Ronaldinho takes the michael...

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
When he scored, he smiled. When he failed, he still smiled. Football was like his living force. The sheer thought of seeing him under SAF....wow. Like Sharky7 said, we should have gone for him the moment he was available for Milan.
Probably the best player ever in his peak. His smile made him so human. I character everybody could love. Even at Bernabeu.

Plan M

Why has this turned into yet another *player* v Messi debate?

The Caf is going downhill fast :(

LARulz

He is incredible. Really wish we had him here, the things he could do with a ball were just amazing, he can obviously still do it but not the level he was at a few years ago I guess. One of the most naturally talented footballers ever to grace the game, and he should be remembered like that for many years.

That touch though :drool:

Plan M

Maybe when you're about
That's good, I'll have to remember that one!

:rolleyes:

It's true though, it seems that every thread turns into a *player* v Messi or a Ronaldo v *player* debate these days. So tedious.

Can't people just enjoy the beautiful game without feeling the need to "support" a specific footballer?

Sad.

Dion

I've never seen a player who at his peak consistently made me think "how the feck has he done that?" (apart from Jermaine Easter at Hartlepool, but for very different reasons).

He was there when watching Barcelona was a true joy, not sure there has ever been a more exciting footballer.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
So long as we are talking about magnificent first touches.

Oh and Ronaldinho was on another planet some times, disgustingly good footballer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What was so incredible about him was that he would very often just come up with brilliance out of the blue. Most other players need their team to provide space/build pressure/create openings. More than anyone else, he could just turn it on at the drop of a hat. I remember he used to just randomly play these brilliant cross field passes to Guily (I think at the time) without any particular flow to the game. It was just that kind of out of the blue ability that set him apart.

Probably the most devastating player I've seen. Such a shame how it fell apart for him. If anyone could have just taken his national side by the scruff of it's neck and won the World Cup, among the best players, I felt he was the man in recent times.

Sw33t

Ronaldinho has done one thing Messi has not, and who knows if he ever will.

That's win the World Cup

Fuel to the fire!

Most technically gifted player I've ever seen. He was pure brilliance

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Imagination is the key to creativity and he had that more than any player I've seen. Not the best and not the most talented but easily the most entertaining when he was on form.

204Red

Barca now >>> Barca 04/06

But Ronaldinho shone brighter as an individual.

Messi is the cherry on top the cake (albeit a very large, talented, skillful, mobile cake)

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Barca now >>> Barca 04/06

But Ronaldinho shone brighter as an individual.

Messi is the cherry on top the cake (albeit a very large, talented, skillful, mobile cake)
Not really. You make it sound as if Messi is a bonus in this current Barca side. He is essentially what makes them tick, regardless of anyone else.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
The most talented player I have ever seen, and probably the second best after Ronaldo. Such a swagger about his game...wonderful, wonderful footballer.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's not lazy. Zidane wasn't prone to this. Neither is Messi, neither was Figo, Laudrup, Baggio or Bergkamp.

many great players have been. Hagi, Rivaldo for example. Ronaldinho could be as bad as anyone in this regard though and it was almost sad to watch towards the latter stages of his barca career as there clearly was little gravity to his ball posturing.

Lazy is thinking that because he was creative and intelligent and brilliant at his best, he therefore could not have had such a weakness to his game. But he did.
That's bollocks. Ronnie had one(if not the best) of the best readings of the game in his prime. The difference between him and Messi, Figo, Laudrup, Zidane or whoever else is on that list is that he did it so effortless it was unreal. Can't see better passer,dribbler,entertainer in the game in his prime. Ronnie didn't have the pace Messi, fat Ronaldo had/have. He had to rely on trickery and creativity and his bag of tricks was bottomless.

At his best he unlocked English/Italian/Spanish defences. Scored against the best at the time and made a mockery out of defenders and defensive minded players like Terry/Nesta/Gattuso..the list is long.

Vision and decision making was incredible. Saying he had a "shocking" one tells me you have no clue. Pure by the numbers he had 95 goals and 77 assists in his first 4 seasons at Barca. Shocking decision making indeed. He doesn't play the same advanced role like Messi to hit 50 goals a season. In his prime he was the playmaker, goalscorer, main man who made the magic happen.

Let's not forget that in the 06' route to the final Ronaldinho was the star man in Barca team, without Xavi(missing half of the season due to injury) or todays Iniesta. Barca had much weaker team at that time.

