Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He had a better than acceptable season last. He's been one our worst players so far this season. Sanchez would have been a good shout to try out for a few games as a forward.

meamth

We need a classy center forward!

Credits to him anyway, he worked his arse off for that comeback.

LoneStar

If a new attacking minded manager comes in, he won't last long.

He has absolutely no stand out qualities for a striker. Big and cumbersome.

Our best play yesterday came when we completely bypassed him. Might as well not be there during that time. I say this again, bench him and play Sanchez on top.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
@ around 00:25-00:32 you see one of Lukaku's biggest issues, lack of intelligent movement to find himself in the box in dangerous positions. Pogba makes a good long ball to Young, from that point it's easy to see for anyone with a brain cell that he will try to cross it inside the box. Lukaku doesn't make even a sprint to get inside the box. With that kinda lethargic movement, no wonder he struggles so much

King_Cantona07

Time to bench him and play sanchez. He will get goals this guy is absolute waste. Played better when he stayed off moves or didn’t get involved. Annoying thing is he is not taking shots in box either which striker will lay off to a midfielder when facing goal and in shooting position.

el3mel

@ around 00:25-00:32 you see one of Lukaku's biggest issues, lack of intelligent movement to find himself in the box in dangerous positions. Pogba makes a good long ball to Young, from that point it's easy to see for anyone with a brain cell that he will try to cross it inside the box. Lukaku doesn't make even a sprint to get inside the box. With that kinda lethargic movement, no wonder he struggles so much

Yep. That's why the excuse of him not getting chances doesn't stand. His rubbish movement makes it hard for anyone to create for him. Honestly feel for his teammates.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Only we could sign a £75m striker with so many issues in his game.

Think Lukaku shows far more promise as a rightsided forward.His delivery from the wide right is actually very good.
But he's just not instinctive enough in the area.He's too flat footed.

Preferably I would like to see a forward line of Martial--Sanchez--Lukaku. Think that has a good enough potential for a top 4 challenge atleast.

sergiosigurvinson

He has too many limitations to be a target or a centreforward.
The only really good game he had in the World Cup was against Brasil, then he played as a right winger. He destroyed the Brasilian left back.

Foxbatt

He has no instincts. He is always on the back foot. He wants the ball played to his feet and when it's played the defender nicks it in front of him because he is on the back foot.
As another op said how can you create for him when he has no movement?

Djemba-Djemba

His movement is really poor which is something you can really see when you see him live at games.

I don't know if he's carrying a knock, if he's too heavy, or if he's just becoming increasingly lazy but he's been awful this season.

Cloud7

Yep. That's why the excuse of him not getting chances doesn't stand. His rubbish movement makes it hard for anyone to create for him. Honestly feel for his teammates.
I sometimes wonder if the Lukaku who gives interviews is the same one who plays on the pitch. The Lukaku who gave that interview over the summer where he talked about how determined he is, how hungry he is to succeed etc, does not look like the Lukaku who ambles around the field for us.

I struggle to think of a lazier CF in the whole league, never mind in the top 6.

The difference a player like Firmino would make to our team would be astounding. It’s time for Lukaku to hit the bench now, and I can’t see how he will survive under another manager besides Jose, whenever that time comes.

King_Cantona07

He doesn’t present himself to receive ball. Most often passes to him in box by the time it reaches him, he is behind a defender. Quick nimble movements to come in front of defender in box is non existent. Is he hiding from ball due to lack of confidence ?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I'd be interested to see Lukaku on the right of a forward 3. He's the best crosser at the club imo:

Perhaps Martial on the left and Sanchez/Rashford central.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'd be interested to see Lukaku on the right of a forward 3. He's the best crosser at the club imo:

Perhaps Martial on the left and Sanchez/Rashford central.
He was fantastic when he moved wide right, it really seems to suit him. His inswingers are dangerous and he gets ball to run on to rather than hard into his feet which he can’t control.

Andersons Dietician

There were times when he got the ball and he was just bulldozing people and running away from them, it’s impressive to see but yeah when he moved out wide and had the support he was far better and his crossing was on point.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think he suffers from a lack of meaninful competition as striker. Every other position in the team has someone capable of playing there (albeit badly in most cases) but Lukaku really has no competition whatsoever, as it looks like Mourinho sees Rashford, Martial and Sanchez as wingers. A short term back up, maybe a loan, would be a big benefit in January just to give him a kick up the arse.

