with him certainly for the coming years because of his age and price tag.
His first few games he was constantly running in behind and across the back line. Something has changed because he just stands still at the moment.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Or you know they play in highly attacking team where everyone i on the move and it's easier to create chances.

Minimalist

While the attack overall is lacking in cohesion, he'll get some slack.

He certainly isn't going beyond his basic duty today.

Lord_Emz

That was infuriating. He is dropping deeper and deeper to get involved. Stay on the last man ffs.
Ffs he did that all season and y'all moaned that he doesn't drop deep to get involved when things aren't moving forward, now you want him on the last man? You should be our number 9!

AshRK

Can't blame him alone when others around him are equally playing like donkeys.

Ffs he did that all season and y'all moaned that he doesn't drop deep to get involved when things aren't moving forward, now you want him on the last man? You should be our number 9!
What? Who ever said that. Not me. Zlatan did it all last year and it was equally annoying then.

redNATION

He's never going to be a player in the mould of RVP or Lewandowksi, who can create something from nothing, and win matches on their own. But, he doesnt seem to be like Drogba either, he cant impose himself or bully defenders with his size, Drogba lacked finesse, but he was a nightmare to play against, and an inspiration leading the line. Lukaku can score some goals, but at this level we need so much more.

Hoof the ball

There's a certain level of hypocrisy in how Mourinho treats Mhki and how he treats Lukaku. On one hand, rightfully he drops Mhki citing reasons related to productivity and effort all over the pitch, and on the other hand wrongfully plays Lukaku in every game despite a significant drop in productivity and effort all over the pitch. There's not a consistent standard of treatment.

walkinhop

48th minute. Mata has the ball, Lukaku stays behind a defender.

He is literally blind, i think.

52nd minute. Martial with the ball. Lukaku literally behind 2 defenders pointing down to his feet...Optimist or ?

Kapardin

There's a certain level of hypocrisy in how Mourinho treats Mhki and how he treats Lukaku. On one hand, rightfully he drops Mhki citing reasons related to productivity and effort all over the pitch, and on the other hand wrongfully plays Lukaku in every game despite a significant drop in productivity and effort all over the pitch. There's not a consistent standard of treatment.
Well, Lukaku is a striker, and Mkhi is a #10. Who can lead the line without Lukaku? Rashford? He's currently as bad as Lukaku. Zlatan is not yet fit.

This season will determine whether Lukaku is fit to lead the line. If he fails, he will be an expensive bench option next season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well, Lukaku is a striker, and Mkhi is a #10. Who can lead the line without Lukaku? Rashford? He's currently as bad as Lukaku. Zlatan is not yet fit.

This season will determine whether Lukaku is fit to lead the line. If he fails, he will be an expensive bench option next season.
There's zero chance of Lukaku being a bench option next season. Literally zero.

Kapardin

There's zero chance of Lukaku being a bench option next season. Literally zero.
After a bit of a rethink, gotta agree with you. I think he will get to 20-25 goals and retain his spot. The question is how well he is going to influence games and how his all-round play improves.

His price tag will ensure that he gets a chance when we make other attacking reinforcements at the expense of Mata or Mkhi.

Charles Miller

He can be effective if we play to his strenghts all the time.
I dont think United should play that way but i dont blame him.
When you sign a young striker with those characteristics you're signaling what will be your playing style for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.