Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

zaafi

True but casimero could be played further forward and has shown at united he has more to his game than just shielding defence like he did at madrid
That'd be way too defensive for what Ten Hag is trying to build here, hence why he bought Mount and not another defensive midfielder.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This kid has interest from Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, but he appears to be a secondary target for each club.

But with Rice signed and Partey potentially on his way to Saudi and McAlister signed and both Henderson and Fabinho potentially headed to Saudi also, both clubs can turn their attention to Lavia.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
This kid has interest from Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, but he appears to be a secondary target for each club.

But with Rice signed and Partey potentially on his way to Saudi and McAlister signed and both Henderson and Fabinho potentially headed to Saudi also, both clubs can turn their attention to Lavia.

Lavia replacing either of Fabinho/Partey would be underwhelming atleast in the short run.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lavia replacing either of Fabinho/Partey would be underwhelming atleast in the short run.
Arsenal would be replacing Partey with Rice and Lavia at this point. For Liverpool losing Hendo and Fabinho to bring in Lavia might not be enough.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal would be replacing Partey with Rice and Lavia at this point. For Liverpool losing Hendo and Fabinho to bring in Lavia might not be enough.
Well I understand Rice would mostly play as 6 but any combination of Havertz/Rice/Lavia would be underwhelming compared to Xhakha/Partey of last year. But then replacing 2 starting CMs is in any case an open heart surgery so might aswell think long term.
(Havertz has huge question mark as a CM if not as a player overall)

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
If Liverpool really do sell Fabinho to Saudi Arabia for 40m and also get some kind of fee for Henderson, it seems like they could make a play for Caicedo instead of Lavia.

Liverpool seem to have the same issue as Chelsea in this situation: Lavia looks like a good prospect but are you really going to rely on him as your starting DM? He is 19-years-old, really raw, has never played more than 2500 minutes in a season, and his only first team experience has been with a side that didn't have the ball very much.

I think it would be kind of insane for Liverpool to trot out a Lavia, MacAllister, Szobo midfield next year. Not only is that changing the entire group but you've got one 19-year-old who has never played first team football for this kind of side, one 22-year-old who is new to the league completely, and then MacAllister who I rate highly but is really a complementary all rounder that will shine in a team that is otherwise functional but isn't going to drag the team along on his own.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
If Liverpool really do sell Fabinho to Saudi Arabia for 40m and also get some kind of fee for Henderson, it seems like they could make a play for Caicedo instead of Lavia.

Liverpool seem to have the same issue as Chelsea in this situation: Lavia looks like a good prospect but are you really going to rely on him as your starting DM? He is 19-years-old, really raw, has never played more than 2500 minutes in a season, and his only first team experience has been with a side that didn't have the ball very much.

I think it would be kind of insane for Liverpool to trot out a Lavia, MacAllister, Szobo midfield next year. Not only is that changing the entire group but you've got one 19-year-old who has never played first team football for this kind of side, one 22-year-old who is new to the league completely, and then MacAllister who I rate highly but is really a complementary all rounder that will shine in a team that is otherwise functional but isn't going to drag the team along on his own.
Dont they already have a teenage DM prospect who has some minutes last season.
For CM they also have Jones/Eliot/Thiago/TAA so along with those 2 new guys Henderson exit will be covered. They do need to replace Fabinho though and honestly 40m is a good offer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well I understand Rice would mostly play as 6 but any combination of Havertz/Rice/Lavia would be underwhelming compared to Xhakha/Partey of last year. But then replacing 2 starting CMs is in any case an open heart surgery so might aswell think long term.
(Havertz has huge question mark as a CM if not as a player overall)
Lavia would essentially be back up/rotational option at Arsenal in this scenario. I’d imagine your midfield would look like this Rice, Odegaard, Havertz in most games with Lavia and Jorginho (if he stays) backing them up.