To me Ronnie remains the most naturally gifted player I've seen in my life. This includes Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo(fat and slim one), Messi, Giggs, Cantona, etc...That doesn't necessary makes him the best out of the lot(for that I rate fat Ronaldo as #1) but when it comes to flair and creativity I can't think of someone better.

dhstriker

President of the Jamie Redknapp fan club
He was the most innovative footballer there's ever been. He just invented so many moves and tricks that no-one had even thought of before. A waste of a talent. He could easily have been the best ever.
But wouldn't you say his party lifestyle contributed to his innovation on the pitch? Footballers who party end up wasting away by the time they're 32, and in Ronaldinho's case, I think he got the best out of the years he was given.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
But wouldn't you say his party lifestyle contributed to his innovation on the pitch? Footballers who party end up wasting away by the time they're 32, and in Ronaldinho's case, I think he got the best out of the years he was given.
I'm sure it did, he had a very carefree demeanour on the pitch and you'd imagine that carried through from his general lifestyle. He's been in trouble for missing training at every club he's been to since leaving PSG I think, he was just pure lazy on the pitch and all in all he seemed to lack the level of professionalism that was demanded of almost every other player at a top club. The fact that he could do so and still be without question the best player in the world spoke volumes of his natural gifts.

It's a shame to see him in the state he's in now an absolute shadow of himself even in terms of just pure skill and imagination, IMO. His lack of professionalism isn't what did him it's the lack of drive (although of course they're linked), quite simply the magic's gone. A great shame that he couldn't have prolonged his career better.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not really. You make it sound as if Messi is a bonus in this current Barca side. He is essentially what makes them tick, regardless of anyone else.
The current Barca team doesn't have a weak spot. Man by man and as a team they are much better than the one in 06. Again, let's not forget Xavi was missing for the whole campaign. Ronaldinho was the Xavi and the Messi in that side.

His peak didn't last long but in his heyday. Can't see anyone better. Fergie wouldn't let a talent like him to get wasted in 4 seasons. If he had the same grit and determination like Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes etc, he would be the best player for many many years, bar none..

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
You really think they'd be the same team without Messi and with someone else?

Who else on this planet plays the "false" striker role as well as Messi?
Messi's not even a 'false striker'. Messi drifts all over the place, but does his best work in midfield when he drops deep, in the inside-forward position where his dribbling ability comes to the fore, and as a striker where he finishes off moves. He's in my eyes the 'total footballer', the exact footballer Cruijff had in mind when Michels and Reynolds laid down the 'totaalvoetball' philosophy.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Well yes we are getting into naming specifics again.

He is their "striker" as their most central player. But he doesn't play as a traditional striker at all and as you say does his best work as a midfield playmaker. So he is a bit of a false striker.

Point being, there is no player on the planet that can do what he does with such efficiency, skill and grace. He makes Barca tick just as much if not more than Xavi

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
You really think they'd be the same team without Messi and with someone else?

Who else on this planet plays the "false" striker role as well as Messi?
Of course they would miss Messi I just think it is Xavi who makes them tick the way they do

Another way of putting it is that it isn't always the most individually talented player that is the making of the whole.

I'm not saying I am right, Just what I feel. (I know that is a hard concept for some to grasp because they live on thinking they are right)

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
That's bollocks. Ronnie had one(if not the best) of the best readings of the game in his prime. The difference between him and Messi, Figo, Laudrup, Zidane or whoever else is on that list is that he did it so effortless it was unreal. Can't see better passer,dribbler,entertainer in the game in his prime. Ronnie didn't have the pace Messi, fat Ronaldo had/have. He had to rely on trickery and creativity and his bag of tricks was bottomless.

At his best he unlocked English/Italian/Spanish defences. Scored against the best at the time and made a mockery out of defenders and defensive minded players like Terry/Nesta/Gattuso..the list is long.

Vision and decision making was incredible. Saying he had a "shocking" one tells me you have no clue. Pure by the numbers he had 95 goals and 77 assists in his first 4 seasons at Barca. Shocking decision making indeed. He doesn't play the same advanced role like Messi to hit 50 goals a season. In his prime he was the playmaker, goalscorer, main man who made the magic happen.

Let's not forget that in the 06' route to the final Ronaldinho was the star man in Barca team, without Xavi(missing half of the season due to injury) or todays Iniesta. Barca had much weaker team at that time.