Greck

He can't excel at right wing imo. People base this on his crosses when he drifts wide on counters which are fantastic but on those occasions he's often ahead of everyone with space to work with. As a wide player he'd actually have to create space for his crosses with footwork. He'd be picking the ball from deeper

Johan07

Lukaku is a very good player when utilized towards his strenghts.
As a Mourinho No 9 you are required to play with your back towards the opponents goal most of the time though. Your main objective in possession will be to try stay up as high as possibly centrally and force the CBs back towards their own goal. And hold up the ball when we do counter. Thats essential, since we sit back with the entire team and it takes a couple of seconds to transition.
He gets dissed in this thread for being static; well in possession its what he is supposed to be. Dont blame him for that.
What one can blame him for is exactly the fact that his hold-up play is still not nearly good enough. Which is his major responsibility in a Mourinho team.
I thought he was starting to do better in this regard the second part of last season, and looked much more sharp in the WC as well. Now he looks like pinball machine again, the ball just ricochets from him at every moment.
If its anything that is handicapping our play this season its this. We will never be able to play effective counterattacking football if we dont have a No9 that can hold up the ball.
Zlatan was/is so much better at this and if Lukaku doesnt shape this part of his game up, Fellaini will do a better job as No9.
Me and many others probably want to see a completely different approach to our play, but as long as Mourinho is here this is the reality we live in.

arnie_ni

He crossed the ball one time and no one made a near post run and he started giving of stink. I laughed because he wouldn't have made the run either

montpelier

I can't believe we mean play Lukaku on the right wing - it looks ridiculous just typed out as a sentence.

Maybe you could do it as a diamond - Sanchez in behind a pair of strikers.

a DM who doesn't go anywhere & then the FBs push all the time to support the left & right MF players. 4-1-2-1-2 transposing to & from 3-4-3 / 4-3-1-2

But we won't beat anyone decent with it, they'll just press us into oblivion while that isn't happening at the other end. That'd be why you have a Firmino rather than Lukaku in that kind of system, and why Klopp probably won't be signing Fellaini. And all that's before we even look at the DM & Centre backs, who would have to take their chances I suppose, but we might be a bit happier watching.

Ultimately, Lukaku can't be persisted with unless the mobility & ball control 'inconsistency' can be improved.

Or we go deadly dull & biff it long quite a lot of the time & are tumescent / shite to watch.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'd still try him on the right and have either Rashford or Sanchez up front.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I wouldn't care if we sold him in January, the 75 million pricetag will keep him in the team for a while but I hope that the new manager will be a bit ruthless and brings in a striker and bench Lukaku, if he doesn't get a grip he should leave, it's not like we are playing with only 10 men but against 12 too, his touch, movement, finishing, is all abysmal.

What pains me the most is that he gets sometimes to some good positions from which more clinical strikers like Ruud would smash it home, he opts to pass it instead and fecks it up, he should be a bit more selfish and try to fire it from more positions, he's becoming almost useless as a striker..

el3mel

He can't play as the right flank the entire game.

However, he can drift from central position to right flank and exchange his position with Sanchez during the game to confuse the opponents a little bit from time to time.

Aloysius's Back 3

He can't play as the right flank the entire game.

However, he can drift from central position to right flank and exchange his position with Sanchez during the game to confuse the opponents a little bit from time to time.
That's exactly how we should play.

A front 3 that drifts from central areas to provide width only on the attack will merge Rashford Lukaku, Martial & Sanchez because that is how they play & like to find space.

They could all provide cover for each other & completely bamboozle the defence due to their ability to shift positions

Sanchez/Rashford - Lukaku
martial

Litch

Since 2012/13 Only 2 players have score more goals that him, Aguero (18 more) Kane (5). By the age of 25, no other foreign player has score more goals with Owen, Rooney, Kane and Folwer above him.

Stats don't lie so people need to stop the bullshit cause you don't score those goals over 5 years if you are not a top striker.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Stats don't lie so people need to stop the bullshit cause you don't score those goals over 5 years if you are not a top striker.
Not sure who's bullshitting in here? Most say if you feed him he'll score eventually. It's the entire rest of his game that's not very good.

Foxbatt

Some people want to play an interchanging front 3 with lukaLu? You can't because his movements are terrible.

laughtersassassin

Definitely need to sign a striker to compete with him cause on his current form he shouldn't be near the pitch imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.