For Liverpool I agree Lavia alone wouldn’t be enough to replace Hendo and Fabinho. They would need an additional midfielder. Hopefully we will have Caicedo secured before that.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Lavia would essentially be back up/rotational option at Arsenal in this scenario. I’d imagine your midfield would look like this Rice, Odegaard, Havertz in most games with Lavia and Jorginho (if he stays) backing them up.

For Liverpool I agree Lavia alone wouldn’t be enough to replace Hendo and Fabinho. They would need an additional midfielder. Hopefully we will have Caicedo secured before that.
I not too high up on goings on at Liverpool but surely Jones, Elliot and Bagitic will be getting properly miffed if Liverpool keep buying midfielders, or are they not up to the job? Would be interesting to get a Liverpool fan view on this.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I not too high up on goings on at Liverpool but surely Jones, Elliot and Bagitic will be getting properly miffed if Liverpool keep buying midfielders, or are they not up to the job? Would be interesting to get a Liverpool fan view on this.
No idea but if they're losing Fabinho and Henderson, MacAlister probably can't be the only midfielder they bring in.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
To be fair for their style the numbers are needed. Klopp rotates. It would be very unwise to enter a season with the inexperience of Bajetic, Elliot and Jones as midfield cover. With balsa wood Thiago as the only other experienced head.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
If Pool's got additional fund from Fabinho (and potentially Jordan) sale , I think it's better for them to go for Aurelien.
He'll cost less than Moises in transfer and probably about the same in salary.
Moises knows very well his stock is at all-time high, and he'll demand top dollar for it.
That will cover the lack of height in the middle, presumably Dominik will be the further forward out of the CM's.
Aurelien was Klopp's top target last season, so he can revisit his drawing board.
Put Stefan Bajcetic as understudy and let his physique matures without too much stress.

Divert the extra change towards CB reinforcements that they severely need.
They can hang about in Moises's negotiations to drive the price up.
It could force Chelsea to soften their stance on Levi Colwill.
Pool just pulled out of contention for Micky VDV, I would hazard a guess they are now aiming higher.

Overall, getting Levi would be a better coup than Romeo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Maybe he isn’t interested in United? As you’d think paying a bit extra for Lavia would make sense to lower our midfielders age.

-Supreme-

Maybe he isn’t interested in United? As you’d think paying a bit extra for Lavia would make sense to lower our midfielders age.
Perhaps or ETH sees Kobbie Mainoo ready to come into the first team within 2 years? If that’s the case we’d benefit with someone with more experience to rotate with Casemiro and not a developmental one when we already have someone with similar age and profile in the youth team.

IrishRedDevil

Perhaps or ETH sees Kobbie Mainoo ready to come into the first team within 2 years? If that’s the case we’d benefit with someone with more experience to rotate with Casemiro and not a developmental one when we already have someone with similar age and profile in the youth team.
Or we could nurture 2 young ones and have options? Then sell whichever one we don’t want for top dollar. Like a proper football club.

-Supreme-

Or we could nurture 2 young ones and have options? Then sell whichever one we don’t want for top dollar. Like a proper football club.
For a club challenging for major trophies then it’d make sense to bring in an experienced player + development one. But yes I agree we kept on to players for too long in the past and I hope this is being addressed from this summer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hopefully that’s the case. If Mainoo was to get some serious game time this coming season yes would definitely be happy with that being preferred to a signing. Although Mainoo does look quite non to box, forward thinking to me unlike Lavia who appears to be more of a holding Cm?

JohnnyLaw

I think 40-50 might just be too steep for us when we have a player like Mainoo who’s only one year behind Lavia in terms of development. Lavia was a youth player a year ago let’s not forget.

-Supreme-

Hopefully that’s the case. If Mainoo was to get some serious game time this coming season yes would definitely be happy with that being preferred to a signing. Although Mainoo does look quite non to box, forward thinking to me unlike Lavia who appears to be more of a holding Cm?
Yes he looks like a player that is flexible to play as 6 or 8 imo. It’s difficult to judge until they come into the first team regularly especially when he’s just 18.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No idea but if they're losing Fabinho and Henderson, MacAlister probably can't be the only midfielder they bring in.
Hasn't Caciedo's name been floated towards Liverpool in recent days?