To me Ronnie remains the most naturally gifted player I've seen in my life. This includes Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo(fat and slim one), Messi, Giggs, Cantona, etc...That doesn't necessary makes him the best out of the lot(for that I rate fat Ronaldo as #1) but when it comes to flair and creativity I can't think of someone better.
This is really easy to settle: Did ronaldinho perpetually slow down play by lingering on the ball? yes/no? yes.

is that a smart thing to do? Yes/no. No.

Does it reflect sound decisionmaking? yes/no? No.

Was he prone to some shocking decisionmaking then? Yes.

Other aspects of his decisionmaking was outstanding. But he played like a primadonna.

PS. Stop calling him 'ronnie' ffs.

PPS. Ronaldinho had great pace.

beardsleybob

That's good, I'll have to remember that one!

:rolleyes:

It's true though, it seems that every thread turns into a *player* v Messi or a Ronaldo v *player* debate these days. So tedious.

Can't people just enjoy the beautiful game without feeling the need to "support" a specific footballer?

Sad.
Sometimes I think we'd all be better off as neutrals...

Personally I'd put the likes of Scholes, Zidane and Ronaldinho on a different level to in terms of pure talent with the ball and the way they were a level above everyone mentally. The likes of Messi and Ronaldo have great ability and their productivity and athletic attributes are insane, but I prefer Ronaldinho to them both. Messi does things that make ya congratulate him for pullling off a great piece of play, however Ronnie did things that were previously thought impossible.

Claymore

Ronaldinho for me over the other chap. WHAT a player. The things he did with a football were just another universe. Proper skill.

Both great players of the game no doubt and very different, as are many others.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Ronaldinho did whatever he wanted to do on the pitch, and nobody could stop him when he felt like it. Trouble was, he sometimes only felt like doing so for less than 3 mins each game.

Messi on the other hand, he would just constantly bug at you like a flea and eventually it'll get you.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Imagination is the key to creativity and he had that more than any player I've seen. Not the best and not the most talented but easily the most entertaining when he was on form.
I'm not so sure about that. The fact that he had that imagination mean't that often he didn't need the support most players do. Most players need space or a flow to the game towards their team to start doing their stuff. Ronaldhinio often just did it out of the blue. For me that doesn't just mean he was entertaining. I think that directly affects how good he was because I can't remember anyone else who could be so devastating in doing that. The rest I've seen at least, all needed a bigger platform provided to them to play well.

LLMU

there is no other player that i 've seen did a no-look pass on the football pitch other than Ronaldinho. Having said that i will always remember his freekick against Seaman in WC2002

Cold_Boy

there is no other player that i 've seen did a no-look pass on the football pitch other than Ronaldinho. Having said that i will always remember his freekick against Seaman in WC2002
Anderson?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Haven't watched much football then? It's not that novel. And at any rate, it was a signature move of a previous barca 10:

Enigma_87

You know who
This is really easy to settle: Did ronaldinho perpetually slow down play by lingering on the ball? yes/no? yes.
I think we have different perceptions of what we have seen from him. Ronaldinho was one of the best at releasing players and playing one touch game. He sometime lingered on the ball, like every player(Zidane/Messi/Ronaldo are not exceptions) but most often his decision making was spot on. In 06 Championsl league campaign he took part in like 80% of the goals - giving the final pass, or scoring it himself or heavily involved in the build up.

I don't think he slowed down the play, quite the opposite, with one touch he opened spaces.

is that a smart thing to do? Yes/no. No.
Again this is your perception, not the actual thing.

Does it reflect sound decisionmaking? yes/no? No.
You try to build your entire argument on a statement you find true, with which I do not agree.

Was he prone to some shocking decisionmaking then? Yes.
Look up Ronaldinho in his prime and see his decision making. Can't see a player that could create more and better chances out of nothing.

Other aspects of his decisionmaking was outstanding. But he played like a primadonna.
No, it seemed he played like that, because of the ease he did it. I've seen him making 40-50 yards no look passes - especially the one to Eto'o against Real in one of the derbies...

PS. Stop calling him 'ronnie' ffs.
Why does that bother you?

PPS. Ronaldinho had great pace.
No, he was noticeably slower than Ronaldo(both)/Messi/Giggs etc.

He was a pacy player, but great pace? Don't think so.