I think Lavia is a very talented player but I've always seen him as a ball carrying 8 type so not sure why Liverpool would sign him and attempt to convert him into Fabinho's role unless they think he's got long term potential to develop that skillset.

Same with endless people on here saying Man. United should sign him, you've just got in Mount who for certain games next season will be playing that exact role.

Said it before but Brighton would be a perfect move for Lavia at this point, somewhere he could go and start 50 games but I doubt they'd enter the bidding even if they get a huge amount for Caciedo.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Don’t mistake his build for being a defensive midfielder, he’s not

-Supreme-

Saying Mainoo can play 6 or 8 is like saying McTominay can play 6 or 8
The difference is McT has been playing for how long in the first team compared to Mainoo who is only 18? It’s too early to make a judgement call until he’s played in the first team consistently.

Edit to say if people still think McT can play as a 6 after all these years then that’s another matter

zaafi

Saying Mainoo can play 6 or 8 is like saying McTominay can play 6 or 8
Do you think he can be formed into a 6? Not only does he have the physique and tenacity for it, but more importantly the technique and press resistance to play there.
Obviously there is much more you need to play 6 to a high level, but I just don't see him breaking through as an 8 if Ten Hag wants to continue with two very attack-oriented 8/10s.

golden_blunder

Staff
The difference is McT has been playing for how long in the first team compared to Mainoo who is only 18? It’s too early to make a judgement call until he’s played in the first team consistently.
But it’s not his game style. Why would you suddenly decide that is where he plays? We did the same to McTominay for no reason other than his build. Time to start playing people in their natural roles

-Supreme-

But it’s not his game style. Why would you suddenly decide that is where he plays? We did the same to McTominay for no reason other than his build. Time to start playing people in their natural roles
Natural roles is decided by the head coach, let’s just see in the coming years if he makes it in the first team squad.

golden_blunder

Staff
Do you think he can be formed into a 6? Not only does he have the physique and tenacity for it, but more importantly the technique and press resistance to play there.
Obviously there is much more you need to play 6 to a high level, but I just don't see him breaking through as an 8 if Ten Hag wants to continue with two very attack-oriented 8/10s.
Not sure - he would need the awareness that the position requires and I’m not in a position to answer that one. His career to date has all been forward thinking. It would be like asking Pogba to play DM. Capable occasionally but not something you want long term.
but I get that he is young, but on the flip side I worry about his career if that experiment goes wrong just like McTominay and Fred

Reyoji-Utd

Think this one may be right profile but wrong time for us. I think EtH wants to have more experiences on the Midfield and he more likely go for Amrabat than Lavia also maybe factor in Mainoo. Think this is the reality of most teams that are challenging or try to for the tittle but know deep down unless miracle happens, tittle wont part ways with City. We cant afford to have less experience especially the margin in the PL is very very slim compare to other leagues. City could afford to have a youngster for majority of the games with minimal effects on their plays but not for other teams.

Robertd0803

I think 40-50 might just be too steep for us when we have a player like Mainoo who’s only one year behind Lavia in terms of development. Lavia was a youth player a year ago let’s not forget.
The advantage is Southampton had the ability to start Lavia every week so Id say hes possibly even further ahead.

If the plan is to integrate Mainoo and Hannibal over buying the likes of Lavia then I'm all for it.
Yeah, think theres a certain shiny new toy approach here when we have players that can possibly be integrated in to similar roles. The advantage is Lavia has the extra season experience.

davidmichael

I’m not sure why people are putting Mainoo forward as a defensive midfielder and a reason not to pursue a long term replacement for Casemiro as Mainoo is about as much a defensive midfielder as Pogba was, he’s a box to box player who can dictate play and beat opposition players so he’d need a defensive midfielder to play alongside.